Bill Bilichick Making Statement....... and HE HAS TO

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

Bill Bilichick Making Statement....... and HE HAS TO

Ok I joke around here all the time but the Last post of Belichick jumping shark has to be answere.
    What I see the Patriots Organization doing is this, they knew that Peppers was going to cost too much money and if so this platform (FA) was used to quiet the critics (signing V.W.), and to show the players on the team and future players as well that the Patriots will pay you and pay you well if you are a team player and give 100 per cent.
    With Moss running his mouth about the Patriots being cheap and the problems with A.D., then the lack of guidance a statement had to be made loud and clear. Some may think TullyBC was overpaid, but he played his heart out and was rewarded as well as Big V.
    This was more a Public Relations move than anything to show New England can and will pay top dollar for top players that GIVE THEIR ALL..Espically now going into the Draft.
    Its a very good strategy move on New Englands part to shut Moss'es mouth and dispell any belief that this team wont pay its players.
    Now with this done they can and will move forward. What happened here is no different than what happenes at any large company, but when it does you move in the correct manner to fix the problem and nullify the people spreading the vicious rumors.
    New England does need Wilfolk, 40 million? I would not pay that but they had to if they want this Team to grow and bring in top level players

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Re: Bill Bilichick Making Statement....... and HE HAS TO

Pay Wilfork $40 million to shut up Moss and attract future Free agents....Not buying it. 

Winning and offering the largest contract will attract future FA and Moss was simply answering a question.

Wilfork got $40 million because plan A fell through.  Otherwise why not get this deal done last year?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

"Wilfork got $40 million because plan A fell through.  Otherwise why not get this deal done last year?"

Plan A was a player at a completely different position?

That is like saying that renegotiating Brady is plan B to declining Boldin.

They didn't get the deal done last season because Wilfork was under contract. He had no leverage. Why pay him $8 million when you can have him for the last value on his rookie deal?

It's just common sense. 

Peppers isn't here because he isn't worth *more* than $15 million. 
    Wilfork is here because $8 million per is a market value contract for a player of his ability and NE needs a NT. 

Apples and oranges. 

There are no statements . . . just building a football team. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

"They didn't get the deal done last season because Wilfork was under contract. He had no leverage. Why pay him $8 million when you can have him for the last value on his rookie deal?'

Why would they not work out a deal like Seymour's a bump and extension?  This would of assured them a happy motivated player spreading joy in what has been termed a dysfunctional Locker room, lacking leadership.  Wilfork was openly discussing his displeasure in his contract situation for 2 years.  That certainly carried over into the locker room adding to the situation.

I could be wrong, have been wrong in the past and will be wrong in the future.  I  do know a little on how to manage and motivate people to extract there best performance and the way this was handled, if you correct, was rather poor. 

Personally I tend to believe BB and Kraft are smarter then how the situation was handled.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

I'm glad to see the Pats sign Wilfork. The Colts and Steelers like to lock up their good players. When you bring in guys from other systems you just don't know how they'll fit in. Belichick knew what he had in Vince. He knew he wanted to run the 3-4 D and that he needed the big NT.
    I wanted the Pats to lock up Deon Branch and Assante Sammuels before they left. we've had several years where we have been weak at CB and WR. These guys were hard to replace. Ofcourse Wes Welker was a classy top notch guy to bring in from another system. So there are always exceptions. Also when you have enough club house police you can bring in a Corey Dillion and a Randy Moss and they'll behave themselves. Right now Belichick needs to find his six guys that can control the clubhouse so we don't have the problem we had last year (I'm sure that was one reason why Belichick brought Jr. Seau back last season).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

stomper, good thread and good points. But I dont think 40M is overpaying Vince. I think in 2-3 years he will be UNDERPAID by NFL standards for a stud DT.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

So the smart alternative, which is what you were saying before, would be to court (behind the scenes I suppose) a man who may or may not be a free agent by 2010, and has never played in your system, while at the same time allowing the plan B player (who was obviously worth something to the team, even as plan B) get ticked off anyway?

Number one: regardless of whether Vince was plan A or plan B, they could have given him a bump to keep him happy in the circumstances you outline. While his motivation is guaranteed by his next contract anyway, given that psychology, it doesn't matter because you are worried about 09. Hence, the refusal to bump his salary is insubstantial to any Peppers vs Wilfork argument. It is just a contour of your present relationship with VW, and should have been addressed regardless of whether you are letting Fork play the plan  B role. 

Number two: There is no guarantee they would even get a chance to negotiate with Peppers. Forget about signing him. They don't even know if he is going to make it to FA. That is before navigating the open waters of the NFL spenders. 

Business smarts? Late in 2008 my GM comes to me and says, here is our plan going forward: We wait to see if Carolina lets Peppers go, and if they do we go into tepid negotiations for a DE/OLB convert. Failing this we sign VW as a NT in the second richest deal ever given to a DT.

If this was his plan A, I would fire him on the spot for building plan A around three crucial unknowns -- whether he reaches FA, whether you can negotiate for him in FA, and whether he can even play for your team. 

That is fantasy football, not real business.  

The real history: 

Again, keeping it simple here. Wilfork opted to not hold out. Seymour held out, and was given a raise then re-upped. If he had opted to hold out, something might have been done earlier. We don't know how NE would have reacted, but the fact that both sides were negotiating at the time likely played a large part in VW's decision to not hold out, as did the fact that VW's rookie contract wasn't exactly rich enough to make him want to sit out. 

They had been actively negotiating (in one way or another) since last summer. The upward pressure of the Haynesworth deal put them at loggerheads. The downward pressure of the Casey Hampton deal, along with the looming possibility of a lockout brought the deal back to where it should be.

The Pats got market value for a top three NT. That is pretty *smart* considering the absurd deals on the FA market. Vince is now happy, NE is happy. Now they can move on to addressing other positions via the draft, FA, or whatever.  

Peppers was likely never anything more than a lowball offer. They sent it out there, and very wisely declined to even dip a toe in "$15.5 million per" waters for an admittedly dominant player with a history of nagging injuries, suspect motivation, who enters the last season before what could be a pre-lockout season already on the wrong side of 30.

The Wilfork deal is separate. And unlike what the OP said, is NOT a statement of any sort outside of the fact that it states VW's value to the team. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I actually thought the contract that Vince signed (and I don't have the details of it all of course) was less than I thought he was willing to take. Seams like a decent deal for both sides, and I do think he took a tiny bit of a discount. I personally would rather have him than Peppers, if I had to choose between the two. I just wish Vince would get back to his rookie playing weight where I thought he stopped the run and actualy was used as an end on occasion with some very good pressure. He certainly has the techniques down at this point to control the line without weighing 370 lbs. Plus him carrying as much weight as he is, is going to lead to injuries (Back, knees, hips). 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I do not believe Bill B does ANYTHING for appearance sake, or to make people happy.  I am glad it's that way, but even if I wasn't, he isn't changing.  He pays what he has to, does what he wants to, and believes he is right.  I tend to agree.  We are talking about a team that has made the playoffs 8 out of 10 years!  and won 3 SBs and went to 4, was in the Afc championship for one.  NOT TOO SHABBY.  I doubt 2 "down" years will make Bill panic, and I know they wont make ME panic.  He is playing it Krafty.  And although he always looks bad this time of year, when the Dan Snyders of the world look smart, he usually looks alot better once June rolls around, last year being the only exception to this rule.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

OK, I kinda drifted though after the first 1000 words.  I guess I'm more of a romantic and pictured the Free Agent war room as a cluttered, smoke fill, concert bunker with phones ringing and a black board with crossed off names.  Good old fashion wheeling and dealing going on.  Guess not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'm not reading as deeply into this as you are. I am of the opinion that the main reason they traded Seymour is because they knew they needed to get some money off the Books to sign Wilfork and wouldn't be able to afford to pay both. I know a lot of people don't think wilfork is worth a top flight contract but the Pats do and Belichick in Particular has always appreciated Vince's Game. I don't think Belichick cares about making a statement. That would imply that he cares what everyone else thinks and he definitely doesn't. My interest right now is focused on what they do with Thomas. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't decision.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

They were going to let Seymour go after his contract was up.  They found a buyer.  The Pats got something in return where otherwise they wouldn't have. 

Seymour's skills had deteriorated.  He was not going to be worth the money the way he'd been playing.

The Thomas situation is a topic of interest.  The only thing I can think of is that there is a trade in the works otherwise he would have been released.  Because the Jets fall under the final 8 rule the only way the Jets would be able to grab him is to release someone with the same amount on the contract, dollar for dollar.  On the other hand the Pats may keep him although I don't understand why.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Because the Jets fall under the final 8 rule the only way the Jets would be able to grab him is to release someone with the same amount on the contract, dollar for dollar.

garytx, Thomas is not a free agent. If the Pats release him he would be free to sign with any team he chooses.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

thanks digger!  You're right, brain fa rt on my part.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

while i am not completely sold on vw being the best nt (i am one of those who was disappointed during the ravens game...and yes, i do realize he was coming off injury), i think resigning him was a good move. with bb taking on dc role, there's jus tno way it made sense for them to shift to 43 this coming year. regardless if you think vw is great or not, he's the best option that ne has.

by signing vw, ne can now focus their first four picks on OLB, OL, DE (i believe bb will draft one who could make vw look as good as seymour did in the early 2000s) and wr. i am betting bb won't move on a rb until the fourth...but even that might not happen because he prefers drafting a te over a rb.