Brady back under center. Thanks Josh.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Brady back under center. Thanks Josh.

In establishing solid offensive balance in their season-opening win over the Titans, the Patriots went away from the shotgun, which has been a staple of their attack in recent years.

Of 67 offensive snaps (including penalties), quarterback Tom Brady was in the 'gun just 13 times. With Brady playing more under center and the Patriots finding some early success on the ground, the Titans were forced to respect that aspect of the game. It also set the Patriots up for effective play-action opportunities.

Every play out of the shotgun was a pass and here was the breakdown in production:

First half
    3-for-4 for 19 yards, sack

Second half
    4-for-8 for 39 yards

If the Patriots attempt to achieve the same type of balance in weeks to come, it makes sense to think Brady will continue to see more time under center. The Patriots have been close to the league leaders in shotgun plays in recent years and this is an area that will be interesting to monitor in the weeks to come.

Response.. I notice the only sack came in the gun. Don't worry guys, I know some of you don't understand what this new found balance means, but you will when we host Lombardi #4.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Brady back under center. Thanks Josh.

i think we ran a tad more than pass plays too. Shootz, when was the last time THAT happened?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If Brady had thrown the ball away after scrambling outside of the hash marks, than the Titan's would not have recorded one sack. 

More telling was that the Titan's team was physically beaten down and exhausted at the end of the game, though the score wasn't a blowout, the outcome itself was never in doubt because the pounding O Line and physical play of the defense beat the snot out of them. That is the difference between finesse and smashmouth... whether they understand it or not is irrelevant.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I liked it a lot. Reminds me of the championship years. I think that this will protect Brady more and keep defenses off guard as to what play they are going to run. For the first time in a long time it was difficult for me to tell what they were going to do. Last year's offense while still very good was also very predictable. Josh is going to make a big difference, a lot of the same players but a completely different look.  This is our year

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I cringe every time that I see Brady with no back and in the shotgun while the defense is at the line with ears pinned back..  Just my opinion though.  Brady is a great quarterback but when he only has a second to throw it and there are defenders all over the middle of the field its tough and really puts him in harms way when its done too much.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

No, how about we talk about how good the coordinator that we have now is.  Josh Mcdaniels is a great offensive coordinator and we enjoyed watching the Patriots offense on Sunday. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

That was an obvious difference in the game plan Sunday over what we've see for the past few years. O'Brien and many other offensive coordinators have been experimenting with more shotgun and trying to diversify by running out of the shotgun more. Despite what some think this was moderately effective last year for the Pats. That said, I agree with both woz and champ that with Brady under center, teams have to respect the run more. I think running effectively out of the shotgun is more difficult than passing effectively from under center.  The problem I have with runs from the shotgun is the back usually has to accelerate after then handoff rather than before it, which gives the defense more time to read the play and react before the back is up to speed. Because of this shotgun runs really are most effective as surprise plays when everyone is expecting a pass. while it's easier for the QB to read the field from the shotgun (and often gives him a bit more time to throw) i don't believe the advantage for the QB is as big as the disadvantage for the runner. 

That said, if josh McDaniels is as clever as I think he is, we may very well see some shotgun heavy games down the road if it allows the pats to exploit a weakness in an opponent's defense. There's more than one way to skin a cat and the Pats strength under BB has always been their ability to completely change their scheme to attack opponents' weaknesses. Last year their offense was pretty homogeneous all year. That was part philosophy and part talent mix. This year with a different philosophy and some better talent I think we'll see more variability from week to week.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Mighty2013's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's continue to bash the offensive coordinator who helped this team win nearly every game while he was here in the true spirit of Boston fanship!

[/QUOTE]

There is a lack of appreciation for a guy who, whatever his faults, put together an offense that was top three in nearly every (good) offensive category measured, including points, yards, first downs, average length of drives, scrimmage plays, etc. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BubbaInHawaii's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i think we ran a tad more than pass plays too. Shootz, when was the last time THAT happened?

[/QUOTE]

Without looking, 2010 regular season. Not sure if I am right or not, but that's my guess.

[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, the pats ran more than passed in the first jets game last year and in the KC game. Could be others as well but those are two from last year where I'm almost certain runs exceeded passes by a bit. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That was an obvious difference in the game plan Sunday over what we've see for the past few years. O'Brien and many other offensive coordinators have been experimenting with more shotgun and trying to diversify by running out of the shotgun more. Despite what some think this was moderately effective last year for the Pats. That said, I agree with both woz and champ that with Brady under center, teams have to respect the run more. I think running effectively out of the shotgun is more difficult than passing effectively from under center.  The problem I have with runs from the shotgun is the back usually has to accelerate after then handoff rather than before it, which gives the defense more time to read the play and react before the back is up to speed. Because of this shotgun runs really are most effective as surprise plays when everyone is expecting a pass. while it's easier for the QB to read the field from the shotgun (and often gives him a bit more time to throw) i don't believe the advantage for the QB is as big as the disadvantage for the runner. 

Pro, Good point about running being more difficult out of the gun. Probably has something to do with be the reason BJGE was less effective out of that style offense. He doesn't have the speed to beat defenders to spots, but contrary to opinion here he has shown he's plenty tough enough running out of power sets with Qb under center. Bengals used this offensive set more against the Ravens and Benny had one of his better games as a pro. Ridley looks like he will be able to do both well!

That said, if josh McDaniels is as clever as I think he is, we may very well see some shotgun heavy games down the road if it allows the pats to exploit a weakness in an opponent's defense. There's more than one way to skin a cat and the Pats strength under BB has always been their ability to completely change their scheme to attack opponents' weaknesses. Last year their offense was pretty homogeneous all year. That was part philosophy and part talent mix. This year with a different philosophy and some better talent I think we'll see more variability from week to week.

Agreed, we will mix it up as McD used to and Weiss did before him. Remember one of the 1st times we spanked the Steelers and we went 4 and 5 wide almost the entire game? I could see us using this strategy against the 49ers in week 15. Brady with 4 or 5 wide and make the Niners play in space...they have one of the better defense's I have seen in a while.

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

The Jets have the worst run defense in the NFL. I know its only week one so the stats don't really mean that much but my point is that they are going to get run all over when we play them.  Can't wait till we play them, even though they won Sunday they have already been exposed. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I cringe every time that I see Brady with no back and in the shotgun while the defense is at the line with ears pinned back..  Just my opinion though.  Brady is a great quarterback but when he only has a second to throw it and there are defenders all over the middle of the field its tough and really puts him in harms way when its done too much.

[/QUOTE]

It's the worst. I brace for an incompletion, him being flushed, stepping up and being wild or a possible INT.

As you would with any QB in NFL history with a second to throw and defenders all over.

[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Brady is at his best under center IMO. The better teams have figured out how to defend when he's in the shotgun every down. I don't know for sure but I'd guess that he is sacked less than when he's in the shotgun.  I'd have to check that one tough. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Nice to see this is all settled and McD will be running the ball an adequate amount. Now maybe the board can get some peace and not be inundated with complaints about the f'n running game.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Week 5 game where BJGE ran for 122 on the feeble Jets D?  That was week after he and Ridley ran amuck on the Raiders D. It was really after that game where BJGE had the turf toe issue and Ridley was never leaned on much again last year.

THe offense got far worse after that (Dallas, Pitt, NYGs, etc, all come to mind as did the games in December when the offense couldn't score in the first halves).

In other words, don't forget the commit to the run and don't sub for the RB.  Notice how when a lead back is used, the offense flourishes.

[/QUOTE]

yes i am sure the dallas pittsburgh and especially giants D had nothing to do with this

[/QUOTE]

What Rusty understands about this game can fit on the head of a pin and you would still have room for a batallion of marines.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Kentucky Babe...here are some words by the Miami Herald's Greg Cote which should warm your heart. Kote says that when it comes to QBs, Tom Brady the very best: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/13/3001477/brady-sits-on-throne-of-qb-kingdom.html#moreb