BRANDON SPIKES

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

BRANDON SPIKES

I see this kid as our 2010 version of Bryan Cox.  Brandon is exactly the guy we need as Rodney Harrison has retired and we have not had a player to deliver the knock out punch since those days.  Attitude - yes he will put it back on the table and it is about time!!  You play our Team and you go home black and blue.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Re: BRANDON SPIKES

Hope you're right but I attend a few Florida games and always had the impression that he was overrated.  Florida was loaded on defense and playing with Dunlop, Cummingham, Jones, Stamper, Wright, and Joe Haden would make any middle LB look pretty good at the college level.  I think if he is as good as Pat's fans think he is then he would have gone in the first round . . . hope I'm wrong on this one!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Re: BRANDON SPIKES:
    Hope you're right but I attend a few Florida games and always had the impression that he was overrated.  Florida was loaded on defense and playing with Dunlop, Cummingham, Jones, Stamper, Wright, and Joe Haden would make any middle LB look pretty good at the college level.  I think if he is as good as Pat's fans think he is then he would have gone in the first round . . . hope I'm wrong on this one!
    Posted by tenace4life

Brandon will again be playing alongside some pretty good talent.  I think he would be free to clean up around the ball.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Maybe it was the guys around him who were overrated and they only looked good because they had people like Spikes on their team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins248. Show bruins248's posts

what round did rodney harrison go in?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins248. Show bruins248's posts

Posted by tenace4life

rodney harrison was drafted fifth round so yeah this guy could even turn out to be better then him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

"I see this kid as our 2010 version of Bryan Cox"

This statement is beyound ridiculous. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins248. Show bruins248's posts

i'm serious who is bryan cox

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mainevent1836. Show mainevent1836's posts

Bryan Cox was one H3ll of a linebacker for us during the early 2000s and start of the Dynasty. He brought toughness and tremendous leadership. Him along with Bruschi, Johnson, and McGinest(spelling?), along with the D-line were the reasons we had such a top ranking Defense. If we could get back to that level, I would be extremely happy. But what we as fans have to realize is that Spikes is a rookie, he'll make some contributions but if he has a rookie season like Mayo did, it would be a huge positive and much more than expected. If not, let's give him time to learn the system and grow as a player. It's not panic time, we did finish the year at 10-6, making the playoffs, with a team that had inner turmoil, and underachieved on the defensive end.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here are five good articles on Spikes:

1.) http://www.nesn.com/2010/05/brandon-spikes-eager-to-prove-value-to-patriots-defense.html; and

2.) http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/new_england_patriots_brandon_spi_04-30-10_3MI_v2.2e9756c.html; and

3.) http://www.examiner.com/x-1324-New-England-Patriots-Examiner~y2010m4d24-Patriots-get-steal-of-the-second-round-in-Florida-ILB-Brandon-Spikes; and

4.) http://www.onlygators.com/04/28/2010/takeo-spikes-endorses-cousin-cunningham/; and

5.) http://www.onlygators.com/05/01/2010/spikes-comfortable-with-reporters-new-england/ 

Of the Pats' picks in the 2010 draft, Spikes was my favorite. This guy is nasty, tough, and instinctive. It remains to be seen whether his apparent lack of speed will prevent him from becoming a force at ILB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Spikes isn't even a starter. 

Last I checked, Mayo and Guyton were still the ILBs for New England. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Here are five good articles on Spikes: 1.) http://www.nesn.com/2010/05/brandon-spikes-eager-to-prove-value-to-patriots-defense.html ; and 2.)  http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/new_england_patriots_brandon_spi_04-30-10_3MI_v2.2e9756c.html ; and   3.) http://www.examiner.com/x-1324-New-England-Patriots-Examiner~y2010m4d24-Patriots-get-steal-of-the-second-round-in-Florida-ILB-Brandon-Spikes ; and   4.) http://www.onlygators.com/04/28/2010/takeo-spikes-endorses-cousin-cunningham/ ; and 5.) http://www.onlygators.com/05/01/2010/spikes-comfortable-with-reporters-new-england/        Of the Pats' picks in the 2010 draft, Spikes was my favorite. This guy is nasty, tough, and instinctive. It remains to be seen whether his apparent lack of speed will prevent him from becoming a force at ILB.
    Posted by TexasPat3

~I mean, what I kno is coming next, sorta already feels like an out of body experience...Spikes, wow...o.k. (breathe man)- I...I, I'm in complete agreement with TP here on this one (boy, there was a second where I didn't think I was going to be able to do that)...

Anyway, Spikes and McCourty ARE studs...They ARE my 2 favorite draftees...bar none. 
         McCourty, IS the complete and total package in terms of his potential to become a league shutdown CB with a COMPLETE and total all-around game (stated and RE-stated by me)...AND this is whether or not IF he actually became a NE Patriot. 
          Spikes, on the otherhand, IS the complete and total package in terms of him being the perfect fit on NE's Defense, and in terms of Spikes being precisely what This NE Defensive Team needs.

Brandon Spikes:  To those who say that this Rookie will in no rational way be a Game 1 Starter OR has the potential to be a 3-down LB...I say first, O.k...It IS tough to completely fully get the complexities of a BB led Defense in the beginning of your very first year in the Pros...  YET, far more importantly in terms of Spikes=Rookie Starter, I say...who then?  
         Tyrone McKenzie?  A 2nd year Rook who didn't even see the field, AND who's even smaller than = Choice #2-Gary Guyton?  Did ANYone actually WATCH Guyton getting freakin' blown up when He was NE's 3-4 Defense's Strongside Inside Linebcker (MIKE)?  Gary Guyton played mostly OLB @ Ga Tech...At just barely above 6'2 and currently @ 241-2 lbs, Dear God-@ The Combine, Guyton had something absurd, like a 40 Inch vert, and ran a deadly mid 4.4's 40 y.d.... He'll be The BEST EVER, Right?  No...Ain't neither strong enough (Bench was like 20 @ 225lbs), OR smash-mouth enough in attitude, OR experienced enough @ SILB, and imo not even heavy enough to do what a SILB does...Play smash-mouth with the extra O-Lineman runnin full-bore @ the ILBs, as there are only 3 D-Lineman, SO that fantastic smaller, unbelievable @ pure form-tackling/reading plays, ETS the perfect MOST uninhibited shot at the ball-carrier.  Gary Guyton=EXCELLENT @ filling in as a versatile ILB (preferably weakside in order to give Mayo a breather/EXCELLENT in all-around versatility, as he can even give  the weakside OLB a breather/BUT BEST to be used as a LB on CERTAIN 3rd and Long Nickle Defense packages as a pass-defending LB... 

Man...ANYone actually watch him @ StrongsideILB?

Brandon Spikes = 6'3 and 255lbs.  UNreal angles and avid filmwork pertaining to opponent preparation TRUMPS 5.0 40 time...1/2 of 1 second slower than Guyton (IF ya want a comparison, Rey Maualuga ran a 4.9 40) on a straight running on a track field, doesn't mean that Gary Guyton is thus, and will of course make, a better SILB than Spikes.

Brandon Spikes=Stronger, Bigger, LOVES Playing smash-mouth and simply punishing ball-carriers, Florida Defensive Leader, Plays with trully unreal passion, Excellent skills @ shedding blocks, I believe he was top 3 (of ALL LBs) @ 3-cone drill + taken with fanatial opponent filmwork=Better angles, Better "jump" on play, and Better in small-space...

~BUT alright, That's great, Ya STILL don't believe me on Spikes.  That 1/2 second slower than Gary Guyton (who was his Combines FASTEST LB in all)-Anyway this 1/2 sec trackfield 40 is REALLY buggin' ya, right?

Brandon Spikes stats (remember, He IS a MLB! when one considers things like backfield prescence/threat AND passing defense):

Here ya go:
    U of Fla
    47 Games Played
    307 TTs
    31.5 Tackles For Loss...again, an MLB people!
    6.5 Sacks...MLB people don't get Sacks.
    6 INTs (4! returned for TDs-clearly everyone on Offense was slow during those 4 INT-TD returns too).
    14 Pass Break-ups...yet again, an MLB!
    4 Fumble Recoveries
    2 Forced Fumbles
    (And yes, this does NOT include Conference/Bowl Games)

~But again, yea- Brandon Spikes IS 1/2 a second slower than the very FASTEST LB out of every LB in the 2008 NFL Draft Combine=Gary Guyton's undoubtedly the man at SILB!

ALSO, To the poster that said Spikes was overrated because you personally saw The FLA vs ALABAMA Game in which Dunlap was out or something with an Injury, AND Spikes "Really Suffered" without Dunlap on the D-Line to help...
    Homeboy, Spikes was 2nd on the Team in that Game with 9 TTs (1 guy w/ 10TTs), Had 1 TFL, and 2 QB Hits...Heisman Mark Ingram rushed for only like 110 yards @ a 4.0 average (the guy who's the nation's BEST RB?)  I mean, guy-Florida's #1 Offense put up 13 points in total, and din't even score at all in the second half...BUT Spikes is the reason Fla got the L?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Spikes isn't even a starter.  Last I checked, Mayo and Guyton were still the ILBs for New England. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

He will see playing time and Bill loves big bangers at ILB.  I have never been sold on Guyton as a long term solution to pair with Mayo.  I can see Spikes as that guy.  Time will tell but I know we have to get back to the smash mouth Defense which we were famous for in the past - It wins football games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

"I see this kid as our 2010 version of Bryan Cox" This statement is beyound ridiculous. 
    Posted by Tcal2

Relative to WHAT??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Bryan Cox was one H3ll of a linebacker for us during the early 2000s and start of the Dynasty. He brought toughness and tremendous leadership. Him along with Bruschi, Johnson, and McGinest(spelling?), along with the D-line were the reasons we had such a top ranking Defense....
    Posted by mainevent1836

You're right and he doesn't get near the credit he deserves for his contribution to the Pats.

Cox was a tremendously talented player with Miami.  Big, fast, tough and almost totally insane.  I think he once challenged the entire city of Buffalo to a fight.    He was suspended, fined, you name it.  He even sued a local talk show host (Phil Hendrie) for libel. 

By the time he got to the Pats he was way past his prime, but he could still bring it.  Ask Jerome Pathon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hortonhearsacup. Show hortonhearsacup's posts

I am a steelers fan so this is not a pats fan saying this , but I agree wholeheartedly with the bryan cox comparision, a tough, hardnosed runstuffer with leadership abilities due to his play an attitude on the field instead of being liked because he brings food to the homeless. i think he is one of the best actual football players in the draft.old school bellichek type player

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

But what we as fans have to realize is that Spikes is a rookie, he'll make some contributions but if he has a rookie season like Mayo did, it would be a huge positive and much more than expected. If not, let's give him time to learn the system and grow as a player.
    Posted by mainevent1836

If ESPN can say that Jets can be rated 4th in the Power Rankings with "Franchize" at the wheel. We can say we will win the SB with Spikes. Tongue out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I would say that we KNow that Mayo and TBC will start when the season opens. The other 2 linebacker slots are completely up for Grabs. If Spikes steps up BB won't have a problem sticking him in there. Guyton has shown some brief sparkles at inside but he's not the answer to our problems at LB. I hope Spikes is that guy to step up and make a difference.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hortonhearsacup. Show hortonhearsacup's posts

mvp that is how scouts and fans evaulate players quite often comparing college players with certain skill sets to nfl players that have been sucessful with those skills sets. We all know that the draft can be a crapshot anytime that you are dealing with 20-23  year old young men. But that is all we really have is comparisions, they do this in business, sports and of course sports . We are always looking for the next montana, LT and so on. By the russgriswald that comment is one of the funniest I like it. I am rational because I am from new england and a huge fan of the other big 3 teams in new england. i grew up in the 70's and being a linebacker myself feel in love with steel curtain and the steelers style.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

I hate it when people say "well he played with alot of talent around him"

Ugh... Any player thats being plugged into an NFL team wont be doing it by himself. Last time I checked the Pats have pro bowlers on that D and they have young guys who as well are waiting to break out. 

Vince Wilfork clearing space for Brandon and Mayo? Yeah wont have any talent around him.... 

Brandons going to be basically what this team needs. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I can't imagine Nunn and Price opposite Moss because Nunn doesn't play for the Pats anymore. I can imagine Welker/Edelman and Tate opposite Moss, which I think is equally as deadly if not more. 

Regarding Spikes...He will contribute his 1st year depending upon how much he sees the field. He is big enough to play that position well with ease, and should really open things up for Mayo to be the playmaker. Heck, if we have 2 playmakers inside, great. Spikes does not concern me. What concerns me is the darn outside spots. We are weak again, and have been for a while. TBC does not strike fear in me, nor does Burgess. We need a Spikes like guy out on the edge. I hope Cunningham can be partly the answer this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

mvp that is how scouts and fans evaulate players quite often comparing college players with certain skill sets to nfl players that have been sucessful with those skills sets. We all know that the draft can be a crapshot anytime that you are dealing with 20-23  year old young men. But that is all we really have is comparisions, they do this in business, sports and of course sports . We are always looking for the next montana, LT and so on. By the russgriswald that comment is one of the funniest I like it. I am rational because I am from new england and a huge fan of the other big 3 teams in new england. i grew up in the 70's and being a linebacker myself feel in love with steel curtain and the steelers style.
    Posted by hortonhearsacup

Good, that explains it!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

TBC gets a raw deal around here, the guy had 10 sacks last year in a system that does not get too many guys double digit sacks. Vrabel did it in 2007 and was the first double digit sack guy in like 15 years or something. Gives TBC some credit the guy can get after a QB.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

I see TBC and Burgess as JAGs. They're not going to make big mistakes but they're just adequate at best. What we need is a genuine Elvis Demerville/Willie McGinest type playmaker at ROLB, someone who really scares the defense. 

I'll be watching Sergio Kindle this year, he seems like that type of guy. I'm not going to criticise BB for not grabbing Sergio or his like this year but if we can't land at least one of these types of guysb with our sackful of high picks next year, I might just paint my face green and go on over to the jests.

Not really. I've been a Pats fan since we dafted Jim Plunket (I think that was 1971, for you young pups out there who never heard of the man!). 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Killa, I'll give TBC credit as an outside Nickel Rusher on third down. I am not comfortable however with him playing on first and second down. He is a situational type player and should be regarded as such. The problems we have at OLB are a directly linked to the personnel there. We seem to have situational players. Woods is good against the run but bad against the pass. TBC and Burgess the opposite. Ninkovich seems to be alright but not good against both. We need football players to start at OLB. Guys who can play 1st, 2nd and 3rd down. The situational types are good as backups and in certain "situations". As for Spikes, hope he does come along and get the starting job, but only if he truly earns it. As for Guyton, Laz had it when he said he is a situational, pass defending type of LB. The only problem with "benching" Guyton for Spikes is more and more offenses are stretching the field. I do expect Guyton's playing time to decrease this year, but I still think he sees more time than Spikes and Mackenzie combined. Guyton getting 50% of the snaps, Spikes 30% and Mack 20%. If Spikes gets 30% I will be really impressed and will have high hopes for him in his second year.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan

We have that, he's just been injured. 

Crable was a pretty good DE in college, two years of practicing at OLB must have made him a better cover man. He'll be the perfect fit at ROLB.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I have to say I truly hope you are right and I hope he is everything we think he is but i kind of have to laugh at this kind of thing. You are compeering him to Cox before he even played a game, before he even came to training camp i mean we dont even know if this wins the starting job yet and people are just so willing to hand him the keys to the defense. I hope he is as good as we think but i wont hand anyone respect till they earn it.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

All those Florida kids are overrated. Especially Spikes and Tebow. 

People thought Tebow was Montana, Young, Brady, Manning and Reggie White. 

Now Spikes is Cox, Ted Johnson and Rodney Harrison.