Bill Belichick on Execution versus Playcalling

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Bill Belichick on Execution versus Playcalling

From his interview today on WEEI's Big Show:

"We played 16 games, they [the Texans] played 17. You are what you are at this point.  It comes down not to plays, but to execution—how well you block, tackle, throw, catch, kick, run, and so forth. That’s the big part of the game.  And that’s why the teams playing at this time of the year are playing at this time of year: because they do those things pretty well.  I don’t think it’s a big X and O thing. I think its more that the teams that play well, the players that perform well, those are the teams that will go on."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Bill Belichick on Execution versus Playcalling

And from BB's conference call today . . . explaining how situational football often overtakes game planning as the game wears on: 

Q: We always talk about in-game adjustments and we always think about the time you have with the players during halftime. But do those adjustments begin with the first play and the first drive? 

BB: Yeah, definitely, the first drive as soon as we come off and we have a lot more information than we had going into the game even if some of it is just a confirmation of their personnel, their groupings, their matchups. [We] try to take a look at what they'™re trying to do, why they selected the type of plays that they've selected in the first series and what does it look like they'™re trying to attack or how they'™re trying to play us. With a team like Houston that has some West Coast elements to it, you know that early in the game, there is a script portion or potential in the game and so that'™s also another thing you have to factor in. Teams that are script-type teams, how you want to treat that because script isn'™t always necessarily the way the whole game goes. Sometimes a script is just a script. But yeah definitely, it starts as soon as the game starts. You get halftime, fourth quarter, a lot of times is just situational football based on the score, whatever the conditions happen to be. A lot of times, the game plan really only goes two, two and a half, three quarters depending on the way the game unfolds and then a lot of times in the fourth quarter you'™re just playing situational football or you'™ve seen so much of the game that you'™re no longer in a game plan mode, you'™re [in] ˜" Play the game the way this particular game is being played,"™ mentality. 

Q: How much does experience factor into the playoffs? Does it aid in preparation and game situations? How big of an impact can it have? 

BB: I don’t know. I think it has some but I don’t think it is overriding by any means. You can find plenty of examples of teams and players with limited experience that have done very well and plenty of those same examples where it hasn’t gone so well. But I think like anything else, if you’ve been through it once you have a little more knowledge and a little more confidence and understanding of what’s going to happen than if you’ve never been through it before. I think there is some advantage to it but I think the advantage goes to the team that plays well, that executes well, makes good decisions. I think that’s more of an advantage than experience or no experience. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

That's what I've always thought. 

I've always thought those that play armchair coach and talk about play calling are full of it.  They are like the people who are great at jeopardy from their couch. 

People who claim play calling is a reason for a loss never consider talent and more importantly execution as reasons when, in my mind, those make up the majority of the reason why teams win or lose. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From his interview today on WEEI's Big Show:

"We played 16 games, they [the Texans] played 17. You are what you are at this point.  It comes down not to plays, but to execution—how well you block, tackle, throw, catch, kick, run, and so forth. That’s the big part of the game.  And that’s why the teams playing at this time of the year are playing at this time of year: because they do those things pretty well.  I don’t think it’s a big X and O thing. I think its more that the teams that play well, the players that perform well, those are the teams that will go on."

[/QUOTE]

Yes Pro. The X and Os are designed for execution (schematically/mismatches). It was my experience that when the team is playing lackadaisically, an infusion of a couple of players with natural talent and know how to execute always inspires the rest of the team to put forth that extra effort to execute. It's amazing what a couple of better parts (playmakers) does to the whole.

That also causes the coaches, game planning, playcalling to perk up.

Enjoy your comments ... ;-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

With the Patriots especially, execution is key. 

First of all, they have perhaps the NFL's most complex offense already.  When you have that luxury, perfect psychic playcalling from the bench isn't what's needed.  The offense moves at warp speed.  They all run to the line, Brady sees a defensive player out of position, he yells "Orange" or something, the ball gets snapped quickly and the Pats pretty much steal a free play, running or passing where the defensive player isn't.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Exciting thread Prolate. The pulse (way) of the game is actually being played also dictates what will work best. Better stats does not always dictate a Win. It's the execution at the most probable time for a new down or score using what will most likely work, pass on 1st or run/PA on 3rd and long. This is what BB and TB do best. If the O'line can't handle the D'line in run or pass protect then TB ups his tempo calling for a quicker timed play etc. Execution the key. Thats the way I see it.

Paul_K: Yes to checkdowns as well as stated above and the Pats are extremely good at that communication at the line but the tempo (especially with a mismatch) of the play changes to negate the good play of the opponents good execution. But it is about execution not playcalling. That is what this thread is about - the ability to properly execute.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

@UD6--yeah, blaming the play calling seems to be an easy thing for fans to do whenever a play doesn't work or the offense sputters . . . 

@Palookaski - - one of the most important points Belichick makes, too, is how many of the plays called are really about the situation rather than the game plan, particularly later in the game.  In a way, the first half is a better time to judge the game plan, while in the second half situational play calling really takes over. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Another gem from Bill, this time on statistics.  (Can we please stop the "statistics are for losers" meme now?):

BB: No, I think there's some relevance to some statistics. I don't think they're irrelevant but you have to be careful about putting too much on them but there's some relevance to them. I'd rather be obviously high in wins, low in points, low third-down conversion percentage, low red-area percentage, low goal-line percentage, low yards-per-rush, low yards-per-attempt, low penalties. You want to be low in every category. The most important one is wins, the next most important one is points and there are a lot of other things that go along with that. Sure, you want to be better in everything that you're doing. There is some relevance to that, some of it is circumstantial, some of it isn'™t after 16 games and over 1,000 snaps --“ they mean something but I think you still have to go beyond the actual numbers to try to see what you'™re really dealing with, especially if you want to try to change it or improve it, try to figure out exactly what it is that'™s right or wrong. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's kind of both equally in the end. As a coach all they can do is call plays and they need to put their players in the right position in order to execute a play. As with that game plans need to evolve and play calling needs to adapt. Such as, if you are in zone and the opposing QB is eating you up than maybe the play calling needs to change to adjust for either lack of execution or better game planning on the other side.

But, if a proper play call is made at that point it's out of the coaches hands and comes down to execution on the field.

Great examples:

If you have a weak running game (because of talent) play calling runs up the middle right into Wilfork won't work even if executed perfectly (remember there are two sides of the ball and the other team can execute too)

Or if you run a screen and catch a team blitzing then the QB, receiver, and blockers need to execute but the play call was perfect

But don't confuse game plan with play calling. Play calling adapts through the game and it's up to the players to execute those calls. Game plans tend to be tossed out after the first couple series depending on execution on the field and the other teams game plan. If a team fails in either play calling or execution they just become the Jets

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Oh, nonsense!

All rational fans know that's just BB throwing off the opposition and the real key to winning games is the perfect game plan.

All they have to do is rush 50 times, don't throw more than 35 times because there is a high risk of ints and fumbles, never run the shotgun to keep the QB from getting ant foolish ideas, never sub the lead back so he can get "Hot" and have the best run D in the game since everyone will be running on them too.  A good pass D is not necessary.

Execution doesn't matter because once they do this 1000 times a year, they will become sooo effecient that no one will be able to stop them and there will be nothing left for BB to do but drink water from the sidelines all game.

It's the perfect plan!  Kudo's BB..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's kind of both equally in the end. As a coach all they can do is call plays and they need to put their players in the right position in order to execute a play. As with that game plans need to evolve and play calling needs to adapt. Such as, if you are in zone and the opposing QB is eating you up than maybe the play calling needs to change to adjust for either lack of execution or better game planning on the other side.

But, if a proper play call is made at that point it's out of the coaches hands and comes down to execution on the field.

Great examples:

If you have a weak running game (because of talent) play calling runs up the middle right into Wilfork won't work even if executed perfectly (remember there are two sides of the ball and the other team can execute too)

Or if you run a screen and catch a team blitzing then the QB, receiver, and blockers need to execute but the play call was perfect

But don't confuse game plan with play calling. Play calling adapts through the game and it's up to the players to execute those calls. Game plans tend to be tossed out after the first couple series depending on execution on the field and the other teams game plan. If a team fails in either play calling or execution they just become the Jets

[/QUOTE]

I think what BB is really saying here is, that by the time teams get to the playoffs, everyone knows what they do, where they excel, and where they are weak, so game planning isn't nearly as critical as execution.  Play calling, meanwhile, is going to be situational through much of the game, so while it's important to call good plays for the situation (taking into account what you know about the other team), it really is going to boil down mostly to execution. 

This to me seems exactly on point.  The team that executes best is likely to go on . . . game planning and play calling, while not irrelevant, aren't the keys to winning in the playoffs. 

This seems to be the opposite of what certain posters on this site seem to believe.  They blame the past two Super Bowl losses on the game plan, the play calling, or the overall offensive philosophy.  They ignore things like the O line not being able to consistently block the Giants' D line on either passing or running plays.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

Great examples:

[/QUOTE]

No No No Pats Eng....Play calling means nothing! Bill Belichick just said so. It is all dumb luck. Either your guys play good and win, or play bad and lose. It is obvious. Bill has just outlined to all of us idiots how coaching has nothing to do with post season success. Only a GM who can collect superior talent has any sort of impact on post season success.

We need more then 7 pro bowlers to win SB's, as better players "execute" more often. Passing 45 times against the best pass rush in football while playing with a lead does not matter. The O-line who was ranked 2nd in the LG should have executed no matter what "plays" were called.

Great find Pro. BB has just re-enforced your entire premise that coaching and game planning means nothing and that our below average GM has failed to acquire enough talent in order to win playoff games! Well done.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Belichick is giving media BB-speak 101..

If you take this too literally you become a koolaid drunk vegetable.  You need to filter all this general  commentary through the lens of reality.  He will NEVER TELL THE MEDIA what he really thinks OR what an actual game plan will contain.

Do you think opponents buy this stuff...?  like... " thanks bill, we were hoping it was too much for you to put in any new concepts or strategies into the game next week.... Appreciate you telling everybody that it's going to be the same old stuff you run all the time.  "

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I'm sure BB is just a big fibber. We all know that if he coached the Chiefs this year his great gameplans would have them going to the SB. Just like we know if Romeo coached the Pats this year we would have only won 2 games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Belichick is giving media BB-speak 101..

If you take this too literally you become a koolaid drunk vegetable.  You need to filter all this general  commentary through the lens of reality.  He will NEVER TELL THE MEDIA what he really thinks OR what an actual game plan will contain.

Do you think opponents buy this stuff...?  like... " thanks bill, we were hoping it was too much for you to put in any new concepts or strategies into the game next week.... Appreciate you telling everybody that it's going to be the same old stuff you run all the time.  "

[/QUOTE]

Funny how some folks take a quote and say it's just hot air then take another and say it's gospel. This usually suits their agenda.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm sure BB is just a big fibber. We all know that if he coached the Chiefs this year his great gameplans would have them going to the SB. Just like we know if Romeo coached the Pats this year we would have only won 2 games.

[/QUOTE]

You can go the other way around too. If you had Dennis Allen do you think the Pats would be as good as they are? It's a combination of game planning, play calling (both before the play and at the line), and execution. You can't win if players execute but are put in the right situations to make plays and you can't win if the players are put in the right situations but don't execute

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's what I've always thought. 

I've always thought those that play armchair coach and talk about play calling are full of it.  They are like the people who are great at jeopardy from their couch. 

People who claim play calling is a reason for a loss never consider talent and more importantly execution as reasons when, in my mind, those make up the majority of the reason why teams win or lose. 

[/QUOTE]

You know something UD, with that statement, no matter what plays are called, execution is the key.  With that said, this is what debunks all those claims the Pats won because of "Spygate"!  No matter how much you may know about a play, the execution of that play makes it work.  Don't most teams already know what plays are most likely to occur as a result of a certain formation?  The X-factor is how the players react to the opponent.  I can know a receiver is going to run a "go" route, but, if I am not executing my coverage good enough and the receiver gets separation, I'm toast.  Conversely, an offense knows the defense's tendencies from their formation.  Every play has good intentions and can work IF executed properly on offense, but, a good defender's reaction can wreck it! Hence, execution on both sides of the ball is key no matter how much is known!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Wow. BB just said about everything I've been saying for years. 

Football is 90% execution/preparedness.

Gameplans can only really be seen as game plans for the first half, or so. 

The vast majority of plays, even within the game plan, are situational, meaning they are practically pre-determined, and success early in the game, early in the set of downs, dictates how many options you have later on. 

The stats that BB rattles off real quick are all efficiency stats (moreover, bendability/breakability stats). Coaches pay attention to improving efficiencies by improving execution. 

Whether or not you get "your lead back 25+ carries" or "keep your passer under 40" is quite simply irrelevant to them, because they know output stats like that are determined by what you were forced to do situationally. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No No No Pats Eng....Play calling means nothing! Bill Belichick just said so. It is all dumb luck. Either your guys play good and win, or play bad and lose. 

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like sour grapes because Bill Belichik just absolutely WRECKED what you've been saying and agreed with me. 

You could at the very least acknolwedge, considering what he just said was what I've been saying to you almost verbatim instead of being sarcastic. 

BB is right. 

I am right in this instance. 

It's always about execution. Football players play, not coaches. They decide how games turn out.

Playcalling is decided by the situation you are in (you pass in long distance, late downs; run in early downs or short distances or some permutation on that).  

If teams couldn't execute when the other team knows what is coming then we would never see: exciting goal line stands where everyone knows you are pounding it in, last minute comeback drives where they know they are passing, quick scoring drives before the half where you must pass, or clock killing drives where everyone in the stadium knows you are running it and you still do it effectively. The vast majority of the time in a football game .... everyone knows basically what you are going to be doing anyway. 

Of course, I could say "You are right, it has nothing to do with execution. In fact, it's all predetermined: the team that runs the ball more wins, and the team that passes more loses. Forget players doing silly things like blocking, running, catching, passing, tackling, covering. That stuff doesn't matter, just run the ball whether it works or not, because that is all that matters."

Moreover, execution IS coaching. IT takes years of practice and grooming to train a player to execute. 

What do you think BB is talking about in practice and on the sidelines to his players? You think he sits there for five minutes between drives repeating the names of the 8 or so plays they are going to run? Because playcalling is the key? Gotta make sure they know what play is being called? For like ten minutes, or for days after days during practice? He is critiquing them actively on their fundamentals and telling them how to play their position given the micro changes in game. The conversation about "play calling" happened a long time ago, once after the draft, once right before camp, once after camp, then during a few meetings weekly. 90% of the coaching work is getting your players to be better blocker, runners, etc. The players don't spend time thinking about how much teams run or pass, they think about what they need to do to beat their man. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

90% of the coaching work is getting your players to be better blocker, runners, etc. The players don't spend time thinking about how much teams run or pass, they think about what they need to do to beat their man. 

[/QUOTE]

Amazing that this even needs to be pointed out on here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

90% of the coaching work is getting your players to be better blocker, runners, etc. The players don't spend time thinking about how much teams run or pass, they think about what they need to do to beat their man. 

[/QUOTE]

Amazing that this even needs to be pointed out on here.

[/QUOTE]

I have been thinking as much all morning. But the long and short of it is people want to feel like they are making a difference, or in the know, so they discuss meaningless stuff second guessing things that don't work, saying (of course) they knew better. 

Discussing football fundamentals makes for a bad thread ... how many people would really even contribute to a thread about how poorly Arrington does his BTR in game situations, that he doesn't bring his hips around, that the end result is he is usually a few steps behind his man? Or that BJGE runs with his head down and doesn't wait for his blocking to develop and as a result he leaves blocked yards on the field?

No, they'd rather blame BB's soft defense, or McDaniels' playcalling or something else. Because it's easy ... it's one off. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Z if your right then why even have coaches on game day? You could stick in a Madden player to call plays. You don't give play calling enough credit. There's a reason why certain coaches always win regardless of the players (BB) and why some coaches never win even with the most talented teams

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

With all due respect to BB, my lucky jersey has a little more to do with winning than any "execution."  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]

Z if your right then why even have coaches on game day? You could stick in a Madden player to call plays. You don't give play calling enough credit. There's a reason why certain coaches always win regardless of the players (BB) and why some coaches never win even with the most talented teams

[/QUOTE]

Way to completely miss Z's point.  Although you seem to do that with everyone.  Try to follow the threads carefully before you comment.