Assault/military style weapons - what we can do to control them

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Assault/military style weapons - what we can do to control them

In 1934 the National Firearms Act, (NFA), severely restricted all fully automatic weapons, (which are machine guns, and sub machine guns) as well as sawed-off shotguns, pen pistols, cane pistols, etc. from ownership by the general public. These weapons since then have only been available to Class 3 Federal firearms license holders, which requires extensive background checks, secure gun vaults in the home, as well as expensive taxes to be paid on the weapons themselves. Since the NFA not a single legally owned machine gun  has been used in a crime. Lets all call our Senators and Congressmen today DEMANDING that any firearm above 22 rimfire caliber and capable of accepting any clip or magazine above 10 round capacity IMMEDIATELY be upgraded to class 3 status.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Assault/military style weapons - what we can do to control them

There are ample blogs discussing this issue. Please visit and post there.

What did you think about the Pats game?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Reason I posted here was simply because the issue was widely talked about in last 2 weeks - with the question What are you going to do except talk about it...Here is an idea..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Head back to the stove and heat up some water and pour yourself a cup of STFU.

What did you think of the Pats game?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] if you don't want to discuss this just ignore it, no need to be rude. that s the problem now in this country--no tolerance for anyone who's views are different than theirs. If you don't want to voice an opinion, go to another disscussion.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Ban ALL Assault Rifles. You wanna shoot, go the range and rent one! Mental Illness is being cured all over the U.S. with pscho-tropical drugs that cause horrific nightmares and caused them to lash out unexpectidally and there is no rhyme or reason, but noone wants to solve it, just make money off it and thats why it will keep happening. I watched a Documentary from the 70s called "the drugging of our children" on youtube. Since then they have been drugging them and wrongly diagnosing these children with ADHD which aint even a real disease.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slakrking. Show slakrking's posts

Do you actually know the definition of an assault rifle?

It is a rifle that has a magazine greater than 10 rounds, a pistol grip and a bayonet lug.

Do you know the lethality of a hunting rifle? The accuracy?  A high velocity scoped hunting rifle is more dangerous in the hands of a skilled shooter than any assault rifle you can think of, being black and made of plastic does not make it a more dangerous weapon.

Put them side by side and 9 out of 10 would pick the so-called assault rifle as more dangerous, nothing could be farther from the truth.

Don't turn a tragedy into a gun control debate, it's disingenuous.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

How about punishing those who do the crime? IMO, I should be able to own firearms and protect/defend my castle, my person, and my family any which way I choose; including the variety of firearm options that are available to me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Where did I say Im taking away your firearms? Just saying owners of these high capacity military weapons should be subject to Class 3 restrictions. I know a class 3 owner of an MP 44 - the German sub gun you see in the WW2 movies. Every once in awhile the doorbell rings, and there is an ATF representative to inspect the storage of it. Intrusive yes - but thats part of Class 3 ownership, at any time you are subject to the weapons storage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Since the NFA not a single legally owned machine gun has been used in a crime. 

[/QUOTE]

Also, since the war on drugs, not a single legally owned drug has been illegally consumed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I'd like to agree that some sort of higher form of gun regulation in the USA is the answer.  And then I read that there are upwards of 200+ million guns out there in the country, a lot of which are on the black market.  So if you want a gun, chances are you can get one.  For lawful gun owners, it should come down to responsible gun ownership -- keeping your guns where other people cannot get them.  But who can say that a lawful gun owner will never be involved in such a tragedy?  Even lawful gun owners have used them for wrong in the past -- and not just owners of assault rifles.   That being said, guns that this CT kid got, even though they were lawfully owned, were too readily accessible to him.  If they were the mom's guns, how about trigger locks, locking them in a safe, etc? 

I am not convinced that this country has the wherewithal or the stomach to do something about guns.  There are a lot of people who like to hunt, target shoot, etc., who are responsible people and who keep their guns out of reach from those who shouldn't have access to them.  And then there are those who see guns as all bad and want to outlaw them.  How do you get those polarized groups together to have a productive dialog around the 2nd amendment and the fact that there may need to be some kind of change needed to keep movie theatre, mall and school shootings from happening?  Even if there was a dialog, are the solutions that easy?  

I see no panacea, and I firmly believe as soon as one political faction moves to open a dialog the other politcal faction will move as fast to reject it.  We are a polarized country in lots of ways, and gun control is right up there.  Look at the backlash that Obama got in some circles for speaking on the CT tragedy.  He was accused of using the camera time for political gain.  I see it as he is the President of the USA and HAD to address it and let the families know WE ARE ALL mourning with them.  

The reason nothing will happen is because both sides are entrenched and neither will give on this issue.  Either that, we'll get another Brady Bill or some other token legislation to appease everyone but that will have minimal effect and will not change things at all.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

20 dead 6 and 7 year olds  - there will be far more than token legislation. At work today I was blasted for being a gun owner, meanwhile a petition was being circulated in the workplace to ban all the forms of weapons found at the scene, to go to all the State and Federal reps from MA. I have never seen this kind of response to any other mass murder.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

In 1934 the National Firearms Act, (NFA), severely restricted all fully automatic weapons, (which are machine guns, and sub machine guns) as well as sawed-off shotguns, pen pistols, cane pistols, etc. from ownership by the general public. These weapons since then have only been available to Class 3 Federal firearms license holders, which requires extensive background checks, secure gun vaults in the home, as well as expensive taxes to be paid on the weapons themselves. Since the NFA not a single legally owned machine gun  has been used in a crime. Lets all call our Senators and Congressmen today DEMANDING that any firearm above 22 rimfire caliber and capable of accepting any clip or magazine above 10 round capacity IMMEDIATELY be upgraded to class 3 status.

[/QUOTE]

Why do you put this on the football forum? Are there not political forums? And BTW, I dont support your idea. I will not contact my Senator.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Yup, I know it's a sports forum but some gun enthusiasts feel hunting and target practice etc. is a sport.

I do not believe in complete gun control as the goverment has enough controls but I believe in the following:

1. Handguns only and not rapid fire ones but ones where the trigger needs to be activated with each shot.

2. Rifles for hunters should be single shot and no telescopes used. I am  not in favor of killing  animals either so if the shooter misses, the animal has a chance to run. Yup, I know many poor people need the food. But with one shot at a time it becomes a bit of a sport too. I mean even the Bull in the ring has a slight chance to gore the Matador !!!

3. Automatic, high powered, multiple shot rifles should be outlawed. The shooter used this to kill kids & fired multiple shots at them. These are not needed to protect yourself from a thief, rapist etc., a pistol will do !!! And I do agree that by the time one calls 911 for help it may be too late so handguns should be allowed for people to protect themselves.

4. For the gun enthusiasts who enjoy shooting, go to a gun club but the weapons are provided. If you own a rifle, it must be kept at the gun club sort of like beer drinkers keeping their mugs in a bar.

So, with a single shot pistol, yup a loonie could still kill many people but many could escape and maybe a brave adult , security, former military etc., could charge, tackle, disarm etc. the shooter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

Where did I say Im taking away your firearms? Just saying owners of these high capacity military weapons should be subject to Class 3 restrictions. I know a class 3 owner of an MP 44 - the German sub gun you see in the WW2 movies. Every once in awhile the doorbell rings, and there is an ATF representative to inspect the storage of it. Intrusive yes - but thats part of Class 3 ownership, at any time you are subject to the weapons storage.

[/QUOTE]

And, as a law abiding citizen - why should I be handicapped by not having access to high capacity firearms when defending myself.  Seems like you're unfairly penalizing law abiding gun owners and handicapping us. Is it fair for a "criminal" who obtains a high capacity firearm - and me being limited to 5 rounds - as an example?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

In response to anonymis's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And, as a law abiding citizen - why should I be handicapped by not having access to high capacity firearms when defending myself.  Seems like you're unfairly penalizing law abiding gun owners and handicapping us. Is it fair for a "criminal" who obtains a high capacity firearm - and me being limited to 5 rounds - as an example?

[/QUOTE]

Then the NFA of 1934 handicaps you as well with not being able to buy a machine gun without Class 3 clearance...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How often to you have the need to "defend yourself" with a high-capacity semiautomatic weapon? Is this something that happens daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, once a decade . . . ever?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Lets all call our Senators and Congressmen today DEMANDING that any firearm above 22 rimfire caliber and capable of accepting any clip or magazine above 10 round capacity IMMEDIATELY be upgraded to class 3 status.

[/QUOTE]

The libs have only been trying to do that for half a century or so. Rotsa ruck.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd like to agree that some sort of higher form of gun regulation in the USA is the answer.  And then I read that there are upwards of 200+ million guns out there in the country, a lot of which are on the black market.  So if you want a gun, chances are you can get one.  For lawful gun owners, it should come down to responsible gun ownership -- keeping your guns where other people cannot get them.  But who can say that a lawful gun owner will never be involved in such a tragedy?  Even lawful gun owners have used them for wrong in the past -- and not just owners of assault rifles.   That being said, guns that this CT kid got, even though they were lawfully owned, were too readily accessible to him.  If they were the mom's guns, how about trigger locks, locking them in a safe, etc? 

I am not convinced that this country has the wherewithal or the stomach to do something about guns.  There are a lot of people who like to hunt, target shoot, etc., who are responsible people and who keep their guns out of reach from those who shouldn't have access to them.  And then there are those who see guns as all bad and want to outlaw them.  How do you get those polarized groups together to have a productive dialog around the 2nd amendment and the fact that there may need to be some kind of change needed to keep movie theatre, mall and school shootings from happening?  Even if there was a dialog, are the solutions that easy?  

I see no panacea, and I firmly believe as soon as one political faction moves to open a dialog the other politcal faction will move as fast to reject it.  We are a polarized country in lots of ways, and gun control is right up there.  Look at the backlash that Obama got in some circles for speaking on the CT tragedy.  He was accused of using the camera time for political gain.  I see it as he is the President of the USA and HAD to address it and let the families know WE ARE ALL mourning with them.  

The reason nothing will happen is because both sides are entrenched and neither will give on this issue.  Either that, we'll get another Brady Bill or some other token legislation to appease everyone but that will have minimal effect and will not change things at all.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah the country is polarized.  But please, let's not use that as an excuse for apathy. If people like you (and there are millions of them) who are "resigned" to things not changing actually put pressure on the people who represent you, things could change.  But you can't start with the assumption that nothing will ever change and then decide that therefore there's nothing you can do. You have more power than you think . . . if others who think like you also give up on giving up. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Typical tea bagger rudeness to cover the fact that you have no answers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I always just shake my head when the libs cry that they must take away the guns to stop the killing, then stamp their feet until their face is red defending the right to kill an unborn human being. Don't get much more hypocritical than that.

Moral of the story: get out of that womb, it's open season on you from the morally upright libs who want to stop that 2 per 100k more killings with guns!

God is right. This world is full of sickos. I suspect He will have the same level of mercy on you as you offer for the unborn.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to anonymis's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Then the NFA of 1934 handicaps you as well with not being able to buy a machine gun without Class 3 clearance...

[/QUOTE]

but you didn't address the fact that criminals obtain firearms illegally. why should a person like you handicap law abiding citizens when criminals would be able to obtain high cap firearms illegally? Exactly how does your solution prevent the problem you're trying to solve?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This kind of insane attitude is why gun advocates fight tooth and nail against ANY gun control.

Pat yourself on the back in the knowledge that your extreme views do more to prevent sensible gun control that promote it.