bedard gives mayo "all pro" grade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

bedard gives mayo "all pro" grade

Both mayo and spikes had great games.  Really like how they complement each other. 

Dierdork announcer calls spikes a "pure run stuffer" and then on next play spikes deftly breaks up a pass... realizing he just made himself sound really stupid he then says...

"its nice when you can defend a pass when you don't have to move..." (paraphrasing)

earlier in game spikes makes a leaping 1handed deflection of a pass preventing a big play. And dierdork goes... "that was spikes... who's primarily a run stopper making a nice play out in space... elevating and stretching out for the football..."

Maybe after making 2 athletic plays in front of your face in coverage spikes isn't just a run stopper dumaas... 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: bedard gives mayo

Mayo is a beast.  I have no idea why he gets so much crap here.  He is one of the best in the league at his position.  There are maybe a handful of guys you could make an argument for ahead of him at most imo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Brandon Spikes is a run stuffer, if I had to give him a grade as a run stuffer he's an A+. In pass defense, he's a C-. 

Brandon is a great defender, even in pass defense, but his lack of speed makes him a liabilty. If someone were to throw to a WR or TE who happened to be right in front of him, he'll make a play (See AFCCG where he was the spy on Flacco and he picked the ball off), but if he can't defend in man to man to save his life. 

Still love the guy though. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mayo is a beast.  I have no idea why he gets so much crap here.  He is one of the best in the league at his position.  There are maybe a handful of guys you could make an argument for ahead of him at most imo.

[/QUOTE]

He gets crap for the same reason everyone loves Ninkovich, Ninkovich has 7 sacks, but he's a terrible DE. Mayo's stats don't jump out, accept his tackle numbers, so no one appreciates him. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

http://mobile.boston.com/art/22/sports/football/patriots/2012/12/05/brandon-lloyd-victim-patriots-game-plan-not-poor-performance/uXYpZFVvg0AlUE5Gqxy0ZN/story

This is the link to the story.  He also takes the heat off Lloyd for good reason...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://mobile.boston.com/art/22/sports/football/patriots/2012/12/05/brandon-lloyd-victim-patriots-game-plan-not-poor-performance/uXYpZFVvg0AlUE5Gqxy0ZN/story

This is the link to the story.  He also takes the heat off Lloyd for good reason...

[/QUOTE]

Great article. I was just defending Lloyd in another thread. Anyone who cannot see what he adds to this offense is not watching close enough. 

The guy actually clears out routes. He gets open. Commands attention from safeties. Eases things up for the TEs downfield because he cannot be just ignored or paired off with a mediocre CB and blanketed like Branch was down the stretch. Yah, his overall numbers might be about the same as Branch but he'll do it commanding much more attention and getting better looks for the other guys like Edelman et al. 

He will come up big for NE down the stretch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great article. I was just defending Lloyd in another thread. Anyone who cannot see what he adds to this offense is not watching close enough. 

The guy actually clears out routes. He gets open. Commands attention from safeties. Eases things up for the TEs downfield because he cannot be just ignored or paired off with a mediocre CB and blanketed like Branch was down the stretch. Yah, his overall numbers might be about the same as Branch but he'll do it commanding much more attention and getting better looks for the other guys like Edelman et al. 

[/QUOTE]

There is little doubt Lloyd is better than what we had before we signed him. Last year, Branch, Edelman and Ocho were inferior to him this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

As I have said, Mayo is the least of our problems on defense. I would gladly have 4 of him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i hope you are right, but it would seem that if lloyd was having the impact which you claim he is(and I'm not saying he isn't) then why is he now mostly a back up? I don't understand the reluctance to use him for more then a decoy. Guy has great hands, can run routes and as Champ Bailey says is the most athletic receiver in the game today.

Btw what is bedard talking about, I heard Mayo suks.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brandon Spikes is a run stuffer, if I had to give him a grade as a run stuffer he's an A+. In pass defense, he's a C-. 

Brandon is a great defender, even in pass defense, but his lack of speed makes him a liabilty. If someone were to throw to a WR or TE who happened to be right in front of him, he'll make a play (See AFCCG where he was the spy on Flacco and he picked the ball off), but if he can't defend in man to man to save his life. 

[/QUOTE]

He has improved tremendously at that this year. He had 3 pass breakups last week alone and thats why people rag on mayo cuz he got a LOT of money and Spikes will likely be the better player by middle of next year if he keeps progressing. Maybe it was something they couldnt avoid but its gonna hamstring anyone else getting signed so good thing we got HIghtower cuz when spikes time comes i dont know if they can afford it. I have always liked Mayo but just dont think he is in the convo of the Best. Those guys MAKE IMPACT plays Game in and Game out and when you MAN the defense that couldnt even get ONE 3 and OUT in the most imprtant game of the year causing your world class offense to sit on the sidelines and we lose, than I can give him THAT much props and thats not to say I dont like him or he is no good, but he should be better for almost MAX money IMO considering whats out there but for our system its hard to find players and so they had to pay him or risk having another 10 year drought drafting backers...so it is what it is I guess..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He has improved tremendously at that this year. He had 3 pass breakups last week alone and thats why people rag on mayo cuz he got a LOT of money and Spikes will likely be the better player by middle of next year if he keeps progressing. Maybe it was something they couldnt avoid but its gonna hamstring anyone else getting signed so good thing we got HIghtower cuz when spikes time comes i dont know if they can afford it. I have always liked Mayo but just dont think he is in the convo of the Best. Those guys MAKE IMPACT plays Game in and Game out and when you MAN the defense that couldnt even get ONE 3 and OUT in the most imprtant game of the year causing your world class offense to sit on the sidelines and we lose, than I can give him THAT much props and thats not to say I dont like him or he is no good, but he should be better for almost MAX money IMO considering whats out there but for our system its hard to find players and so they had to pay him or risk having another 10 year drought drafting backers...so it is what it is I guess..

[/QUOTE]

Hate thinking about money at a time when the defense is showing progress finally.  Pats would be dumb to let spikes go. You need more than 1..., it just shows that you have to win NOW.  Next year is a different team just like this is so much different than last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i hope you are right, but it would seem that if lloyd was having the impact which you claim he is(and I'm not saying he isn't) then why is he now mostly a back up? I don't understand the reluctance to use him for more then a decoy. Guy has great hands, can run routes and as Champ Bailey says is the most athletic receiver in the game today.

Btw what is bedard talking about, I heard Mayo suks.

[/QUOTE]

Read the article. There are only so many reps in this offense. Perimeter WRs aren't "featured" in the playbook, and you don't rewrite your playbook. 

Gronk clears routes for Welker and Hernandez, which opens the seams, which clears running space off tackle for the runners. It's like a run and shoot version of the 2TE. 

The point of acquiring a player like Lloyd was having someone that could compete against a better corner when people clog up the middle of the field, and draw safety attention over the top. 

He does both, which gets room in the open field. How often, this season compared to last, do we see a safety in the box???? It was exactly how people played this offense the last three seasons. Now ... poof, the safety is back off the line. Running game has breathing room, Welker isn't getting decked everytime he catches the ball. Etcetera. 

Look at the guy's low YAC. There is always someone backing his corner. Always. 

Branch never had that. 

And anyone that says Mayo is bad doesn't understand football. Spikes has a few more flashy plays, but Mayo is the guy who makes this defense work. If he weren't there ... it would be worse.