Belichick's plan for practice squad member Steve Maneri

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carbonflow. Show carbonflow's posts

Belichick's plan for practice squad member Steve Maneri

I am curious to hear if fans have insights on status of Steve Maneri. 

The Patriots have him listed as a Guard at 6-6 290.  In a way, he has the build of  a super-sized Gronk and if he can add 30 lbs or so, he could very well make a good lineman.  He did play TE at Temple so it will be interesting to see if he can make the transition.

what do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: Belichick's plan for practice squad member Steve Maneri

Well, they need to bring him for a game and see what he has to offer at TE, if hernandez is still out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It looks like both Hou and NE thought he'd be a better lineman then TE so it's going to take time to switch positions. Now switching from TE to T might not seem like a huge move but it could be a challenge and he is still really young so maybe they wanted to keep him down in the PS and let him just get use to the position and get as many reps at a new position as possible before trying to move him up. The good news is if they didn't like him he wouldn't be on the team so they must see something they like but we'll see if he develops into a T or G and can play on the field every Sunday. Who knows he could become another Neal and just needs time to learn a new position

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think they brought him in as a developmental tackle, but I could be wrong. Not sure what he does in practice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carbonflow. Show carbonflow's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick's plan for practice squad member Steve Maneri:
    [QUOTE]It looks like both Hou and NE thought he'd be a better lineman then TE so it's going to take time to switch positions. Now switching from TE to T might not seem like a huge move but it could be a challenge and he is still really young so maybe they wanted to keep him down in the PS and let him just get use to the position and get as many reps at a new position as possible before trying to move him up. The good news is if they didn't like him he wouldn't be on the team so they must see something they like but we'll see if he develops into a T or G and can play on the field every Sunday. Who knows he could become another Neal and just needs time to learn a new position
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

They've done a lot of TE conversions to tackle in the past with good success.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]They've done a lot of TE conversions to tackle in the past with good success.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Examples?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carbonflow. Show carbonflow's posts

I agree,

very interested to know which players, past and present, have  made successful transiton from tight end in college to offensive line in the NFL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]I agree, very interested to know which players, past and present, have  made successful transiton from tight end in college to offensive line in the NFL

Posted by carbonflow[/QUOTE]

Only one that comes to mind is the guy in Buffalo, Jason Peters. But he was an exceptional athlete and was over 300 lbs as a TE as I recall. I don't know that Belichick tried it with anyone.  But wasn't Vollmer a TE before he changed positions in college?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick's plan for practice squad member Steve Maneri : Only one that comes to mind is the guy in Buffalo, Jason Peters. But he was an exceptional athlete and was over 300 lbs as a TE as I recall. I don't know that Belichick tried it with anyone.  But wasn't Vollmer a TE before he changed positions in college?
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]
    He was.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

He has excellent feet as you would expect, very smart player and strong.  If any coaching staff can make this guy into a tackle is NE's.  He has all the tools, might take another year but he should be able to make that transition.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

there is some video of him on youtube.  Apparently he is an outstanding blocker.  Set the bar on pancake blocks at Temple.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slakrking. Show slakrking's posts

Schlereth was a TE before he was  a pro-bowl guard with Denver