Breers' article on Colts - Why are Saints underdoggs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maninCA. Show maninCA's posts

Breers' article on Colts - Why are Saints underdoggs?

just reading the recent article pontificating the Colts brilliance, I have to wonder, why are the Saints such tremeandous underdoggs?  While the line in Vegas is only +4, in the mind of nearly every journalist and sports radio show that I have listened too, this game is all but decided.

Reading Breers' article, one blatant misquote jumps out, where he states "But it (Saints Defense) won’t get to Manning, it won’t create turnovers. . . . . Uhh, who is to say that the Colts will not turn the ball over?  And who is to say that the Saints, who led the NFL in turnover margin, will not continue to do what they have done all year long?

Why is it assumed that the Colts automatically win in the battle of wills in the turnover game?

I submit the first half results of the Jets game as proof of what could happen.  Saints force a couple of turnovers, as Jets did.  Unlike Jets, Saints do what they do and convert those turnovers to TD's.  Saints are up big at half time and do not let up.

I don't believe I've ever seen a SB so evenly matched, where one team is already been handed the trophy by the national media.  One team, the Saints, led the league in scoring and offense, played the defending NFC SB representative in the divisional playoff, dismantled them, then beat arguabely the best team in the league to earn it it's ticket.

The other team, the Colts, scraped by sub par competition all year long and beat two 9-7 teams to earn their ticket to the SB.   

Lastly, why is it assumed that the Colts 18th ranked D will even BEGIN to slow down the #1 offense in the NFL?  Because they are playing on grass??  Ask the Redskins whose 10th ranked D "held" the Saints to a meager 33 points how that worked out.

I see this game as close.  And as with any two evenly matched teams, turnovers will probably decide the game.  I think it could go either way, but I give the edge to the Saints, especially with a hobbled Freeney.

Saints 41 Colts 37.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Re: Breers' article on Colts - Why are Saints underdoggs?

if geyton throws two picks the saints win

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

two words; manning worship.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The reason the Colts are getting such huge run in the lead-up to this game is because everyone assumes (correctly, I believe) that the Saints will not be able to pressure Manning. There is simply no way an officiating crew is going to allow the Saints to treat Peyton the way they treated the Human Turnover two weeks ago. That just isn't going to happen. Conventional wisdom is that once Manning figures out what the Saints are doing on defense, he will carve them -- much the way he did against Green New Jersey in the AFC Championship Game. The question is: How big of a lead can the Saints post before that happens, and will they be able to keep up with the Colts once Indy's offense (or the officials, or a combination of both) starts to roll. Pats fans know that there is no such thing as an insurmountable lead against the Colts. I tend to think that N'awlins will be able to hang for most of the game, but ultimately the Colts will eke out a win because -- let's face it -- the Colts created the NFL as it is today. This flag football game that we're going to see tonight is brought to you exclusively by Polian Enterprises.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maninCA. Show maninCA's posts

P-Mike;

I wouldn't be suprised to see it go down that way either.  But at the same time, more questions she be asked of how in the hell the Colts will pressure Brees and his multiple looks with Freeney at 50%?

Saints have generated turnovers all year long.  The big X factor for me here is Darren Sharper roaming around in the secondary.  He's made plays and created turnovers all year long, and he's going to be matching wits against Peyton.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

It's simple.  Because Albert said so.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I wonder that too.  I guess because Manning has been the best QB the last 5 years or so everyone assumes it's all about stopping him.  Brees hs been the best QB in 2009 and I don't see how the Colts will stop him.  The Pats not so potent offense this year passed the ball pretty easily against the Colts, I expect the Saints to be able to do even better.  I think it will be a close game with Saints on top.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

pmike - the only thing I will refute here is the beneficial officiating part.  If Pats fans believe that the NFL generally wants nothing more than its face (peyton manning) to win, that is thrown out the window in this game. 

The saints have soooooooooooo (enough emphasis?) much national backing that a colts win might actually turn them into national villains. 

No way (if you believe the colts always get beneficial calls {where's root}) questionable calls will favor the colts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

the saints did a good job of getting to favre. however manning releases the ball about half a sec faster. if the saints want to get to manning they need to get the receivers covered long enough so the DL can get to manning.

based on what they showed vs the vikes, i think the saints cbs and safeties can handle wayne, collie and garcon. however, in that game, there were holes underneath that clark will try to take advantage of. so the big question is whether the saints can figure out a way for the LBs to close down clark long enough for the DL to get to manning.

if i were running the d, i would try to make manning think coverage deep on the first few defensive plays, but really cover the 5-15 yrd area. there is some risk of a big play, but with manning you have to gamble a little.

if the saints get the lead, early, i believe they can beat the colts. they have a balanced enough offense to keep the colts guessing on d. they should be able to keep manning off the field.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I recall the same thing with SB42 and we know what happened!  On any given Sunday!!!!

Also, about the points made about the Saints defense pressuring Manning...  I KNOW some of those hits Favre took in the NFCCG, if they happen to Manning,  WILL be flags in this game, no doubt.  Unless Manning does his curl up and dive plays.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

agcs, i agree the saints will be flagged a lot. i do think though that the saints can't worry about that. they need to keep hitting manning and show him that they are not worried about the flags. i don't think manning is tough as favre. i believe he's going to be distracted once he suffers a big hit. if that big hit or two gets delivered early in the game, penalty or not, advantage goes to the saints.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

If the saints play the same way they did against Minny, they will be flagged.  That has been a topic of discussion, but I'll bet that they take a couple of shots anyway.  especially if the Colts are near a score, and if the saints are up. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

underdoggg you just admitted the colts get favorite treatment from the refs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

dogg, your candor is appreciated with your comment that the same hits Favre received in the Vikings game will most likely be flags in this game. THAT is truly SAD!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Hillary - the colts do get calls.  As do all other teams.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Everyone believes that the Colts' defense is a great defense because they beat up two one dimensional offense in the Ravens and Jets, sure both teams have a good running game, but niether has the best QB of the past two years and an OC--Head Coach-- with the as much knowledge and understanding of an offense as Belichick has on defense.

It would be so sweet if the Saints win, but all we can do is hope and pray.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

the name is Sir Pinochle d bag

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maninCA. Show maninCA's posts

Good points about pressuring Manning and his quick release.  We all know at some point Manning will get some sort of a handle on what is going on and make some plays, score some points.  But, that does not mean he will not turn the ball over. 

Greg Williams has been a master at flustering great QB's this year and disguising coverages. I don't see any reason why he cannot do the same to Manning long enough to get the ball in Brees hands and score some points.

The other point to consider, how is the Colts undersized front going to handle the Saints physical run game?  Any way you slice it, I don't see the Colts having any clear advantage in any phase of this game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

maninCA, manning can be flusterred and forced to make mistakes is exactly what i was trying to say. you are tight about the OL as well. i think the vikes OL is better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

dogg.... agreed .. ALL teams benefit from calls...
    HOWEVER... NO TEAM BENEFITS MORE FROM TIMELY CALLS AS DO THE COLTS.

It's just expected.....crucial time of a drive or game....you will see flags thrown
    in favor fot he Colts.

Pats have in the past benfited too but good grief....it is sooooooooooooo blatant
    when the Colts are conerned.

It it intentional?  I dunno
    Maybe its just expected that if GOD throws an incompletion it MUST be beacuse of a PI.  Its a bad minsdet that has been established in the NFL. 

I agree.... todays NFL was created by Polian and the Colts and is just glorified
    flag football.

Just stay tuned...I will be shocked if there arn't at least 3-4 timely flags thrown
    in the Colts favor.  It's just a given....smash mouth (real football)  is dead.

It's no coincdience that the Colts rise to prominence began after the Pats literally
    smakced the Colts around and the "rules" were "emphasized"

Football or should I say Polianball is for pu@sies

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

If the Saints get flagged today for the same type of shots they laid on Farve (without getting flagged) then heck ther NFL and the Colts are just a joke

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i think there's a lower chance of them geting favorable calls today, unless they want to crowd to start calling the guys in zebra shirts katrina

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

The vikes o-line was extrememly overrated, they kept 6-7 guys up front  almost 70% of the time this year. And thats not including Taylor in the backfield. Ive been waiting for the Saints to break out for 4 years now, Im a big Brees fan. I also pride myself on being as unbiased as possible. That said I like the Saints in almost every catagory, my buddy has the package so Ive seen the Saints quite a bit this year. Ill take their D, IMHO the Saints have a better secondary and I really think their front seven is just as good, even with a healthy Freeney. Something Ive noticed and picked up on is how great a job the Saints do at manipulating the opposing teams LB's. I noticed it in an earlier game this year versus Phila and then again a couple weeks later versus Miami. IMHO the LB's are the most talented and athletic guys on D, and in some cases maybe on the team. The Saints have done an excellant job all year keeping them off balenced, confused, and using that advantage to control the middle of the field for crossing patterns, slants, and seems etc. Controling and using the middle of the field plays a huge part in what the Saints want to accomplish on O. I think they keep that up today and win a great game...Im saying 33/27 Saints!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

LMAO... if you did'nt already, now you see exactly how much breer knows.... which is zilch!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrambled-eggs. Show scrambled-eggs's posts

Where's Breer's article? I posted this morning I'd be back this evening. Thought I'd log in and get myself a 15 yard penatly for taunting. Somehow, Albert , tony Dungy and "easy for me" manning have already left the stadium.