Belichick Terrible at Drafting..Not 1 Pro Bowler After Rd1 since 2001

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Belichick Terrible at Drafting..Not 1 Pro Bowler After Rd1 since 2001

Please tell me the name of the PRO BOWL trophy, and where you keep it.  I never heard of any team winning a pro bowl.  Or a popularity contest.  All I know is the Superbowl.  And he did win a couple of those.  

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

NO.  a collection of people from OTHER teams wins it.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

Your point is a very bad one because probowls aren't necessarily a good indication of talent.  How many probowls did vrabel, bruschi, harrison, troy brown etc make????

Yes they did make it, but not every year and they are very good players.  bruschi and harrison especially didn't go to that many pro bowls with the pats, but they are great players.

The pro bowl isn't a good indicator of talent.

The drafts from 2005-2009 weren't great, but they're not always going to be great.  The team has some good young players on it now.

ALSO BELICHECK HAS BEEN GREAT IN THE FIRST ROUND.  LOOK AT ALL THE FIRST ROUNDERS HE DRAFTED ONLY MARONEY HAS BEEN BAD AND HE'S BEEN INJURED A LOT.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

So when Romo got selected to the pro bowl it wasn't cause his popularity?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick Terrible at Drafting..Not 1 Pro Bowler After Rd1 since 2001:
    [QUOTE]Your point is a very bad one because probowls aren't necessarily a good indication of talent.  How many probowls did vrabel, bruschi, harrison, troy brown etc make???? Yes they did make it, but not every year and they are very good players.  bruschi and harrison especially didn't go to that many pro bowls with the pats, but they are great players. The pro bowl isn't a good indicator of talent. The drafts from 2005-2009 weren't great, but they're not always going to be great.  The team has some good young players on it now. ALSO BELICHECK HAS BEEN GREAT IN THE FIRST ROUND.  LOOK AT ALL THE FIRST ROUNDERS HE DRAFTED ONLY MARONEY HAS BEEN BAD AND HE'S BEEN INJURED A LOT.
    Posted by fancy-shamanski[/QUOTE]

I amended to probowl caliber players which those were  never questioned his 1st round picks  he should of kept them all

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick Terrible at Drafting..Not 1 Pro Bowler After Rd1 since 2001:
    [QUOTE]Thread Failure. Weren't the Dynasty era Pats players famously left off of Pro Bowls?  Shouldn't Samuel have made a Pro Bowl in 2006, for example? Mankins is a Pro Bowler, Seymour, Warren could have been one in 2006, Merriweather is a Pro Bowler. I see all kinds of personal attacks and namecalling on this thread so far by the way?  Banning time for some?
    Posted by ClarkGriswold[/QUOTE]

all 1st rd'ers cept samuel I mentioned in original post.... you guys can't read

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

[QUOTE]Your premise is terrible.  How many teams in the league do you think formed a dynasty in the last decade? BB uses free agency and the draft at about 60/40.  You like to pretend he only fills a roster with draft picks to attempt to make your outlandish claim stick.
    Posted by ClarkGriswold[/QUOTE]
     Dynasty ended in 05

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Bill Belichick has compiled a 107-37 regular season record since 2001. 

I've heard an argument elsewhere on this list that BB was terrible at signing free agents.  Here the argument goes that he's terrible at drafting.  Yeah, right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

[QUOTE]Bill Belichick has compiled a 107-37 regular season record since 2001.  I've heard an argument elsewhere on this list that BB was terrible at signing free agents.  Here the argument goes that he's terrible at drafting.  Yeah, right.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

History we can read about it... what about the next 3-4 seasons  NFL Baby...what have you done latley

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Belichick Terrible at Drafting..Not 1 Pro Bowler After Rd1 since 2001:
    [QUOTE]Other than Samuel.. not here  and Gostowski... check the history BB personal decisions.... he is clearly a great X's & o's Guy and  a terrible evalulator of personal period  not one stud has he drafted after round 1 since 02 drafting brady was luck
    Posted by DBCoach[/QUOTE]

He's got the rings, though..  why does it matter to have pro bowl players?  The Pats had very few pro bowlers even in their SB years!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ok just for fun I decided to look up the amount of pro-bowls the Pats have had since 01

01: 4 pro-bowlers 1 drafted by BB (Brady 6th) SB Year
    02: 6 pro-bowlers 2 drafted by BB 1 acquired by BB
    03: 3 pro-bowlers 1 drafted by BB SB Year
    04: 6 pro-bowlers 2 drafted by BB 1 acquired by BB SB Year (Dillion pick trade, Brady 6th)
    05: 2 pro-bowlers both drafted by BB (Brady 6th)
    06: 2 pro-bowlers both drafted by BB (Light in 2nd)
    07: 5 pro-bowlers 3 drafted by BB 2 acquired (Brady 6th, Samuel 4th) SB Year
    08: 2 pro-bowlers 1 drafted by BB 1 acquired (Welker draft pick trade, Gost 4th)
    09: 5 pro-bowlers 4 drafted by BB 1 acquired (Welker draft pick trade, Brady 6th)

Taking a look at that it seems odd the team with the most wins and second in regular season wins in the last 10 years sent so little to the pro-bowl. However, the results speak for themselves. There has been no other team for the last 10 years that have made and won as many playoff games as the Pats.

Now I'll give you that 06, 07, 08 look like complete failures for drafts (minus the Moss/Welker trades and 1st round picks) but 09' and 10' look scary good. We could be setting up for another 10 year run very soon.

In case that wasn't enough it should speak volumes when this upcoming season might produce a 9-7 or a 10-6 team and that's considered a failure (most teams and fans would be happy with that record and a chance at the playoff, esp considering we are in the middle of rebuilding almost our entire D). Anyone care to go back to the 90's Pats? No? Then I'm fine with BB drafting non pro-bowlers

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Spin it how you want  FA's don't count...  lets call it pro bowl caliber players...

Moss was not a FA he was a straight up trade, I believe. Welker was FA but ended up being a trade when Kraft stepped in to save the peace with the Miami owner as the patriots poison pilled the contract, if I remember correctly.

Ultimately they acquired BOTH players via the draft. They were acquired using draft picks and the decisions were made based on talent evaluation. How else do you determine you want a player? You evaluate the talent and go after it.

There weren't a lot of other teams clamoring for either of those guys services, at the time,  if I remember correctly. So all those props for seeing something in them still that others did not go to the Patriots org. That's why Welker is still playing for short money.

The other drafted players on the team, especially the defensive players, play in a system that is not predicated on generating super-stars or stats.That will never help those guys in the popularity contest that is the pro-bowl.

The other fact you fail to mention or analyze is where in the round the picks are coming. When you 've had a decade of excellence and winning you are picking at or near the bottom of every round. Trying to say that the 33rd guy drafted made the pro-bowl but the 64th guy didn't isn't equal just because they are both 2nd rounders.The Patriots probably had the 33rd guy evaluated better than the 64th as well but didn't have the opportunity to draft him at that spot.

The bigger question I would have is where is the rest of it? Compared to who? What team, coach, gm, vp of player personnel, or organization are you comparing his results to? What's your baseline?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick Terrible at Drafting..Not 1 Pro Bowler After Rd1 since 2001 :.... The bigger question I would have is where is the rest of it? Compared to who? What team, coach, gm, vp of player personnel, or organization are you comparing his results to? What's your baseline?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

ANSWER - He just wants to pound on BB. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Response to Belichick Terrible at Drafting..Not 1 Pro Bowler After Rd1 since 2001:
    [QUOTE]Other than Samuel.. not here  and Gostowski... check the history BB personal decisions.... he is clearly a great X's & o's Guy and  a terrible evalulator of personal period  not one stud has he drafted after round 1 since 02 drafting brady was luck

You need to dump the coach part of your name.  It doesn't fit.  Belichick doesn't evaluate the talent for the team.  He's in on it but he doesn't scout per se'.  He admits that he's not an expert on the matter and leaves it to others.  I do believe he gives details as to what the needs of the team are and this is how he gets involved.

Drafting pro bowlers is nice but it's not what it's about so I figure this post is about stirring the pot.  Belichick bashing will do that around here that's for sure.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Pro Bowl appearances don't matter, BB has drafted people that fit in his system. If you really want to go by pro bowlers then heres a stumping fact for you. In 2007 the Dallas Cowboys had 13 pro bowlers(a record) yet they didn't get out of the first round of the playoffs. You logic says that if they aren't pro bowlers, they aren't any good.

I say your logic su*ks and end it with that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

The DB Coach is right!  We have done fine trading choices for players like Moss, Welker, Vrabel, but most our admittedly low first rounders have disappointed.  We could have had Steven Jackson of the Rams in the draft - he openly lobbied BB to draft him - but no - we wait a year to take Maroney.  Mike Oher - hell no - let's drop down, let the Ravens have him- and we get Chung in second round instead.  This year, we did not make the effort to move up in the first round to get Michigan's Brandon Graham ( but Eagles and Ryan did!) event though OLB and passrush were our key weakness on D.  McCourty looks lost and we moved down again in first to get him - another second round Chung equivalent.  We need a GM to handle draft.  BB should stick to coaching, which he is much better at doing than drafting top talent..  Keep in up DB Coach!!!