Brace WILL have a IMPACT this year!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

Brace WILL have a IMPACT this year!!

He has a year in our system,played some time and has been getting stronger with our strength and conditioning coaches...expect him to come into camp fit!!! Wilfork has been teaching and will teach him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: Brace WILL have a IMPACT this year!!

I was tougher on the Ron Brace draft selection last year, than I am now.  Even though imho Brace showed better flashes of his abilities in preseason than during the actual season, I think many of us have been unduly hard on this guy.  Wilfork was himself largely a non-factor during his rookie year.  Wilfork on the line, bolstered by Jarvis, TBC, Warren and with the emergence of Daryll Richard meant that Brace's opportunities were very limited.  Yet, he really didn't show the most of them as the season wore on.  However, Brace has all the attributes needed for success:  From what I read about him, he has a great attitude and humble selfless demeanor.  From a physical standpoint, the guy's like 6'3 and something like 330 lbs and even though he shows a ridiculously good first step of speed at the line for a man of that size, it IS the overalll strength and conditioning aspect of his game that needs serious work.  Recall a play in preseason of him chasing a runner down from behind...to me it showed great hustle and I hope therefore a work-ethic of really "wanting" it.  Hope I'm right and hope it continues...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hagen910. Show hagen910's posts

In Response to Brace WILL have a IMPACT this year!!:
    He has a year in our system,played some time and has been getting stronger with our strength and conditioning coaches...expect him to come into camp fit!!! Wilfork has been teaching and will teach him.
    Posted by patriots1a2

i'm torn on brace.  on draft day I thought we got a stud.  Maybe playing next to bj raja at bc upped his value.  I think I know that this guy has all the talent in the world, but needed time to adjust to the 3-4 coming from a 4-3.  not used to taking on 2 blockers at a time in the 3-4.  just a theory.  time will tell.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I think he's a run-blocker only.  He will excel at third and one, and against running teams.

(Now I can finish.)  I like that BB defended Brace's play in mid-December.  BB always supports the fragile egos of the struggling rookies and knocks them down when the rookies don't struggle, but there was an element of truth in his Brace comments.  I think rookie Brace flubbed his job against the Jets in September but got better by December.

It takes 11 guys to play defense not counting role players, and maybe somebody else on the team was hurting in December.   I saw Brace double-teamed once and he was taken out of the play, but was the double team his fault, or a sign of modest respect from the opponent?

So, this guy will never have first round potential (Seymour was #6, Ty Warren was #13, Wilfork was #21), but maybe he'll be a decent second rounder when he learns the delicate art of playing his role in (maybe not anymore, but it was two years ago) the NFL's most complex defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The guy had a back injury before the draft that he played through at BC. What the injury was or if it effected him last year I have no idea, but I'd be willing to bet it effected him last year. This guy is to big and played to well at BC to play that poorly last year. Plus a guy like Belichek and Floyd Reese have a good history on drafting D lineman to wiff this badly. I think you'll see alot more out of him next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

In Response to Brace WILL have a IMPACT this year!!:
    Posted by patriots1a2

Its difficult to say how he will preform but what scares the bajesus outta me is this, THE STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING COACHES FOR THE PATRIOTS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

his only impact will be busting and then getting cut

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I think Brace will develop just fine and eventually move into the position over Wilfork down the road. I think he will get come playing time and do better but I don't know about making a big impact. He has time to develop now and I think we will be glad to have Brace should Wilfork get hurt. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

He had a promising summer then vanished.  I don't know what to think. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Brace barely played last year. 

When he did, he would get pushed around like a rag doll.

I hope there was something physically wrong with him, cause I'm very concerned.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In Response to Re: Brace WILL have a IMPACT this year!!:
    what scares the bajesus outta me is this, THE STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING COACHES FOR THE PATRIOTS.
    Posted by Stompper

One scout had Big Brace as "a human avalanche".  Apparently there wasn't any active NFL player with which to compare this guy's strength.  The Pats are rumored to have the best conditioning coaches in the NFL.  I don't know if the staff can make him even stronger and still leave him that quick first step off the line, but if they can just teach him how to use his hands for better leverage, he's going to be a wall. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

brace was horrible last season. he was fat and didnt seem strong at all, plus he had zero technique. the few times he got in a game the opposing team ran right at him and he was pushed out of the way and then quickly benched. none of us knows what goes on behind the scenes, but hopefully he has been working hard on strength and conditioning and even harder on technique. he has the size (and hopefully the talent based on his draft position) to break the rotation this year and be a good back-up for wilfork for a few years. it would be pretty shocking if he is ever more than that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Well, he can't do any less.

Well, I guess he could sprint from the sideline and drill Brady. But aside from that, seeing him on the field, or knowing what number he wears would be a major improvement.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: Brace WILL have a IMPACT this year!!: Thank you. Brace stinks. A stupid pick, and if this is what we pick with "stockpiled"  draft picks in trade-downs, we are in further trouble. Maybe they can find a place for this mound of silly putty as an extra blocker on 3rd and inches situations. His name is Bust Brace. By the way, he wasn't even very good in college...benefitted mightily by playing alongside Raji.
    Brace barely played last year.  When he did, he would get pushed around like a rag doll. I hope there was something physically wrong with him, cause I'm very concerned.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I mentioned this before but the notes I read about Brace after the draft was he had the size and strength but was lacking technique which tells me it will take 2 to 3 years to be ready to actually play that position at a competant level.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jayfin. Show Jayfin's posts

What's with all the "our" and "we"....you guys work for the Patriots? Get real.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Very few rookies come in and perform from Day 1.  I agree, we should give Brace some time, I think he will be a solid backup NT and a good run stopper.  And jayfin, get off the board if you want to be like that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

jayfin beat it you chump.