1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Brandon Spikes - Typical Draft Pick

Belichick Haiku:

Average on the field

Personality issues

Another bad pick

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes - Typical Draft Pick

your obviously reading to much Peter King. The haiku, and the increased trolling give it away.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

And also typical, the homers overrated him badly. Then when these guys get booted, nary a homer can be found that talked him up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I thought Spikes would be a much better player. Watching him at Fla, I thought he was a sure fire 1st round draft choice, and would play near Pro Bowl level. I thought his dropping in the draft was more comment on his off field life style rather than his on field play.

After his time here, I simply believe he was a bad fit for this defense. Aside from this year, the Pats were putting so many points on the board, the opposition had to throw, forcing Spikes off the field. In those instances when the Pats were not is a sub defense, Spikes played very well. But he is really a 2 down LB in this league, and maybe not even that, depending on the opposition. It was clear that BB wanted to play to LB's against the Broncos, and Spikes would not have seen many snaps, if at all. Could the Pats have realized Spikes production with a lower choice, rather than use a 2nd rounder on a one dimensional LB?  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

Again....it was a "value" pick.  Which I understand I guess with Spikes.  He was a boom or bust player.  Could have easily been Ray Lewis, or Ray Caruth. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

your obviously reading to much Peter King. The haiku, and the increased trolling give it away.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think I've ever read anything by Peter King.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Comment of the day: "Brandon Spikes could have easily been Ray Lewis".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Typical draft pick?  Off field stuff?  He may not be a choir boy but I haven't heard or seen much to suggest that he's guilty of anything other than some bad judgement at times.   

Spikes may have been overrated by some, sure.  When he wasn't hurt he certainly helped against the run -- dominant at times but not consistently and it looks like he is forever a 2 down linebacker.  If he could do more than he did in NE, he'd have been a 1st rounder.  Ultimately, if he gets a big FA contract does that mean he was a "hit" as a draft pick or a "miss"?  Is getting a decent 2-down linebacker in the 2nd round and having him for 4 years a "miss"?  If the Pats choose to let him walk because he gets overpaid, is it a "miss"?  

Define the parameters here a bit.  You can't say he was a miss if he gets a big FA contract, which he may.  That the Pats may not value him so highly for his limitations does not make it a bad pick.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Well for the expectations on this board that BB should be hitting on All-Pro players with every pick, yes, the pick wasn't up to snuff.

But if you're living in reality, he was a good player for them on the field and worth the Rd 2 selection.  He was a quality, starting caliber NFL inside backer that was a top level player vs. the run and brought a physical edge/toughness to the position.

But hey, keep living in f/riggin fantasy land.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well for the expectations on this board that BB should be hitting on All-Pro players with every pick, yes, the pick wasn't up to snuff.

But if you're living in reality, he was a good player for them on the field and worth the Rd 2 selection.  He was a quality, starting caliber NFL inside backer that was at the top level player vs. the run and brought a physical edge/toughness to the position.

[/QUOTE]

As always, a very insightful post mb. It seems that this board these days is made up of the same few guys trolling. Telling all who will listen how bad this team is and how much BB sucks, but it's nice to jump on and read thoughts from pats fans, and pats fans who are also fans of football.

I read somehwere that Spikes had the highest rating against the run this year for all inside LBers. Considering that is what he was drafted for I would say he was a pretty damn good contributor, especially considering that we are usually one of the better run defenses in the game, until we lost our co captains on D this year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

But if you're living in reality, he was a good player for them on the field and worth the Rd 2 selection.  He was a quality, starting caliber NFL inside backer that was at the top level player vs. the run and brought a physical edge/toughness to the position.

[/QUOTE]

As always, a very insightful post mb. It seems that this board these days is made up of the same few guys trolling. Telling all who will listen how bad this team is and how much BB sucks, but it's nice to jump on and read thoughts from pats fans, and pats fans who are also fans of football.

I read somehwere that Spikes had the highest rating against the run this year for all inside LBers. Considering that is what he was drafted for I would say he was a pretty damn good contributor, especially considering that we are usually one of the better run defenses in the game, until we lost our co captains on D this year. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, man.

I can only image what this board will look like when BB/TB are gone and the entitled/spoiled fan base gets a dose of reality (i.e. how lucky we've been that our team has been this successful for so long).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There you both go - injecting that inconvenient, uncomfortable reality check into the discussion.  If BB ain't battin' a thousand in the draft he's an incompetent bumblef**k - didn't you know?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, man.

I can only image what this board will look like when BB/TB are gone and the entitled/spoiled fan base gets a dose of reality (i.e. how lucky we've been that our team has been this successful for so long).

[/QUOTE]

I know, but at the same time I have a hard time believing a few of these guys are really even fans. I know Boston is the mecca for spoiled, angry fans and all but this stuff is just not believable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Prediction...   He signs with Jets and makes the pro bowl.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

[QUOTE]

But if you're living in reality, he was a good player for them on the field and worth the Rd 2 selection.  He was a quality, starting caliber NFL inside backer that was a top level player vs. the run and brought a physical edge/toughness to the position.

[/QUOTE]

I wanted Bowman with that pick back then and I do even more now. What can ya do, Spikes was definitely not a bust here like Cunningham was.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There you both go - injecting that inconvenient, uncomfortable reality check into the discussion.  If BB ain't battin' a thousand in the draft he's an incompetent bumblef**k - didn't you know?

[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, one of the crew will be on here soon to label us as homers, and idiots. It is a typical last ditch resort to attempt to tear down ones credibility when losing a debate.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Of course he's a complete bust!! According to our local experts here....Brady & BB suck too. Add to that how horrible we have been the last 13 years, and we may as well cheer for another team as this team is obviously terrible.

C'mon pay attention guys....you didn't know this forum is where BB get's all his inside information? Oh wait, I just realized that's exactly why we haven't won the SB in 10 years.....BB & Brady did not take the advice of the brainiacs here. Who knew all they had to do is Fire BB the GM, make Brady stop feeding his ego by doing whatever he wants, and draft all pros with every pick? Jeesh...so easy!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

At the time I thought spikes was a solid pick. since drafted he has played well given what bb has asked him to do. 

PI can't fault bb for the pick, but, I would have done differently. I think the league is getting faster and more is demanded from lbs in terms of playing the pass, covering rb's and te's, I would have opted for a more athletic lb like Collins. I thought bowman could have been that guy, in that he is good in pass and run situations. 

Not saying bb is at fault for the pick, because spikes has performed, but overall, I wanted and have wanted bb to draft and build a slightly faster defense. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Generally I agree MB, but the point that leads to failure as a pick for me is he didn't last past his rook contract. A personality conflict should have been known prior to drafting the kid (really has he changed since his scouting report?). If you aren't signing your high draft picks past their rook contracts and on average it takes 1-2 years for them to develop into reliable starters. In Spikes case I'd say it took 1.5 years. So I would say 2.5yrs of starting service and being benched for a AFCCG isn't enough return for a 2nd round pick. What good is a pick if you have to replace them every 4 years and it takes 1-2 years to develop? That means you have to spend picks at the same position every 2 years and since they all won't work out it's not worth the investment. Spikes wasn't a bust by anymeans but I do think he was a bad pick because in the end the 2.5yrs of starting service didn't justify the 2nd round pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

At the time I thought spikes was a solid pick. since drafted he has played well given what bb has asked him to do. 

PI can't fault bb for the pick, but, I would have done differently. I think the league is getting faster and more is demanded from lbs in terms of playing the pass, covering rb's and te's, I would have opted for a more athletic lb like Collins. I thought bowman could have been that guy, in that he is good in pass and run situations. 

Not saying bb is at fault for the pick, because spikes has performed, but overall, I wanted and have wanted bb to draft and build a slightly faster defense. 

[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the kind of rational post that provokes thought and elicits discussion instead of personal attack.

Lifer, I understand and can't really disagree.  I thought, overall, Spikes performed welll but was indeed really only a 2-down LB.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the kind of rational post that provokes thought and elicits discussion instead of personal attack.

Lifer, I understand and can't really disagree.  I thought, overall, Spikes performed welll but was indeed really only a 2-down LB.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks AtJ.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.