Brady apparently lost trust in Amendola

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

Re: Brady apparently lost trust in Amendola

I'm not sure who, but someone on this thread mentioned BB trying to prove he can turn a JAG into a HOF'er, and I think this is very true.  BB believes too much in value and not talent.  and tries to outsmart everyone too much and it often backfires: (Ocho/Haynesworth/Tebow/etc. etc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tom Brady has to be the hardest QB to build around.

[/QUOTE]

How can you say that?

What we have experienced is the Pats DO NOT bring in skilled WRs for Brady to throw to like we see compliment many of the top flight QBs in the league.  If Brady is that hard to build around, how is it the WRs he does get seem to do so well considering their relative lack of play making capabilities?  Also, I do not recall Brady throwing any of his teammates under the bus.  He works hard with whoever he has to throw to.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to theshinez's comment:

I'm not sure who, but someone on this thread mentioned BB trying to prove he can turn a JAG into a HOF'er, and I think this is very true.  BB believes too much in value and not talent.  and tries to outsmart everyone too much and it often backfires: (Ocho/Haynesworth/Tebow/etc. etc.

This is backed up by his extremely strong faith in the fact Brady improves whoever he is given to throw to on the offensive side of the ball to score points and overcome defensive shortcomings.  IE - Brady made Welker who he is today by having him improve his skillsets while with Brady.  With Manning, Welker is simply being Welker.  Overall, BB gives cred to the fact the sum of all the parts is greater than one.  He believes in TEAM building and not rely on one key player other than TB.  The depth of the Pats is what got them to the AFCCG considering other NFL teams who would have suffered similar injuries to so many key players may not have.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I've got some issues with this whole narrative.  Tom Brady is a fantastic QB.  Bill Belichick and his team are pretty darned good at personnel.  Sure they've had misses (Chad Jackson), but generally speaking the pats pure personnel misses have been as few as any in the league (no one is perfect).  That along with great coaching is a major (probably primary) reason for their continued success. 

This year did not turn out as expected for Brady with his receivers, but the only one missing who should not have been missing was Hernandez.  Hernandez was a nice player but he was Brady's 3rd or 4th option (talk about a talented line up). 

Brady knew he was going into 2014 without his old receivers.  He still threw for over 4000 yards.  If Brady's got an issue with his receivers, then it is his job to solve those problems unless he simply wants new batches to come in year after year until his playing days are over. 

I'll get killed for this but so what - I sometimes wonder if Brady's passion has waned - Not during the season, but during the offseason.  He's got a young family and a wonderful life.  New receivers mean lots and lots of extra work getting on the same page.  And that comes in the offseason.  I know he does some work, but does he do enough?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the thing is there's no-one out there the Pats are willing pay, I say keep him and make him workout and go to every mini camp. Build TB trust in him.

[/QUOTE]

...I think it's a situation of Amendola not being able to get open. Period.

[/QUOTE]

One of the networks had a segment towards the end of the season and they were remarking how many times Brady threw into coverage while Amendola was wide open.  The O-line isn't as stout as it once was and Brady no longer has 10 seconds to evaluate.  He's already pre-disposed to go to the primary receiver at the snap...not always Amendola.  If BB could beef up the O-line next year, we might see a return to "the open man" concept of the past.  TB has always done better when he's had a monster line in front of him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

UD...  I see your points, but, Brady does not control who BB brings into the fold.  I also do not know about the passion issue.  Maybe what happened this season is a combination of some lack of patience and sitting on the bench seeing the D give up drive after drive in which he has no control.  Consider, and I have to use Manning as a comparison since these two are linked at the hip, so as to speak:

Year after year, it is said all over the air waves and in print media, Manning has had the pleasure of having a very good to great group of receivers to throw to for years.  You'll be able to rattle off numerous potential HoF receivers he has had on his offense, and I mean not just for a year or two, for many seasons.  He comes to Denver and he still gets a great group to throw to.  We can't deny that.  Brady, on the other hand, is always mentioned as having a derth of play making receivers to throw to, which was mentioned constantly this season, and he still got over 4000 yards, as you note.  Most likely, the only HoF receiver Brady may ever be mentioned in the same breath as having thrown to is Moss and, possibly, Welker.  Gronk is a work in progress if he lasts that long.

Lastly, I'll add this:  Manning was drafted to BE the #1 QB for his team and the offense was built around him to enable him to excel at that position.  He accomplished what was expected of him and much more.  Brady was drafted #199 and as good as he was early in his career, it really wasn't until the 2006 - 2007 season in which his passing skills were being seen for what they are, comparable to Manning.  Even still, the Pats never really pursued or built an offense around Brady to give him the kind of weapons Manning has enjoyed his entire career.  Your view point may be different, but, IMHO, that is the way I have observed this all these years. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to 347pg's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

the thing is there's no-one out there the Pats are willing pay, I say keep him and make him workout and go to every mini camp. Build TB trust in him.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One of the networks had a segment towards the end of the season and they were remarking how many times Brady threw into coverage while Amendola was wide open.  The O-line isn't as stout as it once was and Brady no longer has 10 seconds to evaluate.  He's already pre-disposed to go to the primary receiver at the snap...not always Amendola.  If BB could beef up the O-line next year, we might see a return to "the open man" concept of the past.  TB has always done better when he's had a monster line in front of him.

[/QUOTE]

Name a QB who didn't?  Manning did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  If the Pats want to get the most out of Brady, this should be their area of concentration in FA/Draft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

.....  TB has always done better when he's had a monster line in front of him.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  If the Pats want to get the most out of Brady, this should be their area of concentration in FA/Draft.

[/QUOTE]

This fact seems to be lost by many, especially Rusty, who thinks it is all Brady's fault himself for any shortcomings in the Patriots' offense.  TB can't block AND pass.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

UD...  I see your points, but, Brady does not control who BB brings into the fold.  I also do not know about the passion issue.  Maybe what happened this season is a combination of some lack of patience and sitting on the bench seeing the D give up drive after drive in which he has no control.  Consider, and I have to use Manning as a comparison since these two are linked at the hip, so as to speak:

Year after year, it is said all over the air waves and in print media, Manning has had the pleasure of having a very good to great group of receivers to throw to for years.  You'll be able to rattle off numerous potential HoF receivers he has had on his offense, and I mean not just for a year or two, for many seasons.  He comes to Denver and he still gets a great group to throw to.  We can't deny that.  Brady, on the other hand, is always mentioned as having a derth of play making receivers to throw to, which was mentioned constantly this season, and he still got over 4000 yards, as you note.  Most likely, the only HoF receiver Brady may ever be mentioned in the same breath as having thrown to is Moss and, possibly, Welker.  Gronk is a work in progress if he lasts that long.

Lastly, I'll add this:  Manning was drafted to BE the #1 QB for his team and the offense was built around him to enable him to excel at that position.  He accomplished what was expected of him and much more.  Brady was drafted #199 and as good as he was early in his career, it really wasn't until the 2006 - 2007 season in which his passing skills were being seen for what they are, comparable to Manning.  Even still, the Pats never really pursued or built an offense around Brady to give him the kind of weapons Manning has enjoyed his entire career.  Your view point may be different, but, IMHO, that is the way I have observed this all these years. 

[/QUOTE]
    Fair points AGC, but although Brady does not have control over who is brought in, he should be controlling them somewhat after they are brought in.  Lil Wayne is interviewed by Peter King in this morning's MMQB.  Lil Wayne has a story of a guy who used to pick up trash between 4-5 AM at the high school that the Manning's attended.  Frequently when he was there, also there were the Manning family working on their games. 

As for watching the defense get killed, welcome to Manning's world.  I suppose you could be right, Brady has been spoiled by having defenses that have historically performed.  Not having that puts more pressure on Brady to do the winning.  Again, welcome to Manning's world.  None of that has changed for Manning, even in Denver. 

As for Manning's receivers - yes he had Marvin Harrison who was picked after Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn and who was a good receiver but not special until Manning came along (look at the stats).  And yes he has had other wonderful receivers but the question is how much of those receivers excellence can be attributed to Manning's demands of them and the work they put in together in the offseason.  Manning developed receivers like Garcon and Collie (who pats fans loved in his s hort work with the team), Marcus Pollard and Jacob Tamme. 

Damaryius Thomas was a nice receiver who hadn't done a great deal until Manning arrived.  Manning tripled his production.  Manning doubled Decker's production, and no one thought Decker would be special.  Julius Thomas had 1 NFL reception before playing with Manning. 

I honestly don't believe that Manning is as physically gifted as Brady (certainly not now), so I believe Manning has to work harder.  I think he makes his receivers work harder.  Manning wants to be great, and I assume Brady does too.  That can't be accomplished unless the QB gets his receivers on his page.  I just find it difficult to make an assumption that at the end of the year Brady may have trusted a mid-season guy like Collie more than a full season guy like Amendola. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Apparently Brady lost trust in all of his receivers not named Julian Edelman....

And as the OP alludes to, Amendola was wide open on a crossing route but our coaches called for another long down field play instead of playing the odds with the s h o r t passing and running game to move chains and keep the opposing record breaking offense off the damn field.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Apparently Brady lost trust in all of his receivers not named Julian Edelman....

And as the OP alludes to, Amendola was wide open on a crossing route but our coaches called for another long down field play instead of playing the odds with the s h o r t passing and running game to move chains and keep the opposing record breaking offense off the damn field.

[/QUOTE]

Sometimes long plays are called just to keep the defense honest even if they fail, no different than runs that don't gain yards.  If a defense knows that it only has to play a team one way, then the offense has lost a strategic advantage. 

That said, if Brady throws to covered receiver when another receiver is open, then I put that on the QB unless it was a timing play that got a favorable match up. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've got some issues with this whole narrative.  Tom Brady is a fantastic QB.  Bill Belichick and his team are pretty darned good at personnel.  Sure they've had misses (Chad Jackson), but generally speaking the pats pure personnel misses have been as few as any in the league (no one is perfect).  That along with great coaching is a major (probably primary) reason for their continued success. 

This year did not turn out as expected for Brady with his receivers, but the only one missing who should not have been missing was Hernandez.  Hernandez was a nice player but he was Brady's 3rd or 4th option (talk about a talented line up). 

Brady knew he was going into 2014 without his old receivers.  He still threw for over 4000 yards.  If Brady's got an issue with his receivers, then it is his job to solve those problems unless he simply wants new batches to come in year after year until his playing days are over. 

I'll get killed for this but so what - I sometimes wonder if Brady's passion has waned - Not during the season, but during the offseason.  He's got a young family and a wonderful life.  New receivers mean lots and lots of extra work getting on the same page.  And that comes in the offseason.  I know he does some work, but does he do enough?

[/QUOTE]

Well put.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

Sometimes long plays are called just to keep the defense honest even if they fail, no different than runs that don't gain yards.  If a defense knows that it only has to play a team one way, then the offense has lost a strategic advantage. 

That said, if Brady throws to covered receiver when another receiver is open, then I put that on the QB unless it was a timing play that got a favorable match up. 

[/QUOTE]

Except that long plays have a much less chance of gaining yards then running, especially when you are a more then capable running team but almost the worst deep ball team in the league....and when throwing to a receiver with 1 career reception, well then, id say the odds get even worse. I rather would have ran blount 3 straight times into a wall of defenders.

Food for thought everybody...All of Tom Brady's six passing tds in our 3 super bowl victories came on play action fakes. Must have been due to having dominant running backs like Antawoin Smith....or because we ran a lot, no matter how ineffective the run game was.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LOL at Rusty.  Show me another QB in the league who can do what TFB did with this offense?  Please, give me just one name!!

[/QUOTE]

Imagine if Manning were throwing to:

1.  Failed QB turned kick returner turned wide out

2.  Injury guy who can't get open

3.  Undrafted rookie

4.  Dropson

5.  Blocking tight end

6.  Blocking tight end

7.  Mid-season waiver wire pick

8.  Slater

LOL

What a joke.  Mastermind Best GM of All Time and that's his effort?  It looks to me like he was asleep from the loss to Baltimore until August and his grandchildren were running the team.

[/QUOTE]

So true. Puts it in perspective doesn't it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Except that long plays have a much less chance of gaining yards then running, especially when you are a more then capable running team but almost the worst deep ball team in the league....and when throwing to a receiver with 1 career reception, well then, id say the odds get even worse. I rather would have ran blount 3 straight times into a wall of defenders.

Food for thought everybody...All of Tom Brady's six passing tds in our 3 super bowl victories came on play action fakes. Must have been due to having dominant running backs like Antawoin Smith....or because we ran a lot, no matter how ineffective the run game was.

[/QUOTE]

BUT...what happens when the defense stuffs your otherwise very effective running game as the broncos did.  This was one of Indy's big problems all those years.  Everyone thinks/thought Edgerrin James was a great running back and he was for a few years, except at playoff time. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Seriously?

I didn't post any TE numbers, but anyway... I have no idea what numbers you could possibly be looking at? They did pick up the slack. A significantly higher percentage of everything went to WRs. I'd call that picking up the slack. They passed more to the RBs, which also helped pick up some of the slack.

The point is the WR corps was more productive. If the numbers prove anything, it's that Welker wasn't a crippling loss. If Welker was there, Edelman would not have emerged. I don't think that's arguable. He might have been fortunate to reach Amendola's numbers, which would have still been career highs.

I've said before, going forward this team is much better off with the young WRs having a year under their belt and with JE and DA, presmably in the fold, than had they kept Welker and Lloyd. The young players bring athleticism that the older guys don't. 

[/QUOTE]

Obviously they were more productive when the top two options weren't there and the only tight ends they had were blockers who bring nothing in the pass game.

In other news, grass is green.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How can you say that?

What we have experienced is the Pats DO NOT bring in skilled WRs for Brady to throw to like we see compliment many of the top flight QBs in the league.  If Brady is that hard to build around, how is it the WRs he does get seem to do so well considering their relative lack of play making capabilities?  Also, I do not recall Brady throwing any of his teammates under the bus.  He works hard with whoever he has to throw to.

[/QUOTE]

Well, he's right.  Brady has been incredibly difficult to make happy here. He demands HOF WRs or TEs, and looks at binkies only, so defenes know that, which compromises his quality of play.

This started happening in 2007 when Moss and Welker arrived and Brady knew those kinds of players would boost his stats.

In a nutshell he turned into the old version of Gomer Manning who would do that all year with Harrison, Clark, Wayne, etc, and then Harrison in particular would disappear in postseasons.

Why? Defenses knew what Gomer's preferences were, on what downs and distances, etc.

Brady has become lazy and has passion for the game has faded since Giselle came into the picture.

Sad, but true.

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't DEMAND anything, you fudging fool.

And even if he did, he sure as hell never got it as BB was too busy drafting defensive players to fix a PATHETIC D for the past 7 years.  Still PATHETIC!

He drafted 2 freaken receivers in 6 years and they BOTH SUCKED!

He picks up Mike Jenkins and Donald Jones in Fa (other than dannyIR, who was extremely underwhelming) and none of those guys are even in the league anymore.  Neither are LLoyd, Ocho and Galloway or any of the pathetic stiffs he expected TB to win games with.

PIZZ POOR GM!  Can't fix a D and certainly can't draft receivers.  Sure can put a ST together, though.  Bwahaha

Thank god for Welker and JE and part time Gronk (after trying to get a TE for 10 years), or he'd have absolutely NOTHING!  No receivers, no defense, NOTHING!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BUT...what happens when the defense stuffs your otherwise very effective running game as the broncos did.  This was one of Indy's big problems all those years.  Everyone thinks/thought Edgerrin James was a great running back and he was for a few years, except at playoff time. 

[/QUOTE]

I think the problem with my pats and your colts was when the other team would take away just a few runs early they could bank on our offenses relying on our HOF QBs, and we played right into their hands. Quite honestly its a big reason why we were able to stop manning and why teams are now able to stop Brady. we would force you I to being one dimensional...as teams do to us but it is too easy, no commitment. 

Starting the game with a passing offense, completing a pass for 4 yards, then trotting out the heavy personnel with blount for an obvious run, getting stuffed,  then bringing back the pass personnel is telling to a defense. We did that the 1st 2 drives.  With our lack of offensive fire power in the passing game, I say we should have used the heavy formations for the majority of the game and kept the broncos guessing. It was a typical performance/game plan by our offense the last 6 playoff losses...very typical. 285 passes to 66 power runs in 6 post season exits.....open book offense= 15.5 ppg.....

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

How can you say that?

[/QUOTE]

Well, he's right.  Brady has been incredibly difficult to make happy here. He demands HOF WRs or TEs, and looks at binkies only, so defenes know that, which compromises his quality of play.

This started happening in 2007 when Moss and Welker arrived and Brady knew those kinds of players would boost his stats.

In a nutshell he turned into the old version of Gomer Manning who would do that all year with Harrison, Clark, Wayne, etc, and then Harrison in particular would disappear in postseasons.

Why? Defenses knew what Gomer's preferences were, on what downs and distances, etc.

Brady has become lazy and has passion for the game has faded since Giselle came into the picture.

Sad, but true.

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't DEMAND anything, you fudging fool.

And even if he did, he sure as hell never got it as BB was too busy drafting defensive players to fix a PATHETIC D for the past 7 years.  Still PATHETIC!

He drafted 2 freaken receivers in 6 years and they BOTH SUCKED!

He picks up Mike Jenkins and Donald Jones in Fa (other than dannyIR, who was extremely underwhelming) and none of those guys are even in the league anymore.  Neither are LLoyd, Ocho and Galloway or any of the pathetic stiffs he expected TB to win games with.

PIZZ POOR GM!  Can't fix a D and certainly can't draft receivers.  Sure can put a ST together, though.  Bwahaha

Thank god for Welker and JE and part time Gronk (after trying to get a TE for 10 years), or he'd have absolutely NOTHING!  No receivers, no defense, NOTHING!

[/QUOTE]

MORON,

BB changed the offense in 2010 going from a traditional spread WR base, to a TWO TE Set base.

You're too stupid to get this.  

2009 was a transition year, so no one cares if Galloway didn't work out.  BB dealt Seymour and Vrabel and was cleaning the books for huge deals due for Brady, Wilfork, Mankins and even Mayo's second deal which was due by 2011.

End of story.

Brady sucks and has sucked in AFC title games whether with loaded weaponry or not.

Mike Jenkins and Donald Jones were cheap, veteran camp comp. fallback options.  HE does this every year at certain parts of the roster.

But, Thompkins and Dobson, impressed so much, BYE BYE the older Jenkins and bye bye, the retired (due to a lingering internal issue), Donald Jones.

So, no matter how ya slice it, BB won. Edelman took over for Welkie and the two rooks at WR impressed, Amendola was solid and they waited on Gronk, with a GREAT rushing attack with talented RBs in here, about 3 or 4 deep. Most teams are lucky to have 2.

2007 was an aberration. I know you JUST STARTED watching this team then, but the rest of us know the game and have been fans for over 30 years.

Go back to your video games and watch your highlight reels of aerial bombs down the field, Gladys.

The rest of us will have big boy football discussions. lol

[/QUOTE]

You're right 2007 was an aberration.  He actually had receivers.  look what happened, 18-1 until the D gave the game away.  Thanks D!  Hobbs on Burress...pfs  Thanks BB!

He's been trying to get those TE's for years, dope.  No secret.  Bavarro ring a bell?

He finally did.  Congrats!  WOOHOO.  Where the F are they and their 90M contracts now?

Oh yeah, eating up valuable cap space.

Where were they the year before that when they played a total of 1 game together.

Who took up the slack?  Smurfs!   Seems the big changes to the 2 TE set, worked exactly one year.   FAIL!

2 years with real receivers, 2 partial years with 2 TEs and 10 years of smurfs, with this being the worst of them all.  4 rookie receivers.  My god, who does that?  Not even the dumbest coach.

Thanks BB

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You call 2 or 3 carries to Blount after he's subbed in for the second drive, Denver "stuffing the run game"?

bahwhha!

awaahaha!

2 carries to a lead back on your first 2 series is not establishing a run game and Denver wasn't stuffing anything. Coming out passing first and showing finesse tipped them off, so when you see Blount back out there for the second drive, everyone knows he's not a pass receiver, so he's not in there for pass plays.  Here comes the obligatory run!  lol

Get it?

That's why it's important to use designed check downs to your lead back early by design. Run the ball and call plays to get your balance. They abanoned it completely by the 3rd drive after 2 carries by Blount. lol

The throw to Mulligan, was the best pass play of the entire first half by Brady and the offense, and that's just SAD. Heck, even Ridley had just 1 carry replacing Blount on the next 6 plays.

5 passes, 1 run?

No matter how ya slice it, it was imbalanced out of the gate, Underpants.

[/QUOTE]

Hey queenie! Working from home today? Looks like you've been posting all day. AGAIN.