BB the best coach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

BB the best coach

Matthew Emmons/USA TODAY Sports
    Bill Belichick (left) has three Super Bowl rings, but he's lost his last two games on the big stage to Tom Coughlin.

The Mike Rice video made me sick. There's no place in athletics for that kind of abuse.

But I've had my fill of despicable coaching practices for this week. Let's shift focus to exemplary leaders of men, ranking the top coaches in the NFL, Schein Nine style. A nice, feel-good piece that will bring a smile to your face -- unless your coach didn't make the list or you passionately disagree with my order. I'm fascinated to get your take. Hit me on Twitter @AdamSchein.

Vote for the greatest play in NFL history: 
    NFL.com has picked the 64 best plays ever, and over the next three weeks we are asking fans to cast their votes for the best. Vote now!

Without further ado, my list of the nine best coaches in the NFL today:

1) Bill BelichickNew England Patriots

Sure, he made a big gaffe managing the game at the end of the first half on Championship Sunday. But don't get it twisted: Bill Belichick is the single best coach in sports today. I'd stack his résumé up against anyone else in pro sports in the last 25 years -- Phil Jackson, Joe Torre, Scotty Bowman, whoever -- factoring in his brilliance in New England and how he ran the Giants' defense under Bill Parcells. Belichick is 151-57 over 13 regular seasons in New England, going 17-7 in the playoffs while winning three Super Bowls and making five. And please, save the "What has he done since Spygate?" nonsense. Because the answer is double-digit wins every year.

2) Tom CoughlinNew York Giants

Like Belichick, he's a future Hall of Famer. Coughlin has two rings and gets his Giants to overachieve. He's a fantastic motivator and in-game coach.

3) Mike McCarthyGreen Bay Packers

It drives me nuts when I get calls on our SiriusXM radio show or tweets from haters who complain about McCarthy's play selection and lack of a run game. Last time I checked, he has Aaron Rodgers. And McCarthy's finger prints are all over Rodgers' development into becoming the best quarterback in the NFL -- from McCarthy's offseason quarterback school to his practices to the in-game play calling where Rodgers and McCarthy seemingly share a brain. McCarthy is a robust 74-38 as Packers head coach. He's done a great job assembling strong assistants, too. The Packers are always under the microscope and McCarthy handles the noise (think: Brett Favre) with aplomb.

4) Jim HarbaughSan Francisco 49ers

I know he's only coached in the NFL for two seasons. But I also know how fantastic Harbaugh is, dating back to his days as a college head coach. In just two years on the job, Harbaugh has totally eradicated the Mike Singletary stench he inherited. Before Harbaugh arrived, the Niners were fodder for late-night talk shows, thanks to Singletary's ranting and raving. With Harbaugh, they're a featured attraction on primetime NFL games. Harbaugh is 24-7-1. He was a fumble away from the Super Bowl in his first year. He was yards away from winning the Super Bowl in his second year. He isn't afraid to make the tough decision, like changing quarterbacks midway through a season.

5) John HarbaughBaltimore Ravens

I know how this looks. Yes, John just beat Jim in Super Bowl XLVI. But Jim gets the nod with regular-season winning percentage and his immediate turnaround in San Francisco. Understand, I think John has been nothing short of brilliant steadying the ship in Baltimore -- putting his own stamp on the Ravens while managing Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. Let's not minimize that. Harbaugh is 54-26 in Baltimore. And he led the Ravens to a Super Bowltriumph -- keeping them focused through adversity, injury, Lewis' retirement announcement, the replacement of an offensive coordinator and other distractions -- despite the fact that at no point during the regular season did they resemble the best team in the NFL. Truly a tremendous accomplishment.

6) Mike TomlinPittsburgh Steelers

Tomlin gets teams to out-kick their talent. With the exception of last season, Tomlin teams are mentally tough and play their best when it matters the most. He has the ring and the winning percentage to back it up.

7) Sean PaytonNew Orleans Saints

He's back! If you ever doubted the greatness and importance of Payton, you saw it last year when New Orleans fell apart sans his leadership. Payton is aggressive and passionate -- qualities that are apparent in the way he coaches. He calls plays with that attitude and goes for it on fourth down. He conducts practices in that style. Thus, the Saints play with an edge and play for him.

8) Mike ShanahanWashington Redskins

Even though I think he should've pulledRobert Griffin III at 14-0 in the first round of the playoffs to protect the franchise QB from further injury, Shanahan did a great job with Washington last year after struggling mightily in his first few seasons on the job. I still think he's an exceptional leader and I don't forget the championships he won in Denver.

9) Andy ReidKansas City Chiefs

The last two years in Philly were an abject failure, but let's not pretend the years prior didn't exist. He won seven division titles in the NFC East. The Eagles were a regular participant on Championship Sunday. Andy Reid changed and rescued Eagles football. The Chiefs have an elite head coach.

Toughest omissions: Jeff FisherSt. Louis RamsMike SmithAtlanta FalconsJohn FoxDenver BroncosPete CarrollSeattle Seahawks.

Follow Adam Schein on Twitter @AdamSchein.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: BB the best coach

I really think it's Bill and everybody else...the guy is in a league of his own. I think Shanahan is pretty good too. Coughlin has been pretty good over the years as well.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

That line about "game management gaffe" in the AFC title game is a joke. BB is supposed to help Brady ran his own 2 minute offense now, too?

Unreal.

Brady should have thrown it away.  That's ridiculous.  Also, Hernandez should have gotten out of bounds a play or two before that one, too. At some point, the players have to be held accountable and not every single thing that goes wrong is on the coach.

This is kind of what I mean about the media.  They can't just say anything positive, it has to be some kind of a backhanded compliment, if there even is one.

Unbelievable.

the guy calls Bellichick the best coach in all sports currently and THIS is what you come up with?

you really need professional help

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Matthew Emmons/USA TODAY Sports Bill Belichick (left) has three Super Bowl rings, but he's lost his last two games on the big stage to Tom Coughlin.

The Mike Rice video made me sick. There's no place in athletics for that kind of abuse.

But I've had my fill of despicable coaching practices for this week. Let's shift focus to exemplary leaders of men, ranking the top coaches in the NFL, Schein Nine style. A nice, feel-good piece that will bring a smile to your face -- unless your coach didn't make the list or you passionately disagree with my order. I'm fascinated to get your take. Hit me on Twitter @AdamSchein.

NFL Bracketology

Vote for the greatest play in NFL history: 
    NFL.com has picked the 64 best plays ever, and over the next three weeks we are asking fans to cast their votes for the best. Vote now!

Without further ado, my list of the nine best coaches in the NFL today:

1) Bill BelichickNew England Patriots

Sure, he made a big gaffe managing the game at the end of the first half on Championship Sunday. But don't get it twisted: Bill Belichick is the single best coach in sports today. I'd stack his résumé up against anyone else in pro sports in the last 25 years -- Phil Jackson, Joe Torre, Scotty Bowman, whoever -- factoring in his brilliance in New England and how he ran the Giants' defense under Bill Parcells. Belichick is 151-57 over 13 regular seasons in New England, going 17-7 in the playoffs while winning three Super Bowls and making five. And please, save the "What has he done since Spygate?" nonsense. Because the answer is double-digit wins every year.

2) Tom CoughlinNew York Giants

Like Belichick, he's a future Hall of Famer. Coughlin has two rings and gets his Giants to overachieve. He's a fantastic motivator and in-game coach.

3) Mike McCarthyGreen Bay Packers

It drives me nuts when I get calls on our SiriusXM radio show or tweets from haters who complain about McCarthy's play selection and lack of a run game. Last time I checked, he has Aaron Rodgers. And McCarthy's finger prints are all over Rodgers' development into becoming the best quarterback in the NFL -- from McCarthy's offseason quarterback school to his practices to the in-game play calling where Rodgers and McCarthy seemingly share a brain. McCarthy is a robust 74-38 as Packers head coach. He's done a great job assembling strong assistants, too. The Packers are always under the microscope and McCarthy handles the noise (think: Brett Favre) with aplomb.

4) Jim HarbaughSan Francisco 49ers

I know he's only coached in the NFL for two seasons. But I also know how fantastic Harbaugh is, dating back to his days as a college head coach. In just two years on the job, Harbaugh has totally eradicated the Mike Singletary stench he inherited. Before Harbaugh arrived, the Niners were fodder for late-night talk shows, thanks to Singletary's ranting and raving. With Harbaugh, they're a featured attraction on primetime NFL games. Harbaugh is 24-7-1. He was a fumble away from the Super Bowl in his first year. He was yards away from winning the Super Bowl in his second year. He isn't afraid to make the tough decision, like changing quarterbacks midway through a season.

5) John HarbaughBaltimore Ravens

I know how this looks. Yes, John just beat Jim in Super Bowl XLVI. But Jim gets the nod with regular-season winning percentage and his immediate turnaround in San Francisco. Understand, I think John has been nothing short of brilliant steadying the ship in Baltimore -- putting his own stamp on the Ravens while managing Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. Let's not minimize that. Harbaugh is 54-26 in Baltimore. And he led the Ravens to a Super Bowltriumph -- keeping them focused through adversity, injury, Lewis' retirement announcement, the replacement of an offensive coordinator and other distractions -- despite the fact that at no point during the regular season did they resemble the best team in the NFL. Truly a tremendous accomplishment.

6) Mike TomlinPittsburgh Steelers

Tomlin gets teams to out-kick their talent. With the exception of last season, Tomlin teams are mentally tough and play their best when it matters the most. He has the ring and the winning percentage to back it up.

7) Sean PaytonNew Orleans Saints

He's back! If you ever doubted the greatness and importance of Payton, you saw it last year when New Orleans fell apart sans his leadership. Payton is aggressive and passionate -- qualities that are apparent in the way he coaches. He calls plays with that attitude and goes for it on fourth down. He conducts practices in that style. Thus, the Saints play with an edge and play for him.

8) Mike ShanahanWashington Redskins

Even though I think he should've pulledRobert Griffin III at 14-0 in the first round of the playoffs to protect the franchise QB from further injury, Shanahan did a great job with Washington last year after struggling mightily in his first few seasons on the job. I still think he's an exceptional leader and I don't forget the championships he won in Denver.

9) Andy ReidKansas City Chiefs

The last two years in Philly were an abject failure, but let's not pretend the years prior didn't exist. He won seven division titles in the NFC East. The Eagles were a regular participant on Championship Sunday. Andy Reid changed and rescued Eagles football. The Chiefs have an elite head coach.

Toughest omissions: Jeff FisherSt. Louis RamsMike SmithAtlanta FalconsJohn FoxDenver BroncosPete CarrollSeattle Seahawks.

Follow Adam Schein on Twitter @AdamSchein.

good list can't quibble too much

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I really think it's Bill and everybody else...the guy is in a league of his own. I think Shanahan is pretty good too. Coughlin has been pretty good over the years as well.

now i wouldn't go THAT far...but i agree with him topping the list

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

That line about "game management gaffe" in the AFC title game is a joke. BB is supposed to help Brady ran his own 2 minute offense now, too?

Unreal.

Brady should have thrown it away.  That's ridiculous.  Also, Hernandez should have gotten out of bounds a play or two before that one, too. At some point, the players have to be held accountable and not every single thing that goes wrong is on the coach.

This is kind of what I mean about the media.  They can't just say anything positive, it has to be some kind of a backhanded compliment, if there even is one.

Unbelievable.

What is so unreal or unbelievable?

That's funny Rusty. The article is clearly giving Belichick top honors. It's laughable when you look at all comers, whether other forum Members, other Teams, Coaches and nit pick. Yeah, you look at everyone and everything under a microscope but look at Belichick with a telescope, He is never to be held accountable by you, for game management (prep and motivation, like Coughlan) situational football (Hern get Out of Bounds or else), playing Gronk in a SB that could'nt reach for another free beer if his life depended on it (Did BB slap Gronk for taking the field?), a defensive genious, many pizz poor assistant Coaches, etal; nothing.

I like Bellichick alot but not when I witness many wrinkles in Game management, motivation of Players, situational football deficiencies, TO at the wrong time, not to mention many other things. Your so positive it's all about BB in cap management and nothing to do with Jonathan Kraft or Nick Cassserio? I thank Nick for taking control of our drafts the past 3-4 years, like BB said himself " Gee, I never realized after trading up twice that we still had our 2nd round pick".

Hmmm.... Still, I'd take Belichick over the rest of them but improvement is in order.

Keep up your good work ..;-)

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to palookaski's comment:

Unreal.

Unbelievable.

What is so unreal or unbelievable?

That's funny Rusty. The article is clearly giving Belichick top honors. It's laughable when you look at all comers, whether other forum Members, other Teams, Coaches and nit pick. Yeah, you look at everyone and everything under a microscope but look at Belichick with a telescope, He is never to be held accountable by you, for game management (prep and motivation, like Coughlan) situational football (Hern get Out of Bounds or else), playing Gronk in a SB that could'nt reach for another free beer if his life depended on it (Did BB slap Gronk for taking the field?), a defensive genious, many pizz poor assistant Coaches, etal; nothing.

I like Bellichick alot but not when I witness many wrinkles in Game management, motivation of Players, situational football deficiencies, TO at the wrong time, not to mention many other things. Your so positive it's all about BB in cap management and nothing to do with Jonathan Kraft or Nick Cassserio? I thank Nick for taking control of our drafts the past 3-4 years, like BB said himself " Gee, I never realized after trading up twice that we still had our 2nd round pick".

Hmmm.... Still, I'd take Belichick over the rest of them but improvement is in order.

Keep up your good work ..;-)

Caserio took over BB's drafts? Dude, please. Caserio is an administrator like Pioli was. Ask Piioli who called the shots when BB was here.

Reese ran the numbers. He was a great hire by BB/Kraft as much as Caserio a great find and someone who has clearly replaced Pioli very well, but neither Pioli nor Caserio were/are the GM.

Caserio is being groomed and they'll need to pay him correctly to keep him without question, but to insinuate Caserio's promotion in this organization means he's the GM, is absolutely embarrassing for you.

I will agree that since BB got people in here to help how he likes to have the infrastrructure in the front office, after losing Dimitrioff and Pioli in back to back years, he had to have good people around him in that area.

Caserio is clearly very intelligent and will be a target for other teams, but he's not the GM here.

He's an administrator, which basically means he's a liaison between BB and the scouts.

He also may have taken over some of Reese's role, which is why Reese moved on.  BB has wisely and slowly brough him along.

One thing I noticed recently on this Sound FX show on NFLN is that Caserio sits up top during games where BB will talk to him and ask questions about stuff looking for answers, with Caserio researching.

Learn something new everyday.

Good one Russ. I'm Not embassed at all because if you 'technically' want to look at who the Real GM is with the Pats, just go to the Patriots home page and you can see that the 'official GM position' is not filled. That does not say that BB does not control some/most GM functions which I'm sure he does. How about the other things I mentioned?

Don't be concerned too much, You still have friends here, Someone sent me a message saying that "Rusty was not fit to even sleep with the pigs" but I defended you by saying " He certainly is fit" LOL, I laugh at my own jokes .... That's the diff between Jay Leno and Jimmy Fallon.

Take it easy "Red Devil', Only you and I, know what that really means, it's all good....;-)

Take it easy on the boys with the negative salutations and be reasonably positive. Although I agree that, there are differences between "Good Sh!ts' and Just being a plain Good Sh!t with comments. Learn from your elders Son because even you can " Learn something new everyday".

Most here are smart too and we know already and can figure it all out by ourselves. Keep up your good work.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I think the list is very accurate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

good list

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Umm, enjoy the weed you have and whatever other drink you do have. Wish I was there. lol

Haha ... you can be fun Rusty ..... one of your favvy sayings to others ... Classic Backpeddle, NO?

Nope, I don't drink anymore, just a glass of Hungarian Wine once in awhile and no smokes, ever.

You should learn to laugh with us and not at us. Not too late Rusty. Another of your favvies ... you got slapped, bludgeoned .....  Like I said we need more laughs around here, thanks for the entertainment you provide for all. But watch it, or else I'll take off my belt again, or else I'll order a good case of Babe Parilli on you, now that is intoxicating.

There must be a Community college near you, where you can take a few Social Science classes.

Anyway as usual have a good night ....;-)

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

List is in just about the right order in my opinion.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

2 names stick out to me. Tomlin has a declining team and I have never been a fan of BenR style of play. Yet Tomlin has that team playing hard every game and has been in 2 SB games in 5 years.

smith also over the past 5 years has won 57 games.....thought he would be on the list

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Umm, enjoy the weed you have and whatever other drink you do have. Wish I was there. lol

Haha ... you can be fun Rusty ..... one of your favvy sayings to others ... Classic Backpeddle, NO?

Nope, I don't drink anymore, just a glass of Hungarian Wine once in awhile and no smokes, ever.

You should learn to laugh with us and not at us. Not too late Rusty. Another of your favvies ... you got slapped, bludgeoned .....  Like I said we need more laughs around here, thanks for the entertainment you provide for all. But watch it, or else I'll take off my belt again, or else I'll order a good case of Babe Parilli on you, now that is intoxicating.

There must be a Community college near you, where you can take a few Social Science classes.

Anyway as usual have a good night ....;-)

If you're laughing from a board, you should probably get out more yourself.  No offense, but you can't even spell backpedal correctly and then look to lecture about what is funny and what isn't.

Also, Hungarian wine? WWI ended a long time ago. Go ahead and spend the $14 on a bottle of some nice Gruner, even if it's from Austria. lol

"Hungarian wine"? lol

I know no one who takes on "Hungarian wine" probably because it doesn't exist or isn't a wine worth enjoying for serious wine drinkers, but you enjoy, dude.

lol

Actually, Tokaji is a pretty famous dessert wine from Hungary.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Let it go Russ. For Pete's sake, he tops the list! 

Its called ultimate accountability...that is what happens when your the general. Yes, it's on individual players as well, but the buck stops with bb. Nothing to quibble about here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Strahan said they hated coughlin.  Hated him so much they had a team meeting.  I'm more inclined to believe the locker room is the motivator. I just can't see Eli giving a motivational speech though. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Thanks prolate, that's it, Suitable for Kings and Queens as it was its' original intent. We Messianic Jews serve it at Jewish feasts and Christian Holydays. Actually I lied to Rusty, because I enjoy a Thompson cigar on occasions.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Strange thing about Coaches, any sport, is that very few who have played the game at a superior level, make excellent Coaches. Rare the exceptions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Thanks prolate, that's it, Suitable for Kings and Queens as it was its' original intent. We Messianic Jews serve it at Jewish feasts and Christian Holydays. Actually I lied to Rusty, because I enjoy a Thompson cigar on occasions.

Cool . . . I didn't realize it was the drink of Messianic Judaism. I've only had it once, but liked it.  I like Sauternes too, which are the French equivalent.  

25. This post has been removed.