'Bones' wins again, something new every time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

'Bones' wins again, something new every time

I know this isn't an MMA board. But, in light of his two brothers facing off tomorrow night, I don't think it entirely innapropriate.

I have to be honest...this was one of the most impressive wins I've seen.

Jon Jones was caught in an armbar, in the first round, that I was in disbelief watching as he didn't tap out. I've seen plenty of other fighters tapped faster to armbars that didn't et extended that far. And he was in it for a relatively long time...maybe 10-15 seconds towards full extension. On the post-fight replay, you could clearly see him grimace and grit his teeth in pain as he fought out of it. And fight out of it he did unleashing some hellacious elbows from Belfort's guard that cut him open.

Jones was never really in danger the rest of the fight, though it was obvious his right arm was hurting. He didn't extend it the rest of the fight. He was still able to use it surprisingly well for defense and elbows, but he primarily went with kicks and lefts for the remainder.

Then the submission he finished it with. Perfect. He had Belfort in an ugly position, and softened him up with some elbows first, then nearly ripped his arm off.

After the fight, Jones, when asked about the armbar, and how tight it was said; "I was honestly waiting for it to break. I've worked too hard and I wasn't going to give up." Unbelievable toughness. I've seen fighters take some serious beatings, but rarely does a guy withstand that kind of pain and go on to fight. Especially another 3 rounds, and WIN it.

He also unleashed another new toy, a straight-side kick to the body that put Belfort down in the 3rd, I believe. A body shot, that dropped his opponent. Another rare feat in the UFC; dropping someone with a body blow.

25 years old and this kid just keeps getting better. Best of all, completely humble and down to earth in the interview. Gave credit where it was due, and handed something back to a guy in his corner when he was handed it (some product nonsense) just before the interview. He looked relieved, he knew he escaped.

I see those qualities in him, and it gets me truly excited to think about the ceiling Chandler Jones has. If Chandler shares his elder brothers toughness, athleticism, dedication to work and intelligence...wow. It sure looks like it through 2 games, but that's no big sample.

Good fight....now BRING ON THE RAVENS!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: 'Bones' wins again, something new every time

yeah the new thing is he was a few seconds from defeat (and may have fought three rounds with a broken arm) then mashed belfort for 3 rounds.

i thought machida would defeat him.

if jones didnt get that choke, i believe he may have.

but jones is young and getting better and better.

machida made a mistake in the first fight. by time they fight again, jones may just defeat him becasue of his increasingly growing skills (which are vast).

funny they calling vitor the "phenom tonight". i think the phenom at light heavyweight is clearly jones.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Vitor back in the day was awesome, didn't give him much of a chance vs Bones Jones this stage of his career but he almost had him with the armbar.  Impressive for Bones to not tap to that, Vitor said he heard the arm pop.

JBJ looks unbeatable, I really want to see Anderson Silva move up and fight him.  I think that would be an amazing fight. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Didn't see it and I don't follow the sport (although I might start), but the fact that a guy would rather have his arm broke, than lose, is impressive to me. I hope his brother carries that same passion - so far it looks like he might. Talk about an amazing family...what the hell did these guys eat growing up?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Didn't see it and I don't follow the sport (although I might start), but the fact that a guy would rather have his arm broke, than lose, is impressive to me. I hope his brother carries that same passion - so far it looks like he might. Talk about an amazing family...what the hell did these guys eat growing up?

[/QUOTE]

Any and all competition...and they're still sitting at the dinner table!

2 NFL Dlineman, and the 'runt' is the best pound for pound MMA fighter in the world. He may simply be THE best fighter in the world.

It was truly impressive to watch that first round.

Kudos to Belfort who, ten years his senior, gave him one of his toughest tests to date.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

For MMA fans and non-MMA fans (like me) do yourself a favor and watch this movie,

http://www.warriorfilm.com/index2.html

Warrior Poster

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291584/

It stars Tom Hardy, Nick Nolte and Joel Edgerton.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Yes, Warrior is a good film.  Dan Hardy is great in it.  Another good fight film is The Fighter,  Micky Ward story.  It's pretty fantastic too!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Jones actually said he could feel his bones cracking in that arm bar, but said he worked too hard to give up so early. That is when a guy truly deserves the term BEAST!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Boxing is boring when you have guys from 5-10 different styles of fighting, MMA, going up agaisnt each other. Still have weight classes but you get wrsetler fighting judo guys and all sorts of cool match ups.

Boxing is just old news and it should be that way, fighting sports are evoloving fast! not to mention that if boxers ever got into a real on the street fight with an MMA fighter they would get their azz handed to them very quickly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have complete respect for what those guys do, but I am not a fan of the sport. I find it boring, actually.

Side note:  What has happened to the sport of boxing? Talk about a descent from the heyday of the 70s and 80s. Heck, I'd even take the 90s quality over what has happened to the sport. And yes, I blame Don King.

[/QUOTE]

Don King IS a large part of the problem. Obvious corruption. Too many different belts. It watered itself down to the point that it was barely watchable, then the corruption killed the rest of it. Also, HWs always carried that sport, and there haven't been any good ones since Tyson fizzled and Holeyfield got old. 2 russian brothers? What is this, Rocky? And they've never been enjoyable to watch. $50 PPV cards that had one decent fight, and when those.  fights don't deliver, it's a complete aste of money. So many issues. Boxing killed itself. Dana White has been the anti-King, bringing MMA up from the mat into the juggernaut that UFC is now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Vitor back in the day was awesome, didn't give him much of a chance vs Bones Jones this stage of his career but he almost had him with the armbar.  Impressive for Bones to not tap to that, Vitor said he heard the arm pop.

JBJ looks unbeatable, I really want to see Anderson Silva move up and fight him.  I think that would be an amazing fight. 

[/QUOTE]

that to me a few several months ago i called the fight of the century. they boith said they would never fight each other. only thing there was suddenly a chance when henderson went down adn jones refused to fight sonnen. last hours before the cancellation silva offered dana white to go ahead and fight jones and white said there was a minimum amount of notice required to make this happen and it missed by some # of hours  i dont rememeber. all this per a fighter friend of mine who is nate and nick diaz cousin. the offer wan only an effort to save the event (and presumabley will not be offered in the future)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Any and all competition...and they're still sitting at the dinner table!

2 NFL Dlineman, and the 'runt' is the best pound for pound MMA fighter in the world. He may simply be THE best fighter in the world.

It was truly impressive to watch that first round.

Kudos to Belfort who, ten years his senior, gave him one of his toughest tests to date.

[/QUOTE]

silva is unqestionably seen above jones at this point (as treh best pound for pound fighter in teh world). a few fighters may make that claim.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I grew up in Maine and a UFC fighter from Maine is moving his way up the ladder......Tim Boetsch....He has been squeaking out wins with decisions....After his next fight (end of December PPV)....Hopefully with win, he will get a shot at Anderson Silva

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Tim-Boetsch

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I grew up in Maine and a UFC fighter from Maine is moving his way up the ladder......Tim Boetsch....He has been squeaking out wins with decisions....After his next fight (end of December PPV)....Hopefully with win, he will get a shot at Anderson Silva

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Tim-Boetsch

[/QUOTE]

good luck to him to make it for a shot.

the only fight i see left for silva before he should retire is jones. and it should happen before his decline begins.. ie what happened to fedor (the greatest fighter i ever saw).

white wants this silva - gsp

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I agree, it should. MMA though, especially in the UFC is a true SPORT as much as football is. In fact, it's a lot safer for the combatants than boxing is.