Baltimore Sun Whines For Ravens

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Baltimore Sun Whines For Ravens

According to Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun (the guy who thinks that the Pats are soft), for the second straight year, the best team in the AFC will not be going to the SB...LOL!!! Here's his article, with my comments interlaced therein, in bold black:

Ravens come up short one more time

10:14 p.m. EST, January 22, 2012

For the second straight year, the best team in the American Football Conference will not be playing in the Super Bowl.
    RESPONSE: Hey, Mike...whether you like it or not, the AFC championship game determines which team in the best team in the AFC. What's so hard about understanding that?

To call them chokers would be offensive to a team that played so hard against another great team, but the Ravens didn't make plays when they needed to in the biggest game of the year.
    RESPONSE: How is it that "the best team in the AFC", your Buzzards, didn't make the plays when they needed to? Doesn't that show that maybe, just maybe, they aren't the best team in the AFC? 

Again.
    RESPONSE: How many years have the Ravens been "the best team in the AFC"? They haven't been to a SB in over a decade.

Receiver Lee Evans dropped a perfectly thrown touchdown pass with 27 seconds left in the game which would have given the Ravens a four-point victory.
    RESPONSE: Uhhhh...I saw a Patriots' player, Sterling Moore, knock the ball out of Evans' hands. So...how is that "a drop"? Doesn't Moore deserve some credit for making a good play?

Twelve seconds later, Billy Cundiff's 32-yard field goal attempt, which would have tied the game and probably sent it into overtime, sailed wide left.
    RESPONSE: There's a word for that..."choke".

Within seconds of the missed field goal, you could read these words coming from the lips of outside linebacker Terrell Suggs, "Oh my God."
    RESPONSE: Oh...sizzle wasn't sizzling, I guess.

"Honestly, the most disappointing part of all this is that I feel personally that I let everybody down," Evans said. "This is the greatest team that I've been on, and I feel like I let everybody down. Yeah, it's on my shoulders. I think Ray gave a good message coming in here. It's hard to sit here and accept how and why things happened, but it's the reality of it. It's as tough as it gets."
    There was similar disappointment a year ago in the divisional semifinals in Pittsburgh. The Ravens had taken a 21-7 halftime lead against the hated Steelers, and they blew it with fumbles and interceptions.
    RESPONSE: What? The best team in the AFC blew a game by turning the ball over?? Hey Mike...don't the best teams not turn the ball over?

And then in crunch time, in the waning minutes of the game, they gave up a long pass on third-and-18 which eventually led to the game-winning touchdown. But even in that game, the Ravens still had an opportunity to win but receiver Anquan Boldin dropped a touchdown pass in the end zone and fellow receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh dropped a fourth-down pass in Pittsburgh territory to end a last minute drive.
    RESPONSE: What? Don't the best teams not drop passes?

The Ravens can't finish.
    RESPONSE: Don't the best teams "finish"?

"I think the only thing we can take from this is, if we get into this position again, we've got to come through," tight end Ed Dickson said. "Just little things throughout the game. We were supposed to get beaten by at least seven by this team, and we fought our tails off on defense and offense and special teams. In championship games, the margin of error is very little, and the Patriots pulled it out."
    RESPONSE: Isn't that what the "best teams" do?

This was so painful to watch because you thought the Ravens had learned their lesson last season. They played so hard Sunday. Every yard was tough. No team wanted to blink. There were only a few great plays made in the game, but the Ravens couldn't make the necessary ones at the end.

You're hoping they don't turn into the old Minnesota Vikings or Cleveland Browns.

"In the NFL, you have to make big plays in pressure situations and he [Cundiff] missed," New England coach Bill Belichick said.

If the Ravens had finished the Patriots off, this would have been a great turning point in franchise history and for quarterback Joe Flacco. Instead of being a bridesmaid, they would have finally been a bride, at least in the AFC.

But it didn't happen, and there are no more excuses. In the past, fingers were pointed at offensive coordinator Cam Cameron. But on Sunday, he called a good, strong game and had the Patriots totally off balance.

There was skepticism about Flacco, but he outplayed New England's Tom Brady and led one long drive in the third quarter which was phenomenal, and then bounced back after an interception to help produce what should have been a game-winning drive late in the fourth.

You start to feel sympathy for veterans like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Anquan Boldin and Cory Redding. Boldin had six catches for 101 yards. Lewis had 12 tackles, and was throwing his body all over the field during a goal-line stand early in the fourth quarter.

Reed knocked down a Brady pass intended for tight end Aaron Hernandez with 1:56 left in the game to help set the stage for the Ravens comeback attempt. You see this and your mind flashes back to when Lewis was younger and the Ravens didn't get to one or two more Super Bowls because they didn't have a quarterback.

Now, they have one and still can't get it done.
    RESPONSE: How is it that "the best team in the AGC" can't get it done, Mike?? LOL!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Baltimore Sun Whines For Ravens

TP, link isn't working bro

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I think you forgot to post the article.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: Baltimore Sun Whines For Ravens:
    [QUOTE]I think you forgot to post the article.
    Posted by kevin13130[/QUOTE]

Check it out now, Kev.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Yep, spot on analysis TP.

Haha, this guy says the Ravens are the best team in the AFC, and then lists a dozen things that contradict his statement.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Pat fans are whining too, and the Patriots won for goodness sakes. So who are we to complain about their whining.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE] Pat fans are whining too, and the Patriots won for goodness sakes. So who are we to complain about their whining.
    Posted by ccnsd[/QUOTE]

We are us.  A collective of people with all different types of perspectives.  Some of us don't whine, and point out the whining of others.  Some of us do whine.  MOST of us don't.  Keep that whole "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" thing to yourself, there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

So....Kordell Stewart writes under a different name?

Interesting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

the best part was reading suggs lips...lolLaughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]the best part was reading suggs lips...lol
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

Yes....LOL!!! I think that we were all hoping that the Pats would splatter the Ravens. But, when you think about it, winning the way the Pats did is even better.

Why?? Because this loss will haunt Lewis, T-Sizzle (Suggs), Pollard, and the rest of those thugs much longer than would a blow-out...LOL!!!

Be ready for the obligatory blizzard of Buzzard excuses!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

.....while BDC yawns for them..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Seriously who cares.  The Pats won, been doing nothing but celebrating since.  Why in the world would you even be looking at a Baltimore paper.  I bet later today you will have 50 posts, one for each espn analyst who says the Ravens should have won. 

Learn to enjoy it.  Who cares what others think.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Seriously who cares.  The Pats won, been doing nothing but celebrating since.  Why in the world would you even be looking at a Baltimore paper.  I bet later today you will have 50 posts, one for each espn analyst who says the Ravens should have won.  Learn to enjoy it.  Who cares what others think.
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

I am enjoying. I find their whines amusing. That's why I post about them. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I very much enjoyed the postgame show where it seemed they were all very disappointed in the outcome. Sterling was especially sad. This added to my happiness.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]the best part was reading suggs lips...lol
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

That was great. Best part is that slowmo of him will be played over and over again

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baltimore Sun Whines For Ravens :      I am  enjoying. I find their whines amusing. That's why I post about them. 
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Ok then.  I am avoiding pretty much all those today (ESPN, NFL network, etc.) because I know the story their going to paint is how "lucky" the Pats were.  I just don't even watch/read that garbage anymore. 

The ironic part for Baltimore is they were not even the best team last week.  Houston out-played them in every area.  It's the NFL ---- JUST WIN BABY!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baltimore Sun Whines For Ravens : Ok then.  I am avoiding pretty much all those today (ESPN, NFL network, etc.) because I know the story their going to paint is how "lucky" the Pats were.  I just don't even watch/read that garbage anymore.  The ironic part for Baltimore is they were not even the best team last week.  Houston out-played them in every area.  It's the NFL ---- JUST WIN BABY!!!!

What you say about the Ravens and Houston is true. Were it not for a gift TD, that the Ravens received in the form of a muffed punt, which the Buzzards recovered at the Houston two yard line...Baltimore probably would have lost.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]I very much enjoyed the postgame show where it seemed they were all very disappointed in the outcome. Sterling was especially sad. This added to my happiness.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

I heard that Marshall Faulk got drunk seeing the Buzzards lose...LOL!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

For the third straight year the Jets didn't get to the Super Bowl.  Wait...I'm confused.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baltimore Sun Whines For Ravens : Ok then.  I am avoiding pretty much all those today (ESPN, NFL network, etc.) because I know the story their going to paint is how "lucky" the Pats were.  I just don't even watch/read that garbage anymore.  The ironic part for Baltimore is they were not even the best team last week.  Houston out-played them in every area.  It's the NFL ---- JUST WIN BABY!!!!

And Balt outplayed the Pats in just about every area.

It's an absurd article, but no different than what would be appearing in the Globe or Herald had the Pats lost. It's more of a rip-job on the Ravens, calling them out on their short-comings than taking anything away from PIT or NE. Calling them the "best team in the AFC for the second straight year" is a complete joke though, and I understand ripping that apart. Everything else, he's pretty much right.

Sterling got plain lucky on the TD that wasn't. He put himself in good position, but NEVER saw the ball, and did what most of us have been criticising all year; back to the QB, swipe and pray. It actually worked this time. On 4th, that was a legit, good play.

BAL D was excellent in the Red Zone. Flacco did better than almost anyone said he could. BAL won the TO battle. Better on 3rd down. More total yards. Higher yard per play. More yards per rush. And won the time of possession battle. Also, Baltimore made far more big plays than the Pats (2 TOs, T Smith twice, 9 third down conversions, and bottled up Brady pretty good).

Pats had more sacks surprisingly (3-1), and more points, which is the most important. But make no mistake, the Pats have to play a lot better to hope to beat the NYG. The NYG are built to beat the Pats.

Celebrate all you want, but the Pats have won nothing yet. As Ty Law called it, all they have right now are the "loser rings".

Oh, and BAL commited 6 penalties to NEs 1. They killed themselves, it wasn't who was going to make the last play, it was who was going to make the last mistake, and it was Baltimore (Credit to TEC for the 'last mistake' line, that sums it up perfectly).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baltimore Sun Whines For Ravens :      I heard that Marshall Faulk got drunk seeing the Buzzards lose...LOL!!!
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Haha

Tom Jackson was so angry, he shot a man just for snoring.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

He completely discounts the TWO Brady INTs and the fumble the Pats had inside their 30 which contributed to Ravens points.  No INTs or fumble, a few less Ravens points.  Also, listen to Mel Kiper, he is all about Ravens this and that as if the Pats had no impact on this game.  The writing is on the wall.. there will be significant more love for the Giants as we approach the SB.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]He completely discounts the TWO Brady INTs and the fumble the Pats had inside their 30 which contributed to Ravens points.  No INTs or fumble, a few less Ravens points.  Also, listen to Mel Kiper, he is all about Ravens this and that as if the Pats had no impact on this game.  The writing is on the wall.. there will be significant more love for the Giants as we approach the SB.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Good. It will be the opposite of the undefeated buildup from 2008. I wonder if John Tomase has another blockbuster story stashed somewhere in the folds of his stomach that he can release the Friday before the SB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Let's take a step back into Bizarro Fotball world and the Ravens face the Packers in the Super Bowl.  Ravens win in similar fashion to the Patriots, do you think this guy writes about the best team in the NFL not winning?  I don't think so, and discount his coronotaion of a team that got smothered by the Chargers, Titans, Jaguars and Seahawks and should have lost to the Steelers and should have lost to the Cardinals.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

I enjoyed reading the article with your retorts/responses. No love lost with the Ravens. I swear Pollard tries to dismember Pats players. Not to mention the rest of the cast of  brute characters including their  head coach-  camera caught him pushing his offensive coordinator (?) on the sidelines during the game. Nice.
    More than a few people think Cundiff should enter the witness protection program.
    Good guys WON!