Armond Armstead of the Toronto Argonauts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Armond Armstead of the Toronto Argonauts

So apparently he visited the Patriots, Eagles and Colts last week. Can't imagine he would sign with the Eagles right now because of the fact that they have no head coach. He's supposed to make a decision next week and may visit with other teams.

Adam Schefter likens him to a high draft pick in the NFL draft. He plays DT and I think would fill a need for DT depth.

Hopefully a good showing by the Pats will convince him to come here

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Armond Armstead of the Toronto Argonauts

Here is a link to Schefter's poorly written article

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8840124/armond-armstead-formerly-toronto-argonauts-nfl-teams-radar-sources

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So apparently he visited the Patriots, Eagles and Colts last week. Can't imagine he would sign with the Eagles right now because of the fact that they have no head coach. He's supposed to make a decision next week and may visit with other teams.

Adam Schefter likens him to a high draft pick in the NFL draft. He plays DT and I think would fill a need for DT depth.

Hopefully a good showing by the Pats will convince him to come here

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this! Would be awesome if they can get him! Good size 6'5 300 and is only 22 years old

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

He'll likely go to whomever offers him the most money. Armstead previously had a heart attack...which caused teams to pass on him. The 22 year old DT went to the CFL to prove that he could still play: http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/sports/pro/football&sa=NFL&eid=8840124

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

He is shopping himself around the league and I don't think the Pats will come up with a high enough bid for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here is a link to Schefter's poorly written article

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8840124/armond-armstead-formerly-toronto-argonauts-nfl-teams-radar-sources

[/QUOTE]

Yikes, reading this after reading the post about Jason Taylor is scary.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Cameron Wake was arguably more heralded coming out of the CFL and he signed for 4 years at up to 4.9 million

He had one decent CFL season which was mostly just to show that he is healthy enough to play.

I'd be surprised if he got a contract that much more than what Wake did. 

I'd be surprised if he got a deal much more than a late first/second round pick. If he did, then other top NFL prospects should go to the CFL for a year so that they can choose their own team and avoid that rookie salary cap.

I guess we'll find out next week. Think him coming here would be huge and would completely change the draft strategy

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

with the pats lack of draft picks this year, it was a great idea to bring him in and see what hes got. could be worth signing.. i guess we have to wait and see

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't know much about him other than the highlights they just showed, but why would you pick the Eagles or Colts in the positions they're in (coaching changes, rebuilding, cap issues, etc), over the Pats?

Maybe playing time, I guess, but other than that, it would appear to be a no brainer.

[/QUOTE]

$$$.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well we certainly could use a defensive tackle/lineman that can play. In my opinion that is a weakness on this team and a position they have tried (and failed) to fill over the last two off seasons. Without the aid of multiple first round pickes this year, I could see them making a cash run for a guy like this (fills a posiion of need and it costs no picks). I don't know anything about him, but I do know the pats don't outbid anyone - so if it's the money this guy wants...I think he will be playing elsewhere next season. If the guy looks at it more like an oppurtunity to learn, stay on a roster, improve and win...then he comes here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This is very intriguing, a player of his size/position would be worth a high bid if BB likes his measurables and skill set.  He has some Seymour-like traits and would allow us to play more 3 man fronts.  Dont think they'll open the bank though...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Pats other starting DT is Love/Deaderick.

So there is definitely playing time to be had. He'll also get more national exposure playing with the Patriots.

Again, as I said earlier, Wake was a bigger name coming out of the CFL and he got 4 years at 4.9 million. This is certainly a risk worth taking. It's like missing out on a draft pick, except you don't actually lose a draft pick.

Don't know if he's making more visits so it's hard to see what teams are in. I'll include all the West Coast teams just because he's a west coast guy.

But between Indy and NE, I think the Pats have a decent shot of getting him. What Indy has going for them is that they arguably need him more at DT and they also have Luck who should have them contending for the next 10+ seasons. Another thing they have going for them is that theyre out of the playoffs and Coach Pagano can be part of the recruiting process. 

Regardless, if he comes here and performs, that is extremely huge. In my eyes, biggest needs in the draft are DT, DE. and safety. If you get him, you can spend that saved pick on an outside WR or nickel cb.

If he busts, then you lose what? 4 million dollars? They wasted 10 guaranteed on Leigh Bodden and they pretty much wasted the pick on Ras I Dowling. Pats have survived those and I see no reason why they would see Armond as a huge financial risk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Brandon Browner also got 3 years at 1.29 million

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Looking at his history, questions can be raised about whether he is a self-centered person not so big on team concept or loyalty. The Argonauts took a gamble and took him after he went undrafted because of the history of heart attack that led to him not medically cleared to play for a year. He left after one year there.

He is looking for $$ and if he performed better than his first NFL contract, I would not be surprised that he can beome unhappy and difficult, wants to renegotiate his contract , holds out by not reporting, and jumps to another team that gives him a sweeter deal if he could.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Deaderick a lot and he's elevated his play in last 6 weeks. Bet he has a big day today.

[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with Deaderick, I like him a lot too. You can upgrade over that position too. Also, If VW ever got hurt, then we'd be extremely thin at DT. Depth can never hurt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Looking at his history, questions can be raised about whether he is a self-centered person not so big on team concept or loyalty. The Argonauts took a gamble and took him after he went undrafted because of the history of heart attack that led to him not medically cleared to play for a year. He left after one year there.

He is loooking for $$ and if he performed better than his first NFL contract, I would not be surprised that he can beome unhappy and difficult, wants to renegotiate his contract , holds out by not reporting, and jumps to another team that gives him a sweeter deal if he could.

[/QUOTE]

Well, I wouldn't look to into the Argonauts thing. Most players don't view the CFL as the end game. It's pretty much become the unofficial developmental league for the NFL. I think everyone knew that the only reason why he went to the CFL was to prove he was healthy enough to play in the NFL.

"Armstead’s Friday release wasn’t a total shock. It was believed there was a mutual agreement that he would be granted a release if an NFL opportunity arose."

I also know there was a lawsuit involved with USC. Don't know much about it. Know it had to do with him believing they caused his heart attack. Don't know who was in the wrong, but when it comes to life threatening cases, I have little issue with him filing a lawsuit if in fact USC played a part in it.

Don't really know about any other off character issues. Pats have not been shy when it comes to taking risks on character issues, so I don't think his would be an issue. Even if he bolts afer his first contract, he could still potentially help the team for the 3-4 years he does sign for