Brandon Spikes will prove to be a star this year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes will prove to be a star this year

Although I'm still suffering from "Chad Jackson looks great in training camp" syndrome, I also have a good feeling about Spikes.  In Fact, despite some people dwelling on Brace, I'm excited over a lot of the players from the last 2 drafts.  Spikes, however, I think is going to be nasty.  He and Mayo will be a great combo inside; assuming Mayo had an off year last year solely due to injuries.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I hope so.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

we'll see....we haven't even gotten into pre-season games yet. Think I'll reserve judgement until 3-6 games into the season Cool

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I don`t know about star, but I do expect him to get more playing time than most rookies get from Belichick. Again that could happen game one, it could happen game 6.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Here is why I use the term "Star" which I use less than BB. (Who never uses it) I like this kid a lot.

Career notes from CBS draft report

Appeared in 47 games with 39 starts at linebacker … Collected 307 total tackles (178 solo) in his career … Registered 31.5 tackles for loss, including 6.5 QB sacks … Forced two fumbles, recovered four fumbles and had six interceptions which he returned for 139 yards and four touchdowns … Totaled four touchdown returns off interceptions from 2008-09, more than any other player in the nation and a Florida school record for interception touchdowns in a careerSince 1996, he is one of only three linebackers in the nation to have four interceptions returned for touchdowns… Invited to participate in the 2010 NFL Combine.

Spikes Write up from CBS Draft Report

Read & React: Quick to diagnose and has good speed to the ball. Has the speed to beat the back to the edge, good athletic ability and little to no wasted motion.

Run defense:
    Rare size and explosive punch to quickly disengage from blocks. Likes to initiate action and is physical shedding blocks. Can be undisciplined. Attacks the line of scrimmage so aggressively versus the run that he leaves cutback lanes for quick-footed runners to exploit. Can get locked up with blockers if his initial pop is absorbed. Needs to work on his use of hands to disengage.

Pass defense:
    Quick footwork to get depth in coverage. Very good reading the quarterback's eyes while in coverage. Breaks downhill quickly to close on the ball and arrives with attitude.

Tackling: Explosive wrap-up tackler who can separate the football from the ball carrier. Good athletic ability and balance to break down in space to make the tackle against smaller, quicker athletes. Doesn't consistently pursue with the reckless abandon normally associated with the position.

Pass Rush/Blitz:
    Effective stand-up blitzer. Varies his speed off the edge and uses his explosive upper-body strength to push blockers into the pocket. Good strength and lateral agility to slide off blocks and pressure the passer.

Intangibles:Suspended for one game in 2009 for attempting to gouge the eyes of a Georgia running back Washaun Ealey. Spikes was not penalized on the play, but was suspended for the first half of the Vanderbilt game by coach Urban Meyer after his film review of the play. Spikes extended the suspension, himself, to a full game in an effort to not be a distraction to the team. Voted a team captain in 2008-09 and was a member of the 2008 UF Football leadership Committee. Returned for his senior campaign despite earning a first-day grade from the NFL Advisory Committee. Good bloodlines. Cousin, Takeo Spikes, plays inside linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers.

NFL Comparison: Takeo Spikes

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleLazJunior. Show LittleLazJunior's posts

Good Eveing Patriot fans, Now Im going to disagree here...No one can say fer sure who is going to be good or bad. There is much to be proven no doubt but until the gloves come off and punches are thrown and teeth get knoceked out, you cant say who's even going to make the team...and thats just the cheerleading squad! Huurumph!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes will prove to be a star this year:
    [QUOTE]Good Eveing Patriot fans, Now Im going to disagree here...No one can say fer sure who is going to be good or bad. There is much to be proven no doubt but until the gloves come off and punches are thrown and teeth get knoceked out, you cant say who's even going to make the team...and thats just the cheerleading squad! Huurumph!!!
    Posted by LittleLazJunior[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jr, you are a sage

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodwilly. Show capecodwilly's posts

[QUOTE]Good Eveing Patriot fans, Now Im going to disagree here...No one can say fer sure who is going to be good or bad. There is much to be proven no doubt but until the gloves come off and punches are thrown and teeth get knoceked out, you cant say who's even going to make the team...and thats just the cheerleading squad! Huurumph!!!
    Posted by LittleLazJunior[/QUOTE]

Er, duh! Why bother to even have a forum until the games officially start? It's all speculation at every forum right now. Oh ... by the way ... the sky is blue.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Watched this kid a lot because Florida was on every week.  Loved him but never though Pats would grab him.  I think he is going to be a big time player.  Pats D is going to be tough in middle: Big Vince, Mayo, Spikes/McKenzie and Chung can all bring the lumber.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]Watched this kid a lot because Florida was on every week.  Loved him but never though Pats would grab him.  I think he is going to be a big time player.  Pats D is going to be tough in middle: Big Vince, Mayo, Spikes/McKenzie and Chung can all bring the lumber.
    Posted by BSII[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking the same thing. They Pats are going to be very tough to run against inside the tackles.  Can't wait to see the Spikes and Mayo plugging up the middle!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from vinniedonuts1. Show vinniedonuts1's posts

i always hated how peopel were knocking him for his 40 time, 5.0 is only .4 from 4.6 which many rb's wont run better than that.Now you could never click a stopwatch fast enough to clock 0.4.Its really not that big a deal from a ILB specially when rb's dont run full speed to the hole.Not to mention he isnt playing a 4-3 where he would have more field to cover, this guy is going to be a solid player

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]He's a big piece for the future. This kid can be BETTER than Bruschi if he just let's BB coach him.
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Bruschi was a great Patriot, but he wasn't a dominant MLB. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vinniedonuts1. Show vinniedonuts1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes will prove to be a star this year : Bruschi was a great Patriot, but he wasn't a dominant MLB. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

no but he was solid, an all around mlb

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Au contraire, mon frer.  Bruschi WAS dominant, just not in the Ted Johnson mold.  His pass coverage was magnificent, and he filled with stunning quickness.  I don't know how much more you could WANT from a guy.  His image in my mind will forever be him in the AFC Championship wrestling the ball away from Rhodes... going to the sideline and saying to the camera "They're looking for this?  THEY AIN'T GOT IT!"  Tedy is the frickin MAN.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Teddy B. was a game changer and a leader on Defense.  Something we have been missing for a while.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]He's a big piece for the future. This kid can be BETTER than Bruschi if he just let's BB coach him.
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Agreed: Bruschi was great because he played better than his skills. He knew the game, knew where to be and made the big play.

I believe, IF Spikes lets BB coach him, he can be Bruschi smart with better size, skills and quickness.

For all the Teddy lovers, I am not dissing Teddy, love him and think he is a leader. With out him we don't have three rings

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Huge Spikes fan here, but much like in the Brady vs Manning debate, it will takes rings to supplant Teddy in my eyes.  I think Spikes has a HUGE upside in talent, leadership, instincts, and vocally taking this team forward.  We just have to hope all the pieces are there. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sapper1. Show sapper1's posts

Trust me as a Florida Gator...Brandon Spikes will take care of business for us. He (reads) like he knows the play before hand. As the game moves on he gets stronger, you will see. This guy is the real deal for us! Go Gators!! Go Pats!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TommyBrady12. Show TommyBrady12's posts

not sure spikes will even start, since tyrone mckenzie is also getting high praise at ILB. I wish we could move either one to OLB, where we have a bigger need. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Our middle looks to be as solid as ever. Big Vince with Mayo and Spikes/McKenzie stuffing the runs up the middle, its going to fun to watch. I'm hoping both Spikes and McKenzie turn out to be great, that way we can have a solid ILB rotation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brandon Spikes will prove to be a star this year : Agreed: Bruschi was great because he played better than his skills. He knew the game, knew where to be and made the big play. I believe, IF Spikes lets BB coach him, he can be Bruschi smart with better size, skills and quickness. For all the Teddy lovers, I am not dissing Teddy, love him and think he is a leader. With out him we don't have three rings
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]BINGO! I love your analysis. Bruschi may have not been a "physical specimen" but he played w/heart and had a great Football IQ. I would not say that Spikes is not a physical specimen, his knock was his 40 speed, which we know really doesnt mean jack. I think Spikes is going to be a very good if not great MLB. I am excited!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

I think Teddy had more heart than any player you will ever see play the game. He did not get a lot of notice outside of NE, in terms of pro bowls, etc... but his intangables you could not measure. I really cannot throw enough praise Teddy's way. I so wish he was still here and about 10 years younger.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodwilly. Show capecodwilly's posts

Looks like he actually had three games where he got quite a few sacks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

Ive always been high on Spike , and still am. Ive said to my friends that I think this kid will be a star for the next 10-12 years. I was hoping that the Pats would scoop him up all year. And then when we grabbed him in the second , man what a score. The same issues people were bringing up prior to the draft , were the same issues people brought up in college while he was tearing it up. And yea I know thats college , but he was do this in the SEC , basically minor league football. LOL In fact I think they get paid more then any minor league sports player. Ive been a fan since I first saw him play and love the fact that he's a big ILB. I always prefer bigger guys and at 6-3/255 , this kid is an absolute beast! Hes always had great instincts and is always around the ball. So hes not a speed demon , as someone who works w/ athletes , I can tell you that training absolutely will help you in whatever sport your playing. That said , you never want to over do it , it can only take you so far. In fact I always tell my guys/girls to save a little in the gym so you can leave it all on the field. Theres only so many sets/reps you can do , you want to get better at shotting free throws ... then go shoot free throws. You want to be a great football player , LOL then you need to play football. Spikes has always shown great instincts , might not have blazing speed coming off the edge , but is very effective when ask to blitz. This kid has tremendous athletic ability and moves as well as anyone inside the tackles and does a very good job at shedding off blockers. Spikes is a rare breed w/ his size/strength and explosivness. For a guy his size hits the hole and the carrier extremely fast and has the ability to seperate the ball from the carrier. Hes always been quick to diagnose plays , very good footwork , crazy skill set that allows him to be a playmaker in the box and in coverage. Obviously 3rd down is the most important down , and right now he'll probably come off the field , but this kid has starter written all over him. Hes just to good and again his skill set is just to good to be sitting on the bench. Hes going to make mistakes and is still a little raw , but IMO he'll be a playmaker from jump. A Mayo/Spikes tandom is real scarey to think about , the athletic ability both bring to the table is through the roof ... LOL and both will lay you out! These are to big thumpers that could become two of the top 5-10 backers in the game. I know everyone on this board was screaming about getting a pass rush , and w/ very good reason. But I just didnt see anyone that was projected to play OLB that was a " had to have ". And I thought we had a real need at ILB , one that couldnt wait much longer. We had real trouble rushing the passer , and real trouble at the ILB spot. To many guys were beating us around the around edge , grabbing extra yards because of poor tackling and our guys did a poor job at hitting the holes and initiating contact at the line of scrimmage. Spikes can/will help w/ all 3 immediatly. He does a great job at wrapping up , has great strength to help collapse the pocket and push back blockers. He might not have the speed to rush the passer at OLB , but has more than enough to beat backs coming around the edge and make them think twice about doing it again. LOL Im getting excited thinking about the possabilites of a Mayo/Spikes duo.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I loved Bruschi but I beg to differ I think he sucked in pass coverage. His pass coverage Manning exploited in the playoff game in 2006. They went after him by design. I'll always remember his int in the Indy game in foxboro in the snow.