Brady needs to be under center more often!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Brady needs to be under center more often!

Yes, Brady's stats are out of this world so far, but his stats won't guarantee a superbowl.

He's in shotgun way too much and that shotgun play action hand-off is getting a little too predictable.

I'd like to see him under center more often and handing the ball off to BJGE and Ridley.  This will eventually open up some big play action pass opportunities as we get deeper into the game.

It's time that we become more balanced and show we can be a physical run offense to go along with what we have in the passing game.  Once we can achieve that, this offense will be unstoppable!   

Brady might not have the crazy stats at the end of the day, but I guarantee we'll be a better "TEAM" for it! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Brady needs to be under center more often!

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!

We have a winner!  Someone who made a simple post on an obvious observation.  Phill Simms sais it all the time. 

Until this changes...you will see us win some games, but more often than not, when rubber meets wood, good teams will make you pay for that arrogance of trying to pass for 4 quarters and if thats your MO, fine, just dont make it obvious.

Football is based on running and passing.  The more you do to make it obvious, the easier for the defense to defend and get all cute with coverages and what not.

When you go shotgun, its either pass or draw up the middle. Under center the defense has to respect much more...but these simple nuances have been lost under Bill in this new era of passing,. and they have failed to see even Manning and Brees had good running games when they won...it wasnt all Pass and it wasnt all shotgun...

This is why I am upset today..Not because of the loss, but because I know eventually we will go home early and it will be because of the same reasons as previous years...Not lack of Talent, or lack of playmakers, but lack of COMMON SENSE!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

I just can't image  BB not understanding this as well!  If we don't make a change for the Raider's game, all I can chalk it up to is BB outsmarting himself. 

I would love to see our offense become more physical and have more of an attitude! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

We are basically gonna be in the same situation come playoff time. If our horrid defense cant get turnovers, we live and die on bradys arm.  We will be playing either the Jets, Ravens,. Steelers, etc, come playoff time and now Houston who also gets after it.  They will stymie our passing game when it counts in December/January and we'll be left scratching our heads about why we are home early after setting all kinds of records in reg. season but  we only average 19 ppg in the playoffs the last 5 years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I mean I'm sure they're aware of this logic but they MUST have a reason why they're calling what they're calling.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I completely agree but the reason right now you won't see it is because:

#1 - BJGE can't get going. He simply isn't providing consistent yrds up the middle
    #2 - The no huddle that seems to be the only thing that can get us to score is run by Brady. When asked to go no huddle, every QB is going to want to throw it
    #3 - Ridley is a rookie and isn't completely trusted yet
    #4 - The OLine isn't getting any push or opening gaps right now when they do try to run it

All need to be fixed before the running game opens up. Unfortunately the Pats did themselves a great disservice when they went spread and became essentially a fantasy team from 07-10. It seems as if the running game is an after thought only to be used when the opponents are running nickel/dime or when you are up by 3 touches

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

If the Pats were more commited to the run, and were, perforce, punting six and seven times a game  . . .   you'd be complaining about that.

Brady turned the ball over four times yesterday and the Pats still scored 31.

Sure, there were some bad passes and odd bounces . . .  but did the Bills actually stop the Pats?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

In Response to Brady needs to be under center more often!:
    [QUOTE]Yes, Brady's stats are out of this world so far, but his stats won't guarantee a superbowl. He's in shotgun way too much and that shotgun play action hand-off is getting a little too predictable. I'd like to see him under center more often and handing the ball off to BJGE and Ridley.  This will eventually open up some big play action pass opportunities as we get deeper into the game. It's time that we become more balanced and show we can be a physical run offense to go along with what we have in the passing game.  Once we can achieve that, this offense will be unstoppable!    Brady might not have the crazy stats at the end of the day, but I guarantee we'll be a better "TEAM" for it! 
    Posted by deluxbury[/QUOTE]

No offense intended pal, but safe to say that BB knows which plays to call at what times. We can armchair coach from our keyboard, but if 12 is in shotgun most of the snaps, there might be a reason to it, which most of us are not privy to. I doubt that being under center will solve the problem. Don't forget that 12 has thrown for almost 1350 yards and 11 TDs in just 3 games. Granted that he has thrown 5 picks, but I doubt that being in shotgun had anything to do with it

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

In Response to Re: Brady needs to be under center more often!:
    [QUOTE]I completely agree but the reason right now you won't see it is because: #1 - BJGE can't get going. He simply isn't providing consistent yrds up the middle #2 - The no huddle that seems to be the only thing that can get us to score is run by Brady. When asked to go no huddle, every QB is going to want to throw it #3 - Ridley is a rookie and isn't completely trusted yet #4 - The OLine isn't getting any push or opening gaps right now when they do try to run it All need to be fixed before the running game opens up. Unfortunately the Pats did themselves a great disservice when they went spread and became essentially a fantasy team from 07-10. It seems as if the running game is an after thought only to be used when the opponents are running nickel/dime or when you are up by 3 touches
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

PatsEng:  I respectfully disagree with what you are saying because THEY HAVEN'T TRIED YET - or at least they haven't given it enough of a chance!

I love the no huddle and up-tempo approach but in my humble opinion, they shouldn't use that as their core offensive philosophy!  It should be a complementery part of their offense.

There is no excuse for being up by 21 points and not lining up and playing some smash mouth and taking the will out of the Bills defense!   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Brady needs to be under center more often! : No offense intended pal, but safe to say that BB knows which plays to call at what times. We can armchair coach from our keyboard, but if 12 is in shotgun most of the snaps, there might be a reason to it, which most of us are not privy to. I doubt that being under center will solve the problem. Don't forget that 12 has thrown for almost 1350 yards and 11 TDs in just 3 games. Granted that he has thrown 5 picks, but I doubt that being in shotgun had anything to do with it
    Posted by bmadmax82[/QUOTE]

"Pal", You have no idea what you're talking about.  You clearly don't understand football and what the term "balance" means.

Thanks "Pal".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]If the Pats were more commited to the run, and were, perforce, punting six and seven times a game  . . .   you'd be complaining about that. Brady turned the ball over four times yesterday and the Pats still scored 31. Sure, there were some bad passes and odd bounces . . .  but did the Bills actually stop the Pats?
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Here's the deal.  If the Pats did win yesterday, I'd be happy they won, but I would still be concerned that they didn't have balance. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Brady needs to be under center more often! : No offense intended pal, but safe to say that BB knows which plays to call at what times. We can armchair coach from our keyboard, but if 12 is in shotgun most of the snaps, there might be a reason to it, which most of us are not privy to. I doubt that being under center will solve the problem. Don't forget that 12 has thrown for almost 1350 yards and 11 TDs in just 3 games. Granted that he has thrown 5 picks, but I doubt that being in shotgun had anything to do with it
    Posted by bmadmax82[/QUOTE]

sounds like blind faith to me...lol

Are we supposed to ignore everything we know about football for the sake of agreeing with a great coach.  Even Bill will tell you he makes mistakes, but I guess you know more than me.  Seems we made a living and won some SB's by doing to teams exactly what is being done to us now....

Colts anyone!  Shoot out and pray that Brady has the ball last...??? ummm, no thanks!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

What's interesting is if you look at the % of run to pass, it looks fairly balanced on paper. I think pass outdoes the run generally speaking by 4-6% points on average per game. To me, that looks balanced.
    However, it's not so much about total percentage when looking at a game, but when we do it, and who we use. Looking at our Offense, I can clearly tell when we will run and when we will pass. It's not rocket science. a few times we'll catch someone off guard with playaction, but generally speaking the Pats say, "We are lining up to pass and you have to stop us".

I think when you have a 20+ point lead, I think we need to start protecting that lead. Ridley was hot yesterday...why not ride him? He's young, hungry and will get yards.

My fear once again is we are becoming too predictable and too 1 dimensional. We may fool a few, and beat a few now, but when we get long into the season, this predictability catches up with us as it did last year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]What's interesting is if you look at the % of run to pass, it looks fairly balanced on paper. I think pass outdoes the run generally speaking by 4-6% points on average per game. To me, that looks balanced. However, it's not so much about total percentage when looking at a game, but when we do it, and who we use. Looking at our Offense, I can clearly tell when we will run and when we will pass. It's not rocket science. a few times we'll catch someone off guard with playaction, but generally speaking the Pats say, "We are lining up to pass and you have to stop us". I think when you have a 20+ point lead, I think we need to start protecting that lead. Ridley was hot yesterday...why not ride him? He's young, hungry and will get yards. My fear once again is we are becoming too predictable and too 1 dimensional. We may fool a few, and beat a few now, but when we get long into the season, this predictability catches up with us as it did last year.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Agree 100% however, while I admit I haven't looked at the exact run/pass ration through the first three games, I would make a strong bet that it heavily favors  the pass. 

We are become a replica of the Colts. 

I'd rather be a replica of the 2001, 2003, 2004 Patriots! 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady needs to be under center more often! : Agree 100% however, while I admit I haven't looked at the exact run/pass ration through the first three games, I would make a strong bet that it heavily favors  the pass.  We are become a replica of the Colts.  I'd rather be a replica of the 2001, 2003, 2004 Patriots! 
    Posted by deluxbury[/QUOTE]

I think it's time to let 2001/2003/2004 go. Those defenses were allowed more physical play and had fewer rules in place to enhance offenses. Remember the high-powered Colts offenses? Shut down by the Pats.

NOBODY is playing that type of football anymore. I just don't see it. I agree with some of your points throughout this thread but come on, those days are over.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady needs to be under center more often! : I think it's time to let 2001/2003/2004 go. Those defenses were allowed more physical play and had fewer rules in place to enhance offenses. Remember the high-powered Colts offenses? Shut down by the Pats. NOBODY is playing that type of football anymore. I just don't see it. I agree with some of your points throughout this thread but come on, those days are over.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/Q

I disagree.   I don't care how the rules have changed..  If anything, the cornerbacks and safetys have become softer more finess type players.  What are they going to do when you get a big RB running downhill right at them.

Football is constantly changing..  Sometimes just lining up and playing sound complementery football just makes sense.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady needs to be under center more often! : They are never going to have balance.  The days of teams averaging almost 200 yards a game on the ground are gone.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

Unless you are the Bills...lol

I hate to say it, but the Bills have the best running game and came in averaging 191 a game (pretty close to 200) and guess what , they are 3-0

Maybe we could learn a thing or 2.

N.Y,. has now forgotten the formula too. I would like to explore what the real posibillity is that the Bills win the division. I mean right now they have the best ground game,. a competent pass game and good special teams and flying high, # 1 in division...Running is still important in football..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Brady needs to be under center more often! : Where were you the first two weeks of the season?

Give me a break!  The first two games is hardly  a body of work to evaulate.  What I'm seeing now is a pass happy team with little balance and total run predictability! 

All I'm saying is when you're in shotgun almost all the time, your'e either throwing it or doing that shotgun draw. 

When Brady is under center, there is more for the defense to worry think about.

Plus running the ball will set up more effective play action.

I don't claim to have all the answers, but this is football 101 people! 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

This is from Bruschi. Q/A session with fans:

Q. I've been a season ticket holder since '77 so I've seen the very bad and, of course, the very good. Comparing the 2001-05 Patriots to the present, what's the difference on the defense? Is it simply talent, or do you think Bill doesn't have the same kind of trust? It seems like the defenses you were on were trusted to blitz and run around and make plays, not so much now. Thoughts? -- Tim (Newton, Mass.)

A. A big difference I see is offensive football. Every week now, you're going up against an Indianapolis type offense. That's different from '01-'05. The offensive football in the NFL has morphed into fast-break football. Back then, there will still plenty of teams that were of the mindset of being physical and establishing a running game. I think Bill Belichick has done a good job adjusting to where offensive football is in the NFL. Having said that, you're going back to old school this week with the Raiders, as they pound the rock.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady needs to be under center more often! : You call Darren Sproles a "big running back"? Those days are gone.  Just like no one (but you?) uses a sliderule anymore or learns how to graph on paper.

Ok, whatever that meant! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]This is from Bruschi. Q/A session with fans: Q. I've been a season ticket holder since '77 so I've seen the very bad and, of course, the very good. Comparing the 2001-05 Patriots to the present, what's the difference on the defense? Is it simply talent, or do you think Bill doesn't have the same kind of trust? It seems like the defenses you were on were trusted to blitz and run around and make plays, not so much now. Thoughts? -- Tim (Newton, Mass.) A. A big difference I see is offensive football. Every week now, you're going up against an Indianapolis type offense. That's different from '01-'05. The offensive football in the NFL has morphed into fast-break football. Back then, there will still plenty of teams that were of the mindset of being physical and establishing a running game. I think Bill Belichick has done a good job adjusting to where offensive football is in the NFL. Having said that, you're going back to old school this week with the Raiders, as they pound the rock.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

Ok, that's fine - I love Bruschi and respect his opinion, but does that mean he's right? 

So I guess what you're supporting is that we just go into every game and have a shoot out with everyone we play? 

I'm not suggesting we don't pass anymore or go no huddle, etc... All I'm suggesting is that we bring a little more physicallity into the game plan and make the defense think twice about whether we are gonna run or pass!