Arrington, ouch!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Arrington, ouch!

Field Yates

Beyond the Big 3: Kyle Arrington

"Projection: Not re-signed; lands a three-year deal elsewhere worth up to $15 million. Ultimately, look for another team to give Arrington an offer too good to refuse. Cornerback Aaron Ross earned a three-year contract for up to $15.3 million last offseason from the Jaguars, and that seems like a reasonable barometer for Arrington this offseason. If a team believes it is getting the 2011 version of Arrington, it will consider this a good deal for a starting-level corner."

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Arrington, ouch!

In response to rkarp's comment:

Field Yates

"Projection: Not re-signed; lands a three-year deal elsewhere worth up to $15 million. Ultimately, look for another team to give Arrington an offer too good to refuse. Cornerback Aaron Ross earned a three-year contract for up to $15.3 million last offseason from the Jaguars, and that seems like a reasonable barometer for Arrington this offseason. If a team believes it is getting the 2011 version of Arrington, it will consider this a good deal for a starting-level corner."

so if pats dont pay up your suspect pass D gets even weaker

I am just gaining perspective so when the defense blows it for u guys again in a big spot next year rusty can blame it on Tom Brady

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Let him go..........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

if speculation is Arrington is 3/$15, what does Talib get?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Field Yates

so if pats dont pay up your suspect pass D gets even weaker

I am just gaining perspective so when the defense blows it for u guys again in a big spot next year rusty can blame it on Tom Brady

arrington is a fine nickel corner, he cant cover on the outside. it is possible to find a similar style corner that can produce the same, if not better, for around the same price or less.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pats have been very uneven in the defensive back field the past few years. I have been of the thought the best option is to bring Talib, Dennerd and Arrington back and let them grow together. Maybe RasI gets healthy. Keep Mcourt at S, draft a S, and hope Wilson grows into a player

Potentially losing Arrington and Talib feels like taking a step back

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

First of all, that's horrendous analysis. Jax is a crappy team with cap space.  If Arrington wants that for his career after coming here, being given a chance, helping the team in the slot in particular, etc, then go get the money and be on a losing team.

It's that simple.

Aaron Ross got his ring and went to the highest bidder.

If I am someone like Arrington, I look for a 2 year deal, give it 2 more years at around 2.5 per year, take on the nickel assignment and go try for a ring.  It's not like he's over 30 years old here.

I agree.  It's not like I would miss him if he left,  but I would like to see him stay and see if he can improve with the Pats.  I think he has something he can build on here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I have mixed feelings about a possible Arrington departure.  On the one hand he has oft-discussed deficiencies; on the other he can contribute as a slot corner.  Have to wait and see I guess.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

losing arrington is not a step back , its a step in the right direction. Why else do you think the author wrote "if teams think they are getting the 2011 version"  Because he only had a few good games last year and Rusty said he is excellent in the slot....lol

People got excited about his 7 INTs but forget they all came in zone defense with the play in front of him off tipped balls. He didnt make one play one on one on the outside and struggled most of last year playing the slot until he started to improve late in the year. This is fact.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

once Talib was in shape and Mcourt was at S and Dennerd was starting, this defensive backfield looked the best it has in over 3 years. Arrington was a big part of that. Arringtom has been in the system for 3-4 years now, and I would like to see the latter half of last season built upon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

First of all, that's horrendous analysis. Jax is a crappy team with cap space.  If Arrington wants that for his career after coming here, being given a chance, helping the team in the slot in particular, etc, then go get the money and be on a losing team.

It's that simple.

If I am someone like Arrington, I look for a 2 year deal, give it 2 more years at around 2.5 per year, take on the nickel assignment and go try for a ring.  It's not like he's over 30 years old here.

I agree.  It's not like I would miss him if he left,  but I would like to see him stay and see if he can improve with the Pats.  I think he has something he can build on here.

of course u agree

anyway my point is only that ur pass D is suspect and without Talib locked up it's worse (see afccg) and all that supposed cap space...why exactly let him walk? if demand is outrageous ok but if it's reasonable and he walks...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

losing arrington is not a step back , its a step in the right direction. Why else do you think the author wrote "if teams think they are getting the 2011 version"  Because he only had a few good games last year and Rusty said he is excellent in the slot....lol

People got excited about his 7 INTs but forget they all came in zone defense with the play in front of him off tipped balls. He didnt make one play one on one on the outside and struggled most of last year playing the slot until he started to improve late in the year. This is fact.

He is excellent in the slot. Great lateral movement, good tackler, had an outstanding SB and looks very comfortable in that role. He lacks range which exposes him on deeper routes on the perimeter.

When he was pushed into the nickel again once Talib got here and Dennard started on the right, he looked very good in that role again.   So, you're wrong as usual. LOL

You're analysis on football is atrocious.

i heard he is better than revis

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

once Talib was in shape and Mcourt was at S and Dennerd was starting, this defensive backfield looked the best it has in over 3 years. Arrington was a big part of that. Arringtom has been in the system for 3-4 years now, and I would like to see the latter half of last season built upon.

Arrington graded out as one of the worst CB's in the game last year (completion % wise). Now in a limited nickel role is where he's best used and where he tends to shine but get him outside 1v1 and QBs had a field day throwing to his side.

Yates is completely ignoring a couple of things in his analysis:

• Last year Jax needed to spend to get to the cap floor
    • The cap wasn't a flat cap like it is this year
    • The CB market was relatively weak
    • The CB market this year is flooded
    • A large number of teams don't have a lot of cap space this year

I don't see Arrington getting anywhere even close to 5mil per year average. I can see 2-3mil average but no where close to 5mil. Trying to speculate based on last years prices is like the city of Boston basing it's snow budget on last years snow fall (which they do and it's why 1 big storm wiped out the entire budget). You shouldn't do it because this year is different then last year in many aspects.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

but there is always a ream like the Jags or Raiders that takes logic and throws it out the window.

My point is, outside of Revis, if the Pats are signing 2 CB's from Free Agency, my 2 choices are Talib and Arrington assuming costs are not prohibitive. Even if Yates is 50% off target, I dont see the Pats paying Arrington $7-$8....do you?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

but there is always a ream like the Jags or Raiders that takes logic and throws it out the window.

My point is, outside of Revis, if the Pats are signing 2 CB's from Free Agency, my 2 choices are Talib and Arrington assuming costs are not prohibitive. Even if Yates is 50% off target, I dont see the Pats paying Arrington $7-$8....do you?

No. Arrington is not worth 4 million per as a nickel because he's really a nickel in the market and the market is overloaded with CBs.

It's a bad time for Arrington, actually, NE knows it and I think he'll be back. If not, they can still find a nickel in the market for the 2.5 price.

That's why I said it's up to Arrington. It's up to Welker. It's up to Talib.  One or two teams being desperate and dumb going 5-11 overpaying you is why they go 5-11 every year.

But, it's not the market. It takes more than just 1 or 2 entities out of a 32 team league for it to be a market, IMO.

keep squeezing kraft! this jints fan loves it!  : )

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

First of all, that's horrendous analysis by Yates. Jax is a crappy team with cap space.  If Arrington wants that for his career after coming here, being given a chance, helping the team in the slot in particular, etc, then go get the money and be on a losing team.

It's that simple.

Aaron Ross got his ring and went to the highest bidder.  That doesn't mean Ross is the market.  That means Jax was desperate and wildly overpaid.

You and Yates don't get it. This market is FLOODED with CBs and the cap does not go up until 2015.

This is not a hard concept here for adults, or at least it shouldn't be.

You act like it is a horrible thing when players go after the money. If he does get money like Ross and the Pats only want to go 2 years at half the annual rate, why should or would he stay? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

It's that simple.

of course u agree

anyway my point is only that ur pass D is suspect and without Talib locked up it's worse (see afccg) and all that supposed cap space...why exactly let him walk? if demand is outrageous ok but if it's reasonable and he walks...

Said the guy who's team wont even make the playoffs next year.   How's that bed of laurels you are resting on there?  Good?  

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

you seem to be saying some one elses trash is another ones treasure...I am not 100% convinced that Arrington in a slot position is not the best option for the Pats that will be available...it seems I have a higher opinion of Arrington as a slot CB than most on the board