Brandon Tate: First Day Analysis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Brandon Tate: First Day Analysis

I read a few of the articles some journalists wrote and didn't see much on Tate. I figured I might as well write what I saw of him while at camp today.

First off, it wasn't Holt lining up opposite of Moss. For the Majority of practice it was Moss, Tate, and Edelman lining up to catch balls from Brady.

He looked quick and beat the defenders quite often. He seemed confident and aware of the sidelines. There was one diving catch he made at the end zone that was just spectacular. I was really surprised I didn't see any mention of it by any of the media because it was a great leap and grab that he pulled in. I was very impressed by him. I know I'm not a pro scout, but I can see talent and he has a ton of it.

There was only one pass I remember him dropping and that was because it was out of his reach. Brady hit his chest right after which seemed to signal to Tate that is was on Brady, which it was.

It was only the first day and there wasn't much to see, but I figured I'd comment on a player that I thought looked extremely promising while at camp today. You know, get away from all the negativity Gasper is cooking up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Re: Brandon Tate: First Day Analysis

Thanks for report 'hobo in four years I'll be joining you watching these practices.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

In Response to Brandon Tate: First Day Analysis:
    [QUOTE]I read a few of the articles some journalists wrote and didn't see much on Tate. I figured I might as well write what I saw of him while at camp today. First off, it wasn't Holt lining up opposite of Moss. For the Majority of practice it was Moss, Tate, and Edelman lining up to catch balls from Brady. He looked quick and beat the defenders quite often. He seemed confident and aware of the sidelines. There was one diving catch he made at the end zone that was just spectacular. I was really surprised I didn't see any mention of it by any of the media because it was a great leap and grab that he pulled in. I was very impressed by him. I know I'm not a pro scout, but I can see talent and he has a ton of it. There was only one pass I remember him dropping and that was because it was out of his reach. Brady hit his chest right after which seemed to signal to Tate that is was on Brady, which it was. It was only the first day and there wasn't much to see, but I figured I'd comment on a player that I thought looked extremely promising while at camp today. You know, get away from all the negativity Gasper is cooking up.
    Posted by magicalhobo[/QUOTE]

Nice job, who does he remind you of?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Before Tate can show us what he can do in the league, he's going to have to show us he can stay on the field.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

thanks bro I'm going there this weekend.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Tate: First Day Analysis:
    Before Tate can show us what he can do in the league, he's going to have to show us he can stay on the field.
    Posted by p-mike

Before Mike can get us to laugh, he's going to have to say something funny.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

If he is fully recovered from the knee surgery and attendant scar tissue adhesion issue, there is promise there.  We'll see.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

If you guys don't already know about it the guys at Patriots Football Weekly (who also have a great podcast PFW in Progress) have a write up of the practices as well.

Andy Hart did cover Tate:

Brandon Tate made a great catch on a deep ball down the left sideline against air early in practice. While falling to the ground he reached up to first bring the ball in with one hand before securing it with the other as he went to the ground just inside the pylon for the touchdown.

Here is the link:
    http://blog.pfwonline.com/?p=3278

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrudd. Show jrudd's posts

In Response to Brandon Tate: First Day Analysis:
    I got to watch this kid closely in college as a NC Pats fan. He was incredible before his injury at UNC.  He out played Hakeem Nicks and was the better player on that UNC team.  I am expecting him to make big contributions this year, and he will be on my FFL team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Thanks to anyone who hits a camp practice and then reports back like this. Much appreciated! Nice piece by Reiss over at ESPN.com, too. Sad we have to go over there to get legit reports. Sounds like Cunningham was batting down balls at the line.  Nice.  So, by some reports he looks good dropping into coverage and now he is batting down balls. Check and Check. Also, Chung and Edelman almost got into it after a play. I like it!!!
    Posted by russgriswold

You should have seen Faulk at Mayo going at it after Mayo apparently held Faulk. Mayo held him and batted a ball away which led to Faulk yelling, kicking some training dummies away, and challenging Mayo again. The second time Faulk beat Mayo easily which led to more yelling. The coaches got into it and started yelling at each other as well. Then they all shook hands and patted each other on the back while laughing. It was nice to see some energy at the camp. I hope to make it again in the next few days.

Also, Matthew Slater was working with the wide receivers and dropped or bobbled a decent amount of balls. With all the other guys looking good at punt and kick returns, I think he'll be a longshot to make the team. Not too surprising, but just sayin'

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Holt will be great here. Its the first day and he is an older WR.  Holt has the veteran savy that will make him a great weapon for Brady this year.

I see potential in Tate, but until I see him at least play a decent role in a preseason game, I am thinking of him as a KR or PR.  He might be great, but he has to show something for me to believe.

Any word on how old friend David Patten looked?  I cannot believe he is back. He was one of my favorites back in the day. I wonder if he has anything left.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon Tate: First Day Analysis : You should have seen Faulk at Mayo going at it after Mayo apparently held Faulk. Mayo held him and batted a ball away which led to Faulk yelling, kicking some training dummies away, and challenging Mayo again. The second time Faulk beat Mayo easily which led to more yelling. The coaches got into it and started yelling at each other as well. Then they all shook hands and patted each other on the back while laughing. It was nice to see some energy at the camp. I hope to make it again in the next few days. Also, Matthew Slater was working with the wide receivers and dropped or bobbled a decent amount of balls. With all the other guys looking good at punt and kick returns, I think he'll be a longshot to make the team. Not too surprising, but just sayin'
    Posted by magicalhobo

Who are your special teams predictions:

Slater
    Lockett
    Arrington
    Aiken
    Ventrone II

I say Ventrone II makes the team.  This time he causes a fumble on the Giants' kickoff return, sealing the deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Holt will be great here. Its the first day and he is an older WR.  Holt has the veteran savy that will make him a great weapon for Brady this year. I see potential in Tate, but until I see him at least play a decent role in a preseason game, I am thinking of him as a KR or PR.  He might be great, but he has to show something for me to believe. Any word on how old friend David Patten looked?  I cannot believe he is back. He was one of my favorites back in the day. I wonder if he has anything left.
    Posted by btownteamsrking

I agree, this was the first practice and he could always thrive. However, I do feel that Tate starting opposite Moss rather than Holt is pretty meaningful.

From what I saw, Patten caught everything thrown his way and ran pretty well. Compared to the young guys he looked like a turtle, though. I don't think he'll make the team, but you never know. Taylor Price is FAST, and looked even faster next to Patten.

Gronkowski looks like a monster and the balls seem to just stick to his hands. I didn't see too much of him because he was on the other side of the field quite a bit, but he is a monster. He looks bigger and leaner in person than I thought he would.

Mighty:
    I think Slater will be cut.
    Lockett has a chance but he got injured which makes me think it's doubtful.
    Arrington should make the team. Aiken wasn't there yesterday. I'm not sure what the deal was. I'd say he has a 50/50 chance because he was special teams captain last year. They kept Izzo for so long as the captain, maybe they'll keep Aiken? I don't think Ventrone will make the team because of the amount of bodies safety has with Lockett before Ventrone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Hernandez did most of the receiving on the other side of the field so I didn't see him that much. He looked quick and made a few good plays. From what I heard he made an amazing catch on the other side of the field that I wasn't able to see. Gronkowski was working with the kickoff team so I saw most of his work there.

The TEs practiced mostly by the defense's field, and if you've been there you know how hard it is to see over there. Crumpler looked big to me but surprised me with a couple catches. I noticed him spending some time with Gronk going over blocking. I can't tell you if he lost weight because that was the first time i've ever seen him. He looked like a very big guy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from marvcook. Show marvcook's posts

Hobo, I'm pretty sure Taylor Price will make the team. He was a third round pick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I'm sure Price will make the team. Sorry, I just reread where you thought I said Price won't make the team and what I wrote was a little confusing. I was just throwing out that Price was very fast after mentioning that Patten looked slow compared to the younger guys. I meant I didn't think Patten would make the team, not Price. Price is a lock.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

This continues what I read of Tate back in May.  He's had a year to study the playbook, two years for his first knee, and one year for his other leg.  Unless the horse breaks down he's off to the races. 

Gronk is a good pass catcher but my guess is that the big guy needs to learn to block at the NFL level.  Blocking isn't just pushing the other guy back, it's about hand and foot placement to get leverage.  A smaller guy can push a bigger guy aside with a good swim, rip or helicopter move.  Furthermore, the O-line moves as a team, so it's not just one guy stopping one guy.  Finally, NFL route running has to be precise.  Gronk took all last year off, remember that, so I don't expect him to start this September except in red zone situations where pass-catching height is a real gift.

Hernandez has fewer blocking responsibilities.  Put him in on second and medium-short.  Put him wide if a personnel mismatch is out there.

Torry Holt may well get canned and Aiken will have to play special teams because it's crowded out there.  Finally, BB can afford to let Wes Welker take six more weeks (= five games) off.  When Welker returns, possibly for the San Diego game, he'll be at his best and well-healed for an 11 game regular season run and probable playoff games too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Welker will start game one whether I like it or not. I would rather see him sit but he will play. And no way Torry Holt gets cut.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life
    I agree that Holt makes the team....Tate needs to show he can stay on the field...Price is a rook, nuf said...and Holt is the insurance if Tate beats him out...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Holt (and Patten FWIW) were brought in to mentor the likes of Tate, Price and Edelman.  There is the possibility that Holt might get cut, but I think he makes the team if only to provide leadership and to show the younger players how to be a professional. 

I'm just glad the team is back in the practice of devloping young WRs, and not relying on new Vets to come in every year to get the job done.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I hope Holt or Patten makes the team and stays healthy.  I'm excited to hear reports of the new guys looking good, but my expectations of rookies are somewhat tempered.  All rookies, no matter how great, will show their "rookieness" at times.  Those times are usually in the playoffs or high pressure games.  For instance, Tate may be able to run circles around Holt and may even catch more passes this year.  However, when we are playing for our lives in the playoffs and desperately need a TD, it will likely be someone like Holt who manages to get open and pull one in.  BTW, I do realize that Tate is technically not a rookie.

Or perhaps having Moss and Welker provides an adequate "veteran" presence, and it won't hurt us much to have the position flooded with rookies?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

These training camp reports are great, but they made me realize something about myself; Chad Jackson has left a permanent psychological scar on me.  Every time I hear something positive about a guy in camp, I think Chad Jackson.  I may need to seek professional help...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Hey Russ,
    Lets sign that guy on the ESPN blog to write for the Globe, problem is who do we cut? It would be a tuff choice who hits the door but I am sure this guy could replace 3 of them, would really save the NY Times some cash.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Holt is making the team. His route running and recognition of defenses will keep him on the team to teach Tate and others. He's one of the best receivers in NFL history. Unless he gets hurt there is zero chance Patten beats him out. He will be a great possesion receiver.