Bill Belichick- Coach of the year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Bill Belichick- Coach of the year?

He makes some solid points for Belichick being named "Coach of the Year":

This is from yahoo.com:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bill-belichick-nfl-39-coach-england-patriots-nab-220000407--nfl.html

COMMENTARY| The New England Patriots were not supposed to be able to do this in 2013. Remember, they got worse in the offseason. They let Wes Welker go to Denver. They let Brandon Lloyd go to a "B" movie career. They letAaron Hernandez go to deal with some legal issues. They didn't have Rob Gronkowski, then they did, and then they didn't again. Meanwhile, they put a defensive Pro Bowl team on injured reserve, with Vince WilforkJerod Mayo andTommy Kelly all going down for the year.

The New England Patriots are supposed to be in decline. That's why, if they can win out and hold on for the top seed in the AFC, Bill Belichick should be the NFL's coach of the year.

Forget the offseason. You only need to look back to early October to see just how far this team has come. That's when the Cincinnati Bengals held it out of the endzone for the first time since 2009, and ended Tom Brady's 52-game touchdown streak.

The New England offense was in chaos. Brady completed less than 48-percent of his passes, for just 197 yards that day. LeGarrette Blount led the Patriots with just 51 yards on the ground. He, by the way, also lost a fumble.

It appeared that Belichick's offseason gamble had failed. He turned away from the reliable Welker in favor of brittle Danny Amendola, who was playing in just his second game of the season. He had no reliable outside threat to replace Lloyd since rookies Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins were leading the galaxy in drops at the time. And despite a 4-1 record, with their toughest games still in front of them it seemed that the Patriots' stranglehold on the AFC East was in jeopardy.

But that was on October 6th.

Two months later, not only does Belichick still have a firm grasp on the division, his team now controls its own destiny for the AFC's number-one seed.

It's a remarkable turnaround, and one that required no shortage of miracles along the way.

First, there was Brady's Houdini act just a week later to escape from sure defeat against the New Orleans Saints. Behind by four, Brady drove New England 70 yards with less than a minute to play, culminating in a 17-yard game-winner to Thompkins. It was a win so unlikely, only half of the fans in the stadium were left to see it.

Then there was that impossible comeback against the Broncos, trailing by 24 points at the half, only to beat Peyton Manning 34-31 in overtime. Or how about that nonsensical win against Cleveland, which required two touchdowns in the final 61 seconds, with the team's first successful onside kick since the Clinton administration sandwiched in between?

So plenty of fortune smiled down on Belichick this season. But let's not pretend the ball didn't bounce the other way as well. A call here or there against New England could have turned around any of those incredible wins, but blown or ill-timed calls at the end of games with the New York Jets and Carolina Panthers also led New England to a pair of losses.

In overtime against New York, the Jets missed a potential game-winning field goal in overtime, only to see the Patriots whistled for the league's first example of pushing on the line. The penalty gave the Jets new life, and they'd make their next field goal to win.

But at least that call was correct. Against Carolina, a flag was thrown in the endzone as Rob Gronkowski was mugged on the Patriots' final chance to score and take the lead. But instead of having one final try from the one-yard line, the flag was picked up, and the Panthers handed the win.

So it's been a year of highs and lows for Belichick's group, but as the regular season comes to a close, his team is doing what it almost always does, playing its best football when it matters most.

Brady's thrown for almost 1,900 yards and 12 touchdowns in the last five games. Shane Vereen has returned from injury to become one of the NFL's most dangerous passing backs, hauling in 40 passes in just five games. Julian Edelman is 7th in the NFL with 76 catches, three more than Welker. But most importantly, at 10-3 and with that head-to-head victory over Denver, New England once again sits in the drivers' seat in the AFC.

And it's not just the offense. Belichick's defense isn't what it was before losing the triumvirate of Wilfork, Mayo and Kelly, but rookie free-agent defensive linemen Joe Vallano and Chris Jones have proven to be stellar finds. Aqib Talib, who Belichick brought back on a one-year deal, has been one of the NFL's best cornerbacks. Second-round pick Jamie Collins has begun to make an impact, especially in sub-packages, and 2012 first-rounder Chandler Jones has blossomed into a force.

This defense doesn't shut teams down without all those stars, but Belichick has consistently put it in position to make plays when it counts most.

Just in the last three games, the New England defense held Denver to 14 points after the first quarter, kept Houston off the scoreboard for the final 11:31 while Brady engineered a comeback, and somehow held on against Cleveland while the offense outscored the Browns 16-7 in the final quarter.

The defense mirrors the team as a whole; it plays best when it matters most. That's the hallmark of a Belichick coached team, and 2013 has been one of its best examples.

There's plenty of football left to play, and the Patriots have no easy road. After facing the Dolphins in Miami, Belichick's group must travel to Baltimore before finishing at home against the Buffalo Bills. But if this team manages to hold on, and does clinch the AFC's top seed, it would cap a coaching job that's among Belichick's best.

And that's worthy of coach of the year.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Bill Belichick- Coach of the year?

In response to HeygangLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just puked in my mouth.

[/QUOTE]

Being a Jets fan,you must be used to it.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's weird. Who would have thought pyewk could pyewk on itself.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lmao

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Babe, can you just stay on the thread?  I think BB has done a s**t job; we have no running game, no D, bad in-game adjustments.  He has always sucked as  a GM and drafter, now he is bad as a coach - just hanging on the ropes and when Tom leaves - its the knock out punch for hi  BS!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Heygan.gLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's a common trait among Jets fans.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

To me...it's honestly not even close.

Who has had to do more? Of those who have actually had to do more, or close to the same amount, how many are #1 in their conference?

Lost Welker and Hernandez before the season.

Gronk was late, then gone again.

Ridley fumbled his way to the bench.

And they are 10-3, and in 1st place.

Wilfork, Mayo, Gronk - all done for year. Debateably 3 of your 4 most important players on the team. Certainly 2 out of 3, I view Mayo as one of the top 4, but acknowledge some won't agree.

Also lost Kelly and Vollmer. 2 SIGNIFICANT starters.

3 rookie WRs, and very little familiarity with offensive skill positions.

Vereen and Amendola have each missed large chunks of time. Coming into the season, they were my 1a WR and 1b RB.

Think the whole Hernandez thing may have been a bigger distraction for other teams?

Adrian Wilson, remember him? I think he WOULD have been a hybrid LB/S, and likely playing the role after Mayo went down. Now everyone is out of position at LB.

Teams getting up and coming to play EVERY WEEK against this team. The Pats are not a team anyone gets 'trapped' by. They represent the opponents' Super Bowl many times throughout the year.

10-3.

1st Place.

DRIVER'S. FKING. SEAT!

Coach of the Year?

FK YES!

When considering COACH of the year, any GM duties are tossed out the window. It's COACH of the year, not NFL Personel of the Year. Not "Fullfilled his Job Responsibilities in their Entirety" of the Year.

There has been no better COACH this season. Period. Few have a better record, none have dealt with nearly this much. Likely not even half of it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Babe, can you just stay on the thread?  I think BB has done a s**t job; we have no running game, no D, bad in-game adjustments.  He has always sucked as  a GM and drafter, now he is bad as a coach - just hanging on the ropes and when Tom leaves - its the knock out punch for hi  BS!

[/QUOTE]

Uh.....did we not just have 3 come from behind wins?! The D has been desimated by injuries, probowlers who solidify this defense can't be replaced easily! You can't blame BB for Vereen getting injured and Ridley for fumbling. 

I wont argue his drafts have been questionable, but it's all a gamble and it's easy for you to be CaptainHindsight with it now. BB for all that has happened this year is doing an amazing job.

Please tell us who you want as a head coach...Shanahan? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

He makes some solid points for Belichick being named "Coach of the Year":

This is from yahoo.com:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bill-belichick-nfl-39-coach-england-patriots-nab-220000407--nfl.html

COMMENTARY| The New England Patriots were not supposed to be able to do this in 2013. Remember, they got worse in the offseason. They let Wes Welker go to Denver. They let Brandon Lloyd go to a "B" movie career. They letAaron Hernandez go to deal with some legal issues. They didn't have Rob Gronkowski, then they did, and then they didn't again. Meanwhile, they put a defensive Pro Bowl team on injured reserve, with Vince WilforkJerod Mayo andTommy Kelly all going down for the year.

The New England Patriots are supposed to be in decline. That's why, if they can win out and hold on for the top seed in the AFC, Bill Belichick should be the NFL's coach of the year.

Forget the offseason. You only need to look back to early October to see just how far this team has come. That's when the Cincinnati Bengals held it out of the endzone for the first time since 2009, and ended Tom Brady's 52-game touchdown streak.

The New England offense was in chaos. Brady completed less than 48-percent of his passes, for just 197 yards that day. LeGarrette Blount led the Patriots with just 51 yards on the ground. He, by the way, also lost a fumble.

It appeared that Belichick's offseason gamble had failed. He turned away from the reliable Welker in favor of brittle Danny Amendola, who was playing in just his second game of the season. He had no reliable outside threat to replace Lloyd since rookies Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins were leading the galaxy in drops at the time. And despite a 4-1 record, with their toughest games still in front of them it seemed that the Patriots' stranglehold on the AFC East was in jeopardy.

But that was on October 6th.

Two months later, not only does Belichick still have a firm grasp on the division, his team now controls its own destiny for the AFC's number-one seed.

It's a remarkable turnaround, and one that required no shortage of miracles along the way.

First, there was Brady's Houdini act just a week later to escape from sure defeat against the New Orleans Saints. Behind by four, Brady drove New England 70 yards with less than a minute to play, culminating in a 17-yard game-winner to Thompkins. It was a win so unlikely, only half of the fans in the stadium were left to see it.

Then there was that impossible comeback against the Broncos, trailing by 24 points at the half, only to beat Peyton Manning 34-31 in overtime. Or how about that nonsensical win against Cleveland, which required two touchdowns in the final 61 seconds, with the team's first successful onside kick since the Clinton administration sandwiched in between?

So plenty of fortune smiled down on Belichick this season. But let's not pretend the ball didn't bounce the other way as well. A call here or there against New England could have turned around any of those incredible wins, but blown or ill-timed calls at the end of games with the New York Jets and Carolina Panthers also led New England to a pair of losses.

In overtime against New York, the Jets missed a potential game-winning field goal in overtime, only to see the Patriots whistled for the league's first example of pushing on the line. The penalty gave the Jets new life, and they'd make their next field goal to win.

But at least that call was correct. Against Carolina, a flag was thrown in the endzone as Rob Gronkowski was mugged on the Patriots' final chance to score and take the lead. But instead of having one final try from the one-yard line, the flag was picked up, and the Panthers handed the win.

So it's been a year of highs and lows for Belichick's group, but as the regular season comes to a close, his team is doing what it almost always does, playing its best football when it matters most.

Brady's thrown for almost 1,900 yards and 12 touchdowns in the last five games. Shane Vereen has returned from injury to become one of the NFL's most dangerous passing backs, hauling in 40 passes in just five games. Julian Edelman is 7th in the NFL with 76 catches, three more than Welker. But most importantly, at 10-3 and with that head-to-head victory over Denver, New England once again sits in the drivers' seat in the AFC.

And it's not just the offense. Belichick's defense isn't what it was before losing the triumvirate of Wilfork, Mayo and Kelly, but rookie free-agent defensive linemen Joe Vallano and Chris Jones have proven to be stellar finds. Aqib Talib, who Belichick brought back on a one-year deal, has been one of the NFL's best cornerbacks. Second-round pick Jamie Collins has begun to make an impact, especially in sub-packages, and 2012 first-rounder Chandler Jones has blossomed into a force.

This defense doesn't shut teams down without all those stars, but Belichick has consistently put it in position to make plays when it counts most.

Just in the last three games, the New England defense held Denver to 14 points after the first quarter, kept Houston off the scoreboard for the final 11:31 while Brady engineered a comeback, and somehow held on against Cleveland while the offense outscored the Browns 16-7 in the final quarter.

The defense mirrors the team as a whole; it plays best when it matters most. That's the hallmark of a Belichick coached team, and 2013 has been one of its best examples.

There's plenty of football left to play, and the Patriots have no easy road. After facing the Dolphins in Miami, Belichick's group must travel to Baltimore before finishing at home against the Buffalo Bills. But if this team manages to hold on, and does clinch the AFC's top seed, it would cap a coaching job that's among Belichick's best.

And that's worthy of coach of the year.

[/QUOTE]

in the running

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What this reply has to do with my comment about a jets troll is a mystery.

Yeah, BB's the best coach in the game and a mediocre GM. I never said otherwise. He's always going to have a little bit of an uphill climb getting COTY because he has Brady. But I just can't see him winning it when KC has turned things around so dramatically this year.

Now back on ignore with you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to freediro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Uh.....did we not just have 3 come from behind wins?! The D has been desimated by injuries, probowlers who solidify this defense can't be replaced easily! You can't blame BB for Vereen getting injured and Ridley for fumbling. 

I wont argue his drafts have been questionable, but it's all a gamble and it's easy for you to be CaptainHindsight with it now. BB for all that has happened this year is doing an amazing job.

Please tell us who you want as a head coach...Shanahan? 

[/QUOTE]

Who are you talking to?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am laughing at whoever said his drafts have been "questionable".  Best draft yields since 2010.   My god we have some dumb people here.  Look around the league. 

[/QUOTE]

He is the best coach ever, AND the best GM ever, according to you, but he can't win a SB in almost a decade. That simply doesn't add up, to any honest person.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Best draft yields since 2010.   My god we have some dumb people here.

[/QUOTE]

Really?

Price - BUST

Cunningham - BUST

Spikes - MEH

Gronk - INJURIES

McCourty - CB FAIL

Mallet - MEH

Ridley - FUMBLER

Vereen - INJURIES

Dowling - BUST

Solder - TURNSTILE

Wilson - MEH

Hightower - MEH

Jones - LOOKS GOOD

These are the best draft yields since 2010??????? LMAO@U

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really?

Price - BUST

Cunningham - BUST

Spikes - MEH

Gronk - INJURIES

McCourty - CB FAIL

Mallet - MEH

Ridley - FUMBLER

Vereen - INJURIES

Dowling - BUST

Solder - TURNSTILE

Wilson - MEH

Hightower - MEH

Jones - LOOKS GOOD

[/QUOTE]

You left out udfas and this year's impressive yield.  How convenient.  Yes.  Cincy and the pats. I wish we could draft earlier in rd 1 too.  Do you watch any football in this league?

[/QUOTE]

Oh my. How could I have left out the UDFAs?

Maybe because I was responding to you saying...

"Best draft yields since 2010"

No need whatsoever to call you names, it's obvious without a label.

I left out this year because I don't call things like this until the second year is at least well underway. Duh.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really?

Price - BUST

Cunningham - BUST

Spikes - MEH

Gronk - INJURIES

McCourty - CB FAIL

Mallet - MEH

Ridley - FUMBLER

Vereen - INJURIES

Dowling - BUST

Solder - TURNSTILE

Wilson - MEH

Hightower - MEH

Jones - LOOKS GOOD

[/QUOTE]

Babe, I am curious.  What consitiutes a "draft bust"?  If the player does not make the pro bowl, they are a bust?  You can probably go throughtout the league and make a similar list for every team.

As for the Pats, these players are still playing.  If they weren't, I would agree, their being drafted turned into a wasted pick.  So, with all these draft busts since 2010, Pats have made it to 2 AFCCGs, 1 SB and the playoffs every year.  They are 10 - 3 this year with lots of injuries.  Seems BB is doing fairly well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

When you spend your life thumbing your nose at the league, and showing them up at every turn...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

I am laughing at whoever said his drafts have been "questionable".  Best draft yields since 2010.   My god we have some dumb people here.  Look around the league. 

[/QUOTE]

There it is again.  Will you ever stop?  What's your qualification for such a statement?  How do you rate these picks?  As everyone knows, you have already gone on record as claiming that any player that has started for Bill must be great.  Seems that any pick he sticks around, you consider great.  RasI anyone? Just a bit biased, no?