Article on Maroney

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Article on Maroney

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/393600-maroney-lucky-to-still-be-a-patriot

Writer claims that Maroney has been disappointing and Pats should look into grabbing Ronnie Brown or Brian Westbrook to replace him. What do you guys think of those two options ? Too old ? Better/worse than Maroney?

Maroney recently responded to various comments from media about his disappointing performance with "I have learnt a lot from Fred last season. The way he was decisive and attacked the hole. I have learnt a lot over my past seasons and am ready to do some hard downhill running and prove my worth to the Pats fan".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Re: Article on Maroney

Maroney says he has learned from Taylor, how to run downhill , hit the hole decisively. Surely the coaches have been telling him to run hard and hit the hole. Time after time he starts the dance, when the hole looks small . He's a dancer , got more moves than Fred Astaire.  Once a dancer always a dancer.Barry Sanders and Gayle Sayers were dancers, course they didn't dance until they got into the opponents secondary , Maroney dances at the line of scrimmage. . Oh that's right they very seldom fumbled the football. Maroney has all the tools, but ..... He has made some very costly fumbles and he has not lived up to his potential , that won't change. He seems to be a nice guy , keeps his nose clean. Talks the talk . This will be his last year with the Pats. If he isn't traded in the preseason.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Laura, again.......?
    In his defense, he wasn't a huge fumbler until last year. Then, for some reason, he fumbled around the end-zone several times over a 3-4 game span - not good; especially since it left pt. off the scoreboard.

Not a big fan of Laura. We need a bigger back who can reliably help the Pats gain 100+ yards/game; especially around the goal line or short yardage situations.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

In Response to Re: Article on Maroney:
    If NE can somehow draft Mark Ingram with Oakland's 1st rd pick next year, I think this answers the Maroney issue.
    Posted by russgriswold

It's not just a Maroney issue. Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, Chris Taylor, BenJarvus Green-Ellis AND Laurence Maroney are all free agents after this season. Faulk and Taylor are both likely to retire and Morris could also decide to call it quits. Maroney isn't someone the Pats will give a generous offer to I don't think, and BenJarvus and Chris Taylor are the definition of average.

I think DeAngelo Williams gets traded for with a second round pick and maybe something else. Carolina wants to transition to a Jonathan Stewart-based running game. Tyrell Sutton is capable enough to back him up. Can't forget, DeAngelo is also entering a contract season and I think he ends up getting the tag and trade treatment since the Panthers will be able to get more than a 3rd round pick, in a trade, as compensation.

Another option for the Pats is to go after Ronnie Brown and Joseph Addai. Brown offers versatility and experience at the runningback position while Addai is one of the most efficient blocker-pass catcher-runner combo backs in the NFL and his level of experience, (especially in the redzone), is tremendous.

Runningbacks aside, Kraft and company need to focus on other free agents; Randy Moss, Tom Brady, Torry Holt, Alge Crumpler, Matt Light, Logan Mankins, Stephen Gostkowski, Gary Guyton, and Brandon McGowan. 

To simplify those priorities hypothetically, Vollmer could take over for Light, Rob Gronkowski takes over for Crumpler, Brandon Tate takes over for Torry Holt, and Pat Chung in for Brandon McGowan. That would leave Guyton, Brady, Moss, Gostkowski, and Mankins to be re-signed and maybe some other players contracts get restructured too. Going after free agents or a player like DeAngelo Williams in a trade could be too much cap wise assuming there is a cap again next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Maroney's ok when he's healthy but he runs too upright, so he gets hurt way too fast.  Then he's not ok and he doesn't want to get hit on his bad shoulder or something.  So then he dances.

All of the RBs are injury-prone.  That's why the RB position isn't deep.  I wouldn't be surprised to see BB grab another free agent, as the so-so vets get ever cheaper in this uncapped year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I think Maroney's problem is that he tries to be elusive and he's not that kind of runner. He has the elusiveness of a freight train. He is a powerful runner when he gets to the 2nd level of tacklers (linebackers and DB's). But too many times he gets caught in the backfield trying to be Barry Sanders. He doesn't have a great deal of initial quickness. He has good speed when he gets to the open field, but he seldom seems to get to the open field. Benjarvis Green-Ellis is a good example of a back that understands his limitations. He is about the same size as Maroney, and not as fast, but he understands he is not an elusive runner and he makes his own hole when none is there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

In Response to Re: Article on Maroney : Maroney was the 21st pick in the draft, Addai was the 30th pick. The Pats took Maroney first and then Indy settled with their Plan B and took Addai.
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea

I use to think that! But I read on another forum that Addai was drafted before Maroney and so I just assumed that was true without double checking. Surprised Well, you get the point, I'm pretty sure they like Addai because he can do a little bit of everything.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I agree the RB position is likely fixed next year with an early maybe very early selection with a guy like Ingram. Maroney/Taylor/Morris will provide solid yards this year with the better blocking they will get. Also I don't expect they will see another year of injuries to the RB corps like 2009 brought them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

I agree the RB position is likely fixed next year with an early maybe very early selection with a guy like Ingram. Maroney/Taylor/Morris will provide solid yards this year with the better blocking they will get. Also I don't expect they will see another year of injuries to the RB corps like 2009 brought them.
    Posted by DaBlade

Agreed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Is your point that the Pats liked Addai more than Maroney? That's wrong, because they selected Maroney at 21 and not Addai. Do you have a point? There are probably a bunch of players they liked in that draft class. 

In Response to Re: Article on Maroney : I use to think that! But I read on another forum that Addai was drafted before Maroney and so I just assumed that was true without double checking.   Well, you get the point, I'm pretty sure they like Addai because he can do a little bit of everything.
    Posted by Brendon-Patrick

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryBallz. Show HarryBallz's posts

One thing I want to say in Maroney's defense, when your lightweight candy bottomed center or replacement RG are constantly getting stood up and knocked backwards it reduces your chances of having an effective carry.  

The fumbles though......  &^$%&&^$@#

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Maroney has all the physical tools but he has never brought it all together.  He'd make a great backup, but there's nobody to put in front of him.  Maybe if Taylor and Morris can stay healthy we can see a good speed/power duo.  But I don't have much faith.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TonyCate. Show TonyCate's posts

Snip: Maroney does not dance because of injury, he dances because there is no hole. I agree, I think Maroney and the Pats agree, that Maroney has to stop dancing and hit the line even if the hole is not there, and get what he can. (One-If-By-Sea)

True, but he was more decisive last year. 

At the beginning of '09 Maroney appeared to be in the dog-house. But, starting around game 6 , he started getting the bulk of the carries. Taylor and Morris were both injured and Bill didn't have much choice. Maroney stepped up and over 9 games looked pretty good: 9 TD and 636 yards (71/game). Considering the Pats' overall lack of commitment to the running game, and the OL's miserable blocking, those are decent numbers. He seemed decisive, was breaking tackles, and moving piles. (Source: http://www.patspulpit.com/2010/5/4/1455997/what-will-laurence-maroneys-role). Unfortunately, he also dropped the ball 4 times; the two goal-line drops doing him in.

I suspect Bill is looking at the big picture, and all things considered, feels Maroney was productive. Where the RB could be in trouble, is if he continues to drop the ball. Prediction: if Maroney solves the dropsies in pre-season, he's the starter. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I agree. Maroney isn't great, but the line really doesn't block to his style well either. That being said, there is a reason Belichick started him for the playoff game last year. BB think Maroney is the Pats best option, and I think it's clear why. He's bigger, faster, and stronger than any other back on the pats roster. I would say that if he had good vision he would be a top 10 back, but he hasn't developed in that regard yet. I'm glad they are sticking with the current crop of rb's because I really don't think it was a great need. 

In Response to Re: Article on Maroney : Addai is not that good - why did the Colts draft Donald Brown in the first round if Addai is so great. We do not want Addai. You have to compare OLs if you want to compare RBs. The Colts have a great OL, so does (or did have) the Jets. Maroney does not dance because of injury, he dances because there is no hole. I agree, I think Maroney and the Pats agree, that Maroney has to stop dancing and hit the line even if the hole is not there, and get what he can. But don't give the OL a "pass". Watch BJGE run, there is no hole. Faulk sees a few holes because his pass blocking and hands create a real "play action" concern. With Maroney it is predictable: 1. More than likely we are running 2. The opposing team loads the box 3. The Pats OL gets stood up and there is no hole to run through Watch the games - Maroney runs through some small holes - more times than not there is no hole for him.
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

After 4 years, I have no faith in the guy. The team did next to nada in adressing the position, however. Therefore, the team might as well let him play out the final year of his contract. Sigh.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

This isn't baseball. You can't have pro bowlers at every position.

Joseph Addai, Ronnie Brown and Brian Westbrook are coming off injuries. We are no better off with any of them.

Unless a proven veteran RB is dumped by another team, and he can be had on the cheap, we are stuck with who we've got.

All the RB contracts end after this year so there will be a complete turnover next year like there was with the TE position this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

stats wise, Maroney is better than Addai

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Maroney is still servicable.  A disappointment?  I don't see how anybody can say he is not. 

If you happen to take a look at the future RB situation it isn't good.  Maroney doesn't have a lot of bargining chips so a very cap friendly offer will be made.  If he doesn't take it he's gone and the Pats are building from scratch.  I can't help but think two RBs are in order for the draft next year even if Maroney is still here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Im seriously tired of rooting for this guy because the past 4 years that I have he has burned me. Its been my first 4 years of high school watching this guy and I have watched him grow he has just lost his home running ability.

Bill for some reason has hopes for him and I guess thats because hes a young back who entered this league at the age of 21 and backs usually hit their prime at 25-29. All we can do is hope that 2006 class is salvaged by Maroney tearing it up and going off for 1100 yards and 5 TDs which with the carries hes given he can easily do. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Addai isn't great per say, he just does a lot of things well and a lot of things that the Patriots runningbacks must do to get significant time on the field.

He is a superior blocker, pass catcher, and maybe just a bit more effective in the redzone than Maroney is. As a plus, he doesn't fumble at critical moments, rather he shines. In fact, many times he has been the one to score the points against the Patriots at crucial points in our head-to-head matchups. As Belichick has proven, if there are players that consistently perform very well against his defense, he'll target them as a free agent.

My point is that Joseph Addai is set to be a free agent, and although I don't think he'll actually be picked up by the Pats, I think he's someone they like a lot and certainly someone they view more highly at this point than our boy LoMo.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Ronnie Brown's name has been floated around, specifically by me, as a potential addition to the team because he will be a free agent after this season. Unless his contract runs out at another time?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

And let me clear this up too so that I don't get any more sobbing, I'm not suggesting we target a "replacement" for Maroney with Addai, Brown, or DeAngelo Williams. In my FIRST post in this thread, I was speaking to the offseason when literally all of our backs will be without a contract. Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris, Laurence Maroney, Chris Taylor, BenJarvus Green-Ellis.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Maroney has all the physical tools but he has never brought it all together.  He'd make a great backup, but there's nobody to put in front of him.  Maybe if Taylor and Morris can stay healthy we can see a good speed/power duo.  But I don't have much faith.
    Posted by shenanigan

I'm thinking for a majority of the season, Fred Taylor is the feature back who is basically the drive starter while Laurence Maroney is the slashing backup who acts more as a change-of-pace guy. I think it could actually be a great combination for this season. Both are great but neither can do it alone for the entire NFL season. LoMo is like a great compliment back, Faulk the third down/o' reliable, Sammy Morris a do-it-all everything guy who can play in any role with the Pats, and of course the hall of fame veteran in Fred Taylor to carry the load for much of the drive. Sounds like a sturdy group to me!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

I think Maroney's problem is that he tries to be elusive and he's not that kind of runner. He has the elusiveness of a freight train. He is a powerful runner when he gets to the 2nd level of tacklers (linebackers and DB's).
    Posted by dfitzp

Nailed it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

though he hasn't lived up to his potential, he still the best we got.