Brady and Pats Close to Deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Re: Brady and Pats Close to Deal?

i kind of think the colts were just waiting for the brady deal to get done so they could make sure to pay gayton more. they are not a class organization. not class at all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

I'm very surprised it's only 3 years but estatic of course.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

In Response to Re: Brady and Pats Close to Deal?:
    [QUOTE]Afraid he is right? I can't wait for Mankins to go. I don't want thim arriving in week 10 pretending he deserves to play and having it be uncomfortable when he doesn't play. I'd take a bad team's 2011 2nd rounder right now. Or, a legit player swap to help out the D somewhere.
    Posted by ClarkGriswold[/QUOTE]

What team would take Mankins without a contract? 
    What team would be willing to pay Mankins what he wants AND give up a draft pick that the pats would ask for in order to do the deal?  
    Why would the pats let him go for nothing? 

I see Mankins coming back in the 10th week (or whenever required) and being seated on the bench or simply asked to stay away (while getting paid) until the season is over.  At that time

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

The deal's not quite done yet: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4682845/sources-bradys-deal-not-done-yet

I was waiting for ESPN Boston to confirm and this is the latest from them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I wonder if Brady gets a bonus for an extension. That would at least get him more $ for this season then his 6 mil.

Supposedly Brady and Moss went to dinner together last night. I hope Brady gave him a pep talk.

I wonder if Moss knew Brady was about to get this deal and that's why he spoke out to the media yesterday?

Keep your head on for one more year Randy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]i kind of think the colts were just waiting for the brady deal to get done so they could make sure to pay gayton more. they are not a class organization. not class at all.
    Posted by sirpinochle[/QUOTE]

LOL - Hypocrisy at its best.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Why only 3 years? I was expecting at least 4 years for this guy. This contract im not worried about. I am worried about the one after 3 years that will "burn bridges" and have people taking sides. This team is young and built for the long term.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Everyone talks about Manning's deal being potentially larger than Brady's.  You know why?  Simply put, the Colts WANT to make their deal better than anything the Pats put forth for TB.  If they can beat it by $1, they will just to have the bragging rights.  Of the two QBs, I can see Brady not caring about whether he is the highest paid or not (he has said so much) while Manning probably does care, given he apparently needs the money.  Look at all the commercials he does!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Great for us and it shows again that Tom is not willing to bankrupt the team for his ego. I really think he does not care much on what Gayton gets in his contract at all. Now I hope Randy stops with the crying about his contract in public and plays hard and he will be taken care of. If he keeps it in the media he will be gone next year and I would not want that to happen as long as he is putting up 1000 plus yards still under mostly double coverage.

Go Pats!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

As an extension completed *before* the beginning of his contract season, you treat the value over the four years instead of three. The $58 million is added into the remaining $3.5 million he earns this season. In reality, it enriches the final season of his last deal, which was very cheap. In that respect, this is a $15 million per season extension. 

Essentially, Brady makes five million more per season that his last contract, and only $750,000 more per than Manning's current deal. In total potential, he makes less than Sam Bradford (who looks really talented) with this deal.

I think it is a win-win, but suffice it to say ... on the open market, Tom Brady likely commands more money than any QB in the league, and with the Bradford deal in the books ... he could state the case for $20-25 million per season. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

I honestly doubt they resign Wes when it becomes time to as they will have a cheaper option in Edelman. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Why only 3 years? I was expecting at least 4 years for this guy. This contract im not worried about. I am worried about the one after 3 years that will "burn bridges" and have people taking sides. This team is young and built for the long term.
    Posted by Boston-kyle[/QUOTE]

I am going to go ahead and guess that the three years has to do with flexibility. A longer deal limits how much wiggle room they have to renegotiate in the future. It jacks up the cost of the contract. Next season, or the season after once the new rules are in position, they can revisit the contract with some space to work with. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]I honestly doubt they resign Wes when it becomes time to as they will have a cheaper option in Edelman. 
    Posted by Pancakespwn[/QUOTE]

Agreed, he's the odd man out here. Not to mention, the injury and the hits he's taken.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

How much do you think (of the 58 M) will be in the form of a signing bonus? He may take what seems like less but if a big chunk is paid up front then it may be a great deal for both.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

If Brady can agree to take a 3-yr deal rather than holding the team hostage for a longer term deal for ridiculous money, I think he sets the tone for future deals for other players.  They aren't just gonna hand out huge, long-term deals for anyone in Foxboro.  I know Tom is getting paid a lot of money, but that contract is more than reasonable for a top 3 QB.  Who's next?  Moss?  Mankins? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

[QUOTE]As an extension completed *before* the beginning of his contract season, you treat the value over the four years instead of three. The $58 million is added into the remaining $3.5 million he earns this season. In reality, it enriches the final season of his last deal, which was very cheap. In that respect, this is a $15 million per season extension.  Essentially, Brady makes five million more per season that his last contract, and only $750,000 more per than Manning's current deal. In total potential, he makes less than Sam Bradford (who looks really talented) with this deal. I think it is a win-win, but suffice it to say ... on the open market, Tom Brady likely commands more money than any QB in the league, and with the Bradford deal in the books ... he could state the case for $20-25 million per season. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Close but not quite.

Brady's 2010 Cap figure is a better proxy to use than his 3.5 min salary figure for comparison purposes. So basically this is a $10m+ $58m = 4 years for $68m deal, so on average $17m. This is just higher than Eli Manning and Philip Rivers. Brady could have demanded and commanded more no doubt. As usual Brady is taking a fair deal leaning towards a home discount.  

Thank god we have Brady.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

If im not mistaken, Brady got alot of money up front in his last contract making his 3.5 mil this season not quiet accurate.  The pats and Brady both know this and I bet it factors into the current offer on the table.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Why only 3 years?
    Posted by 123meg[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!!!!!! 3 years..... weird

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]I honestly doubt they resign Wes when it becomes time to as they will have a cheaper option in Edelman. 
    Posted by Pancakespwn[/QUOTE]

Maybe Edelman should actually show he can stay healthy and play receiver in this league before you guys bury Wes Welker.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]Great for us and it shows again that Tom is not willing to bankrupt the team for his ego. I really think he does not care much on what Gayton gets in his contract at all. Now I hope Randy stops with the crying about his contract in public and plays hard and he will be taken care of. If he keeps it in the media he will be gone next year and I would not want that to happen as long as he is putting up 1000 plus yards still under mostly double coverage. Go Pats!!
    Posted by raptor64d[/QUOTE]

Do you really believe your own lies?  At 19.33 mill per year and the highest per year contract in history, how do you call that NOT bankrupting the team for his ego. 

I am not saying Manning isn't going to do the same, but to suggest that getting paid the highest salary in league history doesn't hamstring his team is ridiculous.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5542616

It looks like this deal is not a lock. Also note the 19 mil per year???

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady and Pats Close to Deal? : Exactly!!!!!!!! 3 years..... weird
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

I'm wearing my kevlar vest now to protect me, but just maybe it's related to his recent injury woes.  Brady's ability to stay healthy has been a hot topic of mine lately.  Some/many on this board feel I'm crazy.  As I see it, he has had a harder time staying healthy over the last few years.  Although he usually plays through his injuries, they have effected his play.  Nobody can deny Brady is a great QB.  There is no other QB I would rather have on my team.  That said, there is a cold hard reality in the NFL.  Players who start getting injured more than in the past usually don't get fewer with age.  Maybe, just maybe, that was on the back of the Pats minds...  I think it will be a fair deal if that is what it is.  If Brady is still Brady they will retain him yet again.

Now for my critics...I'm sure the foot injury in the 2007 playoffs, knee in 2008, ribs and broken finger in 2009 were all just fluke injuries that required all of the planets to be aligned in a special way right?  I'm not saying the guy is McNabb, but I am saying 3 years would be a proper sized deal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

[QUOTE]http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5542616 It looks like this deal is not a lock. Also note the 19 mil per year???
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Ya ESPN is reporting it that way since they didn't get the scoop.  They'll couch it so they can say they got the story.  Typical ESPN BS.  They did the same with Paul Pierce's and Shaq's deals.

The deal is really 4 years since the current contract is still in place.  Basically, Brady still has a chance for another payday.