Belichick on running the ball (from today's conference call)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Belichick on running the ball (from today's conference call)

Q: You're 9-0 when you rush 30 or more times in a game. What do you make of that statistic?

BB: I'm sure a lot of those rushes came when we were ahead so it's easy when you're ahead in the fourth quarter to want to run the ball. The problem is getting to that point. I don't think that statistic is that significant. What's significant is how you get the lead to put yourself in that situation in the game. Anytime you get 12, 14 carries in the fourth quarter, that's going to get you up to 30 rushes normally.

Q: There were a couple games and situations where you guys persevered with the run even though you were behind and it paid off.

BB: There's always an element to if you can balance off your offense to try to balance it off and give the defense more things to work on that, again, in some of those games when a team is playing you more to throw the ball, then that gives you more opportunities to run it. If a team is playing you more to run the ball, then that gives you more opportunities to throw it. Again, I think the most important thing for us has always been moving the ball and scoring points. It's not about how many runs or how many passes or how many times we throw the ball to this guy or how many times that guy carries the ball. It's about trying to match up and attack our opponents and score points. I think that's really the measure of what you do offensively. Can you score points and score enough points to win? All the other stats you want to throw in there are relevant but they're not as important as scoring. On the flip side of it of course is the turnovers. If you can score points and not turn the ball over, you're probably going to win a lot of games in this league. If you're not scoring a lot of points and you're turning the ball over, then you're probably not wining very many games. To me, that's really what it comes down to. However that happens, whether you throw it 50 times or run it 50 times. Either one could be good as long as you're achieving your goal of moving the ball and scoring points and not turning it over.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Belichick on running the ball (from today's conference call)

Don't worry, True Champ will straighten him out Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Q: You have some harsh critics on the BDC message board that like to criticize your offensive gameplans and believe that committing to the run = a win in every game. Thoughts?

BB: That guy they call "Rusty" is one of the dumbest SOB's alive. Have you seen the way he talks about Tom? Are we done?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

HMMM I though only Brady was ok with throwing 50 times?!?!!!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:

BB: There's always an element to if you can balance off your offense to try to balance it off and give the defense more things to work on that, again, in some of those games when a team is playing you more to throw the ball, then that gives you more opportunities to run it. If a team is playing you more to run the ball, then that gives you more opportunities to throw it. Again, I think the most important thing for us has always been moving the ball and scoring points. It's not about how many runs or how many passes or how many times we throw the ball to this guy or how many times that guy carries the ball. It's about trying to match up and attack our opponents and score points. I think that's really the measure of what you do offensively. Can you score points and score enough points to win? All the other stats you want to throw in there are relevant but they're not as important as scoring. On the flip side of it of course is the turnovers. If you can score points and not turn the ball over, you're probably going to win a lot of games in this league. If you're not scoring a lot of points and you're turning the ball over, then you're probably not wining very many games. To me, that's really what it comes down to. However that happens, whether you throw it 50 times or run it 50 times. Either one could be good as long as you're achieving your goal of moving the ball and scoring points and not turning it over.

BB knows that balance is important, he also knows that scoring points and stopping teams from scoring is more important than yards.  

As far as what it takes to have great offense I would say that is not his specialty and he of all people is keenly aware of this which is why he leaves it to his offensive coaches and can always be found on gameday coaching the defense and special teams.

And the fact remains, the Pats are 9-0 when they run thirty times or more, I would add there is probably data that can support the notion that the more they have run the more they have won, at least that's what my eyes tell me and I have watched every game over the last decade.  I would also add that running in the playoffs is substantially more important in the playoffs where snow and the elements play a factor.

All I know for sure is that from 2001-2004 the Patriots ran the ball in the playoffs more than almost every other team, we all know the result.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All I know for sure is that from 2001-2004 the Patriots ran the ball in the playoffs more than almost every other team, we all know the result.

[/QUOTE]

They also forced a shatload of turnovers...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't pretend to know more then BB, like you, murtl, babe, and tcal. I dont pizz on the guys team building skills while he is nearing the end of the greatest run in professional spots history.

I do think the losses of great coaches,and player personnel, that BB brought with him from the cleveland where he actually developed his system of grading players with ozzie,saban,lafrentz,weiss,RAC,Pioli, and a slew of others has hurt his coaching staff. Hey that is what happens when you build a dynasty. I still think our current staff is good, but RAC was the longest tenured coach in the NFL, you think guys listen to Matt Patricia as much as they did Crennel? Anybody who doesn't agree with that idea, I would love to hear why?

Now, BB as we know, is, and always has been a defensive master mind. Before I get the same b.s over the top responses from the "Clan" like, "you think BB knows nothing about offense rah, rah, rah, yes of course BB knows offensive football, but we know the guy who has his super bowl defensive game plan in the hall of fame is a defensive coach and always will be. We see it every time the D comes off the field as he is on 1 knee coaching them up in game, while the offense runs itself.

Now, I think McD has made significant gains in restoring some variety in our offense, as we not only had a great passing game like usual, but for the past 2 years we were 2nd and 9th in rushing. We were a one dimensional offense too often before that and it still rears it's ugly head from time to time.

2010 after trading Moss we adopted the run game and Brady was the only unanimous MVP in league history, relying on the run lead to 4 interceptions for the year. An immobile QB like Tom Brady needs a good running game, and we have always had one of the better O -lines to accomplish that. See 2008 when cassel came in and we were 6th in the league in rushing with lamont freaking jordan and sammy morris toting the rock.

I think BB is the greatest coach and general manager this game has ever seen, but when you lose people close to you, that helped you accomplish the great things you have done, it will have a negative impact on your business. This is true in all facets of life.

I stand by my thoughts that we have still fallen back on the greatest QB in the history of the game to win with his right arm in too many situations that didn't need it. Good post season defense's have slowed us down because of it. We have scored 14, 13, 21, 17, and 13 in our last 5 post season exits.

3 or 4 guys here think it is because BB suddenly forgot how to acquire talent after a 40 year career of scouting and growing up as the son of Navy's great scout Steve Belichick. Others think our defense has sucked despite allowing 17, and 19 points in 2 super bowl losses, 1 person who might have more then 1 personality thinks it is all Brady's fault. I try to remove the variables from the equation, Belichick is still here, I think the losses of great coaches that the greatest coach of all time trusted and relied on throughout his entire head coaching career has been a major factor in tough post season losses.

Individual players didn't show a mental toughness that is usually instilled in you by not only your head coach, but your O.C and position coaches. Yes, I think we should have relied on the run game more, not because we would have run for 6 ypc and scored 4 rushing td's in those games, but because running goes hand in hand with successful passing and prevents a defense from guessing right, and defense's sure have done a lot of that in our last 5 playoff exits.

Anyway, BB knows what he is talking about, as usual, and I don't think anything in what he just said conflicts with my opinion. Some games you have to pass more, some games you have to run more, but ask yourselves this question...How many games do you remember int he past 5 or 6 years, where we should have passed more then we did? Now, how many games do you remember where we should have ran more then we did?

I'm sure prolate won't remember any, because our coaching staff no matter how many hits it takes, is always right, but our GM BB can't even acquire enough talent to win super bowls....only go 12-4 every year. Must be a fine line in how much talent it takes to get you 12-4 but lose on the last 2 minutes of super bowls.

Sorry about the rant...Go Pats!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

As usual you fail to comprehend. What is it about this you guys do not understand:

I'm sure a lot of those rushes came when we were ahead so it's easy when you're ahead in the fourth quarter to want to run the ball. The problem is getting to that point. I don't think that statistic is that significant. What's significant is how you get the lead to put yourself in that situation in the game. Anytime you get 12, 14 carries in the fourth quarter, that's going to get you up to 30 rushes normally.

So Wozzy and Rusty are smarter than Bill. Thanks but no thanks, I prefer to let Belichick run the team.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Q: You're 9-0 when you rush 30 or more times in a game. What do you make of that statistic?

BB: I'm sure a lot of those rushes came when we were ahead so it's easy when you're ahead in the fourth quarter to want to run the ball. The problem is getting to that point. I don't think that statistic is that significant. What's significant is how you get the lead to put yourself in that situation in the game. Anytime you get 12, 14 carries in the fourth quarter, that's going to get you up to 30 rushes normally.

Q: There were a couple games and situations where you guys persevered with the run even though you were behind and it paid off.

[/QUOTE]

Flaw.

It is.  

This is fine in principle, but when BB is not over-seeing things and on the sideline dealing with the D, he is not in charge.   McDaniels and the supposed GOAT are.

Clearly, subbing your RB for matchups to tip off the opponent is not a good idea.  Brady prefers that shotgun.  Ugh.  I wish Brady did not prefer the shotgun, Moss and Welker never came here and Brady never had his knee blown out.

I, too, wish Brady/McD weren't running shotguns on 1st and 2nd down that the rate he has.

He's been brutal in the postseason that the rate. Good news is, the odds are that Brady can't continue on with that, so Pats fans should like the odds for a better Brady.

[/QUOTE]

Flaw.

You really are,

So your saying BB isn't in charge of the O and lets his QB and Oc do whatever the hell they want while he deals solely with his pathetic defense?

Dam shame he misses half the game.  Dam shame his D needs all his attention, so much that he totally neglects the guys that actually score points.  You would think he would want to know how many points his D can give up before they lose the game.

Maybe that's the problem.  He doesn't know until it's too late.

Doesn't sound like a very good HC to me.  Sounds more like a Wade Phillips. Not a clue.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't pretend to know more then BB, like you, murtl, babe, and tcal. I dont pizz on the guys team building skills while he is nearing the end of the greatest run in professional spots history.

I do think the losses of great coaches,and player personnel, that BB brought with him from the cleveland where he actually developed his system of grading players with ozzie,saban,lafrentz,weiss,RAC,Pioli, and a slew of others has hurt his coaching staff. Hey that is what happens when you build a dynasty. I still think our current staff is good, but RAC was the longest tenured coach in the NFL, you think guys listen to Matt Patricia as much as they did Crennel? Anybody who doesn't agree with that idea, I would love to hear why?

Now, BB as we know, is, and always has been a defensive master mind. Before I get the same b.s over the top responses from the "Clan" like, "you think BB knows nothing about offense rah, rah, rah, yes of course BB knows offensive football, but we know the guy who has his super bowl defensive game plan in the hall of fame is a defensive coach and always will be. We see it every time the D comes off the field as he is on 1 knee coaching them up in game, while the offense runs itself.

Now, I think McD has made significant gains in restoring some variety in our offense, as we not only had a great passing game like usual, but for the past 2 years we were 2nd and 9th in rushing. We were a one dimensional offense too often before that and it still rears it's ugly head from time to time.

2010 after trading Moss we adopted the run game and Brady was the only unanimous MVP in league history, relying on the run lead to 4 interceptions for the year. An immobile QB like Tom Brady needs a good running game, and we have always had one of the better O -lines to accomplish that. See 2008 when cassel came in and we were 6th in the league in rushing with lamont freaking jordan and sammy morris toting the rock.

I think BB is the greatest coach and general manager this game has ever seen, but when you lose people close to you, that helped you accomplish the great things you have done, it will have a negative impact on your business. This is true in all facets of life.

I stand by my thoughts that we have still fallen back on the greatest QB in the history of the game to win with his right arm in too many situations that didn't need it. Good post season defense's have slowed us down because of it. We have scored 14, 13, 21, 17, and 13 in our last 5 post season exits.

3 or 4 guys here think it is because BB suddenly forgot how to acquire talent after a 40 year career of scouting and growing up as the son of Navy's great scout Steve Belichick. Others think our defense has sucked despite allowing 17, and 19 points in 2 super bowl losses, 1 person who might have more then 1 personality thinks it is all Brady's fault. I try to remove the variables from the equation, Belichick is still here, I think the losses of great coaches that the greatest coach of all time trusted and relied on throughout his entire head coaching career has been a major factor in tough post season losses.

Individual players didn't show a mental toughness that is usually instilled in you by not only your head coach, but your O.C and position coaches. Yes, I think we should have relied on the run game more, not because we would have run for 6 ypc and scored 4 rushing td's in those games, but because running goes hand in hand with successful passing and prevents a defense from guessing right, and defense's sure have done a lot of that in our last 5 playoff exits.

Anyway, BB knows what he is talking about, as usual, and I don't think anything in what he just said conflicts with my opinion. Some games you have to pass more, some games you have to run more, but ask yourselves this question...How many games do you remember int he past 5 or 6 years, where we should have passed more then we did? Now, how many games do you remember where we should have ran more then we did?

I'm sure prolate won't remember any, because our coaching staff no matter how many hits it takes, is always right, but our GM BB can't even acquire enough talent to win super bowls....only go 12-4 every year. Must be a fine line in how much talent it takes to get you 12-4 but lose on the last 2 minutes of super bowls.

Sorry about the rant...Go Pats!

[/QUOTE]

Great post TC.  I bet that felt good!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Flaw.

It is.  

This is fine in principle, but when BB is not over-seeing things and on the sideline dealing with the D, he is not in charge.   McDaniels and the supposed GOAT are.

Clearly, subbing your RB for matchups to tip off the opponent is not a good idea.  Brady prefers that shotgun.  Ugh.  I wish Brady did not prefer the shotgun, Moss and Welker never came here and Brady never had his knee blown out.

I, too, wish Brady/McD weren't running shotguns on 1st and 2nd down that the rate he has.

He's been brutal in the postseason that the rate. Good news is, the odds are that Brady can't continue on with that, so Pats fans should like the odds for a better Brady.

[/QUOTE]

Flaw.

You really are,

So your saying BB isn't in charge of the O and lets his QB and Oc do whatever the hell they want while he deals solely with his pathetic defense?

Dam shame he misses half the game.  Dam shame his D needs all his attention, so much that he totally neglects the guys that actually score points.  You would think he would want to know how many points his D can give up before they lose the game.

Maybe that's the problem.  He doesn't know until it's too late.

Doesn't sound like a very good HC to me.  Sounds more like a Wade Phillips. Not a clue.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah rusty and his followers would have us believe that belichick is like Rex Ryan and doesn't even watch the offense

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BB knows that balance is important, he also knows that scoring points and stopping teams from scoring is more important than yards.  

As far as what it takes to have great offense I would say that is not his specialty and he of all people is keenly aware of this which is why he leaves it to his offensive coaches and can always be found on gameday coaching the defense and special teams.

And the fact remains, the Pats are 9-0 when they run thirty times or more, I would add there is probably data that can support the notion that the more they have run the more they have won, at least that's what my eyes tell me and I have watched every game over the last decade.  I would also add that running in the playoffs is substantially more important in the playoffs where snow and the elements play a factor.

[/QUOTE]

Let's look at this.

2001 Raiders Game 52 passes to 30 runs.

2001 Steelers Game 39 passes to 25 runs.

2001 Rams Game  27 passes to 25 runs.

So far you are 0 for 3 should I continue.

2003 Titans game 41 passes to 27 runs.

2003 Colts game 37 passes to 32 runs. (5 Colts turnovers)

2003 Panthers  48 passes to 35 runs.

Now you are 0 for 6, should I continue.

2004 Colts game 27 passes to 39 runs (Corey Dillon gets you one).

2004 Steelers game 21 passes to 32 runs (Corey Dillon gets you two).

2004 Eagles game 33 passes to 28 runs.

What does this prove. Your eyes were telling you wrong except for when Corey Dillon was on the team. The Pats won plenty of playoff games throwing 35+ passes. Since the Pats had good sized leads in several of these games the running stats were probably skewed a bit in your favor with 4th quarter runs (as Bill Belichick mentions in his quote). Especially in 2004 when Pats rather handily beat the Colts and Steelers. For example I count 14 runs against the Steelers in 2004 during the 4th quarter with a two score lead. Against the Colts with a two score lead in the 4th quarter I counted 12 runs. So while I agree a good running game is important it was not more important than the passing game during the super bowl years. If anything it was the defense that was key in most of these games.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Let's look at this.

What does this prove. Your eyes were telling you wrong except for when Corey Dillon was on the team. The Pats won plenty of playoff games throwing 35+ passes. Since the Pats had good sized leads in several of these games the running stats were probably skewed a bit in your favor with 4th quarter runs (as Bill Belichick mentions in his quote). Especially in 2004 when Pats rather handily beat the Colts and Steelers. For example I count 14 runs against the Steelers in 2004 during the 4th quarter with a two score lead. Against the Colts with a two score lead in the 4th quarter I counted 12 runs. So while I agree a good running game is important it was not more important than the passing game during the super bowl years. If anything it was the defense that was key in most of these games.

[/QUOTE]

Facts are stubborn things

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Haha. Wow. 

I've been saying that, in those exact words "statisitcally insignificant"for five years. 

Inasmuch as this argument is reall about a select few egos and not facts, the drum beat will stay the same, I'm sure, even if Bill Belichik knows the score.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Ahhhh yes, and that is what the run, run, run guys totally neglect or don't understand.

The D has a lot to do with run/pass balance. 

If you notice, a majority of the losses, do become unbalanced. (out of necessity, not neglect) And certainly not because BB is ignoring his OC and QB, while his O is screwing up the game or because TB wants to pad his stats..

How ridiculous.

Yes, as BB says, they run more with the lead in the 4th.  All teams do.

It would be great if every game were neatly packaged with bows and ribbon, but that's not always the case.

Unfortunately is most losses, the D has a nasty habit of giving up 2 score leads, 3 score leads, and 2 score leads twice in one game.  It then becomes a passing game.

Sometimes, but not as frequent, they even put them in a 3-4 score hole.  It then becomes a passing game.

They also have a nasty habit of shortening games.  When an entire half becomes 4 possessions and the D is giving up leads, it then becomes a passing game.

BB, the HC, just didn't by happen chance, switch over to a high powered, high quick scoring, Offense.  He did it because he was compensating for something.

He did it because he knew he would have to score a lot of points, regardless of how they were scored.

The desired balance is not run/pass, it's O & D & ST.

I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

BB has clearly stated his view on this before, and with more detail. In this he says nothing to contradict his former words.

He has said he prefers balance, and, he will run more if running is EFFECTIVE.

This is no great football mystery, There is no foolproof plan that a certain number of runs or passes equals success. You try this and then that which you planned would be effective and repeat what works and avoid what doesn't. It is no more complicated than that, and BB has in so many words said as much.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If all other things were equal, that might be an answer to the failures. But obviously, all other things were not equal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Here Rusty.....

It's not about how many runs or how many passes or how many times we throw the ball to this guy or how many times that guy carries the ball. It's about trying to match up and attack our opponents and score points.

Now go write that 1000 times and get back to us. Maybe you will learn something.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

[QUOTE]

Let's look at this.

[/QUOTE]

Fantastic post.