Best Off-Season Moves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Best Off-Season Moves

By no means do I intend an all-incompassing list of the best 2009 off-season moves. But, heres' 10 which come to mind (though not necessarily in this order):

1.) Philadelphia Eagles Acquire LT Jason Peters:
          Perhaps second only to QB, LT is the most important position to fill on a pro-football team. That the Eagles were able to land a pro-bowl calibre LT for just a 1st and 4th round pick this year (the 28th and 121st overall selections), and a 6th round choice in 2010, seems like a steal. Of course, the Eagles had to also sign Peters to a lucrative contract extension as part of the price they paid. Nonetheless, could Philly have acquired a better player OT in the draft at #21, or 28?
         If the 27 year old Peters plays to form, his selection should solidify the Eagles OL, and provide Donavan McNabb with plenty of time to do what he does best...throw the deep ball. That said, the two-time pro-bowler did give up a whopping 11.5 sacks last year...though most analysts attribute his poor play to being out of shape, and unhappiness over his contract;

2.) Philadelphia Eagles Trade-up to Draft WR Jeremy Maclin: The Raiders' foolish selection of WR Darrius Heywood-Bey at #7, allowed perhaps the best WR available, Jeremy Maclin, to be within range of the Eagles. Sitting at #21, Philly wisely traded up to #19 to snare him. It turned out to be a fortuitous move, as their divisional rivals, the NY Giants, were about to trade-up to #20 to take Maclin, just ahead of them. The cost for the Eagles' trade-up was just a 6th round pick. 
         The speedy Maclin is an excellent YAC (yards after catch) WR, and doubles as a dangerous kick-returner. Maclin should have an immediate impact. He, along with WR DeShawn Jackson, give Philly a pair of young, dangerous game-breakers.      

3.) Seattle Seahawks Trade Second Rounder for Broncos' 2010 #1:
         Great move by the Seahawks to ship their 37th overall selection (used to select CB Alphonso Smith) to the rebuilding Denver Broncos, for their #1 pick in 2010. Since Denver does not appear on paper to be a playoff calibre team this season, this could turn out to be a "Jarod Mayo-type" trade for Seattle.  

4.) Broncos Trade Cutler:       

Though most pundits have savagely ripped Josh McDaniels and the Denver Broncos for their handling, and eventual trading, of alleged "franchise QB, Jay Cutler", I thought that the Broncos came out of the situation smelling like a rose. They were able to get two (2) #1 draft choices, along with their starting QB, Kyle Orton, from the Chicago Bears...for a talented, though overrated, primadonna of a QB. 
         With the first of these acquired #1 picks, the 18th selection overall in the 2009 draft, the Broncos wisely selected DE/OLB Robert Ayers of Tennessee. Mike Mayock of the NFL Network has stated that Ayers was "his favorite player in the draft...and has the potential to be NFL defensive rookie of the year". I concur with Mayock...and was hoping that Ayers would fall to the Patriots at #23.

5.) Kansas City Chiefs Trade 34th Overall Selection For Matt Cassel:
        Anytime a QB-challenged team can acquire a potential franchise QB, without having to surrender a #1 draft choice, its' a win. Anytime a team wagers high draft picks and huge money on a young QB, there is some risk involved. But, Cassel gave an strong indication of what he can do last season, in leading the New England Patriots to an 11-5 record. 
         Many pundits have discounted Cassel's performance last season because he played with a good Patriots' team. Nonetheless, Cassel seemed to grow in confidence, and improve as the season wore on. Unlike rookies Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez, Cassel has shown that he can manage a game, win a game with his talents if necessary, and lead an NFL team.

6.) Pittsburgh Steelers Resign DE/OLB James Harrison: 
         A key signing, as Harrison was the heart of the Steelers' NFL best defense last year. Though in his early 30s, the NFL Defensive Player of the Year is a proven play-maker, and sack artist. The fact that Harrison seemingly signed for less than market value money shows the reverence that players have for the Steeler organization

7.) New England Patriots Trade 26th Overall Pick to Packers

In one of the better draft trades, the Patriots traded their 26th (used to select OLB Clay Matthews) and 159th overall picks to the Green Bay Packers for the 41st, 73rd, and 83rd overall selections. 
         The Pats then used the 41st overall pick to select CB Darius Butler, the 73rd overall pick was flipped to Jacksonville for the Jags second round pick in 2010, and the 83rd pick was used to gamble on the rahabilitating and troubled WR Brandon Tate...who supposedly has first round-like talent.
         When you consider that the Pats probably had CB Darius Butler rated ahead of LB Matthews on their draft board, this move was a steal.

8.) New England Patriots Trade 89th Overall Pick to Titans

The Patriots traded their 89th overall selection to the Tennessee for the Titans' second round pick in the 2010 draft.
         Though the Titans finished with a 12-4 record last year, their division looks much tougher from top to bottom this season. That, along with the free agency loss of star DT Albert Haynesworth, makes it unlikely that the Titans will have similar success in 2009. The Titans used the 89th pick to select speedy TE Jared Cook of South Carolina. 
         Meanwhile, the Patriots appeared to be in need of a TE, as the contracts of their underachieving incumbents, Ben Watson and David Thomas, expire at the end of the 2009 season. But, the Patriots may have remedied that need by acquiring the talented but underachieving Alex Smith, from Tampa Bay.
         Smith was rated second among the 2005 TE draft class by Ourlads and Mel Kiper, and was selected in the third round, 71st overall, out of Stanford. After an extremely promising rookie year, in which he had 41 receptions (by contrast, Ben Watson caught just 22 balls in 2008), Smith's role in the offense gradually declined. The acquisition of TE Kellen Winslow Jr by the Buccaneers made him expendable. 
         Inconsistency has dogged Smith throughout his NFL career. It remains to be seen whether this was a function of poor QB play in Tampa Bay.
         Finally, this trade puts the Pats in great position for the 2010 draft...as they now own three second round picks. 

9.) Denver Broncos Draft RB Knowshon Moreno
    :
         John Elway was one of the greatest QBs in NFL history. But, despite his prodigious talents, Elway could not win a title until the Broncos developed a running game. Though age had eroded his skills, Elway would finally win back-to-back titles in the twilight of his career. But, RB Terrell Davis was the player most responsible for those titles. 
         Moreno could be McDaniels' Davis. With Jay Cutler gone, and game manager Kyle Orton running the offense, Moreno will play a key role in the Broncos' prospects for 2009. Though McDaniels brought in several fire sale type RBs to split duty, Moreno is the real deal...and the solution to his RB dilemma.

10.) NY Jets Trade-up For Mark Sanchez
    :
         I put this one last because I have mixed feelings about this move. The Jets had to find a QB. Last years' Messiah, Broadway Brett Favre, proved to be little more than a glorified has-been. Kullen Clemens, a second round pick in 2006, has shown that he can't play. Brett Ratlliff, though having shown some potential, was a not yet ready for prime time player. QB Eric Ainge is Danny Ainge's nephew.
         Realizing this, the Jets boldly traded their 17th and 52nd overall draft selections, along with current players Ratliff, DE Kenyon Coleman, and reserve FS Abram Elam, to move up 12 spots to the #5 overall selection, and take USC QB Mark Sanchez. 
         Many pundits feel that Sanchez is the best QB prospect in this draft. He appears to exude confidence, is personable, and is seemingly a high character guy. If a movie was being made about a rookie QB becoming The Man in NY, the handsome Sanchez would seemingly be perfect for the role. 
         But, there are questions. Sanchez is leaving college in his junior year, with just one full season as a college starting QB at USC. His skyrocketing climb up the draft boards can largely be attributed to personal salesmanship, and a brilliant performance against Penn State in the 2009 Rose Bowl. 
         Like Clemens, at 6'2", hes' a tad short for an NFL QB. Judging from the Jets' current roster, and the huge amount of money that will be invested in him (likely in the neighborhood of 6 years, $75mil., with $36mil. guaranteed), he is going to be asked to start immediately.

THIS IS A HUGE GAMBLE. I applaud the Jets for getting a potential franchise QB, at a seemingly very reasonable rate. But, I question the wisdom of throwing him immediately to the wolves, by starting him from day one. Such a move could damage his confidence. They would be wise to acquire a veteran to ease the pressure on their young QB.
         If Sanchez doesn't pan out, the Jets will be stuck with their second straight cap-busting contract...for next to nothing in return. Furthermore, had the Jets stayed at #17, WR Jeremy Maclin would have fallen to them...and  another good prospect would have been available to them at #52.
         As you can see, the total cost of this maneuver could be catastrophic to this hard luck franchise. 

Thoughts? Other good moves which I may have omitted? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Re: Best Off-Season Moves

I know I'm a bit bias, but I think the acquisition of Bodden and Springs will be as good a pickup as there is. It fills a huge need that we had, and also will provide great training for Wilhite, Wheatley, and Butler.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

What? no mention of T.O. to Buffalo. He'll help for a short while until he gets disgruntled. At least for now the Pats will have to account for him when he plays.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Chicago trading for Cutler, easily. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Where's Albert Haynesworth in all this?

Another retarded contract from Daniel Stein . . .   er . . .   Snyder effectively wrecks two teams. Tennessee was a mirage last season anyway, but without their anchor on defense will be almost unrecognizable in an improving AFC South, and Washington's continued efforts to purchase cohesion, while lucrative for the handful of players who hoodwink Snyder, will never create a team in D.C.
    From the perspective of every other team in the league, that has to be the best move.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

How about the best move that has'nt happened yet;  JT or JP coming to NE for 2010 2nd round draft pick(s)?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

What exactly are the Jets trying to do this season? Are they trying to make the playoffs or are they trying to build a team? It looks to me like the Bart Scott acquisition over Eric Barton would be an upgrade, but the rest lateral moves and depth lost. Here’s a list I found of players acquired and lost for the Jets.

Jets Acquired:
    Bart Scott, LB
    Lito Sheppard, CB
    Jim Leonhard, FS
    Donald Strickland, CB
    Marques Douglas, DE
    Mark Sanchez, QB
    Shonn Greene, RB
    Howard Green, NT
    Matt Slauson, G
    Larry Izzo, ST

Jets Lost:
    Laveraneus Coles, WR
    Chris Baker, TE
    Eric Barton, ILB
    CJ Mosley, DE
    Bret Ratliff, QB
    Abram Elam, S
    Brett Favre, QB
    Hank Poteat, CB
    David Bowens, OLB
    Kenyon Coleman, DE
    Mike Nugent, K
    Cody Spencer, ILB
    Marcus Mason, RB
    Noah Herron, RB

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

#12 coming off IR and rippin'! a new ahole throughout the league

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Chicago trading for Cutler, easily. 
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

I knew someone would bring this up. Do any of you really believe that the acquisition of Cutler makes the Bears an instant contender? They still have holes on the DL and OL. They still have needs at WR. It certainly didn't help that they gave up two #1 draft choices for him. 

Sorry...but I don't see how trading for this overrated primadonna makes them significantly better.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I know I am bias, but the Pats have done awfully well this off-season, here is the breakdown

Pats Additions
    CB Shawn Springs
    CB Leigh Bodden
    TE Chris Baker
    TE Alex Smith
    HB Fred Taylor
    WR Joey Galloway
    WR Greg Lewis
    LS Nathan Hodel 
    OLB Tully Banta-Cain
    SS Patrick Chung
    DT Ron Brace
    CB Darius Butler
    OT Sebastian Vollmer
    WR Brandon Tate
    LB Tyrone McKenzie
    OG Rich Ohrnberger
    OL George Bussey
    LS Jake Ingram
    DT Myron Pryor
    DL Darryl Richard
    QB Tom Brady (From Injury)

Pats Subtractions
    CB Ellis Hobbs
    HB LaMont Jordan
    WR Jabar Gaffney
    LS Lonnie Paxton 
    LB Mike Vrabel
    QB Matt Cassel 
    CB Deltha O'Neil 

The Pats have filled all the voids created by departed players, minus Vrabel (JT maybe) and added numerous players to shore up weak spots.  A+ for BB, Casario, and Floyd Reese

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I also forgot WR/HB/Wildcat QB Julian Edelman

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Where's Albert Haynesworth in all this? Another retarded contract from Daniel Stein . . .   er . . .   Snyder effectively wrecks two teams. Tennessee was a mirage last season anyway, but without their anchor on defense will be almost unrecognizable in an improving AFC South, and Washington's continued efforts to purchase cohesion, while lucrative for the handful of players who hoodwink Snyder, will never create a team in D.C. From the perspective of every other team in the league, that has to be the best move.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Wheres' Haynesworth in all this?? Re-read the title of this thread..."Best Off-Season Moves". As you alluded to in your post, this was not a good move for the Redskins.

I can see your point how other teams may view it as a "good" move for them...as the Haynesworth transaction weakened both the Titans (talent wise, and the Redskins (from a cap standpoint). But, it was a bad thing for the league...as it throws salart scales out of wack.

The Haynesworth transaction had negative reprecussions for the Patriots. How? Because it made it much more expensive for the Pats to try to resign, or franchise, NT Vince Wilfolk. This in turn led to the Pats trading down, and selecting NT Ron Brace with the 40th overall pick.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]How about the best move that has'nt happened yet;  JT or JP coming to NE for 2010 2nd round draft pick(s)?
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

Peppers is not coming to the Patriots. Hes' too expensive. Jason Taylor is a good possibility. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I don't see how Cutler improves the Bears at all.

He might be a little more free-lance than either of the stiffs the Bears have been employing, but they've still got no receivers and will have to run the ball effectively and play staunch defense to stay with Green Bay and Minnesota. I don't know that Chicago is tough enough through the middle (on both sides of the ball) to do that. I see Da Bears as a .500 team at best.

As for the salary structure, I view the Haynesworth deal as an anomaly that is only useful as a bargaining chip if some other owner (and granted, it will only take one) is fool enough to follow Snyder down the garden path. Everybody can't play for the Redskins, and unless the cap is obliterated in the next collective bargaining agreement, the best teams will continue to be those that understand positional value and don't break the bank for a player -- any player -- at the expense of franchise philosophy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emilycuba33. Show emilycuba33's posts

[QUOTE]     I knew someone would bring this up. Do any of you really believe that the acquisition of Cutler makes the Bears an instant contender? They still have holes on the DL and OL. They still have needs at WR. It certainly didn't help that they gave up two #1 draft choices for him.       Sorry...but I don't see how trading for this overrated primadonna makes them significantly better.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Glad to see somewhat else thinks the same of Cutler as I do.  There have always been rumors out that he was/is a "me" type of player and was certainly unhappy in Denver when Shanahan was fired and spoke openly to the media about his not liking what was taking place.  Certainly didn't appear that he ever had any intentions of embracing McDaniels and change.  McDaniels being in the "Pats" system where it is a team concept would have had a very difficult time dealing with a player like Cutler.  Good for Denver for trading him!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]What exactly are the Jets trying to do this season? Are they trying to make the playoffs or are they trying to build a team? It looks to me like the Bart Scott acquisition over Eric Barton would be an upgrade, but the rest lateral moves and depth lost. Here’s a list I found of players acquired and lost for the Jets. Jets Acquired: Bart Scott, LB Lito Sheppard, CB Jim Leonhard, FS Donald Strickland, CB Marques Douglas, DE Mark Sanchez, QB Shonn Greene, RB Howard Green, NT Matt Slauson, G Larry Izzo, ST Jets Lost: Laveraneus Coles, WR Chris Baker, TE Eric Barton, ILB CJ Mosley, DE Bret Ratliff, QB Abram Elam, S Brett Favre, QB Hank Poteat, CB David Bowens, OLB Kenyon Coleman, DE Mike Nugent, K Cody Spencer, ILB Marcus Mason, RB Noah Herron, RB  
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The Jests are trying to contend and rebuild at the same time. Thats' why they'll do what they usually do...fail. Like you, I don't see how all these personnel moves will make them appreciably better in 2009.

They had better pray that Sanchez turns out to be a franchise QB. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I also forgot WR/HB/Wildcat QB Julian Edelman
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

Speaking of the "Wildcat", I almost included Miami's selection of QB/WR Pat White at #44 in my list. He may turn into another "Slash", a/k/a, Cordell Stewart. If so, hes' going to create difficulties for defenses.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I don't see how Cutler improves the Bears at all. He might be a little more free-lance than either of the stiffs the Bears have been employing, but they've still got no receivers and will have to run the ball effectively and play staunch defense to stay with Green Bay and Minnesota. I don't know that Chicago is tough enough through the middle (on both sides of the ball) to do that. I see Da Bears as a .500 team at best.

RESPONSE: Agreed.

As for the salary structure, I view the Haynesworth deal as an anomaly that is only useful as a bargaining chip if some other owner (and granted, it will only take one) is fool enough to follow Snyder down the garden path. Everybody can't play for the Redskins, and unless the cap is obliterated in the next collective bargaining agreement, the best teams will continue to be those that understand positional value and don't break the bank for a player -- any player -- at the expense of franchise philosophy.

RESPONSE: Agree to a point. As I have previously stated in a response to a different post above, the idiotic contract given to Haynesworth may have already had reprecussions with the Patriots. How? It could impact negotiations to resign Vince Wilfolk...and made it more expensive to franchise him. All this may have helped pursuade the Pats to use their 40th overall pick to select NT Ron Brace.

Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

That Phins draft is another one I don't get, very high risk. Hartline, Turner, and Nalbone were all late round or undrafted type players. Smith and Davis are talented but risky with their attitude. White doesn't have a position. Chris Clemons is the only pick in the draft I like as a combination of talent, value, and risk. The value then in their draft is in the defensive secondary. That's important with 4 games a year playing either Moss or TO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

We'll see about Cutler.  I am apt to believe he will do well in Chicago.  However, with all of the riches that Denver got for him (even if I did think it was a bad idea to trade him, they did get paid well) it does not appear that they took advantage of it in the draft. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

[QUOTE]That Phins draft is another one I don't get, very high risk. Hartline, Turner, and Nalbone were all late round or undrafted type players. Smith and Davis are talented but risky with their attitude. White doesn't have a position. Chris Clemons is the only pick in the draft I like as a combination of talent, value, and risk. The value then in their draft is in the defensive secondary. That's important with 4 games a year playing either Moss or TO.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]I agree about the receivers who I think were overdrafted.  They are going to use White in a version of the Wildcat featuring more passing. The key to their draft is Smith who may not be quick enough to play corner. But Parcells is a good judge of talent so they may have some sleepers like the tight end.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]That Phins draft is another one I don't get, very high risk. Hartline, Turner, and Nalbone were all late round or undrafted type players. Smith and Davis are talented but risky with their attitude. White doesn't have a position. Chris Clemons is the only pick in the draft I like as a combination of talent, value, and risk. The value then in their draft is in the defensive secondary. That's important with 4 games a year playing either Moss or TO.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

On the same token, whose ever heard of the offensive lineman that the Patriots selected? Who knows how these players will turn out?

Initially, I agreed about Davis being a risk. But, I have confidence in Parcells not to take a guy who is an airhead, and doesn't care about football.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]We'll see about Cutler.  I am apt to believe he will do well in Chicago. 

RESPONSE: I'm not necessarily saying that Cutler will be terrible. I am saying hes' overrated. I don't see the Bears being transformed into a legitimate contender, just by his acquisition. They also gave up too much to get him. 
         Had they not made this trade, the game-breaking WR which they so badly need, Jeremy Maclin, could have been theirs. Plus, they would still own their #1 pick in 2010.

However, with all of the riches that Denver got for him (even if I did think it was a bad idea to trade him, they did get paid well) it does not appear that they took advantage of it in the draft.

RESPONSE: Really? I thought that selecting DE/OLB Robert Ayers pick with the 18th overall selection, acquired from the Bears, was an excellent move. The Broncos also own the Bears' #1 pick in 2010. 

Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]     On the same token, whose ever heard of the offensive lineman that the Patriots selected? Who knows how these players will turn out?        Initially, I agreed about Davis being a risk. But, I have confidence in Parcells not to take a guy who is an airhead, and doesn't care about football.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

That's what they've said about every offensive (and most defensive) linemen that the Pats have taken in the past 10 years. I agree though that Davis and Smith have a ton of talent. The worries though I had about them before the draft though still apply, but now they were two of the first three picks for the Phins. It's not as risky a draft as what the Jets did, but still, this is a draft that could quickly turn into nothing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Ayers will be a great Sam LB in the 3-4 system on first and second down and then as a down end or even tackle on third down. The Broncos did a great job in bringing in talent for their LB corps and defensive backfield. The defensive line is the only concern. They added Darrell Reid who is more of a third down player and Ronald Fields who isn't much better than a backup NT. They did get Chris Baker as an undrafted free agent. I wouldn't be surprised if he started and was an every down player. Baker was dismissed from the Penn State team for fighting a couple of times. But he's a talented player and probably would have been a third round pick without the problems at Penn State. For the Broncos, though, he has experience at the end position and nose in a 3-4 system. He was a steal to go undrafted.