Asante Samuel Applauds Adalius Thomas, Criticized Belichick/Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Asante Samuel Applauds Adalius Thomas, Criticized Belichick/Patriots

In Response to Re: Asante Samuel Applauds Adalius Thomas, Criticized Belichick/Patriots:
    [QUOTE]Y'all crazy...It's not your money that he wanted, he wanted what he earned.  He was and still is one of the top CB's in the NFL.  He wanted market value just like VW wants market value.  We are all complaining about the defense.  We would like to have a playmaker on defense.  Guess what he is a playmaker and playmakers want money. Believe me, if Moss was that young with the Pats he would want to get paid too.  Lets see what happens when Welker wants to get paid.  Because you better believe he isnt taking those hits for nothing. Bottom line, Pats dont pay anyone thats why they are lacking on defense.  Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt, but you cant be mad at the guy for wanting to feel like this organization valued him.  Just a couple of weeks ago he almost had a bad neck injury.  Im sure if anything ever happened to him he would want his family to be taken care of as if he was still here.      
    Posted by patsfaninsatx[/QUOTE]

In some ways, i agree with you. He had a rough first 2 seasons, but the final 2 seasons he bacame a very good player. He did earn the big payday...the Patriots were just trying to manage their moolah. Each did what they thought was right....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Asante Samuel Applauds Adalius Thomas, Criticized Belichick/Patriots:
    [QUOTE]I believe Asante has a tatto on his arm that says "Get Paid"  Not surprised he reacted the way he did.  Birds of the feather and all that..... I'm not saying players shouldn't try to get the most for their services but Asante got what was important to him.  The big payday.  Winning a championship is a distant second in Asante's primary goal of getting paid.    How do I know?  He went to the money...  
    Posted by vapatfan1[/QUOTE]

You believe incorrectly, but it isn't your fault. It was reported as saying "Get Paid" and that has been repeated zillions of times. 

The tattoo reads "Get Rich To This" and is a Goodie Mob song he liked in college.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

We all know who the Daddy of disrespected is and it was never about money with him either.  Wink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[QUOTE]We all know who the Daddy of disrespected is and it was never about money with him either. 
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

He was a great pitcher in his prime, but his ego got in the way of reality. At least he raped the Mets instead of the Sox resigning him. Athletes make an obscene amount of money & should be paid according to current performance, not on past history.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]Asante got a 56 million dollar contract, that's Tom brady, Randy Moss money.  Except when you look at Brady Moss and Samuel there is one difference.  2 out of 3 of them are going to the hall of fame.  I liked Asante but the Pats couldn't afford to keep him, he wanted to get rich.  Sorry if he thought he was the best player of the team, he wasn't top 10 probably. He'll get experienced in playoff losses in Philadelphia.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

+1

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwsf4ever. Show wwsf4ever's posts

In Response to Asante Samuel Applauds Adalius Thomas, Criticized Belichick/Patriots:
    [QUOTE]Samuel said: "I think it's good he [Thomas] spoke up. More up there should. It certainly got to be a place where I didn't want to be. I am happy to be gone. I am happy here. They know how to make you feel wanted and appreciated here, but it's not the way I found it over there.'' http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/12/14/eagles-samuel-has-heart-in-philly-one-eye-on-former-team/ When it rains, it pours.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]
    Go figure a CLOWN who was made to look like a god and gets a huge payday because of it... wants to be treated with kit gloves.

IF these A-holes were treated like most regular people half of them would be in the looney bin.  Asante is such a whining Civillian Under Naval Training.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]What ever anyone is saying, I still think we lost big time by not signing Samuel to an extension and the way it is going, history would repeat itself with Wilfork. BB cannot expect the likes of BRace/Pryor to replace VW, just as Ellis Hobbs couldn't replace Asante. who would keep us happy for years. Like some one said earlier, Welker is playing for peanuts (5yr-18mil) and am sure he wants a huge payday soon as he is probably the best slot for a long time now. Asante can say whatever he wants, but I do feel that we lost one of the best corners!We pats fan can say whatever we want, but it would be nice to break the bank once in a while for a stud
    Posted by bmadmax82[/QUOTE]
     Didn't the Pats "break the bank" for AT?  Look where that got them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeseman. Show cheeseman's posts

his assh*le DROPS THE SUPER BOWL WINNING INTERCEPTION AND BLOWS HIS COVERAGE ASSIGNMENT ON DAVID TYREE AND HE F*CK*NG WONDERS WHY THE TEAM DIDN'T APPRECIATE HIM?!?!??!??!

Thank you for this. He catches that, we win. F$%& him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Asante Samuel Applauds Adalius Thomas, Criticized Belichick/Patriots :  Didn't the Pats "break the bank" for AT?  Look where that got them.
    Posted by Salcon[/QUOTE]

Well, AT was not tested in BB's system, where as Samuel was tested and proven. SO it would have been easier to 'break the bank'! I am not saying bring in Julius Peppers for 17 mil/yr, but give a proven veteran like VW a good contract he deserves. Hence 'breaking the bank'!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Asante Samuel Applauds Adalius Thomas, Criticized Belichick/Patriots : Well, AT was not tested in BB's system, where as Samuel was tested and proven. SO it would have been easier to 'break the bank'! I am not saying bring in Julius Peppers for 17 mil/yr, but give a proven veteran like VW a good contract he deserves. Hence 'breaking the bank'!!
    Posted by bmadmax82[/QUOTE]

I was just about to say that.

Why not pay a guy that has already proven he can play in this system vs. paying a guy that may not be used the way he was in a previous system(A.thomas) then call him a bust.

Too many of you guys act like he wanted your money.   He works for a billionaire.  He produced.  He should have gotten paid.  

This will be the same reason NE will lose Wilfork.  BB was already planning on replacing him by drafting both Brace and Pryor.  As you can see its not that easy.  

Finding a good CB and NT is rare in the NFL and NE has had both.  Lost one and will lose another.  This time they may not be so lucky by having that player go to another Conference.  VW might end up in the hands of a division rival (Miami)

BB is a great GM and HC, but he does make mistakes.

As far as Asante blowing the SB....check the tapes.  I think the Offensive line played a bigger part than anyone on that.  Also, if you want to blame someone else you might as well blame Rodney for not stripping the ball from Tyree.

Bottom line is that the Giants destiny was NE's fate.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

ASSante Samuel's claim to fame: dropping 19-0 and fleeing to Philly the night before the FA period.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

WOW! Tell us how you really feel, Dont candy coat it!  I agree with everything you said but Wilhite? I dont see him as an answer even in 5 years

[QUOTE]This assh*le DROPS THE SUPER BOWL WINNING INTERCEPTION AND BLOWS HIS COVERAGE ASSIGNMENT ON DAVID TYREE AND HE F*CK*NG WONDERS WHY THE TEAM DIDN'T APPRECIATE HIM?!?!??!??! Grrrrarrrghhhhhh!!!!  G*F*Y, Asante.  I hope you enjoyed collecting your game check after getting owned by Vincent Jackson a couple weeks ago.  You did a heck of a job on Steve Smith against the Giants, too. You weren't worth the money - Ty Law makes that catch and stays with Tyree, which is why the Pats made him the richest corner in the league at the time.  I can name 5 corners who are head and shoulders above you: -Nmandi Asomugha -Darelle Revis -Champ Bailey -Antoine Winfield -Nate Clements -Antonio Cromartie -Rashean Mathis Samuels s*cks and I won't miss him once Butler and/or Wilhite learns the ropes.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

For myself the point is completely different then what the thread seems to be about.

I have no issue with Asante as a performer on the field either when he was here with the Pats or now in Philly. He's a very good CB. I also have no problem with trying to get the most you can when you perform well and your contract is up. That's normal.

My problem, BIG problem with him, Seymour, Ty Law, AT(who's already doing it while he's still here)etc, etc. is the following;

Any Ex Patriot that leaves here and opens their weak cry baby mouth to complain about BB or the Patriots organization has absolutely NO class. They are all so INSECURE its unbelievable to ME.

Can anyone tell me how many Ex players either BB or The Patriots as an organization or individually(Robert Kraft etc) have ever bad mouthed publicy after that player has left? I can't think of a one but i might be mistaken.

All I can recall is things like he was a good player for us, we're grateful for the effort and time he spent with the organization, we are just trying to do what we think is in the best interest for the organization at this time and with future thoughts in mind, we wish him all the best going forward, etc etc. Professional, classy, etc.

I am so sick and tired of these kinds of guys crying about respect, and I'm a man, etc, blah blah blah BUT never acting respectful or like men. They all sound like a bunch of insecure whiny little babies.

How about a lil class and grace from you whiny complaining EX Pats. Maybe something like I have no problem with the Pats. They drafted me.(If that was the case) ...or they gave me my start, or I received alot of good coaching there or I was a part of some great winning seasons or I was able to win a superbowl there or any other tactful professional response.

How about simply saying unfortunately in the end things just didn't come together for us to be able to continue my playing time there or anythig like that.

I loved these guys as Patriots but when you take cheap shots after you leave it is just SO WEAK I have absolutely NO respect for them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

What would you expect him to say, "the Eagles suuck, I wish I was still with the Pats."  Do you like your boss, does everybody like him?  Anybody who's ever been in charge of people knows that some people just won't like you because your the boss and there's nothing you can do about it. 

He played well he earned a big contract and he got paid, the Pats just couldn't pay him.

If they spend 60 million dollars on 10 guys(which they did) still have to pay 43 other people out of the remaining 56 million.  They couldn't afford to give out another 9 or 10 million dollar contract or they would have to fill thier roster with league minimum guys.  You just can't fill your team with veteran pro bowlers, they have to develop new ones.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

We can all hypothesize about the possibilities of what might have been if the Pats re-signed Asante, or we can debate whether he would have been worth the money vs. his actual talent.  I, for one, don't care what Asante says, thinks or does from the moment he left the Patriots.  He is a Philadelphia Eagle and cannot possibly benefit the Patriots in any shape, form or manner.  And after this season, I will gladly say the same about Adalius Thomas.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Not every player is going to like BB's management style.  Fans tend to take this all too personally. The reality is that different people have different needs and preferences.  This doesn't mean that players who don't like BB's style are bad people or that BB's style is bad, it just means that BB and some players won't be good matches for each other. I think the challenge for a football coach is that he needs to make so many tough decisions, many of which are difficult on players (trading Seymour at the beginning of the season with no forewarning, for instance, was a pretty brutal move--a good one--but still very tough on the player) and still try to keep morale up. A good coach has a pretty difficult job--balancing tough decisions with making players feel positive about the organization and also trying to manage so many different personalities some of whom respond to different (and maybe incompatible) motivational techniques. Overall, BB does a very good job of this, but not everything is going to work out. As the team starts to struggle, the balancing act is going to get more difficult for BB.  Winning has a way of keeping everyone happy. As the team struggles and rebuilds, BB is going to be challenged and we'll have to see how well he manages the new situation.  There's a danger he'll lose the team, but hopefully he only loses a few players and is able to keep the majority of his workers engaged and ready to play.

On Asante--I wish something would have worked out because Asante is a very good if not elite CB--but he and BB had different opinions about his value.  Of course, Asante is going to be upset about that. Thomas may be pissed off because he doesn't feel like BB utilizes him correctly.  These things will happen. I can't get upset at the player--they have legitimate gripes maybe--but the coach has to do what he feels is right for the team and sometimes that's going to be something that's not best for a particular player. Bad feelings are bound to result, but as BB likes to say: it is what it is.  Managing a team is too difficult to keep everyone happy all the time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Asante Samuel Applauds Adalius Thomas, Criticized Belichick/Patriots:
    [QUOTE]Samuel said: "I think it's good he [Thomas] spoke up. More up there should. It certainly got to be a place where I didn't want to be. I am happy to be gone. I am happy here. They know how to make you feel wanted and appreciated here, but it's not the way I found it over there.'' http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/12/14/eagles-samuel-has-heart-in-philly-one-eye-on-former-team/ When it rains, it pours.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

Poor Baby....whaaaaa!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Asante Samuel Applauds Adalius Thomas, Criticized Belichick/Patriots : I was just about to say that. Why not pay a guy that has already proven he can play in this system vs. paying a guy that may not be used the way he was in a previous system(A.thomas) then call him a bust. Too many of you guys act like he wanted your money.   He works for a billionaire.  He produced.  He should have gotten paid.   This will be the same reason NE will lose Wilfork.  BB was already planning on replacing him by drafting both Brace and Pryor.  As you can see its not that easy.   Finding a good CB and NT is rare in the NFL and NE has had both.  Lost one and will lose another.  This time they may not be so lucky by having that player go to another Conference.  VW might end up in the hands of a division rival (Miami) BB is a great GM and HC, but he does make mistakes. As far as Asante blowing the SB....check the tapes.  I think the Offensive line played a bigger part than anyone on that.  Also, if you want to blame someone else you might as well blame Rodney for not stripping the ball from Tyree. Bottom line is that the Giants destiny was NE's fate.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx[/QUOTE]

You and others keep saying it's not the fans money, the billionaire should open the wallet - can't any of you folks see that it is not as simple as that - have you heard of the salary cap?

You simply can't lavish every player with top of market contracts - what you end up with is 5-8 great players and 40-50 practice squad players......no one wins that way -  has any of you paid attention to what goes with the Redskins?

The whole system is designed so that no team can stay good indefinitely - ala the 49ers of the 80's and the Cowboys of the early 90's before the cap era.

The Patriots sustained level of excellence in this enviroment makes them the best franchise in the history of the sport in my opinion

Bill makes tough choices - and he's been right almost 100 % of the time with the players he let walk ( ironically Asante has performed the best of any of them)

I am as frustrated as anyone with the Patriots this year - in the off season they need to get back to having enough competent receivers so that Brady can throw it confidently to anyone of the field ( I am not jumping on the let's blame Moss bandwagon but the Patriots have become less consistent and much more predictable this year because everyone doubles, triples Moss and says you won't beat us with just Welker) and they need to focus on pressuring the QB - I don't think the Pats secondary is as bad as it seems the last few weeks, the bigger problem is they are generating no pressure on any QB's - forget sacks, they are not even moving the pocket, I don't care how good your secondary is, if the QB has all day to throw the secondary WILL get torched, it's inevitable

Bottom line is this, Vrabel and Harrison and others like them were signed as reclamation projects - which succeeded far beyond anyones expectations from when they were signed. Who thought Welker was worth the picks that the Pats gave up for him? - these are the types of players that the Patriots need to get back to bringing in - they are what got them on top of the mountain in the first place 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Okay, here is my true feelings on "Ashante" Samuel. He was a decent corner (probably a notch or two above "Toast" Hobbs, which is not saying much), who could not defend a goal line fade route to save his life. If not for his three pick performance against Rex Grossman and the Chicogo Bears that one year, nobody outside of New England would know who he is. He is no Ty Law and he never will be.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stay-Pro. Show Stay-Pro's posts

...I am so sick and tired of these kinds of guys crying about respect, and I'm a man, etc, blah blah blah BUT never acting respectful or like men. They all sound like a bunch of insecure whiny little babies. How about a lil class and grace from you whiny complaining EX Pats...
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Pretty much sums it up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Asante Samuel Applauds Adalius Thomas, Criticized Belichick/Patriots : Adam Nougatieri

He did win a SB but has not been as good as he was here not by a long shot.
    PATS are the same, FG% down and KO distance is up but return yds are also up and has had 4 blocked in Indy in 40 games in Indy vs 8 in 160 games in NE and in far more FG chances.
    Funny numbers are not as good and he plays indoors now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

guys, we are being unnecessarily harsh on samuel. i understand from where he talks. pats approach is not for everyone. i do not think he is talkg about the $ per say. its more about the locker room and belichik's personality. thomas said it himself, "they only care about if u are healthy and can play".. they do not  care about u beyond that or as human beings. i am sure seymour agrees too. lts of stars need that ego stroked all the time, bel ignires that. again, nothing wrong with that, just grasp that u will lose certain types. of course bel has his faves like troy and bruschi and brady for whom enough public and private displays of appreciation have been shown. it is no one's fault, personality thing. i am sure asante would have considered the discount thing if he were coming to a philly type locker room but thats not the way bel chooses to do things..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]This assh*le DROPS THE SUPER BOWL WINNING INTERCEPTION AND BLOWS HIS COVERAGE ASSIGNMENT ON DAVID TYREE AND HE F*CK*NG WONDERS WHY THE TEAM DIDN'T APPRECIATE HIM?!?!??!??! Grrrrarrrghhhhhh!!!!  G*F*Y, Asante.

Players like Samuel and Thomas are not Patriots- just contracts that will (or have) expire(d).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

@qball
    You and others keep saying it's not the fans money, the billionaire should open the wallet - can't any of you folks see that it is not as simple as that - have you heard of the salary cap?

I understand the league has a salary cap, but before Asante left, who was NE paying big money to?

Tom Brady
    Adalius Thomas

Thats all I can think of. 

You simply can't lavish every player with top of market contracts - what you end up with is 5-8 great players and 40-50 practice squad players......no one wins that way -  has any of you paid attention to what goes with the Redskins?

Agreed.  But if you look at this years team it kind of fits that description that you mention above. This team has 5-8 good/great players and the rest are mediocre.  BB does a good job of maximizing the potential of almost all of his players, but you cant replace that with talent and experience.  Asante has both.  He is better than all the DB's that are on this team right now and last years team.

If BB & Kraft continue this trend they will lose another key player.  Vince Wilfork.  Here is a guy at the start of the season that has been a professional and lived up to his contract thus far in my opinion and they still havnt paid him.  Do you consider him one of the best NT's in the game?  Well then why not pay him that?

I will say it again.  These guys have proven that they can excel in this system, why not pay them?  Instead they go and look for scraps.  I'm not into the whole Peppers thing for this exact reason.  We do not know how he will play in BB system.  I believe Thomas still has alot left in the tank, but he just doesnt fit in this system.  Keep the ones that work that way you dont end up making trades and picking up free agents that never make the team.  Keep your core strong and build around.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

As if any Pats fans care what ASSante has to say. He got his rings in New England and his fat payday in Philly.