Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Re: Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost

I dont believe the benching had anything to do with effecting the game on the field but I do wonder like others if it had an effect on the teams morale.  For whatever reason this team came out with no passion or drive.  They just looked so flat. 

Whatever BB is doing, it has not worked the last two playoff games. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost:
    [QUOTE]How stupid and stubborn is Coach Belichek? Bench your best receiver because he joked with the media about Jets coach Ryan foot fetish. You could see Welker stewing before the game and if you ever played sports you know team chemistry is huge. Why would you do anything to disrupt a team playing as well as the Pats were playing,especially in a playoff game. If Belichek wanted to fine Welker OK,but don't bench the man and destroy the teams morale. Belichek lost this game period with this stupid benching.The other reason NE lost was playing Crumpler . Why do the Pats start Crumpler at TE ? He is slow and can't catch and should be a bench player only. Take care Run
    Posted by runrunandrun[/QUOTE]

Yup, it had nothing to do with that terrible fake punt or the poor playcalling where Woodhead was expected to pound the rock or the poor offensive line play or the fact that we don't have a player who can win his one-on-one matchup and get to the opposing QB

And I'm sure Welker's ill-advised comments did nothing to pump the Jets up that much more, especially becuase the Jets players don't really like Rex Ryan

Your Pats posts are as insightful as your Celtics posts.  I suggest you find a new hobby.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost : yep yep, does he bench brady in the same situation? yep lets start hoyer for a series to show the team who is boss. that was unnecessary. cutting off your nose to spite your face. you fine him and tear him up in private or in front of the team. welk had plausible deniability regarding his comments. the reporters in the room did not even catch on . no one did til deadspin intervened. y is bel wasting time on such minutiae? brady said he hated the jets and was y he would not hard knocks. did he get suspended or publically berated? there have to be bigger issues to worry about come playoff time... guess ryan has proven that by focusing on x and o and what happens directly on the field you canoutshine the micromanaging liberal!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]
    Dont forget, Brady engaged in a bit of trash talk before the pats last SB.  Was he benched?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from runrunandrun. Show runrunandrun's posts

[QUOTE]Welker was benched for ONE offensive series and it had absolutly no bearing on the outcome of the game................Pats choked on a Di@k for the 3rd consecutive playoff game.
    Posted by Hannahman[/QUOTE]

Hello ?? The Pats were driving on that first series and would have scored if Welker was in,they insted through an interception and changed the whole tone of the game.Bad Karma was created by benching Welker.

Run

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from runrunandrun. Show runrunandrun's posts

[QUOTE] The benching had no bearing on the game. The drive without Welker was going just fine until Brady floated up an incredibly bad interception.
    Posted by ccnsd[/QUOTE]

Did Rivers Bench Garnett for making that cancer remark to Charlie V ? NO he defended his player. Can you picture Rivers sitting Garnett the first quater of the game for trash talking ? no way he would know it could kill team morale.

Run

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

foolish post........Welker didn't fake the punt ..drop the td pass........give up thirddown   conversions........fail to sack the quaterback..........did it help.........no ........but did it cost us the game.............no

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Shouldn't have benched Welker; you don't do that to the heart and soul of a team, it's degrading and embarrassing. When a guy does all he does he deserves better, he wasn't late to a meeting or told a coach off.

Deadric started the game...right!! Here's a guy that broke team rules, but he had to be out there. If Edelman wasn't around, Welker would have been out there. One of many mistakes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]How stupid and stubborn is Coach Belichek? Bench your best receiver because he joked with the media about Jets coach Ryan foot fetish. You could see Welker stewing before the game and if you ever played sports you know team chemistry is huge. Why would you do anything to disrupt a team playing as well as the Pats were playing,especially in a playoff game. If Belichek wanted to fine Welker OK,but don't bench the man and destroy the teams morale. Belichek lost this game period with this stupid benching.The other reason NE lost was playing Crumpler . Why do the Pats start Crumpler at TE ? He is slow and can't catch and should be a bench player only. Take care Run

Thank you for your clueless pink helmet post. Please jump off of the bandwagon with all the other morons.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Not to mention we were totally out coached..........we made no adjustments in the second half...........when Brady threw the pick in the first quarter I knew we were had .........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Welkers comments took the trash talking off the field and into someone's personal life and I think this is why BB sat him that first series. Good natured or not, it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. Whether it was a contributing factor to the loss, I cannot say because I am not in the locker.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

How can one even think or imagine that what WW said has any bearing on the outcome of the game is beyond me.  14 points were given away on a short field due to bad play calling decisions and inability of the offense to do much of anything most of the game are something more to point to as factors.  Sanchez only had 180+ yards, he did not have to do much.  And why we were grinding it out in the second half instead of open it up a little bit when coming from behind.  If that is the way you want to play, the Jets would say thank you very much.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

[QUOTE]foolish post........Welker didn't fake the punt ..drop the td pass........give up thirddown   conversions........fail to sack the quaterback..........did it help.........no ........but did it cost us the game.............no
    Posted by EASON11[/QUOTE]

Your kinda missing the point of the post.  If the Welker benching got in the players heads/upset them and they lost focused then the result is you get a guy dropping a fake punt, you get brady looking like manning in the playoffs.  You get dumb undisciplined penalties.  This team was so razor sharp and then all of a suddent they lay a rotten egg.  Something smells.

In the big picture you had the Jets players and coaches saying they had each others backs and were in this together and then you have BB benching Welker for a little joke???  Wouldnt be surprised if that pissed off some of the players that the coach didnt just back his player like Rex did.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

No it was Belichick. After listening to his presser this morning it was clear he was behind the strategy. 

BB is wrong sometimes. It's okay to admit it. 

[QUOTE]It wasn't Belichick that was mismanaging time. It was O'Brien. Belichick is not involved in every offensive play call and that's why you could read his lips at the end of the game; he was telling O'Brien to throw the ball instead of running it and killing clock.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

And BB has the authority to switch strategies if it was OB's plan. That's what head coaches do. 

It's easy to blame OB and other non-core people, but the blame lies with Brady and Belichick ultimately. It's their team and they didn't perform.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

I agree.  BB and TB were right there.  And the strategy actually was not working.  They spent 7 minutes to go from about their 20 yard line to the Jets 40, and spending about a minute a snap on the drive that got them zero point.  At 7 minutes mark, everyone at my house was jumping up and down wondering what the hell was going on.  I have never seen any game where a team would do this in the 4th quarter being down 2 scores, let alone using a small thrid down back to pound in for a small yardage at at time.  It just made no sense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost : It isn't Welker's locker room. It is Belichick's. He told them not to engage in the word play. I don't believe Belichick is the type to be ambiguous about these type of messages. Welker chose to go against a direct order from his coach and got his hand slapped.  Please leave your dimly lit theories in trying to stretch this into a fatuous political argument where it belongs. But don't sit down too hard on it.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

You got that right!

Contrarian, please grow up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost : That is just it.  Bellichek is not a great coach, just a great cheater.  Without knowing what the other team is doing every play before they do, Bellichek and Brady are NOTHING!!!!
    Posted by PatsHaterinCO[/QUOTE]

Wow, well formed argument totally unencumbered with dreary facts!  Good one!  That thin air in Colorado is killing off your brain cells, please get some oxygen before you post again.  You are living proof that  Windows 7 is so simple, even morons can use it!  To the cloud for some actual thought!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from runrunandrun. Show runrunandrun's posts

[QUOTE]foolish post........Welker didn't fake the punt ..drop the td pass........give up thirddown   conversions........fail to sack the quaterback..........did it help.........no ........but did it cost us the game.............no
    Posted by EASON11[/QUOTE]

Eason,
    Welker is the heart of the Patriots,the man worked his butt off coming back from a very bad knee injury. And Belichek could have cared less,benching Welker sent a message to the players,its my team and your all expendable and I could care less if you come back next year. Its all about ME coach B ,my way or the highway. As a player why would you play hard for this man??

Would sitting Pierce at the start of the playoff cause a problem for the C's?
    Big Time and sitting Weleker hurt the Pats big time.

Run

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I did not like it...I wont say it had an effect on the X's and O's, but think about this.   The captain of the team , Vince Wilfork could not even talk after the game....why u ask?  He said the next morning that he was so upset he didnt want to say anyting negative about the Pats or Jets.   So, what was it that he would have said that was negative about the pats?....Mr. Team - Vince who kept his mouth shut during his contract talks and showed up everyday??

Lets stop lying to ourselves....the benching absolutely had a negative effect on the teams mental approach to the game...  How else do you explain a team going thru the whole league, blowing them out and all of a sudden starts playing like a high school team...there aint enough pressure in the world!  This team kept its mouth shut all week after having to hear all kinds of c rap, and Wes (rule breaker or not) went ahead and did his thing, which didnt break rules, IMO (how can we prove what Wes was tryna do), and then you wait until kickoff to announce it and guys like Vince had to find out from his wifes twitter?!?!  This was unessecary and although we moved the ball without him, the team was not united and it showed....and even if you wanna give him a pass for that, how do you explain him electing Chung an assistant coach?  a 22 year old, 2nd year player with no playoff experience to go ahead and make a call that changes the game.... ???   Im sorry we have to call it fair, if the Colts had done the same, we would be calling them chokers....The players worked too hard all year for Bill to have them unprepared like that, yet he has them running up the score in meaningless games....same B.S. as 07', just a diff. way of losing...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Oh, and just in case that wasnt enough proof, Why was everyone talking about the Jets playing Zone sunday as if it was some sort of new strategic defense never seen before?  You can only do 2 things, play man or zone, and seeing as though we beat the breaks of them playing man, one would assume they would switch.  They also had great success the previous week, doing the same to Manning, letting him check to runs while the filled the middle with d.b's....

Soooo, in essence it sounds as if this offense was not prepared to move the ball against a zone defense, and I find that very upsetting, and another testiment that BIll has turned into a crack head n' the playoffs!  How the hell do you not prepare for zone, esp. when Ryan said he was outcoached and had to step his game up???!!!  The 07' SB coaching was so bad I thought B.B. threw the game...and I dont feel much better about this...Anybody can dominate the reg. season with a great QB(Colts) , but it takes good caoching to win in the playoffs, so i guess Ryan is better now????, I doubt it...our coach is just a control freak who overanalyzes things in critical moments...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

This might be the most stupid post I've ever seen on this board.

Can you seriously believe that welker out for one series was the difference in a game where we were beat in every phase of the game for four quarters?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tnpatfan. Show tnpatfan's posts

Again, I look back at the game where BB traded Lawyer Milloy the day before the Buffalo  game, and remember how bad that team played. And why was Brady not walking up and down the bench encouraging the team, he just sat on the bench looking depressed. This team was not itself, nor was Brady.
    BB responsibility is to win, not to be a Caesar. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bertie-wooster2. Show bertie-wooster2's posts

I think benching Wes may have hurt the team pyschologically. The Pats got outworked/outplayed for most of the game and they weren't able to battle through it. The Pats need to be more mentally tough. I think they will get there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from runrunandrun. Show runrunandrun's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, and just in case that wasnt enough proof, Why was everyone talking about the Jets playing Zone sunday as if it was some sort of new strategic defense never seen before?  You can only do 2 things, play man or zone, and seeing as though we beat the breaks of them playing man, one would assume they would switch.  They also had great success the previous week, doing the same to Manning, letting him check to runs while the filled the middle with d.b's.... Soooo, in essence it sounds as if this offense was not prepared to move the ball against a zone defense, and I find that very upsetting, and another testiment that BIll has turned into a crack head n' the playoffs!  How the hell do you not prepare for zone, esp. when Ryan said he was outcoached and had to step his game up???!!!  The 07' SB coaching was so bad I thought B.B. threw the game...and I dont feel much better about this...Anybody can dominate the reg. season with a great QB(Colts) , but it takes good caoching to win in the playoffs, so i guess Ryan is better now????, I doubt it...our coach is just a control freak who overanalyzes things in critical moments...
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Why did Belichek show no emotion? Why did Brady show no emotion ? Why did most of the Pats look upset,they were all pissssssed off at King Bel a sick.
    You don;t take a bullet for a man you hate and you don't win playoff games.

Run