Ballard Underwheling?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Ballard Underwheling?

Ballard has had a good deal of time to rehab his knee.  Altho it's probable that BB is bringing him back slowly, Ballard seems to have been invisible/underwhelming vs. fan expectations.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/08/jake_ballard_adds_to_tight_end_strength

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Ballard Underwheling?

In response to anonymis's comment:

Ballard has had a good deal of time to rehab his knee.  Altho it's probable that BB is bringing him back slowly, Ballard seems to have been invisible/underwhelming vs. fan expectations.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/08/jake_ballard_adds_to_tight_end_strength

lets be reasonable. the guy is comig off of a devastating knee injury. he is still not running 100%. he could still be in that mold of TE's similar to Crumpler or Brady, but Ballard is walking around 20 pounds lighter than when he played for the Jints. while still an above average blocker, he is not the OLman on the end as envisioned. I think Sud is a lock. Hooman does a lot of things on ST's, TE and H back. If Gronk is not on the PUP, I think Ballard is a long shot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

You stated it correctly vs. fan expectations. As the article and others have stated he's by far the best blocking TE the Patriots currently have. They are bringing him back slowly for good reasons since the injury nearly ended his football career. But we can only go by what we see in the games and what limited feedback BB gives the press. There were positive reports of him catching passes during training camp.

My expectations are that he'll compliment Gronk and Sudfeld when Gronk comes back meaning you could see him in a two or three TE formation with him and Gronk at each end providing two solid options for the run on either side or plenty of passing options.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think Fells will be gone - now I'm not sure how much Fells makes - but I think that will factor into it. I haven't noticed Ballard all that much, but he can't actually be slower than Fells, can he? Fells runs like an offensive lineman, the guy ran a 4.9 coming out of college, I'd be willing to take my chances with Ballard over him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think Fells will be gone - now I'm not sure how much Fells makes - but I think that will factor into it. I haven't noticed Ballard all that much, but he can't actually be slower than Fells, can he? Fells runs like an offensive lineman, the guy ran a 4.9 coming out of college, I'd be willing to take my chances with Ballard over him.

what if they only carry 3? Hooman or Ballard?(assuming Gronk and Sudfeld)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Can't be a 2TE offense with only 3TEs?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to teegee's comment:

Can't be a 2TE offense with only 3TEs?

why not?

this isnt a 2 TE offense...some games this will be a 3 WR offense....we may see some games with a 2 RB offense

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

what if they only carry 3? Hooman or Ballard?(assuming Gronk and Sudfeld)

Yeah they could do that, it depends on where they think the talent is, because if they have proven anything over the years...they won't keep around a guy just because it may leave them thin at a spot (if he's not talented enough he'll be gone). We have also seen them be heavy at spots because they didn't want to put that talent on a waiver wire - as for the runners, with the way those guys go down with injuries, it may not be a bad idea to load up there. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Why has Ballard started with the 1s, if he's underwhelming?

I'm sure the Giants would love to have him back but we all know it's not happening!  Looking forward to watching him tonight with the 1st unit once again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I see Fells over Hooman. Fells has had a good preseason, looked really good in game 1 not sure if he is dinged up right now or not.

BTW Gronk, Ballard, Sudfeld and Fells make the 53, imo!  Gronk will not go on PUP.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Ballard is a road paving tight end, he plays as an extra offensive lineman much the way Kyle Brady and Christian Fauria did in New England.  He is not a high flying downfield threat.     Despite what "fans" may perceive, BLOCKING is actually an important aspect in football.     Ballard is a huge, plodding, physical mauler of a tight end who will probably catch a lot of TD's down near the goal line because the opponent will be trying to cover somebody else and Ballard will be left alone with his big soft mitts to catch some easy tosses his way.  He is not going to catch a ton of passes, that is not his job.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He blocks, thats why he's here. That's what he does best, thats where he will make his mark. Fells  is gone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

I see Fells over Hooman. Fells has had a good preseason, looked really good in game 1 not sure if he is dinged up right now or not.

BTW Gronk, Ballard, Sudfeld and Fells make the 53, imo!  Gronk will not go on PUP.

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

Philly's defense sucks.  Take every offensive good play away from Game 1. TBs D is a much better test as is Detroit's on the road tonight.

[/QUOTE]

Lions D is a better test?  The lions are a mess.  Yes, they have a good defensive line but
    The Lions brought in Rashean Mathis last week from the JAGS and he took over for their starting cornerback within four days.  They will be starting a rookie at the other CB position, Darius Slay. The disarray with the DB's makes the Pats DBs look like all-stars.  This is a great game for the rookie Patriots receivers to get a lot of rep in.

This preseason game should be a Pats blowout.  Browns spanked the lions.  The lines O line is horrible.  They have Megatron who is a stud and I hear Bush has looked really good so far.  Stafford, well I'm not a fan of his.  Pats should win big.  If not then we have some serious issues heading into the regular season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

If he can fill Crumpler's role, that would be good.  If he could catch a few - even better.  Even though blocking is not a glamorous job - people do notice when TEs make nice blocks.  Ballard just appears to be invisible.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I never saw the fascination. Sure he is big, but he was always a slow, lumbering guy who took a while to pick up speed and add in that injury to three joints and he is probably struggling to beat Brady in sprint warmups. It was a good move, but just not needed now. Everyone else is ahead of him. If he stays its only cuz BB doesnt want to waste the past year and half with him. I just think fans got excited like always when they think BB is getting over or pulling a gnius move. Most times when you steal a player, nothing comes from it. See Garret Mills. Sure he looked good catching some passes on a gimpy Pat Chung 2 years ago but does anyone have a highlight reel on him?? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Ballard is a road paving tight end, he plays as an extra offensive lineman much the way Kyle Brady and Christian Fauria did in New England.  He is not a high flying downfield threat.     Despite what "fans" may perceive, BLOCKING is actually an important aspect in football.     Ballard is a huge, plodding, physical mauler of a tight end who will probably catch a lot of TD's down near the goal line because the opponent will be trying to cover somebody else and Ballard will be left alone with his big soft mitts to catch some easy tosses his way.  He is not going to catch a ton of passes, that is not his job.

Ballard is not huge anymore.

He is an above average blocker, but not elite for a TE.

His skills on the Pats in some games translates to 10-25 snaps per game, yet in other matchups perhaps he is not on the game day actives

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to GO47's comment:

Why has Ballard started with the 1s, if he's underwhelming?

I'm sure the Giants would love to have him back but we all know it's not happening!  Looking forward to watching him tonight with the 1st unit once again.

Yep.  I think they've known he may not be 100% through camp, but have an expectation for him to improve in that area as the season goes.

I also think if they were convinced he wasn't going to make it, they'd give the reps to Hooman, Fells and Sudfeld, cutting him now to allow him to hook on with someone else.  I don't think Fells even played last week.

Ballard is a very good blocker, not Gronk level, but a good one. I saw him open numerous times on his routes.  He didn't look 100%, but he didn't look far off either.

It's pretty clear has been working on certain things in preseason and it just hasn't involved a lot of Ballard in terms of receiving. It's been Dobson, then it was Thompkins, some Boyce, then some Sudfeld last week. Amendola throughout.

People are overanalyzing the statistical output in these games. You have to look at skill set and envision what the player can do within a certain gameplan. 

It appears to me on paper it's Ballard, Hooman, Sudfeld with Fells odd man looking in.  Gronk to PUP.  Come Week 7, they might have to cut Hooman, but at that point Sudfeld is probably looking good, Ballard a good option and Gronk being Gronk.

It will be interesting to see if they keep 3 or 4 TEs. Last year they seemed to keep 4 with a bunch of free agents coming in and out due to all the injuries. I'm sure it will be predicated on what the numbers are for the other positions and what their overall game strategies will be. With a copycat league who ever they do cut will be picked up quickly. So hopefully they make the right decisions.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

Philly's defense sucks.  Take every offensive good play away from Game 1. TBs D is a much better test as is Detroit's on the road tonight.

Lions D is a better test?  The lions are a mess.  Yes, they have a good defensive line but
    The Lions brought in Rashean Mathis last week from the JAGS and he took over for their starting cornerback within four days.  They will be starting a rookie at the other CB position, Darius Slay. The disarray with the DB's makes the Pats DBs look like all-stars.  This is a great game for the rookie Patriots receivers to get a lot of rep in.

This preseason game should be a Pats blowout.  Browns spanked the lions.  The lines O line is horrible.  They have Megatron who is a stud and I hear Bush has looked really good so far.  Stafford, well I'm not a fan of his.  Pats should win big.  If not then we have some serious issues heading into the regular season.

Their back end may be a question mark, but their front 7 is not. I was talking about the run game up against a D's front 7 and the starters.

I am well aware of Detroit's awful pass D. You clearly forgot about the 2011 preseason game, too. We got blasted 34-10 and Brady was hit all first half.

Detroit is an up and coming team and will yet again treat this 3rd preseason game as a real test. Our offense best be prepared for this one.

The point was, Philly's D sucks all around, and you were saying Fells looked great vs them. I would throw every great looking play out the window vs Philly. They are switching to a 3-4 have a brand new coach, D personnel, etc. 

[/QUOTE]

Of course I did not forget about the 2011 Lions preseason game.  If you were paying attention in the Pats vs Bucs game thread you would have seen where I posted about it.  I mentioned how good the defense looked against the Bucs in preseason 2011, we were all stoked, only to have them look horrible to the Lions the next week and then giving up so many points and yards during the regular season.  Thank goodness TFB was there to lead them to the SB.  And if that happens against this Lions team tonight, then we are in double trouble.  The Lions O line is pathetic.  The Pats better have 5+ sacks tonight.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Ah, yes, the ever popular fan expectations.  Actually see quite a bit in threads on this board.  With respect to Ballard, I'm inclined to agree that he'll probably make 53-man roster.  Coming back from the kind of injury he had is a long and tough road, particularly for a big guy which he still is, despite dropping a few pounds.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

With the apparent great FA pick up of Sudfeld and several young WR the Pats have options I didn’t see a month ago. Gronk and Ballard can go on the PUP for 6 weeks. Take a look at Ballard at week seven.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

With the apparent great FA pick up of Sudfeld and several young WR the Pats have options I didn’t see a month ago. Gronk and Ballard can go on the PUP for 6 weeks. Take a look at Ballard at week seven.

ahhh, intriguing idea....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

[QUOTE] 

ahhh, intriguing idea....

[/QUOTE]

And unless I'm mistaken Ballard would be PUP eligible.