Brandon Spikes posts another controversial tweet per Boston.com

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes posts another controversial tweet per Boston.com

In response to patsfan76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The tweet gets media attention because Spikes tweeted it.  Blown out of proportion?  Not for me to say.  Discrimination?  Dunno.  Hilarious?  Not to me.  Insensitive?  Yeah - pretty much.

The point that how would he know the guy was gay is well taken.  I'm not gay but there's nothing funny about homophobia whether any you care to agree or not.  There have been innocent people beaten to death in this country for the sole reason that they were gay or does that matter?  And if beating someone to death because they were gay wasn't a homophobic act then what was it?  Lighten up?  Sure I'll lighten up when the topic is light.  This isn't. 

[/QUOTE]

I dont agree that if someone gets beats up it was because someone was scared of them. Its called bullying. There is a difference and neither of them applied in this case. Non story

[/QUOTE]

I agree, homophobia is being scared of gay people and an internal fear that you yourself might be gay. That doesn't mean you beat a gay person to death because they are gay. No that's straight hatred and discrimination to it's most vial form. The two aren't linked. Being homophobic doesn't mean that you hate gay people and hating gay people does not mean you are homophobic. Big difference.

It's like saying coulrophobic people beat and kill clowns and people who beat and kill clowns are coulrophobic. Onne does not correlate to the other.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

here we go again.  it's A okay to talk about being gay and having gay protests and gay parades but don't ever say anything about being against gays.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The tweet gets media attention because Spikes tweeted it.  Blown out of proportion?  Not for me to say.  Discrimination?  Dunno.  Hilarious?  Not to me.  Insensitive?  Yeah - pretty much.

The point that how would he know the guy was gay is well taken.  I'm not gay but there's nothing funny about homophobia whether any you care to agree or not.  There have been innocent people beaten to death in this country for the sole reason that they were gay or does that matter?  And if beating someone to death because they were gay wasn't a homophobic act then what was it?  Lighten up?  Sure I'll lighten up when the topic is light.  This isn't. 

[/QUOTE]

I dont agree that if someone gets beats up it was because someone was scared of them. Its called bullying. There is a difference and neither of them applied in this case. Non story

[/QUOTE]

I agree, homophobia is being scared of gay people and an internal fear that you yourself might be gay. That doesn't mean you beat a gay person to death because they are gay. No that's straight hatred and discrimination to it's most vial form. The two aren't linked. Being homophobic doesn't mean that you hate gay people and hating gay people does not mean you are homophobic. Big difference.

It's like saying coulrophobic people beat and kill clowns and people who beat and kill clowns are coulrophobic. Onne does not correlate to the other.

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps time for some of you to understand the meaning of the term homophobia:

Homophobia is a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). Definitions refer variably to antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, irrational fear, and hatred.[1][2][3][4] In a 1998 address, author, activist, and civil rights leader Coretta Scott King stated that "Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood."[5]

I suggest that before you simply dismiss a differing point of view you understand the basis for someone holding that point and understand the actual meaning of the term that is being discussed.  Homphobia isn't simply fear, it extends beyond that.  Google Matthew Shepard and then tell me that homophobia is simply about being afraid

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

I think YOU missed the point. We are saying it doesnt apply here. There isnt even a real person involved. He made a hypothetical statement. Noone got hurt or beat up and its not a concrete thing. I can be a homophobe and choose not to be around gay people and someone else may take it the next level and beat someone but my point is, Noone is actually scared(like horror movie scared) of a gay person(atleast not that I know of) they are scared of being targeted or they are uncomfortable. A simple defintion cant begin to explain what Spikes was thinking and if people dont like it, then dont follow him. Simple as that. Do you compare the plight of gay rights to that of civil rights too??

[/QUOTE]

My point, which you seem to have missed, is that you dismissed my first point altogether because of your own lack of understanding of the term homophobia.

My first point:  homophobia isn't a joking matter.  Or do you think it is?

My second point:  homophobia isn't about simply being afraid; it's about an entire attitude about a segment of humanity who happen to be different from you and who have been victimized simply because they are different. 

Get your knickers in a twist all you like.  Take me to task and challenge my views all you like. But how about at least acknowledging that a different point of view has some legitimacy instead of simply trivializing it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Well this will take the heat off our CB's being we didn't take Jenkins.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well this will take the heat off our CB's being we didn't take Jenkins.

[/QUOTE]

Good point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to harleyroadking12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

lol people need to chill out...he wrote in the context of a joke....com'on man

[/QUOTE]

i am finding the comments here, and brandon spikes cover (it was a joke) more offensive than him admitting he is homophobic.

[/QUOTE]

Bred so you are offended that someone is a homophobic? So you are discriminating against homophobics huh. I guess you don't think it's right to be straight? How is a guy who is stating his sexual preference and in no way slandering homosexuals and admits he has NOTHING against them offensive? He didn't make a comment towards them in any negative fashion and did not tell people to be afraid of them in any way shape or form other then his personal feelings. If you find this offensive I mean seriously what don't you find offensive? This is clearly a case of people looking into something that isn't there.

BTW Spikes stole this from a british comedian but the joke is to long for tweeter. The whole joke is "I'm not homophobic... well I guess I'm homophobic in the way I'm a arachnophobic. If I saw either a spider or a gay man in my tub I'd scream". That joke in no way puts down gay people in any sense of the word and if you are straight I think would ring true to any straight person. I have plenty of gay friends and a cousin that is gay, I'm not homophobic but I have a couple of rules. If a gay guy hits on me I simply say I'm straight I'm not interested but if the guy continues, grabs me, or shows up in my tub I'm going to freak out. If you find it offensive that a straight person would freak about a gay person jumping in their tub then you really need to assess if you've swung past the realm of discrimination and are now discriminating yourself

[/QUOTE]

eng, your understandign of what i wrote in the sentence is the opposite of what i said. 

i was saying that admitting he is homophobic is not offensive to me. (it is ignorant).

we act out what we are taught. oppression and homophobia are taught. like racism, etc,e etc

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

allegedly the celebrity community is now checking in in response to Spikes tweet.

Those upset:

- Peter Parker

- the University of Richmond

- Vladimir Sabich

Those in aggreement:

- Glenallen Hill

- Stan Lee  "intersting new comic book material"

- Claudine Longet   " but the spider was in my bathtub!"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think YOU missed the point. We are saying it doesnt apply here. There isnt even a real person involved. He made a hypothetical statement. Noone got hurt or beat up and its not a concrete thing. I can be a homophobe and choose not to be around gay people and someone else may take it the next level and beat someone but my point is, Noone is actually scared(like horror movie scared) of a gay person(atleast not that I know of) they are scared of being targeted or they are uncomfortable. A simple defintion cant begin to explain what Spikes was thinking and if people dont like it, then dont follow him. Simple as that. Do you compare the plight of gay rights to that of civil rights too??

[/QUOTE]

My point, which you seem to have missed, is that you dismissed my first point altogether because of your own lack of understanding of the term homophobia.

My first point:  homophobia isn't a joking matter.  Or do you think it is?

My second point:  homophobia isn't about simply being afraid; it's about an entire attitude about a segment of humanity who happen to be different from you and who have been victimized simply because they are different. 

Get your knickers in a twist all you like.  Take me to task and challenge my views all you like. But how about at least acknowledging that a different point of view has some legitimacy instead of simply trivializing it.

[/QUOTE]

ATJ, thanks for the info. I do think, however, that part of the reason people instinctively reject such a definition is that the suffix phobia literally means "morbid fear," and outside of homophobia, every other word that uses the suffix phobia is literally defined as, "The fear of..." whatever the prefix of the word.

Therefore, many think using the suffix "phobia" in the word homophobia is disingenuous; that the word was originally deliberately concocted to imply that those who reject homosexuality are afraid of homosexuality. Only after the pushback of heterosexuals who proclaimed, "I'm not afraid of homosexuality; I just think it's objectionable/wrong/perverse/disgusting," et cetera, did homophobia evolve into a new definition that culled new meaning from outside the traditional realm of phobia.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

I'm not against gays, but am against people being told what they can or cannot say. I agree with the poster that stated it's ok for them to hold Gay parades and speak out but god forbid someone feel differently. I'm not for or against homos/lesbos and am not religious-but c'mon guys we must agree it's pretty disgusting to want to indulge in sex acts with another dude? And we can't say it's natural - because if we all were gay we wouldn't be here! Everyone has the right to do what he/she wants with themselves - just keep this crazy sh_t to yourselves. I also think JintsFan is a fan --- and I'm not talking football, if you catch my drift?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

My problem isn't really with Brandon's opinion. I'm sure his joke would have gotten some laughs in the locker room and with any group of guys he was hanging around with.

My problem is, that he didn't have the sense to refrain from saying it in public. He has Joey Porter disease: diarrhea of the mouth. He doesn't think before he speaks. Which is a problem when you are expected to behave like a professional. Especially when Bill Belichick is your boss.

I'm guessing that he learns how to engage his brain before he speaks, or he will find himself on another team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

here we go again.  it's A okay to talk about being gay and having gay protests and gay parades but don't ever say anything about being against gays. [/QUOTE]

exactly as it should be b/c the only people against gays are either dumba**es and "christian" dumba**es

which are you there nascar? [/QUOTE]

Whats up with this junior? Such a sensitive thread and you find the need to bash Christians?
    Yeah, many anti-Christs here BUT ... NOT ME! Understand? I'll expect your confession shortly, if not .... your penance will be severe.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

All but one of you missed the whole point of this thread!!!  While you are all arguing over freedom of speech, homophobes and gay spiders in bathtubs and things that shouldn't be said on twitter....  the real point of the thread was Brandon Spikes was using my pic as his avatar!!  I even added a huge picture of the avatar he was using in my post!!!  Nowbody even noticed except for GadisRKO.  Thank you kind Sir for noticing!!!  He only used it for a day or two and isn't using it any longer, but hey, at least I got some new followers on some of my sites due to him using it.

Now stop the arguing, apparently there has been no mention of suspension or fine from the league so thats a good thing!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .   once again I'm going to have to preface this response with the disclaimer that I haven't read all four pages of the thread, so if somebody has already pointed this out, mea culpa.

That said, you should all know by now that the only acceptable form of humor in the 21st century pokes fun at white heterosexual males over the age of 50.

Anything else is not only not funny, but it's offensive to somebody or something, somewhere.

Come on now, kids . . .   you know better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well . . .   once again I'm going to have to preface this response with the disclaimer that I haven't read all four pages of the thread, so if somebody has already pointed this out, mea culpa.

That said, you should all know by now that the only acceptable form of humor in the 21st century pokes fun at white heterosexual males over the age of 50.

Anything else is not only not funny, but it's offensive to somebody or something, somewhere.

Come on now, kids . . .   you know better.

[/QUOTE]

The sad thing about your post p-mike is you are spot on!  Now, how sad is that!?!?!?  I'm afraid to say hello to anyone anymore, afraid I will offend someone by just saying hi, or afraid that I will offend someone if I say hello to everyone and then by mistake don't say hi to them.