Are you ready to Accept WoodHead as Faulk's Replacement?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

Are you ready to Accept WoodHead as Faulk's Replacement?

To be realistic about this,

Faulk isn't getting any younger, and tearin up your knee at his age might not give him the best chance at a 100% comeback. Assuming the Pats don't want to take the chance, or if Faulk does plan on retiring, Are you ready, and happy with his likely replacement?? I remember when Woodhead had his first breakout performance and many of us on here praised him. But obviously many of us also said "There's no replacement for Faulk", "He cant replace him", "Faulk is still the man"...And rightfully so..Faulk has been the man on this team for years, and he is Awesome..But I sense that it may be his and the team's time to move on..It wasn't easy saying goodbye to Troy Brown , and It wont be any easier for us to do the same with Faulk, but personally I am happy with Woodhead's play, and if we are trying to find someone to fill Kev's shoes then I'm happy with who we got.... what about u?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from firstdegreeblackbelt. Show firstdegreeblackbelt's posts

Re: Are you ready to Accept WoodHead as Faulk's Replacement?

In Response to Are you ready to Accept WoodHead as Faulk's Replacement?:
    [QUOTE]To be realistic about this, Faulk isn't getting any younger, and tearin up your knee at his age might not give him the best chance at a 100% comeback. Assuming the Pats don't want to take the chance, or if Faulk does plan on retiring, Are you ready, and happy with his likely replacement?? I remember when Woodhead had his first breakout performance and many of us on here praised him. But obviously many of us also said "There's no replacement for Faulk", "He cant replace him", "Faulk is still the man"...And rightfully so..Faulk has been the man on this team for years, and he is Awesome..But I sense that it may be his and the team's time to move on..It wasn't easy saying goodbye to Troy Brown , and It wont be any easier for us to do the same with Faulk, but personally I am happy with Woodhead's play, and if we are trying to find someone to fill Kev's shoes then I'm happy with who we got.... what about u?
    Posted by ReeGzUSMC[/QUOTE]i would keep him around for i more year, but draft a running back let go of fred taylor and maybe sammy

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Absolutely. Just as we had to be ready to expect Merriweather to attempt to take over for Harrison and Mayo for Bruschi.

Everyone loves Faulk. He's the Troy Brown of running backs for this franchise, but he was leaning towards retirement, and it will be tough for him to come back and show he is as good/can do more things than Woodhead is doing right now.

It's just the way it is.

I am sure he understands the situation and let the chips fall where they may.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Excellent thought provoking post! 

Like the days when Troy Brown was around, I often wondered how we would ever replace such a dynamic player who make such key plays for us game after game - year after year.  Then Wes Welker came along...... 

Last year I started thinking the same thing about Faulk.  Woodhead is clearly the future at that position.  In fact, I would say that he is the present.  That said, I think there is room for Faulk on the roster in 2011.  I doubt Sammy Morris and fred Taylor will be back so why not bring back Faulk for depth and leadership.  BB will probably draft another RB in the later rounds which would give us the same number of RB's on next year's roster as we have this year. 

I think the Pats would welcome him back on a 1 year contract in this type of role.  Question is whether Faulk would want to.  My guess is he would!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Yes, whatever it takes to win.

I would like Faulk back for another year or have him come back in some coaching role because I feel he can teach BJGE and Woody a lot more about the game and about the Patriot Way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Kevin who?  :)

Thanks for everything Kevin.  Dan's the man now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: Are you ready to Accept WoodHead as Faulk's Replacement?:
    [QUOTE]Excellent thought provoking post!  Like the days when Troy Brown was around, I often wondered how we would ever replace such a dynamic player who make such key plays for us game after game - year after year.  Then Wes Welker came along......  Last year I started thinking the same thing about Faulk.  Woodhead is clearly the future at that position.  In fact, I would say that he is the present.  That said, I think there is room for Faulk on the roster in 2011.  I doubt Sammy Morris and fred Taylor will be back so why not bring back Faulk for depth and leadership.  BB will probably draft another RB in the later rounds which would give us the same number of RB's on next year's roster as we have this year.  I think the Pats would welcome him back on a 1 year contract in this type of role.  Question is whether Faulk would want to.  My guess is he would!
    Posted by deluxbury[/QUOTE]

I agree with you except for one point, the PATS should keep Sammy Morris around.  Morris always plays hard and he makes some sensational blocks on special teams.  I love the guy, he so Belichickian iin terms of what he brings to the table as a player, all the unnoticed intangibles.  Keep Sammy around, Fred can go. 

In answer to the OP, yes, I'm ready to have Woodhead replace Faulk but if Kevin wants to compete for a spot I'm good with that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Woodhead has certainly surprised me with his ability to make me forget all about Kevin Faulk. Faulk has been such a clutch guy, for so long, he seems irreplaceable, but it's a young man's game -- particularly at running back -- and knees are always dicey. I can envision a scenario where both Faulk and Woodhead get meaningful touches, should Kevin come back, but if he doesn't, I don't see how you could be disappointed with the transition to Woody.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I think offering Morris a one year deal is a good idea.  That does not include trying to sign a good, veteran RB and drafting one as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

I did the minute he got injured.

And i can't see him coming back next year. BB will have to let him go. With the draft coming up, we can pick up some more great younger and durable utility backs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Am I "ready" to accept it? Heck...Woodhead has already replaced Faulk. Hard to believe as it is, Woodhead has been an upgrade. Hiis presence may lead to Faulk retiring...or being released. 

Are you ready for that?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Let's see what the stats show.

RushingReceiving
    PlayerYrGAttYdsAvgLngTDRecYdsAvgLngTDFUM
    Woodhead1013955285.636T53437911.1501--
    K. Faulk0915623355.4292373018.138T11

Can there be any doubt?  Faulk's replacement has been found.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Woodhead has supplanted Faulk.  Woodhead has been every bit as productive as a healthy Faulk would've been.  There was zero dropoff, which says a lot about Danny. 

I can't see how there is room for both Woodhead and Faulk next year, but if there is a guy BB will stretch to find room for, it would be Faulk, assuming he's healthy.  Faulk can return kicks while Woodhead contributes on ST in kick coverage, so they don't overlap there.  But has any team kept two 3rd down backs on its roster just because both play different roles on ST?  Hard to do.   

I would imagine that next year it will be BJGE, Woodhead, a FA to take some of BJGE's carries, a draft pick, and maybe Morris.  Morris fits in on ST and as a FB, so he could be back.  Fred Taylor should retire and enjoy life, he can't stay healthy.  I can't see Faulk coming back, as much as he is a Patriot for life.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]     Am I "ready" to accept it? Heck...Woodhead has already replaced Faulk. Hard to believe as it is, Woodhead has been an upgrade. Hiis presence may lead to Faulk retiring...or being released.       Are you ready for that?  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I am. Hanging on to vets too long sometimes can hurt a team that is rebuilding. BB has shown he's not afraid to shed the vets.

Faulk has been with the pats a long time and we all appreciate everything he's done, but there is talent out there that can probably come in and fill the gap.

I see him, Morris and Taylor gone next year

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

My only concern is Woody's Pass Blocking...That was one of Faulk's best qualities...He would put Passrushers twice his size on their AS$es...Not saying Danny can't, but for Brady's sake, I hope he can continue to do the things he does, and then some..Its always nice to have a back like him that at ANY minute, can take it in for 6...even from 40 Yds upfield..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Jets fans must be killing themselves over this one.

Thanks, you fat @ss feet lovin' freak!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I love Phat Rex's ultra-intelligent comment up above pretending Joe McKNight is better than Danny Woodhead. lol

Faulk was the best 3rd down back in the NFL for 10 years and NE just acquired the new best 3rd down back in the NFL, simply by the Jets incredible stupidity.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dastardly. Show dastardly's posts

I'd like to see what he's got left in the tank.  If he's about as was pre-injury, I can't see why you'd let him go.  Can you imagine trying to defend an offense with Branch, Welker, Woodhead, Faulk, and the two TEs all on the same play?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]My only concern is Woody's Pass Blocking...That was one of Faulk's best qualities...He would put Passrushers twice his size on their AS$es...Not saying Danny can't, but for Brady's sake, I hope he can continue to do the things he does, and then some..Its always nice to have a back like him that at ANY minute, can take it in for 6...even from 40 Yds upfield..
    Posted by ReeGzUSMC[/QUOTE]

ReeG..... You are spot on about pass blocking. Hope Danny can do as good a job as Kevin did

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I am ready to have Danny replace Faulk, but like others have said, i would also welcome Faulk back for a 1 year deal. I would also sign Morris as his ST play has been outstanding and he provides depth at the position (even though he is frequently hurt). Taylor goes.

My fear is Faulk returns healthy, the Pats release him, and the Jests pick him up. Then what? I don't want to see this happen for many reasons, but most of all is I want him to retire a Patriot where he belongs. In fact, I know many have stated next year they would draft an RB, but I for one would pass next year. We have 2 young RB's in BJGE and Woodhead and both are productive. If we sign Morris and Faulk, that's 4. I know we carry 5 now or did, but I'm not a believer of taking carries from BJGE and Woody. The more those guys carry the ball, the better they are. Imagine a healthy Faulk and Woody out there together?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

[QUOTE]Let's see what the stats show.         Rushing Receiving Player Yr G Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Woodhead 10 13 95 528 5.6 36T 5 34 379 11.1 50 1 -- K. Faulk 09 15 62 335 5.4 29 2 37 301 8.1 38T 1 1 Can there be any doubt?  Faulk's replacement has been found.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]
    wow, this says it all. But, Woodhead will have to show some big clutch play potential in the playoffs, every Pats fan knew Faulk could come in and make that clutch play.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

A word of caution.  When a rookie has a breakout year, sometimes it is in part to rival teams not knowing how to beat him.  Then he has a sophomore slump. 

I think they should keep Faulk. We hear that Taylor has been huge in the locker room the past two years, but if it came down to Faulk vs. Taylor, Faulk is the proven player for the Pats.  Faulk has made some insane plays for the Pats in every season in which he has played.  Until he shows he is old, I think you cannot afford to put him out to pasture. 

Yes, Woody and Faulk play similar roles, and thus duplicate, but maybe the Pats can use that to their advantage.  When Faulk would enter the game on 3rd down, you often thought, "pass play".  Using them both on 1st and 2nd down in addtion to 3rds would make it harder for the opposing D's to read the play, IMO. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali. Show neali's posts

[QUOTE]Can you imagine trying to defend an offense with Branch, Welker, Woodhead, Faulk, and the two TEs all on the same play?
    Posted by dastardly[/QUOTE]

Unless Danny is taking the snap.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I'm not the sentimental type and have already moved on to the Woodhead era.  Faulk is already old and injured to boot.  Can't see using up a valuable roster spot for him.  Like the one "Turf-toe" Taylor is taking up.  He hasn't done anything for the Pat's this year except take up space.  Atleast Sammy Morris contributes on Special Teams.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I loved Kevin but i'm sorry the time has come. It makes no sense to keep both of them. When would we even use Faulk? Woody has clearly passed Kevin in terms of quickness, speed and production. I actaully believe he deserves more touches than he gets. This kid is a dominant player with Pro-Bowl potential. Lock him up long term!!!

PS Thank you Jets!!!