BB and his bend but don't break defense philosophy needs to change!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: BB and his bend but don't break defense philosophy needs to change!

There is no such defense called Bend don't Break.  It's a term invented by the media to explain chitty DB giving up huge chunks of yards.  What needs to change is DMC, Arrington, Moore and Chung.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

patsfan76 - normally I agree except that the prevent D isn't doing what it's suppose to do. This year we lead the league in giving up 20+ yard players in the 2nd half. Additionally on average opponents are scoring quicker when we are in prevent then when we aren't. This has been an issue for a while now not just this year. When you have a 3 score lead it should not be acceptable to win by the skin of your teeth or to give up the lead. That's one thing the prevent has consistently done. Given up more point per series average then when they are not in prevent and more points per ToP then when they are not. That's not how prevent D's are meant to run.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

eli was clutch, brady wasnt....end of story.

[/QUOTE]

This is an oversimplification imo.  In both losses to the G men our offensive line was dominated by their front 4.

[/QUOTE]

this is true.....but look at the play eli made to tyree....he was nearly sacked and managed to complete that pass....yes alot of it was luck....but it still happened....the pass rush wasnt the only reason the pats offense was stagnant in both of the super bowls....there was the maroney fumble, the welker drop, the brady safety, as well as brady overthrowing wide open receivers repeatedly....i thought he played well in this past year's super bowl, but he didnt close the deal.

[/QUOTE]

He would have been sacked if their o-line didn't hold.Let's not re-hash this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I want to see the scowl on Bill Belichick's face the first time some reporter asks him about his "bend but don't break" defense. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

if you want to be apologists to the offense in the super bowls thats fine.....in my opinion, scoring 17 and 14 points in a whole game for an offense led by tom brady is unacceptable, espescially when they are giving the other team two points to start off the game.....if you guys really think brady is one of the all time greats, you would not be satisfied with his effort in the last two super bowls he was in. maybe im just holding him to a higher standard than you guys, but the way i see it is that the offense was putting up 30+ almost every game during the regular season and the defense was even worse then....so when the defense gets better in the playoffs, they should have been able to score more points right? nope, they scored less.

[/QUOTE]
    They were putting up 30 points in 12 possession games not 8 possession games.  Imagine what they could have done with those 4 extra possessions and the extra 15+ minutes Eli had on offense because the D let him stay there.  If they only scored 14 & 17 in 12 possession games you would have a point, but unfortunately that was never the case in either game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Dennard is the next fan favorite to save the secondary.  A few years ago, it was Darius Butler--the best young corner out there who was only going to get better.  Then it was Ras-I Dowling who was surely a Hall of Famer if you judged by his two NFL starts. Then Sterling Moore was the flavor of the month because he knocked a ball out (nevermind the reason he had to knock the ball out was because he was beaten in coverage).  Now it's Dennard.

There's a reason why Belichick continues to start McCourty and Arrington.  Are they perfect? No.  Are they the best we have?  As of now, definitely.  Maybe Dennard will prove to be a great corner, but I've seen far too many of these flashes in the pan to start thinking we've uncovered gold. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Its difficult to watch at times but the goal is to win. BB doesn't care the least about stats or yards, just the final score. It looks like BB is always most concerned with giving up the big play and thinks his defense will force turnovers or hold opponents to FG's.  I think he has better players now but still needs a better corner and safety to be more aggressive . I could be completely wrong on all of this but that's how I see it.

TFB12 is definitely not a troll either. He brings a lot to this forum with his comments and pictures.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If you execute the "bend don't break" in conjunction with a "smashmouth" offense, the idea is that you control the ball, control the clock, keep plays in front of you and inbounds so the clock keeps moving.  If timed right, your offense should have the ball last at the end of the game, but has to execute under duress if they haven't built a sizable lead.

You'll notice BB usually differs and puts the defense on the field first when he wins the toss, that way he can gameplan the 2nd half to either a lead or a deficit.  Our defense usually starts strong, gets the opposing team off the field fast and then after we score we play a conservative soft zone defense.  If the game is still in question he'll place more emphasis on defense but otherwise plays a soft zone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Lets see the offense doesn't score and the defense holds the opponent to under their game points average and it's the defense's fault.

The offense turns the ball over inside their own 25 and the opponent scores a TD off of the turnover and it's the defense's fault.

It's always the defense's fault. We could lose game 3 to 0 and it would be the defense's fault.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lets see the offense doesn't score and the defense holds the opponent to under their game points average and it's the defense's fault.

The offense turns the ball over inside their own 25 and the opponent scores a TD off of the turnover and it's the defense's fault.

It's always the defense's fault. We could lose game 3 to 0 and it would be the defense's fault.

[/QUOTE]

yep, i thought the defense outperformed the offense in the playoffs...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The reasoning is BB doesn't want to give up a quick score and let other teams get back into the game. He's deathly scared of the big play (which is ironic because the Pats give up more 20+ yard plays in the 2nd half then any other team in the league right now). IMO his logic is death by a thousand papercuts. If it takes them 8+mins to score by keeping everything infront of you they will eventually bleed out their time. However, the last couple years have shown that the Pats tend to go in with a commanding lead but give up more points then they did in the previous half using this strategy. BB himself admits he can be stubborn on some philsophy's so don't expect it to change, but I think the fear is coming from him not trusting in his younger D. We saw when he had vet D's in the early 00's he remained aggressive until the end of the game. I have a feeling once he gains more confidence in the D we'll see less and less of the prevent and more of the aggressive D that seems to work fairly well in the early portions of the game

[/QUOTE]

isn't that basically what he does when the defense goes to cover 2? leave the middle wide open, receivers get YAC, next thing you know, opponents have scored 3 TDs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to patsfan76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dont think anyone really likes it but sometimes its the best thing. I will admit I hate the lack of agressiveness during the game from our defense but when you go up by 3 scores, you are supposed to dial it back a bit and just make them work for everything underneath and tackle and hope they dont have enough time. So I mean what are you gonna do? Go blitz happy when your up?

I tend to put Manning in a diff. category though so I wouldnt use last game as a measure of they do all the time. Manning is always the same story. We stymie him early with mixed coverages and disquises and with the lead, B.B goes back to a more base D that manning can cut thru like knife to butter and the comeback is on. I mean name one game after 04 that hasnt gone that way after we were up. Its been the same since 2006.

I actually dont have a problem and I believe last weeks failure was more to do with out offense staying in hurry which got the ball back to Peyton quicker. After u go up 3 scores, u scrap the no huddle and run the ball and use clock which they didnt do but Manning DOES this. Remember vs T.B. he scored 21 in like 3 minutes!  Next time run your 4 minute offense in the 4th and next time No Manning so no worries for me really. It is what it is

[/QUOTE]

why not have a killer's instinct....on both sides of the ball, even when we're up by 3 TDs. Especially since we seem to be able to run and throw...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Based on how bad our secondary covers on long passes..we may as well gamble n be more aggressive...at least if you go after the QB more often...opposing QBs might not remain as comfortable in the pocket as they currently are. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is no such defense called Bend don't Break.  It's a term invented by the media to explain chitty DB giving up huge chunks of yards.  What needs to change is DMC, Arrington, Moore and Chung.

[/QUOTE]

lmao....straight to the point

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to BubbaInHawaii's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

lmao....straight to the point

[/QUOTE]

We need to add to those players, not omit them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

2007 Super Bowl

2:42 Left in the game, Brady led the Pats to a TD to take the lead.

That, to me, says the offense was clutch in the 4th quarter.

The Giants took the ball and proceeded to drive for the winning TD.

To me that says the defense was not clutch.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dennard is the next fan favorite to save the secondary.  A few years ago, it was Darius Butler--the best young corner out there who was only going to get better.  Then it was Ras-I Dowling who was surely a Hall of Famer if you judged by his two NFL starts. Then Sterling Moore was the flavor of the month because he knocked a ball out (nevermind the reason he had to knock the ball out was because he was beaten in coverage).  Now it's Dennard.

There's a reason why Belichick continues to start McCourty and Arrington.  Are they perfect? No.  Are they the best we have?  As of now, definitely.  Maybe Dennard will prove to be a great corner, but I've seen far too many of these flashes in the pan to start thinking we've uncovered gold. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you are saying, however I will say that to me Dennard looks like a good corner based off that game and some youtube video stuff I've seen. I know that sounds ridicolous, but for a smaller guy he battles on every snap and seams to be able to turn and run with receivers...which is a lot more than you can say for half the guys running around our secondary. Time will tell.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

2011 Super Bowl

4 minutes left in the game, Pats with the lead.

Giants take the ball on their own 12 yard line and march 88 yards down the field for the winning TD.

Defense again fails to make critical stop in the 4th quarter.

I'm not saying.... just saying that the defense has to step up and win a game for us late in the 4th quarter for a change.....like they used to....cause that's how you win championships.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

So I conclude that this defense bends for 3 quarters then breaks at the worst time.....the fegging 4th quarter.

We need to change that if we want to change the name of BB's boat.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2007 Super Bowl

2:42 Left in the game, Brady led the Pats to a TD to take the lead.

That, to me, says the offense was clutch in the 4th quarter.

The Giants took the ball and proceeded to drive for the winning TD.

To me that says the defense was not clutch.

[/QUOTE]

+ 100

[/QUOTE]

scoring 14 and 17 points in two super bowls is not enough, espescially if you are considered one of the greatest QB's to play the game.....