Brandon Spikes: I Love 'Em Already

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes: I Love 'Em Already

I think the scrimages and joint proctices made this game have a regular season game feel. It by no means looked like a preseason game to me for 3 quarters.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes: I Love 'Em Already:
    [QUOTE]See it always gets me- I mean I know or at least, can understand the type of person who posts a long post about sports on a Sport's Board, but idk- I'm just not fully sure that I fully get the mentality of the person, that comes on a thread solely in order to add, "Boy, THAT is a LONG sport's subject on this sport's site...ha-ha You pal, Don't have a LIFE!"  I mean, Does he want, or possibly NEED me, to respond back in anger: "You, See here buddy...".  Do I get sad, for some reason that I'm currently missing?  Do I just move on...idk?  What exactly, is needed from ME here, do'ya need some sage advice?  A Wittgenstein quote?  Do you want some pocket change, I'm unsure?  If ya respond that you want a shorter thread, sheez- WhyTH even respond to begin with?  You got dizzy, so maybe you need me to give you something for Vertigo, and then well- I'd have to come over there because of the motion sickness thing of modern travel...perhaps clean your ears, and test your home for pollen or dust- Is this...is this what I should be taking away in the end, or was it the whole "negative reaction thing," which- Was it hopefully O.k.?       
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Pollen, maybe. Dust? Could be mold. Mold is a great concern here in the South.
    Spikes looks like the real deal. Not many rookies will show his level of maturity right out of the gate. McCourty, after two game in the system looks very promising. I believe he will develop into a top talent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Preseason for sure, but against 2 very good powerful teams returning a large number of starters, who practiced with us a few times before playing us.  Spikes is easy to see as a great player, based on where I keep finding him - meeting guys at the line of scrimmage, not 5 yards back- and if his coverage is suspect, (not saying it is) then that can be adjusted for.  Teams are paying attention to last years playoff game, we need to stone guys right at the line of scrimmage, and here is the ticket for doing that.  Not that I predicted, cared, paid attention to his drafting, I watched, saw what they said and waited.  I'm for sure a "In Bill we trust" guy, all the way.  I dont even think there is a valid excuse by anyone NOT to be that way, He has kept the team in the forefront of the NFL for years now, and done it in a way I am proud of.  No, I don't think "Spygate" was a big deal, it was a minor infraction, I don't mind that he did it, don't care.  It is also not a big deal with me that Polian got dirty pics of the rules committee members and got them to swing PI calls their way, that is just trying to get an edge.  Its the ebb and flow of the whole political/playcalling/coaching/front office strategy, and I'm glad we are right in there fighting for it.  If you don't agree, fine with me.  I love this team, the ownership, the coach, and what they stand for.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Spikes is easy to see as a great player, based on where I keep finding him - meeting guys at the line of scrimmage, not 5 yards back- and if his coverage is suspect, (not saying it is) then that can be adjusted for.  Teams are paying attention to last years playoff game, we need to stone guys right at the line of scrimmage, and here is the ticket for doing that."

~troy you make now a very good point which e~ also touches upon, Unconsidered by me until now.  It's not simply the fact that I consider Spikes a 3 Down LB, who IS decent at pass-coverage...It's ALSO what you gain by having him in there verses Having someone who, at best, just MIGHT be as of now, only nominally quicker in pass-coverage... 
         Considering HOW we got beat in The Playoff Game vs The Ravens (just decimated vs The Run), The NY Jets last-season's #1 Rush Offense, Overall giving up a few of the short-yardage passes in a Zone-Defense over the short-middle with our ILBs thus far, As e~ states, CAN and WILL be tightened up with Spikes's greater understanding of a usually VERY complicated Belichickean Defense in subsequent time (c'mon 2 Preseason Games?!), AND taken with NE's better all-around skilled CBs (McCourty/Bodden), playing good man-press AND able to play off-man on larger yardage downs, Idk-
         It just appears to me As a FINAL SAY: AFTER you include NE's ONLY Very Big (imho) Defensive Question Mark- The Depth & Overall Size & Skill right at The Defensive Line, IN the End- I trully believe having the bulk, Intimidation, and ability to sniff-out plays, Just far & away trumps ANY (rather minor, as I've stated), 1 fraction of a second (Right Now)-quicker Strongside ILB on passing downs...  

of note:  yea...Prophecy and being correct AFTER the fact IS a funny thing when it's a "post-prediction" that turns out to be correct Macrawn...see, IF only I had offered up a Link In My Post #1 here, From perhaps-Early March to McCourty being a potentially great & actually THE Best CB Pre-Draft, and/or a verifable quote in a thread 1 day after NE's 2010 Draft, In regards To Brandon Spikes being a PERFECT SILB and very decent in pass-coverage...  If only...if only... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Ya See ALL, This Thread is less of an "I Told ya So," then it is an, "O.k., Admit you were wrong." 

First, of all as a past Memphis boy; Plural is All Ya'll....As in All Ya'll see all! Proper english is important

Second, I love this kid. He is what we thought he was! And he will grow into more..I am amazed at ya'll (singular) not seeing that he is a rookie who is playing in a complicated d and learning as he goes......BUT HE HAS IS BEYOND RIGHT ON!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Had last nights game on DVR.  watching again, JUST watching Spikes, I can say for sure, hes going to be good.  Not trying to convince anyone else, but I am positive.  He goes into "buzz" coverage, just about makes it to his area, play goes elsewhere, he reacts and gets to the play and gets in on the tackle, 3 yards past the line.  Thats snap, run to cover area, react to play, run back to the area you just vacated, and still gets in on the tackle.  Other plays he is filling and sticking his nose in everything.  He seems to be playing in the middle, with one backer shaded strong side, and mayo playing to Spikes left.  He is fricking large, also.  You can spot him easily, even next to Mayo, he is large.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

Sometimes its not hindsight , LOL some of us actually know a little about football. I was screaming about this kid for the past year and half. And Im sorry but Im not as worried about him in coverage as everyone is saying. And I bet 80% of those people have never even seen him in coverage , go figure. This kid is a football player and will help us at a position that we really need help at. While everyone on this board was screaming about the OLB position , I was as passionate about the ILB spot. Yes we need help at OLB , but teams passed on every projected OLB in the first rd for a reason. There was nobody worth a first rd pick. If you know even a lil' about football , then would agree that the ILB spot was a weak one last year and teams ate us up ... see Ray Rice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

he's a keeper

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]For every player drafted there is a guy who comes out and says remember what I told you guys about him? Why couldn't you all see what a pro bowl player this guy was destined to be? And for every bust there is a guy who was ready to post a remember what I said about him you should have listened to me post.
    Posted by Macrawn[/QUOTE]
    You read these boards long enough and you get to know the posters who really know their stuff. There are many whose information I trust more than some of the media. lol They aren't always right but who is?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Please ENOUGH with the "two down" linebacker garbage, his interception statistics as a Gator were, dare I say it, Bruschiesque... nearly every pass he snagged out of the air was returned for a TD.  He is more than a run stopper.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Two words for you.  TED JOHNSON.  If Spikes sux in coverage, o.k.  Keep him in centerfield, playing downhill, and let the other guys go into coverage.  He's beastly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]" suspect in coverage " I can't hope to negate such a convincing argument.
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Making a statement...  and the last thing I am trying to do is convince you, or start an argument. 

Go talk to Russgriswold if you want an argument.  I have a job and life outside of fighting pointless battles, and of course I am waiting for you to belittle me afetr this comment, so please go ahead.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleLazJunior. Show LittleLazJunior's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes: I Love 'Em Already : I like your passion and self-confidence...Not sure I am all that fond of your grammer though (I mean that will all due respect)... From where I sit Spikes is doing what he's supposed to do...play football and earn a spot in the starting unit...after two games he's on his way...I'll check back in week 4 when teams have a chance to breakhim down...If he continues to excell then...I'd have to think he's on his way to a very good career... Speed kills...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
    A healthy dose of "CONJUNCTION JUNCTION< WHATS YOUR FUNCTION " just might help!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Combine 40 times are a joke. Yes, let's take players used to playing in pads, running through the traffic of 21 other players and put them in tights and track shoes, run on a sprinting surface with noone else around.

That's like asking a baseball prospect to hit off a tee with a metal bat in a little league field and then assuming he'll be a 50 HR guy.

Few, if any, college linebackers come into the pros as good pass defenders.

Spikes is exactly the kind of player the Pats were bringing in before they fell into the workout warriors (like everyone does at some point).

Rodney Harrison had lost a step and was old. But he was a football player and proved he was still among the elite as his position when he got here.

Vrabel was buried on the depth chart in PITT, but one thing that was known, he was a football player and turned into an animal at OLB.

Troy Brown is small, not very fast, but he was a football player and played crucial CB and WR.

Tom Brady was slow, weak, physically completely unimpressive. But he was a football player, and the rest is history.

Brandon Spikes is slow and undersized for his position. But, he's a football player, and we'll see. There's plenty there for me to really like his chances...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes: I Love 'Em Already : I like your passion and self-confidence...Not sure I am all that fond of your grammer though (I mean that will all due respect)... From where I sit Spikes is doing what he's supposed to do...play football and earn a spot in the starting unit...after two games he's on his way...I'll check back in week 4 when teams have a chance to breakhim down...If he continues to excell then...I'd have to think he's on his way to a very good career... Speed kills...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Certainly it does. Look how quickly it killed the careers of Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson.

Speed in football is WAY overrated.

Doesn't help a RB who can't see the hole.

Doesn't help the WR who can't run routes.

Doesn't help the QB who can't throw.

Doesn't help the CB who makes bad reads.

Doesn't help the DE who's slow off the snap.

Doesn't help the LB who can't shed blocks.

Doesn't help the kicker or OL. Ever. (Think a 5.0 or a 5.5 makes a difference pulling around the end? Please)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Brandon Spikes: I Love 'Em Already : God, I got dizzy from reading all this crap, man you need to get a REAL life!!!
    Posted by southnpatsfan[/QUOTE]

Harsh. Just read what you want and ignore the rest. But that is weak. When I am just scanning for info, I can grab Laz's opinion quickly, because he usually gets to it quick and then digresses into funnily tenuous analogies, etcetera. When I want a chuckle, or to scratch my head, I'll read on.

The kid is like jalapeno jelly beans: there for those who want em, and those who don't can just eat another kind.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes: I Love 'Em Already : Certainly it does. Look how quickly it killed the careers of Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson. Speed in football is WAY overrated. Doesn't help a RB who can't see the hole. Doesn't help the WR who can't run routes. Doesn't help the QB who can't throw. Doesn't help the CB who makes bad reads. Doesn't help the DE who's slow off the snap. Doesn't help the LB who can't shed blocks. Doesn't help the kicker or OL. Ever. (Think a 5.0 or a 5.5 makes a difference pulling around the end? Please)
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Doesn't help the Raiders. They are routinely the fastest team on the field. Well, fastest on the bench too. And fastest on the golf course when they miss the playoffs every season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

ZB !!!!!!! Could you see the Pats draft someone like Romeus or Bailey in 2011 to improve the pass rush. I pose this question largely because I know you watch more College ball than I.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]ZB !!!!!!! Could you see the Pats draft someone like Romeus or Bailey in 2011 to improve the pass rush. I pose this question largely because I know you watch more College ball than I.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

I don't know. Romeus is the prototype for the size BB looks for, maybe even a touch to big, but the knock on him is that he is raw. I can't think of too many players that BB has taken  that fit that mold -- athletic freak but raw. I think if his stock stays depressed, in the second round area, then maybe. But doubtful.

Bailey, IMO, is a big five technique. That is just my impression. Every year people say, yeah but so-and-so can gain fifteen pounds. None of them ever do, and BB never drafts them. He is impressive. 

I'll talk draft anytime. I am just stoked that I never took Spikes off of my board, for two whole years (barring when he announced he was staying in school in 2009) and he ended up in NE. We had the same conversation after last year's draft and I was like Spikes! I had him in the first though, but good they got a steal. 

I think this season, I would look for NE to draft for what they need, which will likely be RB, WR, OLB, and OG/T. They have two firsts. I think one name that isn't kicked around and bears watching is Von Miller. He played in the Aggies' 34 and has the height. But is a bit light for what BB likes outside. I think a player like Ingram, if available, could be very tempting up top. Marcel Derius too, if he has a strong season, although he is a hair short for a three. 

It's way early to put this thing together, and every instinct in my body tells me it will be a really off draft next season, without much real blue chip talent. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]For every player drafted there is a guy who comes out and says remember what I told you guys about him? Why couldn't you all see what a pro bowl player this guy was destined to be? And for every bust there is a guy who was ready to post a remember what I said about him you should have listened to me post.
    Posted by Macrawn[/QUOTE]

Remember what I told you guys about Tom Brady?  Why couldn't you all see what a hall of famer he was destined to be?