Best Hands on a WR "You've Ever Seen" & Best Receiving Corps

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

Re: Best Hands on a WR "You've Ever Seen" & Best Receiving Corps

In Response to Re: Best Hands on a WR "You've Ever Seen" & Best Receiving Corps:
    [QUOTE]Quasi:   Warren Sapp ranked his best WRs in the game and named Moss number one.  As he put it, "We played the cover 2 all year in Tampa Bay.  Then Moss came into the league and he was the first player that we could not defend with the cover 2.  He was the only player whoever made us change our defense."  Just like BB said.  I rest my case.
    Posted by mplsnick[/QUOTE]

Warren Sapp spoke words that weren't about how terrible the Raiders are? I am shocked and amazed. Anyway, In the best hands arguement, I gotta say, Moss has some of the most amazing catches I have ever seen. He makes catches that you wouldn't see anywhere else, other than a video game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The questions were:

Best hands on a WR;  It wasn't who is the most athletic receiver, if that were the case Moss would likely be the winner.  Randy has made some circus catches over his career but he also has dropped one or two a game, I don't remember a ball ever hitting Rice in the hands and him dropping it, that was what made him great consistancy and productivity over his entire career.

Best receiving corps;  When I hear receiving corps, that to me refers to the WR's not the backs, tightends etc...   The Houston Oilers receivers all made pro bowls over their individual careers on differnt teams and with multiple QB's, but were all together for a short period of time and put up gaudy numbers.  They had better depth than the Rams "greatest show on turf" or any of the other teams mentioned.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Endspeed. Show Endspeed's posts

I don't know where he stands as a receiver but as a person, Charlie Joiner is an A1 class act.  I met him at a Christmas party while he was with the Chargers.  He was humble and more interested in what I did for a living than talking about himself.  He really impressed me and that was about 30 years ago and I still remember it clearly.  He is a real good guy I am happy to let you know.  He also was a great receiver.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Can't expect everyone to remember every single play in the last 50 years but it's a gross oversimplification to say they can't recall Rice ever dropping a pass. Even if that were true, I remember him catching one and dropping it while running without being touched in a playoff loss to the Giants back in the 80's.
    For some reason, I also remember the great Charlie Taylor dropping a wide open fly ball from Jurgensen back before the dinosaurs ruled the...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

"Best hands" is one skill out of several.  Joey Galloway probably doesn't have the best hands in the world, but he has some speed.  Sometimes he'll force two guys down the field which makes Sammy Morris happy, and sometimes when he gets single coverage deep he'll actually catch the ball.  Welker doesn't have speed, he certainly doesn't have height, but he has good three cone shuttle agility and he runs routes well, so he's open.  Then the football hits him in the hands.  That's not a receiving corps skill but it sure makes Welker look good.  Then there's blocking downfield.  BB would rather have a good blocking tight end than a good receiving tight end.  For that matter, BB wants his running backs to block blitzers, not fumble, slam into the hole like Sammy the Bull, and lastly catch a few easy screens.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

wozzy the Oilers were running a offense no one had seen before, I could be wrong but werent they the first team to do teh run and shoot offense or whatever it was called? I would say that gave the WRs on that team an advantage. I am not saying they werent good but if those guys tried to play that same offense to day Belichick would shut it down in a second and they would do jack. The 07 Pats however broke tons of records in the modern era of football and no one could stop then in the regular season that year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Best Hands on a WR "You've Ever Seen" & Best Receiving Corps:
    [QUOTE]wozzy the Oilers were running a offense no one had seen before, I could be wrong but werent they the first team to do teh run and shoot offense or whatever it was called? I would say that gave the WRs on that team an advantage. I am not saying they werent good but if those guys tried to play that same offense to day Belichick would shut it down in a second and they would do jack. The 07 Pats however broke tons of records in the modern era of football and no one could stop then in the regular season that year.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

I won't argue the merits of the run and shoot offense, the fact is, it never won jack in terms of super bowls but the Oilers sure beat a lot of teams, made the playoffs and racked up yards.  People still run variations, including the Pats when they go 4 or 5 wide so it still has it's place.  I just chose that squad of receivers on personnel and depth alone...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from theplaintruth. Show theplaintruth's posts

The "run & shoot" (Detroit, Houston), "red gun" (Buffalo), "greatest show on turf" and variations thereof put up some staggering numbers.  The lone SuperBowl winner was St. Louis.  They all made it to the playoffs, but ran into somebody who could stop it or outscore it on that particular day.  It was fun to watch...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

In Response to Best Hands on a WR "You've Ever Seen" & Best Receiving Corps:
    [QUOTE]For me, as much as, I admire Moss, this award goes to JOHN JEFFERSON of the SD CHARGERS & GREEN BAY PACKERS .  I bore witness to JJ ripping peoples hearts out again and again with some of the most acrobatic 1 hand snags I'd ever seen.  The best being a 25 to 30 yard rope from Fouts caught at the rear endzone line.  The pass was put where only he could get it.  I was about goal post high and shot out of a cannon.  He went up and snagged the nose of the football in the palm of his hand and came down with both feet in bounds without allowing the velocity of the pass to carry him out of bound or his other hand touching the ball.  Best Receiving Corps would have to go to San Diego Cha rgers' Kellen Winslow Sr., Charlie Joiner, John Jefferson, (later Wes Chandler), and Chuck Muncie out of the backfield.
    Posted by theplaintruth[/QUOTE]

Hard to rule out Bletinikoff (sp?) with his stick'em. lol Yes, this dates me. Believe it or not and God forbid...when I was teen many moons ago....many, many, many moons ago, I was a Raiders fan. Lord knows why. This was the days of Stabler and Matuszak (sp?). No clue why I liked them then but I did. But hey, I was 14 and clueless back then. lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Laurie, I was too way back when as you say many, many moons ago. Loved all those mean SOB's Ted Hendricks,Otis Sistrunk, Lyle Alzado, Matuszak they were like a biker gang.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

I would say the  Oakland Raiders of  the Kenny Stabler group had the best hands.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Many greats.

Reed/Lofton
    Clark/Monk
    Duper/Clayton
    Stallworth/Swann
    Harrison/Wayne
    Moss/Carter
    Moss/Welker (still more to come)
    Rice/Taylor

If pressed I would take Rice Taylor over Moss/Carter.

I would also say that for pure "hands" catching, holding the ball, etc, I have seen some players.

Rice, Chris Carter, and Tim Brown were really three of the best.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Rice and Moss are two different breeds of WR, it is so hard to rank them against each other. Fundamentally Rice was a better player, but then it is much harder for a player built like Randy to be fundamentally perfect. In the same notion, there are things his physique lets him do that others simply cannot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]Rice and Moss are two different breeds of WR, it is so hard to rank them against each other. Fundamentally Rice was a better player, but then it is much harder for a player built like Randy to be fundamentally perfect. In the same notion, there are things his physique lets him do that others simply cannot.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AduLRhKSh78&feature=related

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I love homerism, especially homerism that does not give an inch when reality says it should give a mile.  It's even better when the coversation hinges on individuals of rival teams that deserve recognition but homerism disallows it.    

what good would sport message board chat be without it? 

By the way Randy Moss s ucks.  How can any of you possibly include him in anything like this when he cannot even make the all decade team?? What homers :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Nice to have you back ZB. It would difficult for me to exclude Joiner/Jefferson and Kellen Winslow (senior at TE ) with Fouts at QB and Chuck Muncie at RB from any list. The whole world knew that the Chargers had a great offense they just never had the defense that could win it all. I could be wrong, but I also thought that Rice and Brown were together with the Raiders for a short period. Rice was nearing the end of his career, however, there was a time when he was easily the best skill position player in the NFL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Theres' a difference between judging who has the "best hands" and who is the "best WR". As somebody mentioned previously, the receiver with the greatest hands that I've ever seen was Raymond Berry, the formers Patriots'  coach, and hall of fame WR of the Baltimore Colts.

Berry really worked at it. He was the consummate possession receiver. I read that he would have sawdust played all over a sideline...and would spend hours of extra practice time catching balls in the saw-dust laden ground, that were purposely thrown low...so he would have to drive to catch them.

For Pats fans who remember, Berry spend lots of practice time working with his defenders and special teamers on the art of "stripping" a ball-carrier...which was a major factor in the Pats' ascension to the 1985 AFC title, and their first SB. Its' something that I'd like to see the Patriots do more of this season. 

Heres' more on Berry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Berry and http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives/features_1999/oates
    _berry.asp

That said, the best WRs to me are the ones who produce the best yards after catch (YAC). While Randy Moss is a great deep threat, hes' not really a great YAC man. Larry Fitzgerald is incredibly dangerous anytime he catches a ball. If he can stay healthy, he may become the best WR of all-time. Jerry Rice was another great YAC man...and is currently, in my view, the greatest WR of all-time. 

As for best receiving corp, I like the groups which contain a top flight TE. A great TE creates serious match-up problems. The exception to the rule is the Patriots' Welker/Moss pairing. Welker is the perhaps best slot/possession receiver ever...while Moss is perhaps the best deep threat ever. The two compliment each other perfectly.    

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Best hands I'd have to go with Cris Carter.

Best receiving corp I'll go with the Jefferson/Joiner/Winslow 1980 Chargers

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Oh yeah, forgot about Air Coryell.

And I also forgot about . . .

Holt/Bruce (they were among the most productive)

and if they can keep it together

Fitzy/Boldin

Also, in the "hands" and great solo acts category, I am surprised Steve Largent has gotten such short shrift! And Lance Allworth nary a mention. And Michael Irvin got nothing, and he had some of the best hands I have ever seen.

Here is one name for pure hands and only hands . . .Larry Centers. More catches in his career than Largent, Ward, Irvin, Rison and a host of these other cats.

And Shannon Sharpe is in the equation too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]     Theres' a difference between judging who has the "best hands" and who is the "best WR". As somebody mentioned previously, the receiver with the greatest hands that I've ever seen was Raymond Berry, the formers Patriots'  coach, and hall of fame WR of the Baltimore Colts.      Berry really worked at it. He was the consummate possession receiver. I read that he would have sawdust played all over a sideline...and would spend hours of extra practice time catching balls in the saw-dust laden ground, that were purposely thrown low...so he would have to drive to catch them.      For Pats fans who remember, Berry spend lots of practice time working with his defenders and special teamers on the art of "stripping" a ball-carrier...which was a major factor in the Pats' ascension to the 1985 AFC title, and their first SB. Its' something that I'd like to see the Patriots do more of this season.       Heres' more on Berry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Berry  and http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives/features_1999/oates _berry.asp      That said, the best WRs to me are the ones who produce the best yards after catch (YAC). While Randy Moss is a great deep threat, hes' not really a great YAC man. Larry Fitzgerald is incredibly dangerous anytime he catches a ball. If he can stay healthy, he may become the best WR of all-time. Jerry Rice was another great YAC man...and is currently, in my view, the greatest WR of all-time.       As for best receiving corp, I like the groups which contain a top flight TE. A great TE creates serious match-up problems. The exception to the rule is the Patriots' Welker/Moss pairing. Welker is the perhaps best slot/possession receiver ever...while Moss is perhaps the best deep threat ever. The two compliment each other perfectly.    
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE] texas-this guy thinks he is the best.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/14/andre-rison-is-still-looking-for-attention/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Hands on a WR "You've Ever Seen" & Best Receiving Corps : texas-this guy thinks he is the best. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/14/andre-rison-is-still-looking-for-attention/
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

Didn't Rison say he's going to start his on hall of fame? I also remembered he went up and played in the CFL for a couple seasons and wasn't even good there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Hands on a WR "You've Ever Seen" & Best Receiving Corps : Didn't Rison say he's going to start his on hall of fame? I also remembered he went up and played in the CFL for a couple seasons and wasn't even good there.
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]him,and the eagles old receiver freddy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Sorry if it has been said already I didn't read the entire thread (50 lashes with a wet noodle). Anyone remember the magic markers of Dolphins? Dan MORON-O throwing to Mark Duper and Mark Clayton.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Hands on a WR "You've Ever Seen" & Best Receiving Corps : texas-this guy thinks he is the best. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/14/andre-rison-is-still-looking-for-attention/
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! Isn't Rison the guy who had his house burnt down by his girlfriend? Answer: Yes! http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n8_v86/ai_15547822/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Here's my image of Raymond Berry.