BB Calls Out His O-Line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryBallz. Show HarryBallz's posts

BB Calls Out His O-Line

On Rotoworld:
    www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif" alt="" width="10" height="1" />

Patriots coach Bill Belichick offered a defense of Laurence Maroney when asked if he gets frustrated by the talented but inconsistent back.

"I really don't have a lot of problems with Laurence," said Belichick. "What I'd like to see is for us to open bigger holes to create some space for these guys."

I will admit that I find Maroney's dancing to be annoying but when your finesse C the RG are constantly being stood up or pushed back then yeah, a RB is going to have to move side to side looking for a lane.  In last weekend's game I know there were a few plays where Maroney didn't quit on his run and did pick up some tough yards.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Re: BB Calls Out His O-Line

In Response to BB Calls Out His O-Line:
    [QUOTE]On Rotoworld: www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif " alt="" width="10" height="1" /> Patriots coach Bill Belichick offered a defense of Laurence Maroney when asked if he gets frustrated by the talented but inconsistent back. "I really don't have a lot of problems with Laurence," said Belichick. "What I'd like to see is for us to open bigger holes to create some space for these guys." I will admit that I find Maroney's dancing to be annoying but when your finesse C the RG are constantly being stood up or pushed back then yeah, a RB is going to have to move side to side looking for a lane.  In last weekend's game I know there were a few plays where Maroney didn't quit on his run and did pick up some tough yards.
    Posted by HarryBallz[/QUOTE]

Your link didn't work, but I see your point and I've been stressing this on these boards for a few weeks.  Good blocking and good play calling certainly play a big role in a running back's success.  

For a while, Maroney was only running one play (stretch play with zone blocking scheme from 11 personnel), and he was getting killed because defenses knew what was coming and because the line isn't good enough to win battles at the line of scrimmage anyway.

Now that they have him running from all formations and running all kinds of plays (counters, reverse-fakes, faking on reverses, play-action), he's seeing daylight and averaging a respectable 4yds/carry the last couple games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The same line blocked for Corey & Fred and they did a good job.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: BB Calls Out His O-Line:
    [QUOTE]The same line blocked for Corey & Fred and they did a good job.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Uh, not really.....in this last game I saw a lot of Vollmer and LeVoir....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I think it is difficult to evaluate our offensive line play from the traditional side view that we get by watching the games. I would have to see the view from behind the line before I could accurately critique the O-line or the running backs. 
    Of course, if we were running the ball well, there would be no critique at all. But obviously something is not working well now. I just don't think we can neccesarily lay blame on the backs without seeing a "Maroney's point of view".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

They're the ninth rated rushing offense right now. I'm a little skeptical they'll get any better with the remaining schedule but it will be great if they don't get any worse. They're at 4.1 yards a carry  which is respectable for now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

we may not have 1 dominant running back, but we have a commitee thats averages 115yds a game and we are tied with minnesota for attempts per game. 

If they can keep that average up then it gives the offense a good chance to continue thier pass attack.

Just trying to keep it positive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I think BB knows the problem when you see it.it is the lack of running lanes.but if insurance is needed.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1315

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't think it is a secret that the Pats can run on the left, and not on the right. That makes it easier to game plan. Also, they spend so much time in spread formation, that it makes it easy to figure out that they are running when they go to some variant of two back formation.

A new RB might improve running a little, but the bottom line is that this team passes to set up the run for a reason: they don't win the tough battles.

Ironically, they are a great short yardage situation, but I think that is different than firing down field and opening lanes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

No No No this Belichick guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Its Maroney. Take him out to pasture and put a bullet in him. Right Maroney haters? He is terrible, ignore his 4.2 yrd career average and the fact he exceeds when given the ball over 12 times a game. Its gotta be his fault. Its gotta be!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

TrueChamp...  love that sarcasm!!

I, too, echo some of the sentiments here... Maroney gets a bum rap because when he does get that hole in the line, he runs great.  We see him dance when he gets to the line and there is nothing much to run through.  Of course, what we see is when Morris, Law-firm, Taylor run, they GET a gap and run downfield while all we see is Maroney tap dancing.  So, what is our memory?  Maroney dancing and the others running.  Look at what he did in the playoffs of 2007.  Did anyone complain then??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]No No No this Belichick guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Its Maroney. Take him out to pasture and put a bullet in him. Right Maroney haters? He is terrible, ignore his 4.2 yrd career average and the fact he exceeds when given the ball over 12 times a game. Its gotta be his fault. Its gotta be!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

LOL... 

I think Bill thought his line needed a shake up, he says things in the public forum more for his team's benefit than for ours I'd think... he usually says something about the line needing to improve this time of the season as the weather gets cold and the time to run the ball is upon us.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I doubt the 2010 O-line looks much like the line they have now. Vollmer is definately the future at LT and Neal has been less then impressive this year at RG... then you have the questions surrounding LG Mankins contract... And, as for Koppen he is a steady solid Center. Koppen and Brady have the longest active streak of error free exchanges in the NFL and rank something like 5th best all time if I am recalling the stats correctly which I think I am. Koppen is very comfortable and proficient at the shot gun snap... more important and hard to find then you might expect. 
    So if they keep Mankins and move Vollmer in to the starting LT role and you except Koppen is the Center then you are looking to upgrade your Right side. Only question is are those upgrades already on team or do you draft one? I say unless your sure you have to draft a RG/RT early as you can to help insure you get someone that upgrades the position. I also wonder if Light could be a RT if you move him over there can he make the change?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

OK, line blah blah blah.  Moroney comes in and dances, get. 1 yard.  Sammy frickin Morris comes in, same play, 4 yards.  Kevin Faulk comes in, 10 yards.  thats an exaggeration, but not much.  It's not that WE cant run at all, its that MORONEY cant, or wont.  Bill B says what he says, and i believe him, but my eyes tell me otherwise.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

As Belichick always says. "There is always plenty of blame to go around". I'm willing to wager that this running game can get better by the end of the year. I've seen Maroney look good in plenty of games so I wouldn't blame him completely. When your running backs are getting hit in the backfield that doesn't say a whole lot for your line and that is a regular occurence no matter who is running the ball. Yeah, I'd rather have a hard nose back like Marion Barber but that isn't happening so this line better get it's act together a little bit. I don't think they've been the best at pass blocking either this year.We don't have tons of sacks but It's a good thing Brady moves around in the pocket well and knows when to get rid of the ball.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

In Response to BB Calls Out His O-Line:
    [QUOTE]On Rotoworld: www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif " alt="" width="10" height="1" /> Patriots coach Bill Belichick offered a defense of Laurence Maroney when asked if he gets frustrated by the talented but inconsistent back. "I really don't have a lot of problems with Laurence," said Belichick. "What I'd like to see is for us to open bigger holes to create some space for these guys." I will admit that I find Maroney's dancing to be annoying but when your finesse C the RG are constantly being stood up or pushed back then yeah, a RB is going to have to move side to side looking for a lane.  In last weekend's game I know there were a few plays where Maroney didn't quit on his run and did pick up some tough yards.
    Posted by HarryBallz[/QUOTE]

"In Bill we trust." But not when it comes to Maroney. That line of thinking is what a number of Laurence's critics have used and most likely will continue to. Even after Bill made it known he's not 'thrilled' with the OL play. I've also criticized Maroney, but I believe he has the skill set to be a good RB in this league. But as you've mentioned, when your Center and RG are more finesse than brutes at their positions' - you're not going to get much push on the line. If Bill were absolutely thrilled with his OL line play, he wouldn't have drafted Bas Vollmer in the first place.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

2003 - Antowain Smith .... 3.5 ypc.... 1 SB Championship.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Maroney has been running north / south last 2 weeks, thats all we can ask for, i dont care if his avg per carry was only 3.3 last week, he ran the right way, i did not see much dancing. Keep it going LM.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]No No No this Belichick guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Its Maroney. Take him out to pasture and put a bullet in him. Right Maroney haters? He is terrible, ignore his 4.2 yrd career average and the fact he exceeds when given the ball over 12 times a game. Its gotta be his fault. Its gotta be!

LOL.....It sure helps that he has had a lot of games in his career where he mixes up a 20 yard scamper (when the games have been pretty much over) with carries averaging less that 2 yards. Helps that ol' YPC look more meaningful than what it really is.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

[QUOTE]The same line blocked for Corey & Fred and they did a good job.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

maroney ran well behind them in 06 and 07.  how the oline played then doesnt matter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BB Calls Out His O-Line : LOL.....It sure helps that he has had a lot of games in his career where he mixes up a 20 yard scamper (when the games have been pretty much over) with carries averaging less that 2 yards. Helps that ol' YPC look more meaningful than what it really is.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

Show me the games where Maroney ran for "20 yard scampers" in garbage time. Maroney was half or more of our running game in 06 and 07. For those of you who are keeping track those years were AFC championship and Superbowl appearances. Only an idiot would suggest that Maroney has not made solid contributions to our football team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BB Calls Out His O-Line : Show me the games where Maroney ran for "20 yard scampers" in garbage time. Maroney was half or more of our running game in 06 and 07. For those of you who are keeping track those years were AFC championship and Superbowl appearances. Only an idiot would suggest that Maroney has not made solid contributions to our football team.

A 4+ career yards per carry average for a starting running back can't be faked or coerced, anything above 4 is excellent and anything approaching 5 is hall of fame material given enough carries... 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BB Calls Out His O-Line : Show me the games where Maroney ran for "20 yard scampers" in garbage time. Maroney was half or more of our running game in 06 and 07. For those of you who are keeping track those years were AFC championship and Superbowl appearances. Only an idiot would suggest that Maroney has not made solid contributions to our football team.

Lets look at his "solid" contributions this year. The Maroney we all know and love mixes his texas two-step with a long carry and it makes his production look better on paper than what it really is. Below is a game by game break down for 2009. I subtracted his longest carry each game (in parenthese) to see what his real average was. Obviously 1 carry is deducted to account for his longest run. Lets see how he performs the majority of his carries. TrueChamp is correct, Maroney is an outstanding contributer.

Game 1: 9 for 21 = 2.33 (Long of 11)
    Game 2: 5 for 11 = 2.2 (12)
    Game 3: 3 for 12 = 4.00 (5)
    Game 4: 6 for 1 = .16 (5)
    Game 5: 4 for 11 = 2.75 (10)
    Game 6: 15 for 78 = 5.2 (45)
    Game 7: 12 for 30 = 2.72 (13)

Wow, this production is "solid". That is an exceptional 2.76 YPC for the season. With the exception of the Titans game, who put up one he ll of a defense I might add, Maroney the Amazing has managed 1 other 4.0 YPC game. ALL of the rest were well under 3, even the TB game. I suppose if we go for it every fourth down, he'll get us a first down every four plays.

Explain this? Cause apparently I'm an idiot to think that Maroney the Amazing has many outstanding games. If you'd like, I'll break down his prior seasons to see how Amazing his contribution really is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BB Calls Out His O-Line : Lets look at his "solid" contributions this year. The Maroney we all know and love mixes his texas two-step with a long carry and it makes his production look better on paper than what it really is. Below is a game by game break down for 2009. I subtracted his longest carry each game (in parenthese) to see what his real average was. Obviously 1 carry is deducted to account for his longest run. Lets see how he performs the majority of his carries. TrueChamp is correct, Maroney is an outstanding contributer. Game 1: 9 for 21 = 2.33 (Long of 11) Game 2: 5 for 11 = 2.2 (12) Game 3: 3 for 12 = 4.00 (5) Game 4: 6 for 1 = .16 (5) Game 5: 4 for 11 = 2.75 (10) Game 6: 15 for 78 = 5.2 (45) Game 7: 12 for 30 = 2.72 (13) Wow, this production is "solid". That is an exceptional 2.76 YPC for the season. With the exception of the Titans game, who put up one he ll of a defense I might add, Maroney the Amazing has managed 1 other 4.0 YPC game. ALL of the rest were well under 3, even the TB game. I suppose if we go for it every fourth down, he'll get us a first down every four plays. Explain this? Cause apparently I'm an idiot to think that Maroney the Amazing has many outstanding games. If you'd like, I'll break down his prior seasons to see how Amazing his contribution really is.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

Take the long runs out of every home run hitting running back in the league and all of their averages would look terrible... all this post proves is that stats can be twisted to say anything and your not particularly good at it.