Best LB Group in NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Best LB Group in NFL

I say SF...Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Aldon Smith. This trio will be good for many years to come.

Smith being one who was a favorite on the draft boards here last year.

He has 9.5 sacks in 12 games...second only to Von Miller (who the Pats had no chance of getting)

Any other groups you like better?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Re: Best LB Group in NFL

The Redskins trio of Kerrigan,Orapko(the closest thing to Willis in the league)and Fletcher may not be the 49'ers but they are close and will get better as the rookie Kerrigan and a young Orapko continue to mature with Fletcher a savvy,hard working MLB.They really are that good.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

These are all good guesses. Baltimore, maybe still, also.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Best LB Group in NFL:
    [QUOTE]I say SF...Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Aldon Smith. This trio will be good for many years to come. Smith being one who was a favorite on the draft boards here last year. He has 9.5 sacks in 12 games...second only to Von Miller (who the Pats had no chance of getting) Any other groups you like better?
    Posted by mcboyd22[/QUOTE]

SF hands down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Pittsburgh, in my mind, is still the class of the NFL, even if they are aging. Woodley, Farrior, Timmons, and Harrison is about as strong four across as there has been in a while.

It compares, favorably (though not there, lol) with the Giants of the 1980s, with Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson, LT, and Harry Carson. I mean, what is there? 22 pro-bowls on that squad? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Thinkin' overall zbellino's right...Man, I always just love that Pitt LB corp.  Mad skill.  

In terms of narrowing it down to 3...  I'd go (no exact order): Pittsburgh, San Fran, and then Washington who imo just gets the slight nod on top of Houston.  It's not simply talent for me...  Gotta go:  Talent, Balance of talent, depth of talent (or even just "potential", if and when an injury occurs), and finally Age.  

Pittsburgh:  Age-wise it's tough with Harrison rounding 33yo.  But man, He's just simply a stud LB.  I know some people have said here that they don't like his head-hunting psychotic-ness...BUT you would KILL to have him suit up in a Pats uni; You would.  Not everyday that'cha get a guy that combines just TOTAL, no flawed and no short-cuts Defense (Not just his pass-rush skills and tackling skills, which are always in the upper echelon of the top 5-10% of OLBs...It's his PDs and FFs, which are always in the top 1-3 players @ OLB); Then ya combine that with sheer ferocity, intimidation, Total game awareness and extreme IQ (reading pass-plays exceptionally & head-smarts to KNOW that stripping tangled ball-carriers is non-glamorous, as big a play as anything), Good with own Pitt team and community...

~Pittsb's scary LB-wise.  Woodley with rookie Chris Carter learning behind him...  Then James Farrior...  Then Larry Foote (Inj.) and 25 yr old Lawrence Timmons... Then finally Harrison with just 2nd year guy, Jason Worilds as his understudy.  That's pretty nice.

San Fran:  In terms of youth...AND youth with simply unimaginably long-term ALL-Pro LB corp potential...yup=Them, hands down.  Can't give 'em that yet though.  But to have: Ahmad Brooks at 27 yrs old as you're "geezer LB", considering Navorro Bowman's in his 2nd year, Patrick Willis in his 5th year, and Aldon Smith is a rookie (w/ 9.5 sacks).  That's a nice outlook imo.

Redskins:  Kerrigan (very "complete package" OLB) and Orakpo (same: Very "complete package" OLB) flanking the middle guys of London Fletcher and Rocky McIntosh (btw...unless you're Ray Lewis's caliber ILB, I'll always weigh finding a skilled player at BOTH OLB spots, much more).    

In the end, I just can't place Baltimore OR Houston on the same level as looking AS good, and as stable, and as balanced.  W/ Baltimore, With Ray Lewis @ 37yo (38 before next season), and IF and when Lewis retires (although he seems to just get better rounding his 40th birthday), and IF and when then, Terrel Suggs EVER gets hurt...That's largely it for The Ravens.  W/ Houston, They are REALLY close, but depth of talent weighed w/ current talent's sum career resume...just not yet.  But yea...I'd take:  Connor Barwin, Brian Cushing, Demeco Ryans, and Brooks Reed for my future LBs...         

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Best LB Group in NFL:
    [QUOTE]Pittsburgh, in my mind, is still the class of the NFL, even if they are aging. Woodley, Farrior, Timmons, and Harrison is about as strong four across as there has been in a while. It compares, favorably (though not there, lol) with the Giants of the 1980s, with Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson, LT, and Harry Carson. I mean, what is there? 22 pro-bowls on that squad? 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

+1     only in Pittsburgh would Larry Foote ride the bench

other LB corps I like:
    - /> Denver: Von Miller, Dumervil, and D.J. Williams will all be getting a lot more of the attention they deserve should Denver win the west
    - /> Baltimore: Ray Lewis' new understudy McLain is very good, as is guy-you-haven't-heard-of-but-maybe-should Jarret Johnson, and of course Terrelle Suggs
    - /> Chicago: Urlacher is aging, but Lance Briggs is very underrated and I'd take Pinoiasomoa over a lot of other linebackers in the league

up-and-coming:
    - /> Miami: Dansby and Wake aren't a bad foundation, especially with Bell at SS, and Smith and Davis at CB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best LB Group in NFL : +1     only in Pittsburgh would Larry Foote ride the bench other LB corps I like: - /> Denver: Von Miller, Dumervil, and D.J. Williams will all be getting a lot more of the attention they deserve should Denver win the west - /> Baltimore: Ray Lewis' new understudy McLain is very good, as is guy-you-haven't-heard-of-but-maybe-should Jarret Johnson, and of course Terrelle Suggs - /> Chicago: Urlacher is aging, but Lance Briggs is very underrated and I'd take Pinoiasomoa over a lot of other linebackers in the league up-and-coming: - /> Miami: Dansby and Wake aren't a bad foundation, especially with Bell at SS, and Smith and Davis at CB.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Excellent point. I almost raised it myself, but didn't want to go on too long. I know Foote has been around, but man, what a super-sub.

I think, RE: Baltimore, Terrel Suggs, outside of his attitude, is probably the most complete LBer in the game. Ware is pretty complete as well, but I would take my chances running at him, and Suggs sets the edge as well as anyone in football. JJ is great. 

Great mention too. Denver is totally under the radar, and with Dumervil and Von Miller, I don't know how that's possible. And yeah, Miami (and their "D") are criminally under-rated. This is a team with a nearly elite defense, that's lost four games (3 of them on the road) by a combined score of 6 points. In none of those games did their "O" score more than 19 points. 

I hope they never find a QB ... because they would be trouble instantly if they did. Heck, NE can barely stop Chad Bleeping Henne as it stands, lol. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

As has been said, Steelers.  You just don't run on teams like Pitt or Bal, gotta find another way to win.  Timmons doesn't get the national attention he deserves, neither does Woodley imo.  When I watch the Steelers play, it makes me yearn for the days of Willie Mac anchoring the edge then bullrushing the very next snap.  They scheme Harrison in unblocked half a dozen times a game, did you see that hit he put on McCoy?  

Edit: Don't mean to veer of course, but the best overall LB is without a shadow of a doubt Demarcus Ware.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

Mayo Ninc Spikes Fletcher Guyton, maybe Slater soon

just not Tracy White

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Look at where these teams are in the NFL...Pittsburgh, Baltimore, SF, Houston...all leading their divisions or tied.

Washington...poor QB play, but great young LB's that will get better.

When you look at the Pats LB corps, defense in general....you almost have to appreciate Brady even more. Only Mayo would get playing with the above teams. One of our best LB's was a Steeler cast-off...Vrabel.....

I say all defense in the draft...maybe alternate Alabama defender, LSU defender, etc...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

The Skins, we will see for ourselves. Oralpo, Kerrigan and Fletcher.

Thats pretty stout. London hitting anything that moves over the middle, and Kerrigan and Orakpo bringing the heat!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

The Pats:  Mayo, Spikes, Nink, Guyton, Fletcher.  Definitely the best.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Fletch is old but his first pro bowls came in 09 and 10 so he still has it.

i would want him a future guy, but for pure tackling ability, it doenst get much better.

I do question why it took 12 years for him to make it. This is why I dont think mayo is all-pro even though he is very good. Making tackles doesnt really get you in the pro bowl as evidence by London not making it his 1st 12 years as a tackling machine...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

"I couldn't find London on a map if they didn't have the names of the countries. I swear to God. I don't know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that. I know London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him. That's the closest thing I know to London. He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London. I'm sure that's a coincidental name."

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Fletcher was painfully under-rated in Buff, he put together some really nice seasons on some HORRIBLE defenses. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Thinkin' overall zbellino's right...Man, I always just love that Pitt LB corp.  Mad skill.   In terms of narrowing it down to 3...  I'd go (no exact order): Pittsburgh, San Fran, and then Washington who imo just gets the slight nod on top of Houston.  It's not simply talent for me...  Gotta go:  Talent, Balance of talent, depth of talent (or even just "potential", if and when an injury occurs), and finally Age.   Pittsburgh:  Age-wise it's tough with Harrison rounding 33yo.  But man, He's just simply a stud LB.  I know some people have said here that they don't like his head-hunting psychotic-ness...BUT you would KILL to have him suit up in a Pats uni; You would.  Not everyday that'cha get a guy that combines just TOTAL, no flawed and no short-cuts Defense (Not just his pass-rush skills and tackling skills, which are always in the upper echelon of the top 5-10% of OLBs...It's his PDs and FFs, which are always in the top 1-3 players @ OLB); Then ya combine that with sheer ferocity, intimidation, Total game awareness and extreme IQ (reading pass-plays exceptionally & head-smarts to KNOW that stripping tangled ball-carriers is non-glamorous, as big a play as anything), Good with own Pitt team and community... ~Pittsb's scary LB-wise.  Woodley with rookie Chris Carter learning behind him...  Then James Farrior...  Then Larry Foote (Inj.) and 25 yr old Lawrence Timmons... Then finally Harrison with just 2nd year guy, Jason Worilds as his understudy.  That's pretty nice. San Fran:  In terms of youth...AND youth with simply unimaginably long-term ALL-Pro LB corp potential...yup=Them, hands down.  Can't give 'em that yet though.  But to have: Ahmad Brooks at 27 yrs old as you're "geezer LB", considering Navorro Bowman's in his 2nd year, Patrick Willis in his 5th year, and Aldon Smith is a rookie (w/ 9.5 sacks).  That's a nice outlook imo. Redskins:  Kerrigan (very "complete package" OLB) and Orakpo (same: Very "complete package" OLB) flanking the middle guys of London Fletcher and Rocky McIntosh (btw...unless you're Ray Lewis's caliber ILB, I'll always weigh finding a skilled player at BOTH OLB spots, much more).     In the end, I just can't place Baltimore OR Houston on the same level as looking AS good, and as stable, and as balanced.  W/ Baltimore, With Ray Lewis @ 37yo (38 before next season), and IF and when Lewis retires (although he seems to just get better rounding his 40th birthday), and IF and when then, Terrel Suggs EVER gets hurt...That's largely it for The Ravens.  W/ Houston, They are REALLY close, but depth of talent weighed w/ current talent's sum career resume...just not yet.  But yea...I'd take:  Connor Barwin, Brian Cushing, Demeco Ryans, and Brooks Reed for my future LBs...         
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

I think Harrison's 38; a freak.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best LB Group in NFL : +1     only in Pittsburgh would Larry Foote ride the bench other LB corps I like: - /> Denver: Von Miller, Dumervil, and D.J. Williams will all be getting a lot more of the attention they deserve should Denver win the west - /> Baltimore: Ray Lewis' new understudy McLain is very good, as is guy-you-haven't-heard-of-but-maybe-should Jarret Johnson, and of course Terrelle Suggs - /> Chicago: Urlacher is aging, but Lance Briggs is very underrated and I'd take Pinoiasomoa over a lot of other linebackers in the league up-and-coming: - /> Miami: Dansby and Wake aren't a bad foundation, especially with Bell at SS, and Smith and Davis at CB.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Anybody who's played Miami this yr know they're no walk in the park. Anybody who still has to play them to get in the PS ... has a problem.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Houston.

Demeco, Cushing, Williams and Reed/Barwin are really good.