Are Welker's Days in NE numbered?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Are Welker's Days in NE numbered?

Mega Tron's huge deal really throws a wrench in the works for Welker to get a long term deal in New England.  Heck a bunch of F/A WRs just signed for more on an annual basis than Welker will earn on his franchise tag, assuming he signs it.  Can anyone argue that Welker's numbers aren't equally impressive compared to Calvin Johnson over the past 5 years?  Granted CJ is 4-5 years younger.

Welker   GP-77, REC-554/6,105/31, FD-317, FUM-4, LST-1
    Johnson GP-76, REC-366/5,872/49, FD-270, FUM-8, LST-5

Let's not forget Welker had about 2,000 more in return yards where CJ never returned kicks.

I hope I'm wrong but we could be seeing Welker get Seymour'ed outa here on a tag and trade if the Pats' brass don't think they can keep him past this year.  It's all about getting value for a player if you know you can't keep him, remember? 

We could tag him again next year at 120% of this year which would be $11.4MM in 2013.  But the Pats don't typically pay over $10MM for a WR, which is another problem, especially if they are looking ahead past this year, Moss was the only WR I can remember who made that kind of coin with us.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

Re: Are Welker's Days in NE numbered?

I sure hope not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Seymour made it clear that he was leaving after his contract. Welker hasn't indicated that. Certainly a deal can be done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

If welker played anywhere else he wouldnt be considered an elite wr. it is only because he fits perfectly here. on top of that, he is getting older and has taken tons of hits
    i think welker deserves a contract like the colts gave wayne- three years 17.5 million- that would be fair

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Are Welker's Days in NE numbered?:
    [QUOTE]Seymour made it clear that he was leaving after his contract. Welker hasn't indicated that. Certainly a deal can be done.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

I don't remember it that way at all.  The team knew Seymour would be demanding BIG bucks and that a deal wouldn't get done so they traded him with a year left on his contract.  Remember he held out the time before?  They didn't want to go through that again.

With Welker, it's going to be all about how comfortable the Pats are giving him what would need to be the 2nd highest contract on the team for a guy who turns 31 soon and who is more of a product of Brady and the system than he is skill set.  Not knocking his skill set, just saying he wouldn't have put up those numbers anywhere else. 

I can't see the Pats paying him Calvin Johnson money but that's where the bar has been set for the best WR in the NFL.  If Johnson is #1, Welker is certainly #2 or 3.  It would take $14MM a year to get a long term deal done now and the Pats just won't go that high, pretty sure.  The Pats could tag him 3 years in a row before hitting $14MM.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]If welker played anywhere else he wouldnt be considered an elite wr. it is only because he fits perfectly here. on top of that, he is getting older and has taken tons of hits i think welker deserves a contract like the colts gave wayne- three years 17.5 million- that would be fair
    Posted by patthepatriot666[/QUOTE]
    They offered him 2 years at $16MM last season and he turned it down.  I could see a situation where the Pats sit Welker down and tell him they will tag him twice and he will earn $20.9MM.  Or they can tag him 3 times and he'll earn $34.58MM.  Or they can agree on a 3 year deal for $30MM where he gets most of it up front as a signing bonus.  But $10MM a year would be considered a slap in the face.  I don't know how this is going to end good.

That's why I think a tag and trade could be in the works.  The Pats would probably take a 2nd this year and 1st next year for him right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Welker has 31 TD in 5 years. Calvin has 28 in his last 2 and he's not even in his prime. Welker is a good player but he could never do what Calvin does when double and tripled teamed at times and their redzone abilities aren't even comparable. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Garcon just got 8 million per year.  I think he sucks in general let alone compared to WW.  It is those contracts that make it more likely that WW is gone rather than the ones given to guys like Johnson or Fitzgerald.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

high price of WRs and depth of the position in this draft class make it all the more logical to draft a WR or two.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]high price of WRs and depth of the position in this draft class make it all the more logical to draft a WR or two.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

+1

I am sure that Branch will want more money after seeing some of these contracts....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I've been saying for the last two weeks that I think the Patriots may be preparing for his departure. If they trade him a good landing spot would be KC. However they won't trade him until they have a comparable replacement,the candidates are available Gonzalez and Armedola are very similar and of course Edelman has been his understudy for the last 3 years. Stranger things have happened in the NFL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

With the two tags its like a 2 year 20 million deal

If Wes turned down say 4 and 30 or 5 and 40 then he should expect to get these tags and thats not the Pats problem. 5' 7" slot guys don't get 10-12 million a year

if we can get a 1st rd pick or even a 2nd rd pick in the 35-50 range and a future 2nd or 3rd for Wes I would do it and get Amendola for pick 61 and throw him, Hernandez, Gonzalez and Edelman into the slot

add Lloyd of course

and use the Welker picks/$ on defense, we didn't win any Super Bowls b/c of Welker and we won 3 b/c of defense. The passing attack is going to be great with Gronk, Hernandez, Lloyd, Branch, Amendola, Gonzalez, Edelman, Slater and maybe Ocho

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]With the two tags its like a 2 year 20 million deal If Wes turned down say 4 and 30 or 5 and 40 then he should expect to get these tags and thats not the Pats problem. 5' 7" slot guys don't get 10-12 million a year if we can get a 1st rd pick or even a 2nd rd pick in the 35-50 range and a future 2nd or 3rd for Wes I would do it and get Amendola for pick 61 and throw him, Hernandez, Gonzalez and Edelman into the slot add Lloyd of course and use the Welker picks/$ on defense, we didn't win any Super Bowls b/c of Welker and we won 3 b/c of defense. The passing attack is going to be great with Gronk, Hernandez, Lloyd, Branch, Amendola, Gonzalez, Edelman, Slater and maybe Ocho
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

rame as usual, same thoughts, been postin here last cople a months that it may be time. there are some great slot guys throughout this draft and some wont ever be drafted

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yeah if he doesn't take 4/30 or 5/40 by draft time I really think we should trade him for picks. Just Llloyd and Gonzalez added to the mix already is a fine group of WR's, upgrade Benny and the O-line and our offense will be better

and the point is that its the defense that needs picks and FA's thrown at it, not the offense

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]Welker has 31 TD in 5 years. Calvin has 28 in his last 2 and he's not even in his prime. Welker is a good player but he could never do what Calvin does when double and tripled teamed at times and their redzone abilities aren't even comparable. 
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

yeah, I agree. Would hate to see Welker go but it's not even close at all. Calvin hasn't even hit his prime yet and will get even better, plus Welker has Brady throwing to him. Hopefully they work something out with Welker but they won't and shouldn't break the bank either.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]I've been saying for the last two weeks that I think the Patriots may be preparing for his departure. If they trade him a good landing spot would be KC. However they won't trade him until they have a comparable replacement,the candidates are available Gonzalez and Armedola are very similar and of course Edelman has been his understudy for the last 3 years. Stranger things have happened in the NFL.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]
    I can't take credit for this idea because it was TexasPats3 that first proposed it but what if we traded Welker for a high 2nd this year (and I added a 1st next) to whomever then we used our pick 31 to go get Mike Wallace?  We would then give Wallace the bombshell deal Welker wants.  Wallace is just 26 and BB has utmost respect for him.  The money could be the same and we just got 5 years younger with upside.  And, we get a pick a few spots lower back so Wallace is almost free plus you throw in a 2013 first.  IDK, I like it and it's brilliant.

We can get another slot receiver or promote Edelman.  We have plenty of targets and only so many balls to go around as it is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are Welker's Days in NE numbered? : I can't take credit for this idea because it was TexasPats3 that first proposed it but what if we traded Welker for a high 2nd this year (and I added a 1st next) to whomever then we used our pick 31 to go get Mike Wallace?  We would then give Wallace the bombshell deal Welker wants.  Wallace is just 26 and BB has utmost respect for him.  The money could be the same and we just got 5 years younger with upside.  And, we get a pick a few spots lower back so Wallace is almost free plus you throw in a 2013 first.  IDK, I like it and it's brilliant. We can get another slot receiver or promote Edelman.  We have plenty of targets and only so many balls to go around as it is.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

faucet,
    not sure what part of this is tex's?
    but when i proposed it, the only response was youre crazy and crickets :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are Welker's Days in NE numbered? : They offered him 2 years at $16MM last season and he turned it down.  I could see a situation where the Pats sit Welker down and tell him they will tag him twice and he will earn $20.9MM.  Or they can tag him 3 times and he'll earn $34.58MM.  Or they can agree on a 3 year deal for $30MM where he gets most of it up front as a signing bonus.  But $10MM a year would be considered a slap in the face.  I don't know how this is going to end good. That's why I think a tag and trade could be in the works.  The Pats would probably take a 2nd this year and 1st next year for him right now.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

This is Welker's last year as a Patriot. No way the Patriots will, or should, pay a great, but aging slot receiver huge dollars. If Wes thinks that $10mil. a year is a slap in the face, then the Pats should "insult" him no further, and move on. If the Pats can trade him for a high second rounder, they should do it in a NY minute.

I have previously suggested trading Welker for a high second, then cutting a deal with Mike Wallace, sending the Pats' 31st overall pick to Pittsburgh. The pick acquired for Welker would cancel out the one given up to get Wallace. The big money allocated for Welker could be paid to Wallace. After all, if the Pats are going to pay a WR a ton of money, doesn't it make sense to spend it on a guy entering his prime (Wallace is 26 years old) than a guy leaving his prime (Welker is 31 years old)?

Furthermore, isn't it much harder to find a legitimate deep threat, than it is to find a slot receiver? 

No offense to Wes Welker....I love the guy. But, I love the Pats' franchise more.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "Re: Are Welker's Days in NE numbered?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are Welker's Days in NE numbered? : I can't take credit for this idea because it was TexasPats3 that first proposed it but what if we traded Welker for a high 2nd this year (and I added a 1st next) to whomever then we used our pick 31 to go get Mike Wallace?  We would then give Wallace the bombshell deal Welker wants.  Wallace is just 26 and BB has utmost respect for him.  The money could be the same and we just got 5 years younger with upside.  And, we get a pick a few spots lower back so Wallace is almost free plus you throw in a 2013 first.  IDK, I like it and it's brilliant. We can get another slot receiver or promote Edelman.  We have plenty of targets and only so many balls to go around as it is. Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] If the apats can't come to an agreement with Wes why would another team be able to? And give up a number 2 on top of it? Wes has to face facts, at his age the money these other WR's are getting won't be the for him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Are Welker's Days in NE numbered?": If the apats can't come to an agreement with Wes why would another team be able to? And give up a number 2 on top of it? Wes has to face facts, at his age the money these other WR's are getting won't be the for him.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Some team out there with lots of cap space may be willing pay him. But, the Pats shouldn't.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

More Welker intrigue:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/amendola-could-be-new-englands-new-welker/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Greg Bedard asks, "Should the Pats sign Wes Welker to a 4 year, $40mil. deal, with $22mil. guaranteed"? Hell no. The diminuitive Welker turns 31 in May. This deal may be "fair" to Welker, but the Pats would likely be paying for past performances. 
    http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/03/15/welker_deserves_his_own_big_haul/?page=2

The Pats did the right thing in franchising him. They would be wise to trade him, if they're able to get a fairly good return...such as, at least a high second round draft choice.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]     Greg Bedard asks, "Should the Pats sign Wes Welker to a 4 year, $40mil. deal, with $22mil. guaranteed"? Hell no. The diminuitive Welker turns 31 in May. This deal may be "fair" to Welker, but the Pats would likely be paying for past performances.      The Pats did the right thing in franchising him...and likely would be wise to trade him, if they're able to get a fairly good return.   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I agree with you here Texas. I don't see much sense in signing WW to a long term deal. Wrong side of 30 and takes lots of punishment in our pass heavy offense. It will be a sad day when he is gone but it is what it is.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Where do people come up with thoughts like this?  Is there ANY indication out of the NE camp that there are issues with Welker's contract negotiations other than no news at all?  Seems there are folks who will only be happy if news about the Patriots appear on the hour and not the silence we have to get used to!! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I think this will be his last season as a Pat(I hope its not). It's a business and BB will always do whats right for the team not the player. Giving huge money to a slot receiver is not smart for the team.