Brandon Spikes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfantiltheend. Show patsfantiltheend's posts

Brandon Spikes

I definetly think that the Patriots shouldn't take Brandon Spikes with their first round pick at # 22, but if he's available i think we take a chance on him. He might be worth the risk. Personally im not a huge Spikes fan but i think he could work well in the Patriots system.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: Brandon Spikes

There's some new questions apparently about his speed? I think it was Kiper who said if he shows poorly in that regard he may slip to 3 or 4th round.

I personally have no idea, simply relaying what I read recently.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

MVP he is a ILB

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

If he lasts till our last 2nd rd pick, jump on him.  Now if he and Sergio Kindle are both available there, we might have to flip a coin. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

MVP Guyton really needs to be moved to OLB. He just doesnt have the size and strength to play inside

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

If they're going to get an ILB, get McClain!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from k-maxx. Show k-maxx's posts

Guyton will not be on this team next year, You can bank that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from k-maxx. Show k-maxx's posts

He got pushed around way to much this year.  The entire LB crew got exposed as frauds on Sunday.  Trust me, BB will bring in a Vet to go with Mayo, there is still McKenzie and I'm sure we will add another ILB at some point during Draft weekend (if it still on the weekend).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The top four ranked ILB's by NFL Scout.com:Brandon Spikes FLA,Lee Penn St.,Washington TCU,Sharpeton Uof Miami.McClain wasn't listed in the top 100 players,but after watching him play in the BCS Championship game he looks like he could be another stud on the inside with the ability to destroy a RB's will to run inside.Of course these rankings were done awhile back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewEnglandah. Show TheNewEnglandah's posts

Guyton is not a good LB, we need a play maker out there! Draft or trade for a Ray Lewis, Urlacher, Merriman.....to complement Mayo, who I think is a stud,  I wouldn't mind signing Burress as an OLB, but not a DE!  I think we should trade for an elite pass rusher like Peppers and then draft one in the 1st round, or trade up for one in the first round. Resign Wilfork, let Green go, I like him but obviously we're going to need money to, to resign Mankins as well.  I wouldn't be surprised if you see a trade either.  I just think we need to retool the D line.......once we get a good D line the rest of the Dfence will fall into place with an addition of one more secondary player resigning bodden as well........overall I think we need 5 very good players to make this a superbowl contending team.  WR, 2 DE's, ILB, Corner

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Guyton will not be on this team next year, You can bank that"

Disagree.  He's got a cheap contract, has played in the system for 2 yrs now, and is a good athlete.  He may never be a good starter, but even if that's the case, they could do a hell of a lot worse for a backup LB and special teams guy.  Look how long Eric Alexander managed to stick around.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from k-maxx. Show k-maxx's posts

"Disagree.  He's got a cheap contract, has played in the system for 2 yrs now, and is a good athlete.  He may never be a good starter, but even if that's the case, they could do a hell of a lot worse for a backup LB and special teams guy.  Look how long Eric Alexander managed to stick around."

True.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Guyton will be here, but he is not a starter here. Athleticism and triangle numbers only take you so far, and his were great. But every knock coming out of college on this kid seems true . . . he is slow to diagnose. 

That said, I think the answer here might come from FA like Kmaxx said. They don't need anything super fancy in that roster spot, just someone who can ID where the RB is coming from and track him down without getting washed out.

Spikes would be a perfect fit here to compliment Mayo, as his skills are geared around run stopping and MIKING. Would love to see him come here. 

Yeah, McClain is the best prospect, but Spikes isn't as far behind as the hype indicates. 

I think moving in the Spikes direction indicates that NE thinks the have OL, WR, or DE/OLB covered in FA. 

The chances of Spikes slipping deep are 50/50 as people are going to want to see timed speed, as that has been his knock. If he is around in the second you take him. Think of him as a smarter more responsible version of Rey Maualuga. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

I think Guyton will be back and I don't think Spikes will be around at #22!

If he falls that far, I'd be really happy to snag him!  He would be a great addition to Mayo and exactly the type of player the Pats should draft.  That said, this draft seems to be really deep at Linebacker (both inside and outside) and I wouldn't be surprised if we picked 2 this year.  

I expect their first round pick is the best defensive guy on the board, regardless of position.  They wouldn't go wrong with a DT or DE, CB or LB.  You could argue they don't need to pick up a saftey in the first round.  At some point in the 3rd or 4th round they'll probably take a run at a RB.  I also expect they'll pick up one WR in free agency. 

Their draft could go very differently if Wilfork leaves.  If that happens, they'll definitely go DT in the first round and maybe even trade down to get the guy they see as his replacement.  Hopefully we resign Wilfork and can really retool the Defense in this draft!!!!

Go Pats!  In Bill I trust!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

If they get Spikes at 22, I'd be happy.  He's a tough, aggressive and instinctive player with good size/speed (6-3 250 4.7) and decent coverage/ball skills (6 career INT's returning 4 for TD) who appears to be a possible 3 down backer at the next level.  He's was the emotional defensive leader for Gators.......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

The rub in this whole plan is where Spikes falls. I wouldn't pull the trigger on him in the first round, as I feel that there are larger issues that the Pats will address over ILB (namely OL and DE). If Spikes is around in the second round, though, then I seriously consider him, which isn't a knock on his ability. Spikes is a great talent, but not the talent for which the Pats have the greatest need.

Everybody thought that Maualuga was the best ILB and a first-round lock in last year's draft , and look where he fell. If Spikes falls victim to that trend, I don't think that Belichick will hesitate to take him. A Spikes-Mayo pairing in the middle would be a great tandem that could definately form a core for this young defense to build around.

I wouldn't count on McClain being around at pick 22, though. In fact, I would be shocked if he falls past 15. McClain has some serious talent. He is going to be an impact player for whoever he plays for.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

why draft a stud 4-3 middle baker who roves like a tampa 2 MLB...?

we have one of them his name is Jerod Mayo

we also have a stud back up @ MLB Gary Guyton if he resigns

we also have McKenzie the highly regarded vocal leader who tor his ACl in mini camp... he is a MLB like Guyton and played strong and weakside MLB in a 3-4 4-3 style defense @ central florida

Not to mention Shawn Crabel will play this year

the patriots are going to unload Thomas which gaurantees Woods return to the team as a need

but this team is definitely going 3-4 DE and OLB with possible its top three picks

i think the WR come to us via free agency

i.e. Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin, Deion Branch, Josh Reed

But i do feel like we could find a true burner in the draft some one like Mike Wallace at pitsburge who has 4.2 straight line speed

i would not be surprised if the patriots made a move on Reggie Bush to replace Faulk as reggie has a high salary bonus about to hit that the saints may not want to pay

Adding Bush, Boldin, or Marshall with Edleman, Moss and Brandon Tate and a weekness becaomes a strenght rather quickly

i will admit the patriots need to simplify there system to get new WR on the same page with Brady right away... that BS with Galloway this year was an issue where belecheck was not willing to play to the players strengths well he may need to put more pressure on Brady to play to his weapons strengths in the years to come

D3efensively if we retain Bodden, Wilfork, Guyton and Woods and add a first round OLB along with a 3-4 DE we will be all set

i too feel the patriots will benefvigt buy allowing Jerod the freedom of playing in more tampa 2 schemes

we have the personel to do it

Tampa 2

Banta Cain, Prior, Wilfork, Warren
    Guyton          Mayo              Woods/Crabel

Bodden      Chung      Meriwheather       Butler

3-4

Wright, Wilfork, Warren
    Woods, guyton, mayo, Crable/1st rounder
    bodden Sanders Meriwheather Butler

4-3 
    Banta Cain, Wright, Prior, Warran
    Guyton, Mayo, Woods/Crable/rookie
    Bodden Chung meriwheather butler

5-1-5 hybrid

banta cain, wright, prior, warren, woods

Mayo
    bodden, meriwheather, Sanders, Chung, Butler

the personell can be grouped so well

i would suspect that thomas is done Mcgowan who came on hot may get cut due to a poor december, 

we need OLB's PERIOD

Draft some TE's depth possible one WR and one RB but all the other eight move can be mad in trade or free agency 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Next to McClain, I believe Spikes is the best. However, IMO McClain is the only ILB who will be picked up in the first round and it's doubtful that he will be available at 22. Spikes is a good pick up in the middle of the second round, a bargain if still available when the Pats pick their third second-rounder.

OL and DL are what Pats should focus on for their first 2 picks, unless they pick up strong ones in FA.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I too would like to see either McClain or Spikes in the middle. The defense needs a mean streak, it was certainly missing this year. Would Guyton's speed be better used on the outside?