Bottom Line - NO RECEIVERS!!!!! and PREDICTABLE PLAYCALLING!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Re: Bottom Line - NO RECEIVERS!!!!! and PREDICTABLE PLAYCALLING!!!!!

I'd like to see Brady start calling more plays at the line of scrimmage, similar to what Peyton Manning does. Survey the defense and call a play that puts the defense on their heels. Brady knows the offense better than anybody. He's been in the system for over 10yrs. I'd also like to see Edelman and Price get more playing time. When I saw Edelman in preseason against the Saints he looked great. The Saints had no answer for him. I think Welker coming back so fast has hurt Edelman's progress. I thought we would see more of Welker and Edelman on the field at the same time, driving defenses nuts trying to cover 2 quick shifty guys. The offense better wake up this week against the Steelers, because if not Zoltan Mesko is going to be on the field more than Tom Brady.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I remember hearing Andy Reid say that play calling is very over-rated.  Execution has more to do with the play working than the play itself.  Ofcourse, I'm not saying that play calling isn't important either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I guess Edelman must not be 100% healthy because I thought we would see more of him also.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

In Response to Re: Bottom Line - NO RECEIVERS!!!!! and PREDICTABLE PLAYCALLING!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]He is correct. The Patriots do not have any real threats at WR. Tate isn't getting open enough, and when he does he fails to secure the ball. Gronkowski seemingly can't run routes and drops the ball too often. Welker is sure handed, but hobbled and lacking the quick first step that used to allow him to get open more often. Branch has lost a step since his NE days -- but we knew this. Price is MIA rookie who is still schooling on how to be an NFL WR. Hern has been a pleasant surprise, but the opposing team usually locks him up with their best man, minimizing his impact. Woodhead has been great out of the backfield, but he is not a WR nor a threat to take it to the house. NE needs to address that next offseason, and continue to work with what they have right now. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

you and the original poster are 100 correct. no deep threat at all, weak running game, these areas do need to be addressed via offseason and draft, that being said, we have a 6-2 record,  you got to give bb a whole lot of credit this year with this young team in my mind he is doing one dammned good job coaching with what he has, it will only get better. go pats

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I agree with you about execution. I guess every play looks great when it is executed properly. I remember a few years ago when the Pat's were the best in the NFL at running screens. The defenses were ready for them but they were executed almost to perfection. In Response to Re: Bottom Line - NO RECEIVERS!!!!! and PREDICTABLE PLAYCALLING!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]I remember hearing Andy Reid say that play calling is very over-rated.  Execution has more to do with the play working than the play itself.  Ofcourse, I'm not saying that play calling isn't important either.
    Posted by Salcon[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Bottom Line - NO RECEIVERS!!!!! and PREDICTABLE PLAYCALLING!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bottom Line - NO RECEIVERS!!!!! and PREDICTABLE PLAYCALLING!!!!! : I don't understand the relax it's only one game? Hasn't the offense been sputtering the past 3 games? You can put your finger on game plan, personel, injuries, whatever. What has this offense shown that leads you to believe that it will be humming against the Steelers?
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Alright, I'll get serious for a moment, the fact is the Pats didn't make any major offseason FA moves or trades to enhance the running game or the Passing game.  So my expectations for this season was at best a 10-6 record.    Right now the Pats are 6-2 and far exceeding what I predicted.  Do I see the Pats beating the Steelers on sunday, I wouldn't bet my hard earned dollars on it, but with Brady anything is possible. 

The Pats aren't perfect, but what team in the AFC is?  The Jets are overrated, the Colts have a ton of injuries, SD is MIA, and injury bug is starting up on the Steelers.  So right now no team is without issues.   

I'm just saying that if the Pats can make it through the season without injuries, the Pats youth might carry them deep into the playoffs.  Pats fans should be nothing but happy with a 6-2 record at this point in the season and still in the AFC east championship hunt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

This isn't genius stuff but we need to pass more on first down to set up the run rather than vice versa. Our usual first down runs have been mostly ineffective leaving defenses to blow out the OLine on 2nd and 3rd and long.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

[QUOTE] This isn't genius stuff but we need to pass more on first down to set up the run rather than vice versa. Our usual first down runs have been mostly ineffective leaving defenses to blow out the OLine on 2nd and 3rd and long.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Agreed, in our SB winning days, the pass set up the run.  This week, against the aggressive Steelers, perfect opportunity for the short passes, screens to temper the pass rush and set up the run.  Somehow, if Edlemen is healthy we need to get him into the game plan.  4 wide and shred the Steelers D.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

@BBReigns:  Nice coverage of all possibilites!  Joker!

Do not be surprised if NE explodes on offense on Sunday night. I am not saying 30+ points, but keeping control of the ball, well run drives, etc.

They MIGHT explode so i have that base covered, but if they dont, my plan B prognostication is ball control (Which is anti-explosion)

But don't pay attention to that little fact..

Hilarious dude!  You are becoming a fun read!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It's quite possible that the problems with the play calling and the problems with the receivers and running backs go hand-in-hand.  This team has pretty good slot receivers and tight ends, but no great wideouts and no great running back.  Because of this, we have to rely very heavily on our short passing game. The offense moves best when the running game is working--but if the running game sputters as it did in Cleveland, we become very one-dimensional, because we don't have a good deep game and all Brady can do is throw underneath.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

Edalman isn't good enough to be on the field. If he was, he'd be playing.  Not my opinion, thats the In Bill We Trust philosophy.  Sorry to burst that "Tres Muchacho Blancos" dream everyone has.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriotsftball. Show Patriotsftball's posts

Fact - The numbers are way down for Brady since Moss left...It's a fact... Passer rating down from 109 to 58 and yards per pass catch down 1.3 yards a catch... If you have no deep threat that forces a defense to play a DB over the top things are going to get real thin underneath...That is a fact...

You have to have a WR who can stretch the field in this league unless you have one heck of a running game...

Yes we are 6-2!!! But watch what happens from here on in...

Tom Brady does not have a go to guy anymore and it will hurt this offense...
    Guys just are not getting open and it's has a lot to do with the coverage defenses are now able to use...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriotsftball. Show Patriotsftball's posts

This post was not started because of a Cleveland loss... Yes teams have bad games!!!

This post was started because of the rapid lack of production since the only deep threat/threat at all on the field for the Patriots offense left...Just stating a fact that someone on the staff/front office should have had a backup plan before you handcuff your offense with a bunch of solid yes solid rookie prospects and some outside WR's that have not proven themselves yet and some who have lost a step OR TWO...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Edalman isn't good enough to be on the field. If he was, he'd be playing.  Not my opinion, thats the In Bill We Trust philosophy.  Sorry to burst that "Tres Muchacho Blancos" dream everyone has.   
    Posted by SShoreLurker[/QUOTE]

Also, Edelman isn't what we really need (Welker already plays that role just fine, thank you, and Branch is also more of an intermediate, possession-type receiver).  We need a real deep threat--or really two of them.  Tate has the speed for the role and some shiftiness too, but he isn't running great routes and he hasn't shown great hands.  Moss (when he was here this season) also wasn't that effective--he wasn't getting open consistently and he seemed to be having concentration and effort lapses.  Price is apparently not good enough to get on the field yet.  So there's a real gap here for the Pats--but this is a team that's rebuilding and you can't fill every blank all at once.  Give us a year or two and the offense will be better.  In the meantime, just sit back and be amazed (and appreciative) that our rebuilding team is still one of the best in the NFL.  We New England fans are really a bit spoiled . . .  how would you like to be a Dallas fan right now? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10fern. Show mar10fern's posts

[QUOTE]All the doom and gloom.  Must be in the New Englander's blood lines.  Proably the years of watching the Sox until 2004 have done that to you.  If the Patriots team of 2001 could win a Superbowl with that collection of receivers on offense than this should be easy.  Branch is nursing a hamstring injury and is playing at half speed, the drops that Hernandez had against Baltimore and Gronkowski had against Cleveland are just part of the learning curve.  The Pats will go back to Welker more often, more screens and short stuff that they always did before Moss arrived.  The D is a work in progress but don't dwell to much on a very bad loss.  They were down 10 points in the 1st 4 minutes before Brady was even on the field.  Even though totally outplayed in that 1st half, the Pats were driving with the ball on Cleveland's 8 with 2 time outs left with the fumble at the 2.  It wasn't their day all day and put it to bed.  I'm just hoping to at least split the games against Pittsburgh and Indy and they will be fine.  Relax.  And next year is even looking better. Things will sort themselves out.  Let the season play out.
    Posted by sportsnut4[/QUOTE]

You're right on the mark!  If they could win with the receivers they had in 2001 then Brady will be fine with this collection of pass catchers.  Relax they're in the mix...What more could you ask for?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10fern. Show mar10fern's posts

[QUOTE]Fact - The numbers are way down for Brady since Moss left...It's a fact... Passer rating down from 109 to 58 and yards per pass catch down 1.3 yards a catch... If you have no deep threat that forces a defense to play a DB over the top things are going to get real thin underneath...That is a fact... You have to have a WR who can stretch the field in this league unless you have one heck of a running game... Yes we are 6-2!!! But watch what happens from here on in... Tom Brady does not have a go to guy anymore and it will hurt this offense... Guys just are not getting open and it's has a lot to do with the coverage defenses are now able to use...
    Posted by Patriotsftball[/QUOTE]

Brady's passer rating went from 109 to 58?  This is a fact? You might want to check your facts!  Do the correct facts make a dent in your argument?Undecided

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I have Mendenhall on my fantasy roster should I play him this week?? If the Patriots want to get fancy all they have to do is put Woodhead out wide and let him run sprints all day! The Guy runs a 4.3 40... That will keep Troy 43 and a CB busy all day,leaving Gimpy I and II the middle of the field to work in. Another thing that needs too happen is Brady needs to get the ball quicker than the last tick on the clock as the longer it takes for him to read the defenses the longer the O-line has to hold their stances,which weakens their positions. This is a tough matchup especially in Pittsburgh,hopefully the Shaggydog will be able to hit one of his receivers with a pass instead of throwing it into the 3rd row. Cut your hair Brady maybe you can see where you are throwing the ball to.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Are ther any decent WR's out there unsigned at this point?  Where is our former #2 pick Florida Gator Chad Jackson?  Worth another look - he had the deep speed, didn't he?  How about ex Giant Matk Ingram, where is he now?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Bottom Line  6-2!!!!!!!!!  Troll!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Patriotsftball...   so, I guess you were not around for the teams of 2001 thru 2004, otherwise you would have had a field day with the "no receivers" bit.  From your posting, you would trade those SB trophies for a team with "big name" receivers?  A team does not have to have big name receivers to win, that is why it is called a TEAM!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

[QUOTE]Patriotsftball...   so, I guess you were not around for the teams of 2001 thru 2004, otherwise you would have had a field day with the "no receivers" bit.  From your posting, you would trade those SB trophies for a team with "big name" receivers?  A team does not have to have big name receivers to win, that is why it is called a TEAM!!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

yeah the receivers were Bruschi, Law, Semour, wilfork, and the rest of the D If we had a D like that the receivers we have now would be good enough

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

NO receivers and no running game

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

[QUOTE]He is correct. The Patriots do not have any real threats at WR. Tate isn't getting open enough, and when he does he fails to secure the ball. Gronkowski seemingly can't run routes and drops the ball too often. Welker is sure handed, but hobbled and lacking the quick first step that used to allow him to get open more often. Branch has lost a step since his NE days -- but we knew this. Price is MIA rookie who is still schooling on how to be an NFL WR. Hern has been a pleasant surprise, but the opposing team usually locks him up with their best man, minimizing his impact. Woodhead has been great out of the backfield, but he is not a WR nor a threat to take it to the house. NE needs to address that next offseason, and continue to work with what they have right now. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]
    This is absurd.  Gronkowski is awesome. He does not drop the ball to much. In the first game when he carried the defender 6 yards for a TD he was awesome.  He tries again and fumbles and now he drops the ball a lot?  They had a bad game. Who cares.  They are young and maybe this year will be a learning year.  Maybe not.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3928595. Show user_3928595's posts

[QUOTE]All the doom and gloom.  Must be in the New Englander's blood lines.  Proably the years of watching the Sox until 2004 have done that to you.  If the Patriots team of 2001 could win a Superbowl with that collection of receivers on offense than this should be easy.  Branch is nursing a hamstring injury and is playing at half speed, the drops that Hernandez had against Baltimore and Gronkowski had against Cleveland are just part of the learning curve.  The Pats will go back to Welker more often, more screens and short stuff that they always did before Moss arrived.  The D is a work in progress but don't dwell to much on a very bad loss.  They were down 10 points in the 1st 4 minutes before Brady was even on the field.  Even though totally outplayed in that 1st half, the Pats were driving with the ball on Cleveland's 8 with 2 time outs left with the fumble at the 2.  It wasn't their day all day and put it to bed.  I'm just hoping to at least split the games against Pittsburgh and Indy and they will be fine.  Relax.  And next year is even looking better. Things will sort themselves out.  Let the season play out.
    Posted by sportsnut4[/QUOTE]

FINALLY someone injects a modicom of common sense to this thread! Perfectly said sportsnut4!