Boston Globe has a pathetic NFL coverage!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Boston Globe has a pathetic NFL coverage!

Guys and Gals,
    Is it just me or I seem to get more entertainment out of these forums than the football website! I know that it's a slow time for football fans and reporters alike, but the coverage here is next to none! Although I'm not a big fan of ESPN, I must admit I love the way Mike Reiss conducts business! New articles everyday, with mailbag and chats once a week, its a haven for many Pats fan during this slow time. In contrast, does Manza Young even work for the globe anymore? Her coverage of breaking events consist of re-tweeting posts! I'm not proud to say it, but ESPN did a heck of a job in taking Mike Reiss to their playground. The quality here is sucky at best!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Re: Boston Globe has a pathetic NFL coverage!

Wait, you mean they still actaully put articles here?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

In Response to Boston Globe has a pathetic NFL coverage!:
    [QUOTE]Guys and Gals, Is it just me or I seem to get more entertainment out of these forums than the football website! I know that it's a slow time for football fans and reporters alike, but the coverage here is next to none! Although I'm not a big fan of ESPN, I must admit I love the way Mike Reiss conducts business! New articles everyday, with mailbag and chats once a week, its a haven for many Pats fan during this slow time. In contrast, does Manza Young even work for the globe anymore? Her coverage of breaking events consist of re-tweeting posts! I'm not proud to say it, but ESPN did a heck of a job in taking Mike Reiss to their playground. The quality here is sucky at best!!
    Posted by Patsfan038[/QUOTE]

Hey Patsfan038,

The forums are more informative than the football writers lately.

Shalise Manza Young seems pretty lazy/unmotivated to write anything on the Patriots. For example, her last mail bag was posted on May 20th - over a month ago and in her opening paragraph in that mail bag, she comments that she will post her next mail bag by June 2nd. Needless to say - nothing has been posted since May 2. 

Greg Bedard has some interesting articles but again - he rarely post anything in the offseason.

I understand that there is not much happening these days in the NFL but I think she could least post a mail bag once a week for those readers who would be interested. 

It comes down to effort and the time each writer is willing to dedicate to the Globe football audience and Reese is easily superior to the Globe staff both in knowledge and effort.

That's probably the reason why ESPN lured him away from the Globe in the first
    place.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

In Response to Re: Boston Globe has a pathetic NFL coverage!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Boston Globe has a pathetic NFL coverage! : Hey Patsfan038, The forums are more informative than the football writers lately. Shalise Manza Young seems pretty lazy/unmotivated to write anything on the Patriots. For example, her last mail bag was posted on May 20th - over a month ago and in her opening paragraph in that mail bag, she comments that she will post her next mail bag by June 2nd. Needless to say - nothing has been posted since May 2.  Greg Bedard has some interesting articles but again - he rarely post anything in the offseason. I understand that there is not much happening these days in the NFL but I think she could least post a mail bag once a week for those readers who would be interested.  It comes down to effort and the time each writer is willing to dedicate to the Globe football audience and Reese is easily superior to the Globe staff both in knowledge and effort. That's probably the reason why ESPN lured him away from the Globe in the first place.
    Posted by stewart7557[/QUOTE]

Amen Brother!!
    It sucks when reporters and beat writers refuse to do a good job. Your observation about Young's so called 'mail bag' fiasco puts everything in perspective. She cant hold a canlde against Mike Reiss. It's interesting that when I watch press conferences given by BB, he always refers to Mike by name and answers his questions honestly, without his trademark 'it is what it is' answer. That tells us that many in patriot's staff respect Reiss for his football acumen and knowledge and hisneutral style of writing. Globe made a big mistake letting him go and a bigger mistake in hiring Manza Young, who seems to have the football IQ of a British dude!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In defense of Shalise Manza Young I don't think anybody gives her the time of day.  That may be why she called it quits for the summer.  There just aren't enough emails to keep things going. 

Pretty much on about the staff though.  More going on here than in the Globe.  Reiss left a void that's for sure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Reiss used to work for the Patriots as well on Patriots Football Weekly, so he is known to the organization.

Reiss is the best writer out there on the Pats, but surprisingly I feel with his ESPN gig the quality of his writing has diminished - but the stats he gets from ESPN researchers is better.

To be honest there has not been much football to write about, not many players live in the area and the Globe does not have a staff that has a great relationship with the players.

Young had all her information from AD Thomas. Since he was thrown out - she has not had as much insight to the game, the team or the players that we cannot find on this board or twittah from everyday fans.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

Here is a good new site for Pats coverage...they have alot of new stuff and some good breakdown http://60maxpowero.com/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

[QUOTE]Guys and Gals, Is it just me or I seem to get more entertainment out of these forums than the football website!......
    Absolutely!  How long am I going to have to look at Cunningham's picture?  Now I go to the Herald's Rappaport's "Rap Sheet" to get info.  Globe has nothing.  At least he's reporting on the Pats.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

It isn't a Pats-Only article, but the 1 on this forum's frontpage: "Passion is in Fashion", actually really is a very decent read.  Stan Grossfeld...must be a new writer considering it's a well-penned article, based less on dirt backed by hearsay, high rhetoric, nor supercilious random musings (just like me!)...Instead it's a fact-based feel good piece, interspersed with some interesting tidbits, and placed together in a precise & well thought out manner (me, Meee, & me again...).

Here:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/06/24/lucic_welker_youkilis_garnett_embody_intensity_in_boston_sports/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10. Show mar10's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Boston Globe has a pathetic NFL coverage! : Absolutely!  How long am I going to have to look at Cunningham's picture?  Now I go to the Herald's Rappaport's "Rap Sheet" to get info.  Globe has nothing.  At least he's reporting on the Pats.
    Posted by 347pg[/QUOTE]

DITTO

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Boy,
    Mike Reiss is on a vacation and even then he has articles ready to be posted every day he is not here! That's dedication! Something that Manza Young and other reporters of this site lack, along with football IQ. Even the mailbag that Manza answered to, you can certainly see the quality being really bad!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I agree, the only reason I come to this sight is to keep up with the latest stuff through this forum, not the site itself. The Patriots are an organization that doesn't give out much information, but still it just seems like we just get next to nothing from this site.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

[QUOTE]Guys and Gals, Is it just me or I seem to get more entertainment out of these forums than the football website! I know that it's a slow time for football fans and reporters alike, but the coverage here is next to none! Although I'm not a big fan of ESPN, I must admit I love the way Mike Reiss conducts business! New articles everyday, with mailbag and chats once a week, its a haven for many Pats fan during this slow time. In contrast, does Manza Young even work for the globe anymore? Her coverage of breaking events consist of re-tweeting posts! I'm not proud to say it, but ESPN did a heck of a job in taking Mike Reiss to their playground. The quality here is sucky at best!!

Today, June 27th, we got a mailbag from Shalize. The previous mailbag posted was May 19th. That's roughly 5 weeks between mailbags . She answered 8 questions. She went on to then state that she will be gone for the next 2 weeks on vacation 

Separately, Reese will post his mail bag later today (2 days after returned from vacation).  He wlll probably respond to 25 questions (I'll grant you that Shailize answers her questions more thoroughly)  

Rappenport from the Herald reports something of substance in his daily blog almost every day.

Look - I know this is the offseason and there is a lockout but an article once every 2 weeks, no chats -  and a short mail bag every 6 weeks is a pretty weak effort.

Is Bedard a football guy? His stuff is usually very good and insightful but he hardly ever writes anything.

Clearly - if it wasnt for the forum - I would never go to the Globe in the offseason for football information because there is none.

Do I need to continue?  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

She is going on a 2 week vacation?? I thought she already was on a vacation. Oh well,
    no wonder I visit ESPN more than this site!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Boston Globe has a pathetic NFL coverage! : Today, June 27th, we got a mailbag from Shalize. The previous mailbag posted was May 19th. That's roughly 5 weeks between mailbags . She answered 8 questions. She went on to then state that she will be gone for the next 2 weeks on vacation  Separately, Reese will post his mail bag later today (2 days after returned from vacation).  He wlll probably respond to 25 questions (I'll grant you that Shailize answers her questions more thoroughly)   Look - I know this is the offseason and there is a lockout but an article once every 2 weeks, no chats -  and a short mail bag every 6 weeks is a pretty weak effort.  
    Posted by stewart7557[/QUOTE]

Hey there pal... In NO Way is it fair to pin the blame for there being "1 article every 2 weeks, zero chats, & a short mail response every 6 weeks" ON just 1 SINGLE person!  ...Considering it takes at LEAST 4 full-time Globe Reporters in order to fully make & provide ALL of their combined diehard efforts in order to provide this lofty & complete type of NFL coverage...  Sheez, some folks got alot'a nerve here, I swear If I wasn't payin' zero dollars for my membership here, I'd be as good as gone...

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Globe has a pathetic NFL coverage! : Hey there pal... In NO Way is it fair to pin the blame for there being "1 article every 2 weeks, zero chats, & a short mail response every 6 weeks" ON just 1 SINGLE person!  ...Considering it takes at LEAST 4 full-time Globe Reporters in order to fully make & provide ALL of their combined diehard efforts in order to provide this lofty & complete type of NFL coverage...  Sheez, some folks got alot'a nerve here, I swear If I wasn't payin' zero dollars for my membership here, I'd be as good as gone...
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Hi Laz,

I agree that its the entire football writing staff thats at fault. Why did you omit my reference to Greg Bedard in your response? You conveniently left that out to make an unfair point. My post was aimed at the entire Globe football staff but my focus is admittedly Shalize since she seems to be the primary football columnist.  She is the one doing the mailbag and she appears to me to be the counterpart to Rappaprt on the Herald. Every paper has a lead columnist (sometimes 2) for each major sport. So that's why my focus was Shalize.....no other reason.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Globe has a pathetic NFL coverage! : Maybe she was a bad hire then and it reflects poorly back on the Globe?  Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I realize we're not supposed to talk about it, but this is what happens when ability (or at the very least, potential ability) is not the primary consideration for employment.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

todays sports writers are like the old time rock groupies/flunkies.... they follow the players around with hero worship... and that leaves little time for actual work.... all the good ones work for some other competing outlet...

the writers that get the most feedback here at the globe are the oldtimers that have an agenda... and they irritate people to stir up the emotion and get their mouse clicks..

its all about the blogs nowadays...

laz you should write your own... get some sponsers and you could be getting the inside scoop down there in foxboro...

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Globe has a pathetic NFL coverage! : laz you p.o.s.are you dogging me?
    Posted by Mybologna[/QUOTE]

Nah man lol, I don't work like that- I just been beat up as as all he!! lately...  If ya gotta know (even though you didn't really ask, nor do you have to know, but I always say anyway)- My body's been pretty much shot over the past year and a half.  I've stated this before, but prior to being diagnosed with depression several tear's back, the ONLY thing I knew in my 20's was that I was hurtin' and miserable.  Oxycotin use, drinkin' at night for 6-7 years straight became my norm...  But that was no way to live-  Then the medical profession gets a hold'a you, and suddenly you're hooked on 27 prescriptions that they just seem to wanna throw you, And I don't want any more a that cr#p.  Nowadays, I haven't drank for 5-6 years, haven't took any illegal drug for 5 more years, I've been on a crazed quest to attempt to rid myself on being dependant on drugs...THEN on doctors. 

Now, I'm on 1 small antidepressant and my depression's fine...But half the problem's still there, the 1 that's been there forever:  Body's just hurtin'.  Stated it again & again to docs: Muscle control issues (like there's an f'n disconnect between me wantin' to relax my muscles in my head, and me being able to in reality)- Sheez, back in the day I'd just work out 2-3 times a day...EVERY day, just so I'd be exhausted enough to sleep...  Vitamin D Deficiency, Insomnia, Bloating & constipation (more than you need to know...and what'am'I on the rag?), Circulation and crazy hot & cold weather control problems...

I have EVERY single symptom of having Fibromyalgia...  But I'm a guy...I don't WANT fibromyalgia.  Being hurt means from my male perspective, That a large moving vehicle might have hit you (THIS is "hurt"), not that your body's scr#wing up all alone.  And again, so freaking sick of USA's modern medical profession...  In every bit, it seems set up the same was being in debt financially, only this time it's with your body & health.  Don't want ANY more pills...No more being in debt to some-One, or some Med, with 17 prescriptions, each with a different side effect.  Just want to be cured (but again, No $ in cure...just in the treatment).