Attending Patriots/Jets game all the way from Colorado...Need advice from resident Jets fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Attending Patriots/Jets game all the way from Colorado...Need advice from resident Jets fans

Greetings to our favorite Jets fans!

I decided to attend to the attend the Patriots/Jets game in Jersey.  Going to MA is too much work.  I was able to get great airfare into Philly.  I found a great hotel near the Newark airport, which is of course is easily accessible to Met Life!

I am hoping the __________ in Washington DC will work things out so I can to the touristy things the Statue of Liberty on Saturday.... already going to Ground Zero.  My friends and I are also hoping to go to Independence Hall on Philly on the way out on Monday, if that is open

Any advice on where to go or what to do on Saturday?  Please don't send me to a place where I will get food poisoning  : )    We will be spending our time in Lower/Upper Manhattan.

Also any suggestions on what to do before the game in or around the stadium?  I told my friends, the only thing we have to do is get to the stadium when the gates open!

Our seats are in the 200's  (2nd level...behind the goal posts!)

To our resident Patriot troll...please refrain from commenting....thanks!

Thanks!

Rocky

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Attending Patriots/Jets game all the way from Colorado...Need advice from resident Jets fans

not a lot to do around the stadium. 

literally the world is yours in lower or upper Manhatten..especially foodie things...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

Re: Attending Patriots/Jets game all the way from Colorado...Need advice from resident Jets fans

If you never visited the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, it's a must. The statue is open, the NY state cut a deal with the Feds. Get the ferry tickets in advance to avoid huge lines, esp. on weekend. You can also get tickets to go inside of the Statue, they are free but not a lot of people know that you have to specifically ask for those. The whole trip is at least 4 hours if you go inside of the Statue.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Try little Italy or Chinatown

There are a few great steak places mid town

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

not a lot to do around the stadium. 

literally the world is yours in lower or upper Manhatten..especially foodie things...

[/QUOTE]

I am looking forward to all of it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In response to Angel-of-Light's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you never visited the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, it's a must. The statue is open, the NY state cut a deal with the Feds. Get the ferry tickets in advance to avoid huge lines, esp. on weekend. You can also get tickets to go inside of the Statue, they are free but not a lot of people know that you have to specifically ask for those. The whole trip is at least 4 hours if you go inside of the Statue.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if the Stature of Liberty will be open...NY has it open through Friday as a cost to the State of NY.  As soon as I hear about Saturday, I will buy tix!  Thanks for the advice!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Try little Italy or Chinatown

There are a few great steak places mid town

[/QUOTE]

I want to go to Chinatown!  I have been to NYC once, but did not got there...I am getting a Cheesesteak in Philly....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

East village has lots of cool little places between East 10th Street and East 3rd Street and between 2nd Avenue and Avenue C. Too many tourists in Little Italy/Chinatown and the food quality is low. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Steve's Sizzling Steaks on Rt 17 south, it's 5 minutes from the Stadium and is famous for it Filet Mignon and there's Biggies 100 yards down from Steve's.  Both very crowded and good.  The big filet at Steve's is like $34 and worth it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Not for everyone, but I still love the dinosaur exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History. Went there when I was about six and still love going 40+ years later.  Good thing for a Saturday afternoon if you're in to that kind of thing. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

East village has lots of cool little places between East 10th Street and East 3rd Street and between 2nd Avenue and Avenue C. Too many tourists in Little Italy/Chinatown and the food quality is low. 

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the advice!  A lot of choices...lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

First of all, I grew up on the Lower East Side of Manhattan (Bowery Boys and East Side Kids movies of the '30s).  I planned my escape when I was ten and did it when I was 21.  I spent most of my life in the Boston area and now live in Florida.  I never miss a Pats game as I have been a loyal fan since '67.

Now what to see in NY.  Here are some ideas.  Well it depends upon your interests, of course.

If you are a second, third or fourth (or even longer) generation American, and it is open, the museum at Ellis Island is a must.  Yolu get there on the same ferry as the one to the Statue of Liberty. I found it an extremely emotional experience for me because if my grandparents had not made that extremely arduous trip, I would never even have been born (1941).  I am a second/third generation Jew and that should explain it all.

The Museum of Natural History is magnificent, but it is really a two day affair to take it all in.

The Cloisters on the upper west side of Manhattan is very interesting.

Ground zero.  I haven't been there, but it should be seen.

The Tenement Museum on Delancy Street.  I hear it is great, but I haven't been there.  It would remind me too much of why I wanted to escape as I grew up just a few blocks from there.

Orchard Street between Delancy St. and Stanton St.  No cars (now) and lots of push-carts as well as stores.

Chinatown (Mott St.) is really AsiaTown now and has expanded into the Lower East Side.

Central Park - BY DAY!!!!!

The Bronx Zoo.  It is second only to the San Diego Zoo.  If not that, then the Central Park Zoo.

The top of the Empire State Building.

The Guggenheim Museum.

Times Square.

There is a lot to see.  I haven't even touched Brooklyn or Queens.  NYC is place with a tremendous amount to offer visitors.  I just wouldn't want to live there -- EVER.

Keep a tight guard on your wallet (pickpockets).
    Hope this helps/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  Stay out of the tourist trap crap. You'll spend more money and time trying to get in and out of those joints.   NY is overrated, but if you pick your spots in the right neighborhood, you can make it count.

Quirky East Village has more manuverability and a better vibe. You get more for your time.

To be honest, the North End in Boston blows away NYC's Little Italy.  Chinatown in NY is big as it is in Chicago, but I still like Boston's for quality and less people.

I don't like giving away my favorite places but ATLAS CAFE at 73 Second Avenue between 4th and 5th Streets has good vegan, vegetarian and non vegetarian salads, sandwiches and is CHEAP and BOHEMIAN. I think it is open for Breakfast on Sundays so you can grab something decent before you head out to Met Life Stadium. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Art, Design and Architecture is my field. The easiest place to take this in is the Gugenheim Museum on 5th Avenue and 89th Street. The structure built by Frank Lloyd Wright is modern but personable and any exhibition is easy to see there as one walks up and down a single spiral walkway that leads to the sky. Central Park Reservoir is adjacent and nice to catch your breath in. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Angel-of-Light's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if the Stature of Liberty will be open...NY has it open through Friday as a cost to the State of NY.  As soon as I hear about Saturday, I will buy tix!  Thanks for the advice!

[/QUOTE]

Getting inside the statue is one thing.  I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that gettting to the crown is by advance reservation and is about a 3 month wait.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Getting inside the statue is one thing.  I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that gettting to the crown is by advance reservation and is about a 3 month wait.

[/QUOTE]

The last time I was there, about a decade or so ago, not ticket was required.  You just got off the ferry and went in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

Here is the Statue of Liberty info from the government site:

http://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Thanks everybody!  So much great advice!  I really do appreciate it!  Of course one day and 12-13 hours is no way enough time...

It is great when people on the board are like this!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Greetings to our favorite Jets fans!

I decided to attend to the attend the Patriots/Jets game in Jersey.  Going to MA is too much work.  I was able to get great airfare into Philly.  I found a great hotel near the Newark airport, which is of course is easily accessible to Met Life!

I am hoping the __________ in Washington DC will work things out so I can to the touristy things the Statue of Liberty on Saturday.... already going to Ground Zero.  My friends and I are also hoping to go to Independence Hall on Philly on the way out on Monday, if that is open

Any advice on where to go or what to do on Saturday?  Please don't send me to a place where I will get food poisoning  : )    We will be spending our time in Lower/Upper Manhattan.

Also any suggestions on what to do before the game in or around the stadium?  I told my friends, the only thing we have to do is get to the stadium when the gates open!

Our seats are in the 200's  (2nd level...behind the goal posts!)

To our resident Patriot troll...please refrain from commenting....thanks!

Thanks!

Rocky

[/QUOTE]

For Saturday, the double-decker tour bus in Manhattan is an interesting experience.  You can get off at different stops along the way and then resume the tour on the next bus.  Sure beats traffic hassles, taxi fares, and attempting to find parking spots at various sites of interest.

There's a very friendly Irish Pub on east 85th between First and Second Ave. when you're ready for some libation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

If you are traveling with your GF, wife or significant other, and don't mind dropping a few extra bucks, stop and have a drink or two at the Ritz bar. It sits on the southern edge of Central park. Its very nice, and she'll be impressed. A walk through the park afterwards is really nice too, especially in the fall and if the weather is pleasant,  but skip the carrage rides - talk about a ripoff...

NYC is a great place to visit, despite the presence of the Jets (though they keep them in NJ)  :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BelichickDisciple's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you are traveling with your GF, wife or significant other, and don't mind dropping a few extra bucks, stop and have a drink or two at the Ritz bar. It sits on the southern edge of Central park. Its very nice, and she'll be impressed. A walk through the park afterwards is really nice too, especially in the fall and if the weather is pleasant,  but skip the carrage rides - talk about a ripoff...

NYC is a great place to visit, despite the presence of the Jets (though they keep them in NJ)  :)

[/QUOTE]

Visit maybe once or twice in your life as an adult over a weekend, but it's no Chicago.   It's kind of like Vegas. Fun for a weekend, but overrated.

Chicago blows NYC out of the water for a metropolitan experience, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Chicago?  WAAAAAAY overrated.  In my opinion, here are the best cities (and surrounding areas) to visit in the US:

1 - Boston (Small and SOOOO much there)

2 - NY

3 - DC

4 - SF

5 - LV

6 and on - Philadelphia? Atlanta? LA?  SD? Orlando (area)? Chicago?  NO? Portland, ME? Denver/Boulder/Silver City?  Williamsburg, VA? Gettysburg/Penn. Ducth?  Albuquerque?  Take your pick.

I've never been to Salt Lake City, Seattle, or Dallas so I can't comment on those.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SLGDEV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Visit maybe once or twice in your life as an adult over a weekend, but it's no Chicago.   It's kind of like Vegas. Fun for a weekend, but overrated.

[/QUOTE]

Chicago?  WAAAAAAY overrated.  In my opinion, here are the best cities (and surrounding areas) to visit in the US:

2 - NY

3 - DC

4 - SF

5 - LV

6 and on - Philadelphia? Atlanta? LA?  SD? Orlando (area)? Chicago?  NO? Portland, ME? Denver/Boulder/Silver City?  Williamsburg, VA? Gettysburg/Penn. Ducth?  Albuquerque?  Take your pick.

I've never been to Salt Lake City, Seattle, or Dallas so I can't comment on those.

[/QUOTE]

How is Chicago "overrated"?  It's a superior big city experience to that of NYC. Not even close!  Clearly, you've never been there.

It's cheaper, friendlier, cleaner, easier to get around, way better public transportation, better vibe, restaurants and bars are great, etc.

What more could you want? It's a bigger Boston. 

It all depends what you want in an experience, but the fact you have Las Vegas on a top 5 list means you haven't really been to Chicago before.

Boston, Chicago, SF, Austin, TX, Seattle, and DC are my favorite American cities. Each is completely different but entirely unique too.  Chicago edges DC simply for the ability to go from neighborhood to neighborhood within minutes and less sprawl like DC.

Smaller cities, I like Savannah, GA, Memphis, TN, Asheville, NC, Charleston, SC. Places like that.

Crap/overrated cities:

Dallas

Atlanta

Houston

Miami

Phoenix

[/QUOTE]

I've been to Chicago several times.  Nothing much except, perhaps, their Museum of Art.  That was excellent.  "Bigger Boston"????  Surely you jest.  How can you compare ANYTHING in Chicago with the wealth of history and neighborhoods in Boston (unless you like the South side.  As for public transportation, NY has probably the best and most wide-ranging in the entire US.  Chicago is just plain crap of a city.

I missed on Savannah and Charleston.  Those are very good. 

I have never been to Ausin, but I also forgot Sante Fe, NM.  That was quite nice -- but, I guess, you could lump that in with Albuquerque.

I never even heard of Asheville, NC.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

Only been to Chicago once, for a very breif visit. I did seek out and find a cool divey kind of bar downtown that had great food, and lots of sports memorobilia. I enjoyed talking to the bartender there, it was a nice experience. The little I saw was nice enough, but not enough for me to want to go back that much.

I really like visiting Philly too, although I seem to be in the minority whenever I mention that out loud!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2 - NY

3 - DC

4 - SF

5 - LV

[/QUOTE]

How is Chicago "overrated"?  It's a superior big city experience to that of NYC. Not even close!  Clearly, you've never been there.

It's cheaper, friendlier, cleaner, easier to get around, way better public transportation, better vibe, restaurants and bars are great, etc.

What more could you want? It's a bigger Boston. 

It all depends what you want in an experience, but the fact you have Las Vegas on a top 5 list means you haven't really been to Chicago before.

Boston, Chicago, SF, Austin, TX, Seattle, and DC are my favorite American cities. Each is completely different but entirely unique too.  Chicago edges DC simply for the ability to go from neighborhood to neighborhood within minutes and less sprawl like DC.

Smaller cities, I like Savannah, GA, Memphis, TN, Asheville, NC, Charleston, SC. Places like that.

Crap/overrated cities:

Dallas

Atlanta

Houston

Miami

Phoenix

[/QUOTE]

I've been to Chicago several times.  Nothing much except, perhaps, their Museum of Art.  That was excellent.  "Bigger Boston"????  Surely you jest.  How can you compare ANYTHING in Chicago with the wealth of history and neighborhoods in Boston (unless you like the South side.  As for public transportation, NY has probably the best and most wide-ranging in the entire US.  Chicago is just plain crap of a city.

I missed on Savannah and Charleston.  Those are very good. 

I have never been to Ausin, but I also forgot Sante Fe, NM.  That was quite nice -- but, I guess, you could lump that in with Albuquerque.

I never even heard of Asheville, NC.

[/QUOTE]

You;ve never heard of Asheville, NC?  Oh my.  One of the crown jewels in this country.  In the mountains, great vibe, etc.  Highly recommended. Tons of character, great weekend getaway option tucked into the mountains.  Nice restaurants and tons of breweries. Great art scene, mostly for the music.

Nationwide recognition [edit]

"Asheville pops up on national rankings for a variety of things: "a New Age Mecca" (CBS News' Eye On America, 1996),[26] the "New Freak Capital of the U.S." (Rolling Stone, 2000), one of "The 50 Most Alive Places To Be" (Modern Maturity, 2000),[27] the "Happiest City for Women" (Self, 2002),[28] one of the "Best Places to Reinvent Your Life" (AARP Magazine, 2003),[29] one the "Best Outside Towns" (Outside Magazine, 2006),[30] one of the "Top Seven Places to Live in the U.S." (Frommer's, 2007),[31] one of the “10 Most Beautiful Places in America" (Good Morning America, 2011),[32] and one of the "25 Best Places for Business and Careers" (Forbes, 2012). Asheville has been listed as one of the "Top 25 Small Cities for Art" in AmericanStyle magazine's annual list from 2000 to 2012[33] and has reigned the champion "Beer City USA" each year from 2009 to 2012.

In his 2008 book, The Geography of Bliss, author Eric Weiner cited Asheville as one of the happiest places in the United States.

Asheville and the surrounding mountains are also popular in the autumn when fall foliage peaks in October. The scenic Blue Ridge Parkway runs through the area and near the Biltmore Estate."

There is no way crappy Albequerque is as nice as Sante Fe either.  That's bizarre.

Yes, Chicago's Lake Shore Drive is like Storrow Drive. Both on the water.  Politics, sports, vibe, walkability, restaurants, bars, on the water, great history in its own right if more developed in the 1800s, the infamous architecture. 

Are you kidding me?

You have Boston #1, which is a fine choice, and Chicago doesn't make a top 5? How is that possible?  I can tell you've never spent much time there.

[/QUOTE]

The happiest place in the US, and friendliest, is where I live -- The Villages, FL.  There is no place like it on earth.  (www.thevillages.com).  These have been the best 7 1/2 years of my life and I loved the Boston area for the 37 years we lived there.

Albuquerue has Old Town.  As a whole, the city doesn't compare with Santa Fe, but they are close enough together to be treated as one.A

As for Chicago, I don't consider it particularly walkable and since I don't frequent bars......  No, it is not in the top five.  What can compare with Boston's South End, North End and Chinatown? -- and you can walk from one to another.  Then you have the Freedom Trail, Old Ironsides (iyes, I include near suburbs), all those colleges which produces an educated atmosphere to the place, Lexington/Concord, all those town squares, etc., etc.  There is no city to compare with it in the US.  Chicago?  Nonsense.

The next three are really the next three -- in no particular order.  This order is what I choose, but they are really close.  Then LV is an entertainment capital.  Simply fantastic.

After that, they are all pretty much a group and that is where Chicago fits in.  You have heard the 100 year old joke "First prize is a week in Philadelphia.  Second prize is two weeks in Philadelphia" haven't you?  Well, I will take Philadelphia over Chicago any day,  Now what does that say about my opinion of Chicago?  Why, I might even rate St. Louis over Chicago (great Zoo and then there is the arch and the Italian section).

To crappy citiies I would add Cleveland (though the R and R Hall of Fame is great) and Pittburgh.  Denver, don't bother.

It all boils down to personal opinion.  For me, why I'd even go to NY (which I hate) before going back to Chicago.  Different strokes.....