Biggest Needs To Address In 2014 Draft

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Biggest Needs To Address In 2014 Draft

In response to FishTaco64's comment:
    [QUOTE]

DT and Safety, of course CB could be a big need too if Talib walks. I also think they pounce if a TE of a similar skillset to Hernandez is available to them. 

[/QUOTE]

You mean like a cleaner?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Per NEPD

OFFENSIVE TACKLE:

1. Jake Matthews, Texas A&M

2. Taylor Lewan, Michigan

3. Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama*

4. Cameron Erving, Florida St.*

5. Antonio Richardson, Tennessee*

Notes: Jake Matthews and Taylor Lewan have seemingly secured top-ten draft positions at this point, while Cyrus Kouandjio also appears likely for the first round, following in D.J. Fluker’s footsteps. Cameron Erving should go fourth as a lanky, athletic tackle with considerable upside as a blindside protector. Antonio Richardson’s outing against Jadeveon Clowney last week exacerbated lingering concerns about his ability to man the left tackle position in the NFL.

OFFENSIVE GUARD:

1. Zack Martin, Notre Dame

2. David Yankey, Stanford*

3. Gabe Jackson, Mississippi St.

4. Cyril Richardson, Baylor

5. Anthony Steen, Alabama

Notes: Zack Martin plays left tackle for the Irish, but his build is probably better suited to guard at the next level, a position he’s somewhat overqualified for. Yankey played left tackle for the Cardinal last season, but he’s been forced into left guard duty this year. Behind him is Gabe Jackson, a massive, athletic guard with an SEC pedigree. Cyril Richardson is one of the biggest linemen in the class, but his awareness in pass protection led to a fourth-place ranking. Anthony Steen is a reliable option, but may lack the measurable to earn a second-round draft pick.

CENTER:

1. Travis Swanson, Arkansas

2. Weston Richburg, Colorado St.

3. Tyler Larsen, Utah St.

4. Bryan Stork, Florida St.

5. Gabe Ikard, Oklahoma

Notes: This is a position where the first four players are somewhat interchangeable. Swanson may have the edge owing to his size and SEC experience, but Richburg has also impressed against major programs. All of these players, with the exception of Ikard, could be drafted as high as the fourth round, with the Oklahoma pivot probably projecting as more of a fifth-or-sixth-round pick.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE:

1. Louis Nix, Notre Dame*

2. Ra’Shede Hageman, Minnesota

3. DaQuan Jones, Penn St.

4. Timmy Jernigan, Florida St.*

5. Anthony Johnson, Louisiana St.*

Notes: Louis Nix is the centerpiece of this year’s defensive tackle class, a nimble nose tackle with the ability to fit into either an even or an odd front. However, the other defensive tackles in the top five also have a shot at the first round, with Hageman and Jones getting a slight edge over Jernigan and Johnson because they could realistically project into a variety of defensive schemes, whereas the latter two are a little bit more limited, preferably playing three-technique in a 4-3 defense.

CORNERBACK:

1. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon*

2. Bradley Roby, Ohio St.*

3. Loucheiz Purifoy, Florida*

4. Jason Verrett, Texas Christian

5. Darqueze Dennard, Michigan St.

Notes: Bradley Roby’s inconsistent performances in 2013 have dropped him behind Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, although the Ohio State defender possesses the higher upside of the two and is more naturally suited to man coverage. Purifoy’s physical tools create the impression that, with a focus on defense, he could be a quality starter, while Verrett rounds out the top four, a group which could all go in the first round. Dennard is competing with the likes of Kyle Fuller and Marcus Roberson for draft positioning.

SAFETY:

1. Ha’Sean Clinton-Dix, Alabama*

2. Curtis Lofton, Louisiana St.

3. Lamarcus Joyner, Florida St.

4. Antone Exum, Virginia Tech

5. Deone Bucannon, Washington St.

Notes: This is a particularly poor class of safeties. Clinton-Dix is really the only possibility for the first round, but no one should confuse him with a prospect of Mark Barron’s caliber. The next two players are in close competition, with Lofton as a physical, reliable strong safety and Joyner as more of an undersized hybrid cornerback/free safety with return ability. Exum plays cornerback at Virginia Tech, but could be drafted a safety. He is a first-or-second-round talent recovering from microfracture surgery.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Ignoring the noise:

Rd 1 & 2 - OL/DL - depending on which is the better football player available, then 2nd rd whichever not chosen in first

Rd 3 - TE - See this potentially moving to 2nd pick depending

Rd - 4 OL/DL depth picks

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Projected Potential Positions of need/depth: DT, OG/C, TE, CB, SS, ILB, QB

Potential Top 100 Overall Players that I like at each Position:

DT:  Ego Ferguson LSU, Timmy Jernigan FSU, Kelcy Quarles South Carolina, Danny Shelton UW, Ra'Shede Hageman Minn, Dan McCullers (PE's boy), Da'Quan Jones PSU

OG/C: Zack Martin ND, David Yankey Stanford, Gabe Jackson MSU, Anthony Steen Alabama, Xavier Su'a-filo UCLA

TE:  Jace Amaro TTU, CJ Fiedorowicz Iowa, Arthur Lynch Georgia,

CB: Bradley Roby OSU, Darqueze Dennard Mich ST, EJ Gaines Mizzou, Wayne Lyons Stanford

SS:  Antone Exum VT (also a CB), Craig Loston LSU, Jordan Richards Stanford

ILB:  AJ Johnson Tenn, Max Bullough Mich St, Chris Borland Wisc, Shayne Skov Stanford

QB:  AJ McCarron Alabama, Aaron Murray Georgia, Derek Carr Fresno State, Tajh Boyd Clemson

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In order to keep this team competitve after brady leaves in 3 years or so i would do whatever it takes to get Mariota and stash him like GB did with Rodgers.

For my money mariota has the best upside of all the QB's coming out.

Is it the biggest need in the short term? Absolutely not but if this team wants to stay competitive after TB they need to somehow snag this kid IMHO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In order to keep this team competitve after brady leaves in 3 years or so i would do whatever it takes to get Mariota and stash him like GB did with Rodgers.

Is it the biggest need in the short term? Absolutely not but if this team wants to stay competitive after TB they need to somehow snag this kid IMHO.

[/QUOTE]

seems in order to do this, BB would need to trade into the top 10 (doubtful) and pay him as a top 10 pick (very doubtful).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The problem would be getting up inside the Top 3 or so (he has a chance to go #1 overall), which is not something that I think they'll do, or would be able to do.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The problem would be getting up inside the Top 3 or so (he has a chance to go #1 overall), which is not something that I think they'll do, or would be able to do.  

[/QUOTE]

You are most certainly correct about getting in the top 3 I think if you check the 1st page of your draft thread I thought the kid was going #1. That being said i would  do it based on the salary cap expanding in 2015. i would forgo the #1 pick in 2014 and perhaps 2015 for this kid. they can supplement the roster from FA's plus they seem to be able to find guys from the 4th round down to contribute and fill holes.

Bottom line in the NFL you need a top flight QB to be good year in and year out. I know it's a pipe dream but it would give them the ability to stay championship competitive after Brady.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are most certainly correct about getting in the top 3 I think if you check the 1st page of your draft thread I thought the kid was going #1. That being said i would  do it based on the salary cap expanding in 2015. i would forgo the #1 pick in 2014 and perhaps 2015 for this kid. they can supplement the roster from FA's plus they seem to be able to find guys from the 4th round down to contribute and fill holes.

Bottom line in the NFL you need a top flight QB to be good year in and year out. I know it's a pipe dream but it would give them the ability to stay championship competitive after Brady.

[/QUOTE]

If I'm Jax or TB... or even Minnesota, I'm not giving up the #1 overall pick for a couple of picks that will likely be outside the Top 20... I'm going all in on my potential frachise guy.  As you point out, teams live or die by the quality of their QB and neither team has a anyone that projects as a top tier type and TB will likely have an entirely new GM/Coach combo after the season, so they'll want to start out with a bang.

I do like your thought process though, i.e. trying to identify/develop the future now, while Brady is the main guy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If I'm Jax or TB... or even Minnesota, I'm not giving up the #1 overall pick for a couple of picks that will likely be outside the Top 20... I'm going all in on my potential frachise guy.  As you point out, teams live or die by the quality of their QB and neither team has a anyone that projects as a top tier type and TB will likely have an entirely new GM/Coach combo after the season, so they'll want to start out with a bang.

I do like your thought process though, i.e. trying to identify/develop the future now, while Brady is the main guy.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah i know it's a pipe dream. Just out of curiosity what do you think it would take to get in the top 3 if they are drafting after 25 this year? This year and next years 1 and ?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah i know it's a pipe dream. Just out of curiosity what do you think it would take to get in the top 3 if they are drafting after 25 this year? This year and next years 1 and ?

[/QUOTE]

Personally I don't think they have the ammo to get the job done, even if they wanted to. Trading into the Top 6 like ATL did to get Julio is one thing (costing them 2- Rd 1 picks, 1- 2nd and 2- 4th's), but the value of the pick increases tenfold when it's a franchise QB at play, IMO.  

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Once again I would request the Patriots front office to solve as many of the team needs in free agency BEFORE the draft. This team has a lot of depth, and this year specifically needs to be about keeping our own at reasonable deals.

First thing to do:

- Restructure contracts of Mankins and Wilfork. I am by no means an expert at this, so here is how I see it but please correct my numbers if wrong.

Vince makes 12.5 million next year, 5 million is dead money if he is cut, which I would not be willing to do yet. Assuming all is going well with his rehab and he plan on being back no later than the 6 week PUP I would restructure him to a deal that keeps him a Patriot for life, understanding that he will be a 2 down player from now on who shares snaps with someone (Sopoaga for example) at all times so he can be healthy for playoffs. A 4 year 16 million deal with 6 million guaranteed (1m more than he would get if cut) seems like a fair restructure. Team saves 8.5m over keeping him and 1m over what they'd have gotten by cutting him.

Mankins makes 20 million in salary and another 15 million from his signing bonus. So 3 years and 35 million for a 32 year old who is no longer a top 3 guard but is still top 10-15 and deserves to finish his career here. A restructure at 5 years 30 million with like 17.5m guaranteed (so 2.5m more than what is left now) would allow this team to save about 5-6 million a year. He would still be solid through age 35-36 and retire a Patriot.

Arrington is owed 8.5 in salary next 3 with like another 4.5 in guaranteed money. I would restructure him at 5/10m asap with say 5m guaranteed over 4.5. That would be useful for a nickel CB who is soon to be a dime guy if Ryan keeps improving the way he has.

Second thing to do:

With those savings sign our own guys to extensions:

1. Talib: 5/50 if he comes back after the BYE as elite as he was the first 5 games. Maybe 4/32 if he is just very good but not great. Obviously none of us want to consider him being hobbled the rest of this season.

2. McCourty: 6/36 He is not quite Goldson as far as name/rep (he got 6/41) but I would prefer the smarter DMC who can slide to CB in a pinch of the bigger/harder hitting Dashon.

3. Spikes: He is one of the best run-stuffing 2 down ILB's in the game. but should NOT be paid like a 3 down player. So take market value for a 3 down LB'er (Mayo got 7/50) and give him 70% of it. I am fine paying Spikes 6 years 24-27 million.

4. Solder: Extension to start after 2014 season in the 7/63 range would be fair

Third thing to do:

Free agency

Alex Mack: I would pay a good sized contract to the Cleveland center, 27 and in his prime. Brady needs a guy like this his last few years. Connolly can backup both C and RG (hopefully Cannon can be the starting RG). Wendell can be cut if he doesn't want the veteran min.

I see us signing Emmanual Sanders to a Lloyd type contract, maybe 4/16 or something like that. I would also look into trading Kenbrell, as Boyce still may have more upside and be a sleeper since nobody saw him play, while Kenbrell is now known around the league and made a splash but in the long-run might not be better than Sanders or Boyce. Getting a 4th rd picki for him would be solid.

After Mack (and Sanders a little bit) I wouldn't break the bank on anyone. The team won't have the $ leftover after the extensions to do much anyhow.

If Sopoaga shows he doesn't deserve 2-3m a year in the enxt 2 years and is cut I would look at Linval Joseph at like 3-4m a year for 4-5 years. If Buchanan isn't viewed as a future impact player, playing every rush down over Nink, then I would see if Jared Allen would take a big pay

Finally we get to the draft.

With pretty much all positions in decent shape this is what I would do:

Round 1 - if we keep it I would go TE, ILB or OG/OT. Ebron of UNC or Seferian-Jenkins of Washington would both be awesome complements to Gronk at TE, With Hooman our #3. A.J. Johnson would be a great ILB to pair with (or replace) Spikes and there are multiple guard/tackle prospects who could start right away if Cannon has a ceiling of only elite backup and with Vollmer's health this is a good idea.

Round 2 - I'd see BB trading down as always. A safety has to be grabbed in rd 2 as well as one of the above mentioned positions.

Round 3 - whatever of those 3 positions they don't get in rd 1/2. I could also see them going after a player who dropped for off-field reasons like RB Dyer (although with AHern situation they may shy away from this)

The team could also use a DE if Bequette is a bust and should consider a new young QB and trading Mallett if he can bring back a pick in the 50-70 range.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Interior lineman on both sides of the ball really. More cracks at SS and a CB because you can never have enough. I would also draft TEs and WRs. Another prospect QB.

OG/C

DT

SS

TE/WR

QB

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Rame-

what you want to do is admirable, but the Pats simply do not have the cap space.

if Vince is cut, the dead money hit is $3.6, but the cap savings is $8m.

it is flipped for Mankins, dead money is $8m, but savings is only $2.5

I would have concerns extending them both 3-4 years out into their 34 and 35 years of age.

Talib, McCourty and SPikes numbers presented are really meaningless, what is the guarantee for each player?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Once again I would request the Patriots front office to solve as many of the team needs in free agency BEFORE the draft. This team has a lot of depth, and this year specifically needs to be about keeping our own at reasonable deals.

First thing to do:

- Restructure contracts of Mankins and Wilfork. I am by no means an expert at this, so here is how I see it but please correct my numbers if wrong.

Vince makes 12.5 million next year, 5 million is dead money if he is cut, which I would not be willing to do yet. Assuming all is going well with his rehab and he plan on being back no later than the 6 week PUP I would restructure him to a deal that keeps him a Patriot for life, understanding that he will be a 2 down player from now on who shares snaps with someone (Sopoaga for example) at all times so he can be healthy for playoffs. A 4 year 16 million deal with 6 million guaranteed (1m more than he would get if cut) seems like a fair restructure. Team saves 8.5m over keeping him and 1m over what they'd have gotten by cutting him.

Mankins makes 20 million in salary and another 15 million from his signing bonus. So 3 years and 35 million for a 32 year old who is no longer a top 3 guard but is still top 10-15 and deserves to finish his career here. A restructure at 5 years 30 million with like 17.5m guaranteed (so 2.5m more than what is left now) would allow this team to save about 5-6 million a year. He would still be solid through age 35-36 and retire a Patriot.

Arrington is owed 8.5 in salary next 3 with like another 4.5 in guaranteed money. I would restructure him at 5/10m asap with say 5m guaranteed over 4.5. That would be useful for a nickel CB who is soon to be a dime guy if Ryan keeps improving the way he has.

Second thing to do:

With those savings sign our own guys to extensions:

1. Talib: 5/50 if he comes back after the BYE as elite as he was the first 5 games. Maybe 4/32 if he is just very good but not great. Obviously none of us want to consider him being hobbled the rest of this season.

2. McCourty: 6/36 He is not quite Goldson as far as name/rep (he got 6/41) but I would prefer the smarter DMC who can slide to CB in a pinch of the bigger/harder hitting Dashon.

3. Spikes: He is one of the best run-stuffing 2 down ILB's in the game. but should NOT be paid like a 3 down player. So take market value for a 3 down LB'er (Mayo got 7/50) and give him 70% of it. I am fine paying Spikes 6 years 24-27 million.

4. Solder: Extension to start after 2014 season in the 7/63 range would be fair

Third thing to do:

Free agency

Alex Mack: I would pay a good sized contract to the Cleveland center, 27 and in his prime. Brady needs a guy like this his last few years. Connolly can backup both C and RG (hopefully Cannon can be the starting RG). Wendell can be cut if he doesn't want the veteran min.

I see us signing Emmanual Sanders to a Lloyd type contract, maybe 4/16 or something like that. I would also look into trading Kenbrell, as Boyce still may have more upside and be a sleeper since nobody saw him play, while Kenbrell is now known around the league and made a splash but in the long-run might not be better than Sanders or Boyce. Getting a 4th rd picki for him would be solid.

After Mack (and Sanders a little bit) I wouldn't break the bank on anyone. The team won't have the $ leftover after the extensions to do much anyhow.

If Sopoaga shows he doesn't deserve 2-3m a year in the enxt 2 years and is cut I would look at Linval Joseph at like 3-4m a year for 4-5 years. If Buchanan isn't viewed as a future impact player, playing every rush down over Nink, then I would see if Jared Allen would take a big pay

Finally we get to the draft.

With pretty much all positions in decent shape this is what I would do:

Round 1 - if we keep it I would go TE, ILB or OG/OT. Ebron of UNC or Seferian-Jenkins of Washington would both be awesome complements to Gronk at TE, With Hooman our #3. A.J. Johnson would be a great ILB to pair with (or replace) Spikes and there are multiple guard/tackle prospects who could start right away if Cannon has a ceiling of only elite backup and with Vollmer's health this is a good idea.

Round 2 - I'd see BB trading down as always. A safety has to be grabbed in rd 2 as well as one of the above mentioned positions.

Round 3 - whatever of those 3 positions they don't get in rd 1/2. I could also see them going after a player who dropped for off-field reasons like RB Dyer (although with AHern situation they may shy away from this)

The team could also use a DE if Bequette is a bust and should consider a new young QB and trading Mallett if he can bring back a pick in the 50-70 range.

[/QUOTE]

+1   Isn't Mallett a free agent after this year?  If so his trade value is zero unless the Pats sign him to an extension first.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

As it stands, both lines could use a good boost of talent and depth.  A big interior DL to take the torch from Wilfork eventually, and O line could use some help too.  Other than that, maybe a hard hitting SS with solid defensive run/pass skills. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yep...

Mariota had a slow start to the season, with low completion rates. He's been making strides and his completion rate to date is now up to 64%. What's impressive is his TD-INT ratio, which season-to-date is 20-0.

I believe he is competing for the #1 QB spot vs. Bridgewater, whose comp rate is 9 pts higher and has a 23TD-2INT ratio.

Other potential first rounders are of course Manziel, Boyd, McCarron. Excitement of Boyd is fading. I believe Manziel is the #3 QB.

If you look at NFL rankings, bottom is JAX, followed by TBB and MIN. Each of the three will be looking for a QB. They also know that PHI will be looking for a QB. If any of the top QBs slip, perhaps teams such as HOU, PIT, even STL may take a swipe. JAX, TBB and MIN will have a diffcult time resisting picking up a top 3 QB.

A couple of UNDER THE RADAR QBs

Mannion, Oregon State: 6'5", 69% Comp rate, 30 TDs to 1 INT (this kid may be a 1st rnd surprise). I have my DVR set for their game tonight.

Petty, Baylor: 6'3", 69% Comp rate, 18 TDs, 1 INT