Biggest Personnel Mistake Besides Amendola

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Biggest Personnel Mistake Besides Amendola

Picking up Leon Washington and letting Danny Woodhead go

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Re: Biggest Personnel Mistake Besides Amendola

YES I totally agree!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

I think we let Woodhead go because we have Vereen

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think we let Woodhead go because we have Vereen

[/QUOTE]

Yeah that and probably price tag but it would've been nice to have him here as a Vereen replacement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigsmellybear. Show bigsmellybear's posts

Anything having to do with an ex-Jet is usually a disaster waiting to happen....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Woodhead has been terrific in San Diego this year. The Chargers coaching staff has pointed out to the media that he was one of the smartest players they have seen (no doubt Pats coaching contributed to this). Rivers loves the guy. Considering how cheap he would have been to keep I beleive this was a bigger mistake than letting Welker go. If the Pats had known Hernandez would soon become a murderer than letting Welker go would have been a huge mistake but Hernandez looked like a superstar in the making. The next Dallas Clark with more speed. I wish Welker was here as much as anyone but a Hernandez, Gronkowski, Amendola trio looked pretty formidable to me in the offseason.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can understand letting Woodhead go due to Vareen-but if the Wes Welker thing was due to an Ego thing between him and BB then it makes it yough to swallow and explain a million or so a year difference between DA and WES-esp. if WW goes on to win a SB with the Broncos?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Being 5-1 I would think we would be talking about the biggest personnel success. To each his own.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Vereen 589K in 2013

Woodhead 750K plus incentives in 2013 - 1.75 million in 2014

Kind of a no brainer, not to mention SD isn't making the playoffs in that division.

[/QUOTE]

You don't have to cut Vereen to keep Woodhead. Running back is the most dangerous position in the NFL. Woodhead is a great 3rd down back and he did not hurt them at all last year. Ridley easily ran for over 1000 yards with Woodhead there. Rivers is having a great season and the consensus out here is that Woodhead is one of the biggest reasons. They can run a more uptempo style because of Woodhead. They may not make the playoffs because they had some horrible drafts over the past 5 years and they are rebuilding but I believe they are a dangerous team, just ask Indy right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can understand letting Woodhead go due to Vareen-but if the Wes Welker thing was due to an Ego thing between him and BB then it makes it yough to swallow and explain a million or so a year difference between DA and WES-esp. if WW goes on to win a SB with the Broncos?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was BB's ego, not Welker and his agent trying to hose the Pats. -_-

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Why keep two 3rd down backs? One would be wasted, BB made the decision to go with Vareen. If Vareen was healthy, Vareen would be having a better season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why keep two 3rd down backs? One would be wasted, BB made the decision to go with Vareen. If Vareen was healthy, Vareen would be having a better season.

[/QUOTE]

Becuase running back is a brutal position and good football players who are cheap, are a bargain at almost any position. They have two slot recievers on the roster right now and if Hernandez had not been an idiot they may have had three. Over a 16 game schedule a huge percentage of your back ups become starters. Vareen is not really a 3rd down back in my opinion. It's only because he has good hands we think of him that way. He looks like an every down back to me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Becuase running back is a brutal position and good football players who are cheap, are a bargain at almost any position. They have two slot recievers on the roster right now and if Hernandez had not been an idiot they may have had three. Over a 16 game schedule a huge percentage of your back ups become starters. Vareen is not really a 3rd down back in my opinion. It's only because he has good hands we think of him that way. He looks like an every down back to me.

[/QUOTE]

Agree, and the price tag to keep Woodhead was cheap enough. At the same time he would make 2 million to be a back up. Still one I wish we kept, as if Welker leading the league in td's isn't bad enough, we see Woody as the best RB on what looks like a pretty good offense in S.D.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

When Vereen is back, Woodhead will be an afterthought.  

Vereen is - dare I say it? - a better version of Kevin Faulk (who, btw, is deserving of every greatest accolade due a Patriot player).  Vereen will be the go-to guy in the clutch and will be the answer to blitzing Ds.  

It's not about numbers; it's about getting it done when you're asked to.  On that level, I'd say he's as valuable a weapon for Brady as is Gronk.  Need him back, BIG time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to bigsmellybear's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anything having to do with an ex-Jet is usually a disaster waiting to happen....

[/QUOTE]

Woodhead was an ex-Jet when the Pats picked him up.

And had less cred in the league at the time than Leon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

I think cutting Daniel Fells in light of the Gronk uncertainty was a mistake.  He and Hooman would have made a nice pair of TE's to add to our Offense.  These two guys are not stars but they are steady players who catch and block well. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Leon over Woodhead b/c of the presence of Vareen is MINOR compared to

1. Not going the extra 750k for Emmanual Sanders (no Boyce pick)

3. Desmond Bryant and his 5 years 34 million (only 2m in '13) deal with Clevelnad being in foxboro instead of the older, injured similar salary in '13 Tommy Kelly

3. The two 'if you can't beat 'em join 'em vets we coulda had for cheap

- Pollard

- Osi

4. Akeem Spence (DT who sacked Brady in week 3) over Duron Harmon

5. Dobson over Collins, Larry Warford over Dobson. So Dobson, Warford, Ryan and Spence are our 4 picks.

6. Daryl Smith veteran ILB signed to a 2 year deal at slightly higher than the 1 year close to vet min deal he got with Baltimore

7. Trade for a TE over attempting to use Ballard/Sudfield when Heranandez was cut, or at least have kept Fells 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Safeties: McCourty, Pollard (over Adrian Wilson), Tavon Wilson, Gregory (restructured or else cut), Ebner

Corners: Talib, Dennard, Arrington (given a slightly smaller $ deal), Ryan, Cole

'Backers: Hightower, Spikes, Daryl Smith, Mayo, 50% Nink, Fletcher

DE's: Jones, Osi, Buchanan, 50% Nink, Bequette

DT's: Desmond Bryant, Wilfork, Akeem Spence, Love or Deaderick, Vellano

Offense replace Boyce with Sanders, Green, Zusevics or Barker with Warford at OG, Mulligan with Fells at TE

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Woodhead is one of the few guys who showed up in our last SB.  Apart from that, I have another theory worthy of study by NFL teams everywhere.....a player that can take the field is always better than a player injured and inactive.  ALWAYS.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Letting Wes Welker get away
    Letting Brandon Lloyd go

Letting Woodhead go.  Yes we have Vareen, but we don't.

Why did we pick up Leon Washington? Woodhead could have used this spot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

The biggest personnel mistake is allowing BB to remain as GM. So many head scratching decisions by Belichick year after year. And b/c we have TB and winning records every year, BB's ineptitude as GM is tolerated. As bad as Belichick's draft record is, his efforts in free agency are even worse. The last several years of Brady's career will be wasted thanks to BB's rigid value approach.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

i remember before last season they almost got dashon goldson and red bryant and reggie wayne

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

I think one of the worst decisions in the past couple of years is drafting Hightower in the 1st.  THat dude is slow, and worthless. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Woodhead is one of the few guys who showed up in our last SB.  Apart from that, I have another theory worthy of study by NFL teams everywhere.....a player that can take the field is always better than a player injured and inactive.  ALWAYS.

[/QUOTE]

Astute

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Welker and Woodhead departures.  Still not over it.