Big Question: Patriots cornerbacks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Big Question: Patriots cornerbacks

I think the real issue in the secondary is not the corners or the talent level of any player back there. It is the loss of Rodney Harrison and his ability to be the "QB" of the defense. He made the young players around him better and limited the mistakes made by his secondary. He was The Sheriff and it has been tough to replace his presence on the field.

Hopefully Merriweather can tie his physical ability and speed together with 3 years of experience and become the player we desperately need him to be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

id say that is a very fair assessment of the defensive situation for the pats...it will be interesting indeed and i cant wait!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I agree with everything, but this: 

"I do think Tom Brady and company are going to score a ton of points," Williamson said. "So, in a way, that balances things out. That pass defense does not have to be elite in order for New England to win games."

Either this was an error or he really believes the Pats won't score a ton of points. 

I think Tom will lead the league in TDs thrown. The pass defense would be top 5 if the Pats had a pas-rusher. Insert Shawn Crable and I don't see how the Pats could possibly miss out on making it to the Superbowl. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Big Question: Patriots cornerbacks:
    I agree with everything, but this:  "I do think  Tom Brady  and company are going to score a ton of points," Williamson said. "So, in a way, that balances things out. That pass defense does not have to be elite in order for New England to win games." Either this was an error or he really believes the Pats won't score a ton of points.  I think Tom will lead the league in TDs thrown. The pass defense would be top 5 if the Pats had a pas-rusher. Insert Shawn Crable and I don't see how the Pats could possibly miss out on making it to the Superbowl. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

um...he said the pats will score alot of points but their lack of pass rush and young secondary is what will keep other teams in games...which is a generally agreeable statement...especially because no one knows what to expect from crable or any of the other pass rushers

so i wouldnt exactly be making those super bowl plans yet

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I agree with everything, but this:  "I do think  Tom Brady  and company are going to score a ton of points," Williamson said. "So, in a way, that balances things out. That pass defense does not have to be elite in order for New England to win games." Either this was an error or he really believes the Pats won't score a ton of points.  I think Tom will lead the league in TDs thrown. The pass defense would be top 5 if the Pats had a pas-rusher. Insert Shawn Crable and I don't see how the Pats could possibly miss out on making it to the Superbowl. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Come on 49. Insert Shawn Crable and you can't figure out how we don't make the Superbowl.

Only 1 question....Who is Shawn Crable?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Big Question: Patriots cornerbacks : Come on 49. Insert Shawn Crable and you can't figure out how we don't make the Superbowl. Only 1 question....Who is Shawn Crable?
    Posted by TrueChamp

He sure is putting a lot of faith in Crable... lol

Pass rush will improve with the addition of Gerrard Warren and/or the D linemen taken in this years draft.  That all these people have issues with the PAT's outside linebackers as being the root cause for no pass rush only proves they don't understand the simple premise of the 3/4 defense and how it works.  We didn't have a pass rush last season because we traded away a dominant defensive lineman in Seymour before last season, not because the backers and D backs were bad pass rushers...

I suggest anyone who doubts this go back to watch some game film from last season.  The majority of our defensive sets were a 2/4/5 defense when we were playing bad and traditional 3/4 when we played well and were healthy enough to manage it.  Warren and Wilfork upfront, Tully and Colvin or Burgess playing with a hand down like defensive ends and the remaining 2 linebackers and 5 D backs.  No beef upfront opens up an offensive lineman and tightends to pick up blitzers, it's that simple. 

People have underestimated the loss of Seymour and instead have chosen to blame our outside linebackers... the guy writing the article is clueless.  Bodden might be the best "big" corner in the league, we cut Springs because Bodden was everything we hoped Springs would have been.  Butler is silky smooth and looks like an Asante Samuel clone with better fundamentals and brings more in run support.  Devin will be another 1-A starter, he has Law measurables and BB is a cornerback coach at heart.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

it will definitely be interesting because the phins and jets definitely improved their passing attack...but in the end i think the lack of a pass rush and the inexperience on the field in the secondary will hurt the pats...but like the author of the thread points out...the offense will still score plenty...so the pats will still win games...but its a very valid question how much the youth in the secondary will effect the team

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

We have the talent, we have another year of experience together so the D will be better. The question is has it improved enough to keep us in games and win games. The post makes assumptions that the fins and the jets improve through their adds. This could happen but it also could be a bust. 

I like the improvements we have this year with TB healthy, Wilfork signed, O-line depth, Welker ahead of all expectations, Randy on record saying this is "his" year, the addition of Holt and solid running game.

I am excited to watch the team this year

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

The secondary was solid last year with no pass rush and 3 new bodies on the field and basically ZERO pass rush against good offenses. You know, I have to chuckle at a Dolphin dork being here, repeatedly saying the same thing over and over and over and over..... and when you look at Miami's situation, even with Danbsy in a new 3-4 system and no legit NT on the line, your pass rush is arguably WORSE going into this season.   Pat Kirwan focused on this recently and he's dead on. And your secondary is not only as questionable, it's a lot thinner than this one in NE, especially at Safety. Your secondary was AWFUL last year.   Awful. I have no idea how this Yeremiah Bell character went to a Pro Bowl. You have lots of new pieces in terms of coaching, personnel and depth issues.  Are Davis and Smith talented? Yes. But, stop acting like Miami is in better shape. You look like a fool trolling here constantly. Look in the mirror. Also, I am not convinced NY improved their passing attack with Sanchez needing to throw more (loss of #1 rushing attack) and Holmes in a new system missing the first 4 games of the season. I am not buying it. You are so quick to proclaim other teams as slam dunk improvments, and pretend things don't align for the Pats who have the best coaching staff in the division. Your act is getting really old and it's only July.
    Posted by russgriswold

so now who is following who around the board crusty?

actually starks was quite effective at his time at NT, although admittedly...he is a better 3-4 DE...and if you are worried about dansby learning the system...then im worried about hernandez becoming dwight clark...are you catching my analogy here crusty?

and while i am worried about strong safety...whomever wins the job...couldnt possibly play any worse than gibril wilson did last year...not possible...and yeremiah bell is a nice player...not great...but he is better than either safety the pats can produce

as for the phins pass rush...we only had a small taste of cameron wake last year(he will be a beast on the pass rush) and getting rid of porter and taylor is addition by subtraction...as far as depth goes...you obviously didnt pay attention as we got tim dobbins from the chargers who is a very good player and our draft was comprised of mostly front 7 guys...ie...positions that you are more likely than not to have an immediate impact on...also very excited to see koa misi out there as a hybrid de/LB

and actually...i dont laud the improvements of other teams over what the pats did...i think the jets will stay about the same for all the new faces they brought in...but the phins made a concerted effort to get better and IMO, they did...especially if they avoid the injury bug that so plagued them last year

but look on the bright side crusty...ill be around for as long as you want me to be!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Sweet backpedal, Beatrice. It's what we all expected. Back to the mail room, son. Your stack is piling up.
    Posted by russgriswold

what?

arent you tired of getting schooled yet?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Question: Patriots cornerbacks : This is a wierd thread. Crable will help us to a Superbowl and we are challenged to go back and watch some 2009 game film of Colvin.

Sorry One that was a typo, supposed to be A Thomas...