BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS?

In Response to Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS?:
    [QUOTE] Wow! I can't believe the hatred for Drew Bledsoe by some people. Bledsoe was, in my opinion the best quarterback this franchise ever had before Brady arrived and he helped take the Patriots to the superbowl in 96. He did have  last minute drives to win games during the middle of a playoff chase. Bledsoe to Coates was one of the best QB to TE tandems in the history of football, or at least in the 90's it was. Doesn't anybody remember that great comeback win against the vikings when Bledsoe set the NFL record for completions in a game. That game helped jump start a 6 game winning streak that put the Pats in the playoffs for the first time since 1986. To this day I feel that was the most exciting Pats comeback I ever witnessed, or at least that I can remember. 
    Posted by ccnsd[/QUOTE]
      I like Bledsoe, I dont think anyone has hatred for him. Where did you get that from? And I agree, he was the best Qb the Pats  had ever had until Brady arrived.  That being said, are you saying Drew is as good as Brady? Because if you are, you are wrong. Bledsoe was a good Qb, Brady is one of the Best to ever play the game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from triplestix. Show triplestix's posts

Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS?

In Response to Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS?:
    [QUOTE]Had Bledsoe not gone down that Sunday vs the Jets, I suspect we still would have made it to the Superbowl that year.  Brady has become the kind of quarterback Drew could only dream of becoming, but that particular year Drew was playing well and it was largely our D that took us to the SB that year.  Our offense didn't play so much to win but to not lose, and it was largely the foot of Vinateri and a swarming D that didn't allow a lot of points that won it. 
    Posted by agill1970[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what two games you had been watching but Drew had not played well at all. And when Bill Belicheck, one of the best HC of all time, states openly that Brady had actually out performed Drew in the preseason I'm not sure that I would be comfortable saying they would have made it to the SB that year. He also said that the only reason the Drew started over Brady was because of the huge contract that Drew had signed the year before. It doesn't look good when you pay a guy that much money to sit on your bench. Yes, Drew was a very good QB while he was in NE, but I don't think you can say he was better than Brady, or that they would have won the SB's they did with him under center.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]I liked Drew... but he developed a habit of hanging on to the ball, and he took some bad hits and sacks.  He also had developed a habit of patting the ball 3 times before he released it...  and hopping.. hop hop hop pat pat pat release.  Defensed were starting to time him out and he was becoming less and less effective.  If you are arguing with 3 Superbowls you are insance.  Did Bledsoe win in 96?  I don't recall that he did.  Seems to me that he lost that one.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Good points and I like Drew too.  I think his best asset (very strong arm) was also his biggest liability - because his had such a strong arm, he seemed willing to use it by throwing into double/triple coverage and get picked off.  In addition, he also threw a bunch of pick-6's trying to strong-arm the ball on an out pattern and a defender would jump the pattern at a full run and bring it to the house.  Good guy, class guy, better-than-average QB, but certainly not in the "elite QB" ranks.  That said, without his efforts, I don't think our organization "turns it around" from a "sometime" condenter to a yearly one.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

In Response to BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS?:
    [QUOTE]love hearing and seeing drew again. you can feel the man's pain still after all these years in regards to his benching. he said point blank he still likes tommy but he should have been named the starter and based on his performance versus pittsburghm he should have also been named the super bowl qb and he could have been the man bringing the first ring home as well. i must say drew has lots of good points, but i just cant see him winning that snow bowl game though... perhaps once the team had momentum, he could have settled the ship as well. 2002 the team regressed, perhaps with drew around, we could have had a second ring as well. who knows....
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Drew said nothing of the sort you idiot! He said he never in his wildest dreams thought Tom would turn into the HOF'r he is, but always knew he was special. He made no mention of being upset. Drew is not a dummy, he was a great teammate & great guy in general. He knows BB made all the right moves. The bottomline is TB is not as careless w/the rock as DB was. DB was a very good QB & everyone appreciates what he did for this organization....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

[QUOTE]I am beginning to wonder if CC is a moderator here. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I doubt it i'm still around after that outburst, sorry man few to many sambucas last night and that is quite over the top. But there's no comparison in the 2 QB's Bledsoe was good even great but Brady may very well be the G.O.A.T when all is said and done. I throw javelin and I seen it like this, lots of guys throw 260 feet, less throw 280 feet, even less throw 295 then there's only a few in history and there's only one thrower who's thrown over 305 with the new spec javelin. I see Bledsoe as 280 QB maybe even 295 but Brady's definetly a 305 QB and I believe he's even better than that. Anyway talk is cheap Brady's done what Bledsoe said he could have he didn't though end of!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I loved what Drew did while he was here. Drew had one of the strongest arms I've ever seen; he could fit that ball into some of the tightest places on the field and would complete those deep outs with ease. I thought he was one of the best QB's at hitting a non moving target - have a guy (Coates) run 15 yards, turn around and boom - the ball would be stuck in his chest. I thought he was really lacking in the type of pass that you have to lead the receiver - the type of passes that Brady just owns (deep slants, short slants, crossing patterns). I also think that Brady is much better on the long stuff (despite the lesser arm), I remember Drew over or under throwing many a wide open Terry Glenn or Shawn Jefferson...that Tom would of made in his sleep. Drew had these unusually large hands. I saw him in camp once and I thought, why is he carrying tennis rackets? Upon closer review, they were just his hands, they just hung off his wrists as if they were baseball gloves. The football looked ridiculously small in his hands.

Just a class act and it's truly unbelievable that we ended up getting a guy that is much better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The conventional wisdom is that players shouldn't lose their jobs to injury, but in reality that is largely a myth. It happens all the time. As with most of this guy's threads, this is a non-controversy. Of course you want your guy to believe that he could get the job done, but never -- not ever -- was Drew Bledsoe any kind of malcontent and, I daresay, you can see a clear line of demarcation between the old-timers and the newbies on this one. Drew Bledsoe led the Patriots back from oblivion to contender status in the NFL and, when they finally reached juggernaut status, he was politely shown the door.

A class act in every sense of the word was Drew Bledsoe, and nothing Tom Brady has done or might yet do diminishes that in any way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]I am beginning to wonder if CC is a moderator here. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]what inspires you to think that mr. king?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Drew was an excellent thrower. Strong arm. And tough as nails.

He was NOT one of THE great QBs largely because he did not have the ability to read the D quickly enough to disect a D.

He was NOT a Great "passer" largely because he was not exceptional in accuracy nor, again, because of his mediocre speed at reading the play, he could not take advantage the way a Montana or Manning or Brady can.

All in all he was a very, very good QB. He was not Brady.

Just as John Brodie could not have done what Montana did, Drew could not have done what Brady has done.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from norichcrybabies. Show norichcrybabies's posts

I was a HUGE Bledsoe fan when the whole Bledsoe/Brady thing came about...  Right up until the Pitt game when he went in when Brady went down and threw the football like a hand grenade to start the 2nd half.  I was a Brady guy from there on.

That being said, he almost single handedly (with Parcells) made this team relavent and ABSOLUTELY DESERVES every bit of credibility the Patriots and Kraft can pile on him.  Great guy!  Great player for us, snapped pinky and all!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If BB had put Drew back at starter, we would have no SB wins and BB would have been fired by the end of 2002.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]I liked Drew... but he developed a habit of hanging on to the ball, and he took some bad hits and sacks.  He also had developed a habit of patting the ball 3 times before he released it...  and hopping.. hop hop hop pat pat pat release.  Defensed were starting to time him out and he was becoming less and less effective.  If you are arguing with 3 Superbowls you are insance.  Did Bledsoe win in 96?  I don't recall that he did.  Seems to me that he lost that one.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

holding on the ball is exactly what would have kept the team from winning the sb if bb chose to let him play instead of tb. drew had lost his ability to quickly get rid of the ball...probably because he kept looking for glenn, and perhaps trying to make pretty long passing plays that earned the rams that nickname "greatest show on turf".

that changed with tb, who just passed the ball to whoever was open.

in retrospect, he may have decided that he would play that way because he did not think that was a sb-caliber team, given the season before. i guess one could argue that he could ahve changed back to releasing the ball quickly once there was the realization that is how the team would succeed. i doubt it though. he developed a bad habit and bad habits are hard to break, particualrly when one gets a little older.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS? : holding on the ball is exactly what would have kept the team from winning the sb if bb chose to let him play instead of tb. drew had lost his ability to quickly get rid of the ball...probably because he kept looking for glenn, and perhaps trying to make pretty long passing plays that earned the rams that nickname "greatest show on turf". that changed with tb, who just passed the ball to whoever was open. in retrospect, he may have decided that he would play that way because he did not think that was a sb-caliber team, given the season before. i guess one could argue that he could ahve changed back to releasing the ball quickly once there was the realization that is how the team would succeed. i doubt it though. he developed a bad habit and bad habits are hard to break, particualrly when one gets a little older.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Not to bash the guy, but along with holding onto the ball too long, his feet killed him. If you could take away his first read and make him reset himself, his second look or second option pass was nowhere as good as his first. His mechanics would be off and he couldn't decipher what was happening quick enough, but man if that first read was there...he'd hit it.

His offensive line (as far as pass blocking goes) was absolutely the most underrated thing I've ever seen. When Bruce Armstrong got injured, Drew's career went south quickly. It's one of the things that impresses me so much about Brady - he can move his feet - reset and deliver that ball somewhere else, as good as his first option. Amazing. Drew  was a statue that was protected very very well for most of his career here, Parcells built that because he knew Drew had to have that. Our guards had to of been the best pass blockers in the league; they couldn't push a pile, but they protected that pocket.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Drew's case would be a lot better if he had won the Super Bowl he actually did start in, that's the one he should be focused on in retrospect. 

So, to answer your question, no. No he shouldn't have, and no we would not have five rings if he did. We would have less. 

Drew is a Pats franchise hero but understandably delusional about his capabilities.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

No hatred for Drew, here; no question he changed the face and destiny of the franchise.

But there would have been no Super Bowl victories had he been the starter. All the talent in the world, but didn't have the closer's instinct.

That ridiculous INT in the playoff game in Pitt was so infuriating because you could just feel it coming. Game on the line; Pats driving for the winning score, and I remember thinking, "How will Drew F this thing up?" And 2 plays later, he did.

Class act and a very good player, though; absoultely worthy of being in Pats HOF.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from goosedaddy. Show goosedaddy's posts

these people that are saying Bledsoe could have won those super bowls for us are either stupid or know nothing about sports and playing in the clutch. Brady is why we've won, he's made everyone around him better, that's what great players do. I watched Bledsoe for years be satisfied with being average. Brady is a winner and winners don't settle for being average. they reach way down and believe they can
    do what has to be done. Bledsoe left and got beat out everywhere else he went too. He had all the skills, but not the brains and certainly not the heart. The world is full of Bledsoes, not many Bradys. And by the way, the second best QB for the pats was Steve Grogan.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS? :   I like Bledsoe, I dont think anyone has hatred for him. Where did you get that from? And I agree, he was the best Qb the Pats  had ever had until Brady arrived.  That being said, are you saying Drew is as good as Brady? Because if you are, you are wrong. Bledsoe was a good Qb, Brady is one of the Best to ever play the game.
    Posted by jerh5[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

The person who was slamming Bledsoe has had his posts removed (i think he was calling me an idiot also). If you look at my previous posts on this subject It is clear that I do not believe Bledsoe is as good as Brady or that he would have won any superbowls. I was arguing that Bledsoe was a pretty clutch quarterback at times and was very important in turning the franchise around. Since the Bledsoe personal attacks had been deleted, by the time you read my post I understand your confusion. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]The conventional wisdom is that players shouldn't lose their jobs to injury, but in reality that is largely a myth. It happens all the time. As with most of this guy's threads, this is a non-controversy. Of course you want your guy to believe that he could get the job done, but never -- not ever -- was Drew Bledsoe any kind of malcontent and, I daresay, you can see a clear line of demarcation between the old-timers and the newbies on this one. Drew Bledsoe led the Patriots back from oblivion to contender status in the NFL and, when they finally reached juggernaut status, he was politely shown the door. A class act in every sense of the word was Drew Bledsoe, and nothing Tom Brady has done or might yet do diminishes that in any way.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

This got me thinking about how long it has been since those pre Bledsoe Pats.  I'm not really even all that young but I can hardly remember the Pats before Bledsoe.  In the last 18 years there have only been 2 QB's starting on this team (not counting Cassell).  I was 13 when Drew Bledsoe started his first game and I remember how big everything became that year.  Parcells comes in as coach and Bledsoe is drafted and got some huge contract and all of a sudden it's like the patriots matter.  People felt like for the first time since whenever somebody other than the players actually were serious about winning.

Anyway, my point is If Bledsoe is the worst QB you've ever seen on this team  then you probably should consider yourself lucky because though he's not Brady he was pretty damn good.  And I suppose if you happenned to be around for those days of mediocrity and sometimes ineptitude you would probably have a greater appreciation for Bledsoe and what he did.