BB Does Right For His Players

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

BB Does Right For His Players

Amid all the mindless BB bashing, players still stand up for him. This includes ex-players:

1.) Deion Branch: Deion wanted #1 WR money, which the Patriots weren't about to pay. Instead, they made the best out of an ugly situation...trading Branch to a then contending team (Seattle Seahawks), in exchange for a #1 draft choice. The result? A win/win for both the Pats and Branch. Deion got his money...the Pats got fair compensation. Were there any lingering hard feelings? No. In fact, Branch went out of his way to sing the praises of his former coach and team. It was Branch who strongly recommended to then free agent WR, Donte' Stallworth, to sign with the Patriots.

2.) Asante Samuel: BB defused a potentially ugly holdout in 2007 by promising the franchised Samuel that he would not franchise him again in 2008. The result? A win/win. Samuel had a great season in 2008, as the Patriots nearly pulled off a perfect season. Samuel was allowed to leave for greener pastures with the team of his choice, the Philadelphia Eagles. Samuel still speaks highly of his former team and coach.

3.) Mike Vrabel: The 34 year old OLB's play slipped dramatically last year. Rather than overpay Mike at $4.5mil., BB choose instead to get Scott Pioli to include Vrabel as part of the Matt Cassel trade. This moved ensured Mikes' $4.5mil. salary in 2009. Had BB released Vrabel, odds are he would have signed on with a competitor, Miami or the hated Jets...for less money.      

4.) Ellis Hobbs: The Patriots secondary had a miserable season...and Hobbs was one of the culprits. So...after drafting two new DBs (Patrick Chung and Darius Butler), BB deemed Hobbs to be expendable...and traded him to the Philadelphia Eagles in a draft day trade, which netted him OG Rich Ohrnberger. The result? Another win/win. Hobbs likely would have suffered reduced playing time due to keen CB competition. Such a fate wouldd have impaired his value as a free agent next season. Instead, he gets to play for a contending Eagles team, where he might start opposite his old teamate, Samuel. Meanwhile, the Pats picked up some sorely needed OL depth...and saved some cap space.

Since the trade, several pundits have interviewed Hobbs, surely in hopes of securing some strong negative comments against BB. But, these pundits have been astonishingly (to them) disappointed: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/01/ellis-hobbs-defends-belichick/.

A fan comment to the above listed article sums things up best:

"The players all seem to respect Belichick... sure they can't push him around and demand extensions or trades like the Jets used to do with Mangini, but they know they'll be treated fairly... i.e. Asante Samuel's agreement with the team not to be franchised. 

It may be that in hindsight, Hobbs knows that he'd be looking at reduced playing time in New England this year. That wouldn't be all that great for his career - and he sees that in making the trade Belichick created a win win for both interests.

Vrabel may not have wanted to leave, or take a drastic pay cut - yet the Pats weren't about to pay him $4.5 million this season. But rather than cut him outright, which would have resulted in 1/4th the money for Vrabel this season (and allowing a rival to bring Vrabel on the team) Belichick sends him to the one team that can afford to take on Vrabel's full salary.

Both players likely wanted to remain with the Patriots - but when that wasn't an option they know Belichick did right by them."

Thoughts?    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: BB Does Right For His Players

These are things that seem patently obvious to us, as Pats fans, but to the unenlightened (this being "everybody else"), Belichick is an easy target. Pointing out that the primary architect of the the most successful NFL franchise in this new century conducts business with an eye toward both the present and the future is like arguing that ice cream tastes good. But sports is one of those arenas in life where emotion can often overrule logic, and so people point at Bill and say "cheater," and, for them, that is the end of the discussion. And that's okay. Elswhere on this board, there is a ridiculously convoluted thread that began, several hundred years ago, as an idictment of Tony Dungy as a potential racist. Now, I am no fan of Tony Dungy -- so if you say, "Tony Dungy is the quintessential deuschenozzle," I say, "you are correct." But I don't base my opinion of Tony Dungy on anything other than the fact that he used to coach the Pats' biggest rival. So, if you are, for instance, underdogg, and you come in here with a post like the one Tex posts above, only about Dungy, I will say, "I don't care, he's a deusche." But that is simply being a football fan. I wouldn't say, "Dungy can't coach," or "Dungy is a bad guy," I don't know (or care to know) anything about him, other than the image he portrays in sound bites which, for all I know, could be false (the same way Belichick's impression of a dour, humorless automaton is false).

In short, I guess my point is that a lot of fans will form an opinion and then pick and choose evidence that supports that opinion -- heaven knows, I do this all the time. Tex could probably research pages and pages of strictly factual data that would support the idea that no coach in the modern era comes close to acheiving what Belichick has, and there would still be some rube on KFAN.com saying, "That guy s*cks."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

these guys were brought in by drafting them,or by saving them from a terrible team.they were surrounded by great leaders,and players.so they didnt get in trouble like we read about others.those who seemed to be average players at best on other teams.were tapped into great players here.and if anything they all can look at there one up to three superbowl rings they got playing for BB,and the pats organization.i cant see how a player can blame BB for anything,but to give him respect.if players dont know by now that playing for the pats means less money,or that they may not be around for a long time,but are promised a shot at a championship.then they need to wake up.this philosiphy has been around since BB became coach.its the classy players thats been traded,or have walked away for more money that still give the respect for the coach,players,and organization.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Belichick makes it all about football, and makes it easy for his players to focus on nothign but teh game in front of them. This is why they respect him so much, he takes a beating in the media for teh way he is but the way he is allows them to do their job and win football games which in turns helps their careers. He is the best coach in the NFL today and from where I sit he is the best coach in the history of the game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

In Response to Re: BB Does Right For His Players:
    [QUOTE]These are things that seem patently obvious to us, as Pats fans, but to the unenlightened (this being "everybody else"), Belichick is an easy target. Pointing out that the primary architect of the the most successful NFL franchise in this new century conducts business with an eye toward both the present and the future is like arguing that ice cream tastes good. But sports is one of those arenas in life where emotion can often overrule logic, and so people point at Bill and say "cheater," and, for them, that is the end of the discussion. And that's okay. Elswhere on this board, there is a ridiculously convoluted thread that began, several hundred years ago, as an idictment of Tony Dungy as a potential racist. Now, I am no fan of Tony Dungy -- so if you say, "Tony Dungy is the quintessential deuschenozzle," I say, "you are correct." But I don't base my opinion of Tony Dungy on anything other than the fact that he used to coach the Pats' biggest rival. So, if you are, for instance, underdogg, and you come in here with a post like the one Tex posts above, only about Dungy, I will say, "I don't care, he's a deusche." But that is simply being a football fan. I wouldn't say, "Dungy can't coach," or "Dungy is a bad guy," I don't know (or care to know) anything about him, other than the image he portrays in sound bites which, for all I know, could be false (the same way Belichick's impression of a dour, humorless automaton is false). In short, I guess my point is that a lot of fans will form an opinion and then pick and choose evidence that supports that opinion -- heaven knows, I do this all the time. Tex could probably research pages and pages of strictly factual data that would support the idea that no coach in the modern era comes close to acheiving what Belichick has, and there would still be some rube on KFAN.com saying, "That guy s*cks."
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

So true. It's the media who does most of the "Belichick bashing", and that is simply pandering to their prospective audience. They basically tell the "haters" what they want to hear. Not only do his ex-players respect him, but so do other coaches. The ex-player analysts sing his praise (most of them) on NFLN. Even Marshall Faulk, who is so obviously still bitter about SB 36 has mostly praise for BB. These ex-players know well the business side of football (they're the ones angling for the big paydays), and undoubtedly BB is the best in that department. So while sports reporters (especially on ESPN) try to paint him as vengeful, those involved in these deals know it to be false. You also make a good point about the Dungy thread. My "dislike" for the guy also is totally based on the fact that he coached a bitter rival...and has had great success. To say he would turn his back on someone due to their skin color or sexual orientation is unfounded, IMO. They had a spot about him meeting with kids in a detention facility in Tampa on NFLN a week or so ago. I think it's admirable that he is trying to make a difference in his community. We all know he could have made a lot more money staying in coaching, and probably gone to any other team and been in high demand. There have been a lot of boneheads coaching in the NFL, but both Belichick and Dungy are not only two of the best, but also both "classy" guys (regardless of what "Lotta Tears" may think). So those who keep on bashing BB are merely jealous of his success. But we here knew that to be true for a long time now!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Mike, Bub and All:

This is an article about how its' time for "the haters" to shut up about spygate. A good article...but talk  about being a day late and a dollar short...this is more like 18 months late and $749,999.00 short: http://www.examiner.com/x-1324-New-England-Patriots-Examiner~y2009m7d2-Memo-to-New-England-Patriots-haters-Its-time-to-drop-the-whole-Spygate-thing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]...Elswhere on this board, there is a ridiculously convoluted thread that began, several hundred years ago, as an idictment of Tony Dungy as a potential racist..."
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Amen. I skimmed through the Dungy thread, hoping to find some comical comments. But, I learned that it had morphed into polical discussions on abortion, religion and such!! To each their own...but I come here to talk football...or carry on discussions about football related issues, and football related people.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It's MVPkilla's fault.

He's an agitator.Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

More crying any whining from a St. Louis Rams' pundit who, 7 years later, still claims that the Patriots cheated: http://www.examiner.com/x-4388-St-Louis-Rams-Examiner~y2009m6d25-Seven-years-later-and-it-still-stings

LOL!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

[QUOTE]     More crying any whining from a St. Louis Rams' pundit who, 7 years later, still claims that the Patriots cheated: http://www.examiner.com/x-4388-St-Louis-Rams-Examiner~y2009m6d25-Seven-years-later-and-it-still-stings      LOL!!
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

thats funny he call the Pats cheaters among other things throughout the article then at the end he says the Pats deserved to win the game

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

"It's MVPkilla's fault.

He's an agitator."

Hey its not my fault there are only like 2 or 3 threads on football that are going and they all die off rather quickly. The other thread was just for the he ll of it and then it turned into a whole other thing. Someoneelse brought the whole gay thing up and that morphed into what it is now. But when you look on this forum all day at work the way I do and no one is posting and thread are just sitting there it is kind of nice having at least one thread that keeps on going. I agree I would much rather debate football but since the football threads dont last its nice having something to do at work....other then what i am paid to do that is lol I hate Dungy for a lot of reasons but mainly you are right its mostly the fact that he coached the Colts. That and teh media makes him out to be gods gift to the NFL.