Brday Sound FX !!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Re: Brday Sound FX !!

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to themightypatriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Typical brady basher

[/QUOTE]

I know. Brady isn't perfect ... but here you have a WR taking blame on a play, and some people still want to disagree. 

It's ludicrous. 

[/QUOTE]

Wow...  You think Brady threw a good ball there...?  Really ?

[/QUOTE]

Do you understand how passing works? Most throws involve QBs throwing to a point in space ... not a WR in stride. The NFL isn't backyard football where people just run and you try to connect with them. 

If you see a FS over the top, but you also have steps on your CB/LBer (this was the case there) you usually break your route off into some shorter pattern.

If Edelman is supposed to run to a specific spot and turn around on a fade (he is, there was a safety over him) and he overruns the spot, it's always going to look like a pass to nowhere .... because the receiver wasn't where he should have been!

How hard is that to understand? 

Again, Brady isn't perfect. He's made his share of mistakes. That one is not on him. 

[/QUOTE]

In the  backyard football we play we always say run to spot X and cut (left or right) and come back and the ball is always released by the QB about the same time or before the  cut , it is devestating.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BB has been brilliant with trades overall, developing UDFAs and unearthing others trash and turning them into very good players (Ninkovich).

From 2010-2012, no GM in this league has been better across the board. Not Ted Thompson, not Jerry Reese, not Ozzie Newsome...not Kevin Colbert.  No one.

Of all the elite franchies in this league, drafting annually 27-32, in that range, no one has been better in these last 3 drafts, maybe 4, with the way these rooks are showing up.

Best GM and coach ever.  Point to a better, sustained resumes in this cap era, and you win.

If you can't, then you and others need to start to realize how difficult the cap is and how BB always tries to stay ahead of its pitfalls.

For every "high rd pick" he missed on, I can name a mid, late rd or UDFA signing that replaces that or betters it.

[/QUOTE]

And yet, despite having one of the greatest QBs of all time, he can't win any more Superbowls.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to kevin13130's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here we've got a first ballot Hall of Fame quarterback who has been playing elite football for over a decade. He's put in years of hard work at the position, and has been the reason for the Patriots success for the past several years. Somehow, we have people doubting this guy and siding with the unproven rookie receiver. That, to me, goes against all logic.

No, Brady obviously isn't perfect, but he's probably right 95% of the time. How do you not blame Dobson or Thompkins, who've each dropped probably 1 in every 4 perfectly thrown passes? Or how do you side with Edelman, a third-year vet who's barely seen extended action till this season?

Brady isn't throwing inaccurate passes or making bad decisions, he's throwing to the exact spot he wants it, and the receivers are slightly off that spot. If you gave Brady the benefit of the doubt over Ochocinco (who is actually a proven commodity in the league), why would you change your mind for a completely inexperienced cast of receivers?

That's false. If that was the case, he wouldn't have sucked overall in the postseason. That's the biggest myth out there.

Bill Belichick, his GM work in and out of the lockout and his coaching of these younger players is why, not Brady.

Ugh.

One of the biggest mythd of all time in this town.

Wait, can you name a QB in the current era that has performed better in the postseason than he has in the regular season? Peyton Manning? Aaron Rodgers? Drew Brees? Yeah, they've all dominated during the regular season and sucked overall in the postseason. Yes, A-Rod and D-Brees each had a postseason run, but they haven't been elite in their (few) other postseason appearances. Fact is, when you get to the playoffs, you play the best defenses in typically the worst weather conditions (for QB's). It's expected that their performances will inevitably drop.

Belichick the Coach and Brady are BOTH responsible for Patriots success. I don't know how you can argue BB the GM is carrying this team when he's used so many high-round picks on mega-studs (read: mega-duds) like Ras-I Dowling, Chad Jackson, Terrence Wheatley, and Patrick Chung. I think Belichick is an above average GM, but he's not elite in talent acquisition. His greatness in the coaching department covers up for that.

Even if you don't agree with me that Brady is a reason for the team's success, you at least have to concede that he is an elite QB. So how do you trust an undrafted rookie like Thompkins over said HoF QB? That would be like trusting Rex Ryan over Belichick in an argument on how to best deal with the media.

[/QUOTE]

BB has been brilliant with trades overall, developing UDFAs and unearthing others trash and turning them into very good players (Ninkovich).

From 2010-2012, no GM in this league has been better across the board. Not Ted Thompson, not Jerry Reese, not Ozzie Newsome...not Kevin Colbert.  No one.

Of all the elite franchies in this league, drafting annually 27-32, in that range, no one has been better in these last 3 drafts, maybe 4, with the way these rooks are showing up.

Best GM and coach ever.  Point to a better, sustained resumes in this cap era, and you win.

If you can't, then you and others need to start to realize how difficult the cap is and how BB always tries to stay ahead of its pitfalls.

For every "high rd pick" he missed on, I can name a mid, late rd or UDFA signing that replaces that or betters it.

[/QUOTE]

C'mon Russ. Address the point. You skip it and do your typical cut and paste on bb. Yes, he's great, no he's fantastic, the best ever. Now address the point above about Brady. for whatever reason you have a difficult time tying Brady to our sustained success. You always say its bb's doing and never give Brady any credit. What gives? Do you hate Brady this much? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Here we've got a first ballot Hall of Fame quarterback who has been playing elite football for over a decade. He's put in years of hard work at the position, and has been the reason for the Patriots success for the past several years. Somehow, we have people doubting this guy and siding with the unproven rookie receiver. That, to me, goes against all logic.

No, Brady obviously isn't perfect, but he's probably right 95% of the time. How do you not blame Dobson or Thompkins, who've each dropped probably 1 in every 4 perfectly thrown passes? Or how do you side with Edelman, a third-year vet who's barely seen extended action till this season?

Brady isn't throwing inaccurate passes or making bad decisions, he's throwing to the exact spot he wants it, and the receivers are slightly off that spot. If you gave Brady the benefit of the doubt over Ochocinco (who is actually a proven commodity in the league), why would you change your mind for a completely inexperienced cast of receivers?

That's false. If that was the case, he wouldn't have sucked overall in the postseason. That's the biggest myth out there.

Bill Belichick, his GM work in and out of the lockout and his coaching of these younger players is why, not Brady.

Ugh.

One of the biggest mythd of all time in this town.

Wait, can you name a QB in the current era that has performed better in the postseason than he has in the regular season? Peyton Manning? Aaron Rodgers? Drew Brees? Yeah, they've all dominated during the regular season and sucked overall in the postseason. Yes, A-Rod and D-Brees each had a postseason run, but they haven't been elite in their (few) other postseason appearances. Fact is, when you get to the playoffs, you play the best defenses in typically the worst weather conditions (for QB's). It's expected that their performances will inevitably drop.

Belichick the Coach and Brady are BOTH responsible for Patriots success. I don't know how you can argue BB the GM is carrying this team when he's used so many high-round picks on mega-studs (read: mega-duds) like Ras-I Dowling, Chad Jackson, Terrence Wheatley, and Patrick Chung. I think Belichick is an above average GM, but he's not elite in talent acquisition. His greatness in the coaching department covers up for that.

Even if you don't agree with me that Brady is a reason for the team's success, you at least have to concede that he is an elite QB. So how do you trust an undrafted rookie like Thompkins over said HoF QB? That would be like trusting Rex Ryan over Belichick in an argument on how to best deal with the media.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are right. Bb does a masterful job hiding busts with over achieving late round picks and UDFAs. He does this better than anyone. 

But can't you see the point? bb is backfilling positions that could have been occupied with top 60 talent by sliding in a udfa or late round pick. I got to think over time, this has some effect on overall roster quality? Just guessing, maybe I am wrong but it sounds logical.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm starting to suspect that Rusty is really Bridget Moynahan.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Long, long way to go for Brady to earn the trust back of the fans in January this year. We shall see.

Only Brady can prove to the fanbase he still gets it.   

[/QUOTE]

You are so off your rocker.  When was the last time you talked with anyone from New England?  Most people in New England love Tom Brady (in a sports world thing).  They hold him up as they do David Ortiz and Zdeno Chara.

Considering how you act, I'm going to guess you don't have any friends in New England, so your only actual contact with Pats fans is online.

You have no idea what people really think about Brady.

Here's a hint:  It's the opposite of your thoughts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

So, the graphic shows the pick wasn't Brady's fault.

Edelman's words say it wasn't Brady's fault.

That's enough evidence, right?

Rusty's response?  "No sa!  Let me tell you about a pass he underthrew in 2007."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

I knew the game wasn't over due to the 2:00 warning, but still, Brady has been doing that deep ball INT crap for years now. Moss used to bail him out, but for some reason he still thinks he can do that stuff whether it be to Matt Slater, Gronk on one leg or Edelman clearly covered.

[/QUOTE]

Okay, so when he has a decent receiver, he can complete passes like that, but when he's passing to special teams guys or injured guys, he can't.

Your words, not mine.

I wish Belichick the GM would listen to your analysis!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also, Edelman can take all the credit for the play, but he was doubled and not likely to beat a two man blanket. Did Brady think could box out and outjump guys that are more athletic? 

[/QUOTE]

No. The implication is that Edelman is supposed to stop and comeback.

If he stops, he isn't doubled .... some of the coverage is behind him. 

Stop bashing Brady. Really, get over it. You don't need to hear anything more than you just heard. 

[/QUOTE]

I respect your opinion and football knowledge, but I don't think you get what blanket coverage is. One guy underneath, one guy over the top. The guy who INT the pass was the underneath guy. Though Edelman had "overran" the route, the Saints defender was in a great position to make that INT and he did.

It was a bad throw. Jeez, I'm supposed to turn a blind eye when Brady makes a bone head mistake? I guess Gronk messed up in the SB when he didn't come back for the pass that got INT.

[/QUOTE]

Blanket coverage is a colloquialism. There is no such thing in the NFL. What you are refering to is bracket coverage. 

No ... if Edelman doesn't overrun his route by 10 yards .... would he be in the bracket?

No ... he would be underneath both zones.

Hence, his omission he overran the route and didn't make his read. 

See? It's that simple. That is how zone coverages work. It is also how variable routes counter zone coverage. It's the NFL passing game in a nutshell. 

Sorry ... you are wrong. Brady didn't make a bad play ... and (well) at least Edelman is aware of that ... whatever axe you have to grind. 

[/QUOTE]

Good comment Professor. Edelman screwed up and he knew it (twice) in the final minutes (same play). The play was not designed to get Edelman into the EZ but only to about inside the 10 yard line, he shoulda had it IMO, anyway. This is why he was pizzed at himself and did'nt acknowledge TB back at the bench as clearly shown after the Interception. The good news is that the rook wr's are starting to get it, they had crucial drops as well but it's all on the QB to most people. They will be Ok going forward.

Funny though, because your explanaition reminded me of what Gen. Douglas MacArthur explained to the Head coach at West Point when he was Commandant, going way back to the late 30's. Strolling down to the FB practice field was a favvy of his. He asked the HC about the forward pass, anyway, he explained that it would be better to throw to an exact spot, rather than the physical man, making it difficult for the enemy to defend .... long story. If you google the key words, you will find it.

That winning pass was just beautiful to watch, perfect spot and spiral. TB can still make the long and accurate throws, really had no-one since Moss left. Good to see BB happy at the end, tapping TB on opposite poles ..... think BB wanted to hug him .....'-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It's a really interesting play to analyze, and the great contributions from our Z and Low-FB-IQ make great reading on this thread.  I just watched it on the coaches film and two things I noticed that were interesting:

• At the time Brady releases the ball, Edelman and Dobson are quite close and both heading down field with the corner and safety in over-the-top coverage.  Dobson cuts in, but no one follows him, leaving Edelman in double coverage, but this happens after the ball has been released.  Dobson was outside and Edelman inside.  I'm not sure how the play was designed, but if Dobson had run straight donwfield staying outside he may have been able to run the corner out of the play.  More likely, though, the thought was that Dobson would draw either the safety or corner away and ensure the other defender stayed over the top on Edelman, leaving space for the underneath throw to the outside (what Brady threw).  
    • The biggest mistake I see is that Edelman is late picking up the ball and seems to misjudge it when he does pick it up.  From the endzone view you can clearly see the corner pick up the ball at the time it is realeased and track it all the way.  Edelman a half second later sees the corner's eyes on the ball and then looks over his wrong shoulder to find the ball.  By the time he gets turned back around and picks up the ball, the corner is about to catch it.  

I still really can't say who's at fault, but really it seems mostly like a play that didn't develop as expected since Dobson didn't draw away any coverage and Edelman didn't seem to realize the ball was thrown to him and adjust until too late. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Typical brady basher

[/QUOTE]

I know. Brady isn't perfect ... but here you have a WR taking blame on a play, and some people still want to disagree. 

It's ludicrous. 

[/QUOTE]

Wow...  You think Brady threw a good ball there...?  Really ?

[/QUOTE]

Do you understand how passing works? Most throws involve QBs throwing to a point in space ... not a WR in stride. The NFL isn't backyard football where people just run and you try to connect with them. 

If you see a FS over the top, but you also have steps on your CB/LBer (this was the case there) you usually break your route off into some shorter pattern.

If Edelman is supposed to run to a specific spot and turn around on a fade (he is, there was a safety over him) and he overruns the spot, it's always going to look like a pass to nowhere .... because the receiver wasn't where he should have been!

How hard is that to understand? 

Again, Brady isn't perfect. He's made his share of mistakes. That one is not on him. 

[/QUOTE]

In the  backyard football we play we always say run to spot X and cut (left or right) and come back and the ball is always released by the QB about the same time or before the  cut , it is devestating.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an excellent play.  Would be nice to see a fast guy like Boyce perfect that move.  Another play that you see other teams run alot is the back shoulder throw.  Receiver running with DB looks back for ball stops and catches it.  Would like to see Dobson (and Brady) perfect that move also.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's a really interesting play to analyze, and the great contributions from our Z and Low-FB-IQ make great reading on this thread.  I just watched it on the coaches film and two things I noticed that were interesting:

• At the time Brady releases the ball, Edelman and Dobson are quite close and both heading down field with the corner and safety in over-the-top coverage.  Dobson cuts in, but no one follows him, leaving Edelman in double coverage, but this happens after the ball has been released.  Dobson was outside and Edelman inside.  I'm not sure how the play was designed, but if Dobson had run straight donwfield staying outside he may have been able to run the corner out of the play.  More likely, though, the thought was that Dobson would draw either the safety or corner away and ensure the other defender stayed over the top on Edelman, leaving space for the underneath throw to the outside (what Brady threw).  
    • The biggest mistake I see is that Edelman is late picking up the ball and seems to misjudge it when he does pick it up.  From the endzone view you can clearly see the corner pick up the ball at the time it is realeased and track it all the way.  Edelman a half second later sees the corner's eyes on the ball and then looks over his wrong shoulder to find the ball.  By the time he gets turned back around and picks up the ball, the corner is about to catch it.  

I still really can't say who's at fault, but really it seems mostly like a play that didn't develop as expected since Dobson didn't draw away any coverage and Edelman didn't seem to realize the ball was thrown to him and adjust until too late. 

[/QUOTE]

Hey Pro...  You don't have to say who's at fault, but you can say that in that situation it is a bad throw.  Low percentage....   or even risky since you are throwing it up based on assumptions not to someone who is clearly open. 

The people who are saying Brady always throws the football to a perfect Spot where some receiver is supposed to be are beyond clueless.  Throwing footballs is hard.  The balls don't always get a perfect release from your hand.  Accuracy downfield on throws that go 30 yards through the air is like +/-  3-5 yards or something like that.

People think Throwing a deep ball is just a matter of seeing it and throwing it.    WRONG.  Try hitting a tire just 5 yards away sometime ,  see how you do.  It ain't easy. 

So innacuracy is part of the equation on deep balls.  The idea is sometimes to throw to a safe area where only your guy can run under it and adjust.  In this case with Edelman not so much.  It wasn't safe as Brady didn't see the guy peeling off coverage from Dobson.

Turns out it was a bad throw and Brady admitted it.  Its obvious. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Z - from those pics it was a high arcing ball that came down at the 37 yard line.  Edelman was at the 38.  I don't understand what you mean by Edelman should have cut his route off.    Can you elaborate?

Mighty, it's called a fade. 

On the play, the WR here has a "go" route (sometimes called a fly, or a streak, but we'll call it a go, only because I know Welker used to refer to it as go).

On a typical go route, you do what the name implies: you go. 

If there is single deep zone coverage, you head to the side of field where there is no coverage. If it's your side, you cut away from the CB zone in some other pattern, if it is the oppsite side, you continue to go. 

If you are in man-2-man coverage, or man-brackets, you might do a number of things. In this instance ... you fade. What that means is that the moment the QB sees the man-2-man coverage he is throwing a soft, arcing timing pass to a specific point upfield usually to the outside shoulder of the WR. The WR's job is to sell the go to the last second, fading his route at the end, where he turns to his outside shoulder, and makes his body as large as possible while getting underneath the pass.

You coach the player to act like a defender on this play as well. 

What was it supposed to look like? 

Try the winning pass in the game. That was a fade route to the corner IIRC. IF the WR had finished his route in the corner of the endzone not realizing he had a fade with single man coverage ... it probably could have been picked. It would have looked similar, with a WR three or four yards deeper than where the pass lands. 

For some basic instruction, here are some QBs throwing fade routes. Watch ...everyone in this but one guy who turns too late odes the same thing ... they sell a "go" route, then turn around and catch the lob pass. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkdDiELtZUo&noredirect=1

For an instance of the NE Patriots executing this correctly ... check the final play. It was a fade to Kenbrel Thompkins. 

On a successfully executed fade route, there is very little chance of an INT unless you let the CB get underneath you, in which case he could ID it. In most scenarios if the CB notices the WR already has position. The CB may break the pass up, but in  order to intercept the pass, he would have to drive through the WRs body, resulting in a PI call. 

Given that NE runs this route into man coverage about 3-5 times a game to various WRs ... I'm shocked that people are reacting like this. 

It's like the first time they've seen this team or something. 

Or football ... you see this route in college all the time. 

As far as whether Edelman is the right choice for a fade route ... you can judge that. NE's run this succesfully to Welker and Kevin Faulk, though taller WRs are obviously the better choice for running these types of routes. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Pro...  You don't have to say who's at fault, but you can say that in that situation it is a bad throw.  Low percentage....   or even risky since you are throwing it up based on assumptions not to someone who is clearly open. 

The people who are saying Brady always throws the football to a perfect Spot where some receiver is supposed to be are beyond clueless.  Throwing footballs is hard.  The balls don't always get a perfect release from your hand.  Accuracy downfield on throws that go 30 yards through the air is like +/-  3-5 yards or something like that.

People think Throwing a deep ball is just a matter of seeing it and throwing it.    WRONG.  Try hitting a tire just 5 yards away sometime ,  see how you do.  It ain't easy. 

So innacuracy is part of the equation on deep balls.  The idea is sometimes to throw to a safe area where only your guy can run under it and adjust.  In this case with Edelman not so much.  It wasn't safe as Brady didn't see the guy peeling off coverage from Dobson.

[/QUOTE]

There's a point that it's a higher risk throw and therefore not a good call, especially when you're relying on mediocre receivers like Edelman to make a strong play.  Part of the problem here is that the talent still isn't quite where it needs to be to allow the Pats to really excel in their passing game.  I'm quite optimistic that by season end Dobson and Tompkins are going to be good players, but right now the receiving corp isn't a very reliable one.  And that makes tough plays even tougher . . .

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There's a point that it's a higher risk throw and therefore not a good call, especially when you're relying on mediocre receivers like Edelman to make a strong play.  Part of the problem here is that the talent still isn't quite where it needs to be to allow the Pats to really excel in their passing game.  I'm quite optimistic that by season end Dobson and Tompkins are going to be good players, but right now the receiving corp isn't a very reliable one.  And that makes tough plays even tougher . . .

[/QUOTE]

Agree...  but you gotta believe these guys  have to improve on this stuff.  Hopefully its not a case of bad eyesight or something like that where player just can't pick up the ball in the air and judge the velocity.    Dobson worries me a little in this regard.  Brady throws bullets sometimes.  Welker was good at catching these bullets, so is Gronk and DA it seems. Dobson has good hands apparently but you have to see the ball quickly.  Maybe its just a matter of them relaxing and having the game "slow down" so to speak.    We shall see.