Best 10 Draft Choices in Patriots' History

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Best 10 Draft Choices in Patriots' History

In Response to Re: Best 10 Draft Choices in Patriots' History:
    [QUOTE]Top 10 Tom Brady John Hannah Nick Buoniconti Mike Haynes Curtis Martin Andre Tippett Steve Grogan Drew Bledsoe Ty Law Stanley Morgan Honorable Mention Jim Plunkett Bruce Armstrong Richard Seymour Matt Light Willie McGinest Lawyer Milloy Raymond Clayborn Steve Nelson Tedy Bruschi Irving Fryar Russ Francis Julius Adams Sam Cunningham Ben Coates Kevin Faulk Ones that got away Fran Tarkenton Steve McMichael Rich Gannon Bob Golic
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

Jim Plunkett?? The #1 overall pick in 1971 was a bust with the Pats...primarily because he had no talent, and OL in front of him. He salvaged his career in Oakland. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]  Ty Law benefited from playing a team with Vrabel(sp), McGinest, Tedy Bruschi and the like. Without a strong pass rush Ty would get beaten and he played off guys and played soft. Put Ty on our current team and he gets toasted. Heck, against the Rams in the SB I would have picked off that pass as it was the result of Warner under tremendous pressure throwing a poorly thought out pass. Did I like Ty? Sure, on my Top 10 list? Sorry, no.
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting[/QUOTE]

To me, this says: "I know nothing whatsoever, about NE Patriots Football OR Players, prior to the 2001 Superbowl Season...Accidentally watched 'em maybe 5 minutes every other year if they were on while I was walking by the tv, never followed 'em...Knew the names of Drew Bledsoe and mayyyybe John Hanna, prior to '01...etc.". 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best 10 Draft Choices in Patriots' History : No Bledsoe? I'm not saying the guy is Brady or one of the best all time, but for this franchise? He's the second best quarterback we've had. This franchise would probably be in St. Lois if it weren't for him. I agree that he didn't have the commitment or love for it like Brady - I remember him being privately flown by helicopter to the airport to go on his Caribbean vacation after a tough loss during the bye week. I still think he should be top ten for this franchise.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I listed Drew in the honorable mention category. What hurt him was that he was the #1 overall pick in the 1993 draft. The top overall pick in any draft is expected to be a good player...which Bledsoe was. He was a 4 time pro-bowler, and, despite his propensity to throw untimely picks, was a damn good QB. He would have made the list if it were the top 15 best picks:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Bledsoe

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Also, It would be really cool to put together a list of the top 10 Worst Patriots draft picks as well. Anyone remember Hart Lee Dykes or Eugene Chung? 
    Posted by kman2004[/QUOTE]

Here's a list of the top ten worst Patriots' draft picks of all-time:  http://nwe.scout.com/2/859814.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best 10 Draft Choices in Patriots' History : To me, this says: "I know nothing whatsoever, about NE Patriots Football OR Players, prior to the 2001 Superbowl Season...Accidentally watched 'em maybe 5 minutes every other year if they were on while I was walking by the tv, never followed 'em...Knew the names of Drew Bledsoe and mayyyybe John Hanna, prior to '01...etc.". 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

It never ceases to amaze me how some, when unable to debate, resort to insults. Puzzling, but I see it all the time.

May I ask if I am entitled to my opinion here?

Why is it some here scream for censors to ban posters who they say insult people yet spew insults themselves? I just don’t get it.

First of I have been going to and following football, especially the Pats, all my life. Its likely Sir when our gang watched SB III with family members from NY (married in, we were stuck with em’) you weren’t even born.

Take this to the bank.

Ty was a very good football player.

Ty was also a “soft” finesse DB and was NEVER a physical player for criss sakes.

Drew was a very good football player.

Drew was also not fully committed to football. Drew should have so much more with his God given talent. He wanted more of an off season life. And I’m fine with that, it’s his life.

Neither makes my list.

FYI Top 2 busts

Irving Fryer and Kenneth Sims, both number 1s and both huge busts. We traded up to 1 to get Fryer.

How many here remember the day the Foxboro Police called the Pats during a game. The call was sent down to the coach (Berry I believe) The Police said to Berry we have a man here who hit a tree with his car but says he is a Patriot? Berry say’s can’t be we are in the middle of a game. The Police say “he say’s his name is Irving Fryer” Berry say’s “Oh wait a minute” The team looks around and sure enough Irving is gone and it was indeed him.

Worst trade back on draft day.

Bear with me. I think 1985. We swap 1st round picks with San Fran so they can move up to 16th or so. We also get San Frans 3rd rd as well.

We draft Trevor Matich C from BYU and Ben Thomas DL with the 3rd.....

San Fran drafts at 16....Jerry Rice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]Jim Plunkett?? The #1 overall pick in 1971 was a bust with the Pats...primarily because he had no talent, and OL in front of him. He salvaged his career in Oakland.      
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]
    I misunderstood the spirit of the thread. I don't remember much of Plunkett's stay with the Pats, just when he was with Oakland.

By the way, Leon Gray wasn't drafted by the Patriots.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best 10 Draft Choices in Patriots' History : I misunderstood the spirit of the thread. I don't remember much of Plunkett's stay with the Pats, just when he was with Oakland. By the way, Leon Gray wasn't drafted by the Patriots.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

You're right about Leon Gray. My mistake. He was drafted in the third round by the Dolphins, and got cut. He never played a down for them. The Pats picked him up after the 'Fins cut him, and he went on to have a great career with them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Gray

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best 10 Draft Choices in Patriots' History : It never ceases to amaze me how some, when unable to debate, resort to insults. Puzzling, but I see it all the time.   May I ask if I am entitled to my opinion here?   Why is it some here scream for censors to ban posters who they say insult people yet spew insults themselves? I just don’t get it.   First of I have been going to and following football, especially the Pats, all my life. Its likely Sir when our gang watched SB III with family members from NY (married in, we were stuck with em’) you weren’t even born.   Take this to the bank.   Ty was a very good football player.   Ty was also a “soft” finesse DB and was NEVER a physical player for criss sakes.   Drew was a very good football player.   Drew was also not fully committed to football. Drew should have so much more with his God given talent. He wanted more of an off season life. And I’m fine with that, it’s his life.   Neither makes my list.   FYI Top 2 busts   Irving Fryer and Kenneth Sims, both number 1s and both huge busts. We traded up to 1 to get Fryer.   How many here remember the day the Foxboro Police called the Pats during a game. The call was sent down to the coach (Berry I believe) The Police said to Berry we have a man here who hit a tree with his car but says he is a Patriot? Berry say’s can’t be we are in the middle of a game. The Police say “he say’s his name is Irving Fryer” Berry say’s “Oh wait a minute” The team looks around and sure enough Irving is gone and it was indeed him.   Worst trade back on draft day.   Bear with me. I think 1985. We swap 1 st round picks with San Fran so they can move up to 16 th or so. We also get San Frans 3 rd rd as well.   We draft Trevor Matich C from BYU and Ben Thomas DL with the 3 rd .....   San Fran drafts at 16....Jerry Rice.

Yikes!! I can buy the whole Drew Bledsoe was not totally committed to football thing in the off season - although the guy did play with broken fingers and had his lung filled up with blood before wanting to come back onto the field. I also remember him getting pounded into submission time and time again, but you're right - the guy didn't have Brady's type of fire or commitment.

However saying Law was a soft, finesse type of corner is the most ridiculous thing I've read on this board. This guy may of been one of the most physical corners in football. He sure the heck didn't have the speed or ability to play a finesse game very well - and he was one hell of a corner. There was a picture of him running around with his shirt off during one of the off season practices and in all honesty the guy looked like as big as a linebacker. Are you thinking of Asante Samual? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

Top 10
    Tom Brady
    John Hannah
    Mike Haynes
    Jim Plunkett (shameful what the O line did to him)
    Teddy Bruschi (winner, always made the play)
    Gronk (yes, I know he's new)
    Andre Tippett
    Jim Nance (best of his time)
    Curtis Martin
    Raymond Clayborne (way better than you young guys think he was)

Yes, I'm older than most of you.
    Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]Remember the 1997 98? loss against the Steelers. Bledsoe threw a stupid pick that weighed heavily on the outcome of that game. After the game Drew’s agent, Leigh Steinberg, visited the Patriots locker room and brought with him Ryan Leaf who had signed with Steinberg Agency prior to the NFL draft. The story was all three were having a great ole’ time laughing it up. So much so that Willie McGinest was going to go over and confront Drew about what was so funny minutes after losing a game the Pats should have won. McGinest was stopped from doing so.   Drew would always throw picks at the worst possible times in game. He couldn’t wait to get out of town and never showed up in the off season.   He had “skill” and “talent” and was a good QB. He SHOULD have been among the greatest ever but CHOSE not to be. No way he’s on my top ten.

yeah dude i totally remember that one. it was at home,  they had the bye week all but wrapped up with the lead late in the game against the steelers and getting ready to score again and put it out of reach.. it was the worst pick ever, a soft dump off intended for meggett, bledsoe didn't throw it hard enough and the steeler d-lineman picked it off and ran deep into patriot territory. the steelers in great field position scored and barely won the game, giving them home field and eventually beating the patriots 7-3 with the help of a vrabel strip sack and kordell running 35 yards on another play for the only td of the game. the patriots defensive players were pissed and a brawl nearly broke out in the locker room..

yup, that was one of the worst patriots games ever, that pick changed the whole course of the playoffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

ProFootballFocus.com graded every NFL team’s draft picks 2008-2010.  Gronk and Hernandez both made their second highest category.  Just projecting into the future, I’m willing to put Gronk and Hernandez into the top 10.  I’m equally willing to put Curtis Martin in the top 10, even though he was permanently injured in a freak accident after his first season, because he was an outstanding draft pick.

The site’s highest category, “You just drafted Tom Brady in the sixth round!” had no entries as far as I looked.  Brady is their benchmark for absolute drafting perfection in the NFL. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

[QUOTE]Also, It would be really cool to put together a list of the top 10 Worst Patriots draft picks as well. Anyone remember Hart Lee Dykes or Eugene Chung? 
    Posted by kman2004[/QUOTE]

Haha, how could you forget Eugene Chung.  Chris Canty is another bad one.  We could probably have some fun with this list. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best 10 Draft Choices in Patriots' History : Take this to the bank.   Ty was a very good football player.   Ty was also a “soft” finesse DB and was NEVER a physical player for criss sakes.
    You can repeat it as many times as you like, it won't make it true.  Law was one of the most physical CBs of his time and was THE catalyst behind the "Polian" rules after he led the way in absolutely man-handling Colts receivers in the 2003 AFCCG (which was not out of the ordinary for him).  Everything you are saying about him seems as if you're confusing him with Asante Samuel.

Just because Law had tremendous ball-hawking skills does not make him finesse.  He was fast, had great hands, had great coverage skills AND was a very physical corner and sure tackler.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Well....keep in mind that I have only been watching football since 2001. But I’ll say this for you youngins’ benefit.

The 5 yard chuck rule was written for Mel Blount, not Ty Law.

The Colt’s whined that it wasn’t being enforced by the Refs against the Patriots.

And by the Patriots it was the entire D that was dope slapping the Receivers off the line every chance they could.

Now I may be older than dirt but I still read and write fairly well. Nowhere did I say Ty Law sucked. I’m pretty sure I said he was a very good player.

By “soft” it was not my intention to infer he was some sort of pansy, he wasn’t. I believe it was Jerry Glanville who said “Football makes Men be Men” so there are no pansies in the NFL.

By soft I meant Ty never chucked at the line and usually played off receivers. I never viewed him as a big hitter either.

Would I love a young Ty Law on our Team today? Darn straight I would.

All I said is I can’t put him on my all time top 10 draft picks....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]By “soft” it was not my intention to infer he was some sort of pansy, he wasn’t. I believe it was Jerry Glanville who said “Football makes Men be Men” so there are no pansies in the NFL.   By soft I meant Ty never chucked at the line and usually played off receivers. I never viewed him as a big hitter either. 
    I understand exactly what you meant, and disagree.  He ALWAYS played up on the line to get a chuck in.  I agree that he wasn't a big hitter, but that's not a quality you want in a CB.  That's what you want in a safety.  He wasn't a big hitter but he WAS a sure tackler and never shied from contact with a bigger receiver.

Again, your analysis is exactly how SAMUEL used to play, not Law.