Blount is a beast who runs a lot like Dillon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: Blount is a beast who runs a lot like Dillon

He's our #1 back right now

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Last game was the closest I have seen anyone come to running like Corey Dillon since he left the Patriots.  Corey Dillion was my favorite all time Patriots running back.  Anyone who didn't get to see him play or want a trip down memory lane, watch these highlights:

http://youtu.be/puPKyEtv1wE

That said, Blount has a long way to go before he can rush for 11,000 yards in his career.  It was by far his most complete game with us to this point in time and there is a ton to get excited over.  He has had games with better runs as he shows surprising speed, but this game he showed the whole package that Dillon used to have.

The one missing aspect has always been Blount's running style.  It has always been a bit too defensive and not aggressive enough given his size.  His body type would make him the ideal punishing running back.  Imagine trying to tackle 240 pounds of pissed off mofo running at you with mean intent?  Last game was the result of that.  The four running back competition is bringing out the best in all of these guys IMO... it was the missing motivation Blount needed in his career at this point after Tampa threw him out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to Fidd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's really progressed as a player. He's a different player than what he was in Tampa. The media would call him a "power back" and I use to say he was a "power back" that didn't run with power. He has light, quick feet and I feel like he relied on them a little too much when he first came into the league. He was looking for the big run too much and ignored his obvious strengths. Which is hitting the hole with force as an north to south runner. Instead he was trying to make guys miss, as opposed to picking up 3-4 yards and wearing down a D. He's the type of back that gets better throughout a game and makes a D not want to tackle his 250lb body.

He's a great fit for this team and perfect compliment to the rest of the back's.

[/QUOTE]

Great breakdown... this is exactly how I feel about Blount.  If he can keep up his progression towards a running style more like Antwoin Smith or Corey Dillion, the better it is for this Patriots team.  That pyle driver type of running back can not be underestimated.  I played 9 years of football and that was the worst when a team had a big back who hurt to take down. 

He made quick reads with strong solid cuts in the game this weekend.  He ran downhill with his weight pushing forward.  He protected the ball and had perfect technique for a big man.  He plays a more effective role with this team when he runs hard and powerful like this weekend, not when he is dancing like Lawrence Maroney.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

RedSoxDOrtiz

Thanks for the link to Corey Dillon. Great running back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

RedSoxDOrtiz

Thanks for the link to Corey Dillon. Great running back.

[/QUOTE]

Np man... to me he was the perfect running back... hard punishing runner with strong downfield vision, power and speed.  At least he was a perfect running back for a Bill coached team.  His skills made Brady's job easy in 2004 when he had over 1,600 yards... it made the game unfair to the Pats almost.  I remember Bill using Dillon masterfully to manipulate the clock like he did at the end of the Ravens game.  It was like Mariano Rivera coming in to close... the guy just closed the door.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

The Pats should try to re-sign Blount, whose contract will end at the end of this season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I noticed last night how S.Jackson was able to bring a toughness to the offense thats missing without him. Going against a San Fran team, it was key to have that bigger back who can go toe to toe with their backers and not be intimidated. I take it the same with  Blount. Lots of teams have called our offense finess and in years past, the Ravens always play a physical style but they caught off guard with the power running from Blount and could not outphysical us like they did in the past. Great pickup that could go a long way in determining our outcome. He is the perfect contrast to our potent passing game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I noticed last night how S.Jackson was able to bring a toughness to the offense thats missing without him. Going against a San Fran team, it was key to have that bigger back who can go toe to toe with their backers and not be intimidated. I take it the same with  Blount. Lots of teams have called our offense finess and in years past, the Ravens always play a physical style but they caught off guard with the power running from Blount and could not outphysical us like they did in the past. Great pickup that could go a long way in determining our outcome. He is the perfect contrast to our potent passing game.

[/QUOTE]

Agree its like an attitude or mindset.  the move ofMankins to LT seemed to make a difference... Almost like a net positive, rather than the perceived patchwork problems.  Not sure how to explain that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I felt bad for Jackson. Has he ever been on a winning team? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Per Reiss

Running backLeGarrette Blount, heading to the playoffs for the first time in his career, was wearing his AFC East division championship hat again on Tuesday ...

Happy for the guy.  He appreciates this opportunity.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Per Reiss

Running backLeGarrette Blount, heading to the playoffs for the first time in his career, was wearing his AFC East division championship hat again on Tuesday ...

Happy for the guy.  He appreciates this opportunity.

Yeah... agree since  Maybe he's finally appreciated for what he can do....  that is , after the coaches helped to bring it out...  I hope he can channel that good feeling into a continued beastly presence on the field.  I get the feeling he knows how to do just that... 

you know a little attitude is just what this team and the running game needs.  Looked like the defense found a little something also.  unbelievable how this team has kind of gelled with all the young guys and udfa's. 

But hey, the running backs are blue chippers. gotta feel good right along with ya, legarrette the legreatte...lol.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's not Dillon by a long shot, but: him, Ridley (assuming no more fumbles) and Bolden to mix it up are more than good enough as they showed today. Great win.

[/QUOTE]

Good trade by BB to dump "I want to run track" Demps for Blount. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's not Dillon by a long shot, but: him, Ridley (assuming no more fumbles) and Bolden to mix it up are more than good enough as they showed today. Great win.

[/QUOTE]

Good trade by BB to dump "I want to run track" Demps for Blount. 

[/QUOTE]

wow, forgot about that, good point. I recall a bunch of yahoos running around saying he was gonna be Devin Hester 2.0 or some other form of phenomenom just because of his speed. Im glad BB made the right move. If football is your SECOND sport?!!! No way BB is keeping you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Before we annoit him as the second coming of Corey Dillon, let's see if he can repeat the success he had in Baltimore against the Bills, this Sunday

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

shades of 2004...  ?    Could we ride this dude as our power back behind a newfound OT beast (Mankins) and a retooled offensive line  all the way to Jersey...?

[/QUOTE]

Bump.....

hey all you coolade drinkers....!   Lets have a party...!    ( dillon never ran back kickoffs did he?)

Bartender...!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

bump ....     Yeah one knock on blount was that he was no Dillon,  right ? who said that.  Anyway Blount went off EXACTLY LIKE  Dillon would go off in a game ...

For like 300 yards or some sh1t.  YOu dinks that disagreed with this premise should put that blount in your mouth and smoke it...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's our #1 back right now

[/QUOTE]

so right. :) He will lead the way to the SB.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fidd. Show Fidd's posts

Great game. Got lucky with that fumble but otherwise really solid game. Was the focal point on O and handle it well. The guy has a smile on his face every time i see him. Looks happy to be here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Before we annoit him as the second coming of Corey Dillon, let's see if he can repeat the success he had in Baltimore against the Bills, this Sunday

[/QUOTE]

Start " annoiting",  Tex....lol.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

bumpity bump, bump....lol.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Now I'm thinking Blount could be better than Dillon but still in the same mold.  Never saw Dillon do quite anything like that(last night) in a patriots uniform...  330 total yards patriots record.

hooooooeeee ...  that was fun to watch.  And who was having more fun than legarrette "the legreatte"... himself...?  

He looked like he could go another quarter...lol...    You know, that extra gear... a la Dillon. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

coolade calm down a bit, you're foaming.

Blount had a great game. The last 2 weeks he hasn't had the issue that plagued him throughout his career which is dancing behind the line. He is finally starting to run like a power running back and between him and Edelman resigned were easily two of the best pickups this offseason. However he still isn't like Dillon. Dillon did it week in and week out as the main back and Blount has really only had 1 big game in freezing rain where the weather was in his favor as part of a rotation. Now if Blount runs like he has the last two weeks for the rest of his career then yes I'd agree but until then he still has a ways to go before you can start the Dillon comparisons.

I wonder though, Blount has put the ball on the ground as much as Ridley has (I think they recovered more of Blounts though) but hasn't seen the dog house as of yet. There must be something we aren't seeing behind the scenes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

coolade calm down a bit, you're foaming.

Blount had a great game. The last 2 weeks he hasn't had the issue that plagued him throughout his career which is dancing behind the line. He is finally starting to run like a power running back and between him and Edelman resigned were easily two of the best pickups this offseason. However he still isn't like Dillon. Dillon did it week in and week out as the main back and Blount has really only had 1 big game in freezing rain where the weather was in his favor as part of a rotation. Now if Blount runs like he has the last two weeks for the rest of his career then yes I'd agree but until then he still has a ways to go before you can start the Dillon comparisons.

I wonder though, Blount has put the ball on the ground as much as Ridley has (I think they recovered more of Blounts though) but hasn't seen the dog house as of yet. There must be something we aren't seeing behind the scenes.

[/QUOTE]

Haha...  OK...  got it.  but I saw the signs earlier in the season and it has slowly and steadily come on to this juncture.  That was a coming out  " arriving" performance if ever there was one.  YOu can dismiss it go ahead.  The guy has talent.  Size , vision, a little shake and a little speed to take it to the house.   That is a rare combination so...  I think it is more likely that he will continue playing well and producing rather than your suggestion that he will fade out.  Bo Jackson was a great back but played only a short career.  We'll see but this guy blount has found a connection with BB and this coaching staff where he has found something and is playing more to his potential.  BB gets credit for this.

As for the fumbling ...  I would be more apt to dismiss that because of the weather rather than your attempt to downplay the running performace . 

And your over glorifying dillon a bit...  He had a good career and was a true workhorse for this team  for 1 year and then faded.  So you need to get off your Dillon cloud also.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Haha...  OK...  got it.  but I saw the signs earlier in the season and it has slowly and steadily come on to this juncture.  That was a coming out  " arriving" performance if ever there was one.  YOu can dismiss it go ahead.  The guy has talent.  Size , vision, a little shake and a little speed to take it to the house.   That is a rare combination so...  I think it is more likely that he will continue playing well and producing rather than your suggestion that he will fade out.  Bo Jackson was a great back but played only a short career.  We'll see but this guy blount has found a connection with BB and this coaching staff where he has found something and is playing more to his potential.  BB gets credit for this.

As for the fumbling ...  I would be more apt to dismiss that because of the weather rather than your attempt to downplay the running performace

And your over glorifying dillon a bit...  He had a good career and was a true workhorse for this team  for 1 year and then faded.  So you need to get off your Dillon cloud also.

[/QUOTE]

As I said Coolade if he can run the way he has run the last two weeks then you are right and he'll take off because he has that talent. However, if he reverts back to how he has run his entire career then the comparison isn't there. That's the thing about Blount, was he always had the talent to be a main back but he would flash that power game we saw and then disappear dancing behind the line. Don't forget in Tampa he had a couple of performances like he did yesterday only to go back to being hesistant behind the line. So provided he can stay agressive then I completely agree he has the talent and ability to make heads turn.

As for the point I highlighted it's not just this past game (as the rain makes it hard to hold onto the ball) but all year he's put the ball on the ground but most of the fumbles were recovered so they don't show up on stats. I forget where I saw it but before yesterdays game the amount of times the ball was put on the ground was nearly the same between Blount and Ridley but Ridleys turned into turn overs while Blounts largerly were recovered by the O. Now looking at those Ridley had the worse of the fumbles as two of his came with little to no contact while Blounts came with contact but the rate per carry is about the same, just not reflected because fumbles aren't listed if you don't lose the ball.

As for the Dillon comment, as a Pat his career was almost over. What I do compare him to was over a career and in which he had his best years as a Cinn. I think you are underrating his career because that was during horrible Cinn years with horrible lines to run behind and yet he was one of the most productive RBs in the league year in and year out. If you are looking solely at his Pats career it's easy to make that comment but if you watched him run in Cinn that's a comment that shouldn't be made.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Well lets just agree that we're glad Blount is playing for the NE PAtriots right now.  Is there another back you would rather have at the moment...?