Brees is a s c u m b a g

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Brees is a s c u m b a g

First:

Denies any knowledge of any supposed bountygate, this well after Williams' ommission. Apparently the franchise QB, face of the team, team Captain didn't know what the GM, Owner, head Coach, D Coordinator, LBs coach, and at least 25 other players knew.

"I did not participate in any bounty program, nor did I have any knowledge relating to its real existence," Brees said. "I have spent the last several years as an Executive Committee Member of the NFLPA making health and safety a priority and I am proud of the advancements we've made and will continue to make.

"We are all working diligently to find the truth in this matter and if the facts prove there was improper behavior, we will hold ourselves accountable. Until that time, we will stand together and remain united as an organization."

Second:

The punishment comes down, and he states, about his coach, via twitter:

"I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor. The best there is. I need to hear an explanation for this punishment"

Well, you got your explanation, that great coach, mentor, and MAN willingly contributed to a disgusting practice. Great message to send.

Greg Williams, he of the worst punishment, is the only one, to me, who deserves the slightest bit of leniency, at least he has been forthright and honest since it broke. No excuses, no defense, just apology after apology, as it should be.

Brees, he should be ashamed and immediately removed from any Exec Board Committee seat he may hold. What a fraud. He's venturing to Tiger Woods territory in my eyes: the image he's built up is a sham.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: Brees is a s c u m b a g

i dont think defending his coach is a bad thing, however it is very unlikely that he had no idea it was happening unless he had his head in the clouds the past three years

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I have no problem with him defending his coach, but he went way beyond that.

Shut your mouth, or say something to the effect of "it's an unfortunate situation. We made a mistake as a team, and will suffer the consequences as a team, and move on."

It's a total embarrassment, or should be, and Brees has been taking a stance as if to say "how dare anyone say anthing bad about us."

I've lost all respect for him when considering his obnoxious contract demands in the midst of the franchise dealing with this. Put your money where your mouth is and ink a long term deal fraud.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Brees is a s c u m b a g:
    [QUOTE]First: Denies any knowledge of any supposed bountygate, this well after Williams' ommission. Apparently the franchise QB, face of the team, team Captain didn't know what the GM, Owner, head Coach, D Coordinator, LBs coach, and at least 25 other players knew. "I did not participate in any bounty program, nor did I have any knowledge relating to its real existence," Brees said. "I have spent the last several years as an Executive Committee Member of the NFLPA making health and safety a priority and I am proud of the advancements we've made and will continue to make. "We are all working diligently to find the truth in this matter and if the facts prove there was improper behavior, we will hold ourselves accountable. Until that time, we will stand together and remain united as an organization." Second: The punishment comes down, and he states, about his coach, via twitter: "I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor. The best there is. I need to hear an explanation for this punishment" Well, you got your explanation, that great coach, mentor, and MAN willingly contributed to a disgusting practice. Great message to send. Greg Williams, he of the worst punishment, is the only one, to me, who deserves the slightest bit of leniency, at least he has been forthright and honest since it broke. No excuses, no defense, just apology after apology, as it should be. Brees, he should be ashamed and immediately removed from any Exec Board Committee seat he may hold. What a fraud. He's venturing to Tiger Woods territory in my eyes: the image he's built up is a sham.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

You're right...Brees is lying about not knowing what went on. But, referring to him as an s...bag is going a bit too far.

Though Roger Goodell was right in handing down heavy punishments in this case, bounties have been going on in football pretty much since the game was created. Teams always shoot to knock out the opposing star players. Every time a player tackles a guy, the tackler wants to hit that player hard, in hopes of intimidating that player, or forcing a fumble. 

If the player tackled is hurt by the tackle, it may nueter that player's effectiveness throughout the remainder of the game. For example, a hard hit may cause a WR to develop alligator arms while trying to catch a pass over the middle...or cause him to take his eyes off a pass, looking for the CB or LB waiting to spring on him. It may cause a QB to develop happy feet, and rush his throws, leading to interceptions. Hard hits are, and will remain, a part of the game.

The NFL will not be able to legislate hard hits from the game, without converting the sport of football into something else. Despite his heavy-handed punishment, things are not going to drastically change. There will always be unspoken bounties...just the reward factor (money) will be taken out of play. 

All this talk about how the Saints 2009 championship might be "tainted" due to "Bounty-gate" is ridiculous. The Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders, New York Giants, and Chicago Bears are examples of celebrated franchises who made their bones in the NFL through intimidation.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Brees is a s c u m b a g:
    [QUOTE]First: Denies any knowledge of any supposed bountygate, this well after Williams' ommission. Apparently the franchise QB, face of the team, team Captain didn't know what the GM, Owner, head Coach, D Coordinator, LBs coach, and at least 25 other players knew. "I did not participate in any bounty program, nor did I have any knowledge relating to its real existence," Brees said. "I have spent the last several years as an Executive Committee Member of the NFLPA making health and safety a priority and I am proud of the advancements we've made and will continue to make. "We are all working diligently to find the truth in this matter and if the facts prove there was improper behavior, we will hold ourselves accountable. Until that time, we will stand together and remain united as an organization." Second: The punishment comes down, and he states, about his coach, via twitter: "I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor. The best there is. I need to hear an explanation for this punishment" Well, you got your explanation, that great coach, mentor, and MAN willingly contributed to a disgusting practice. Great message to send. Greg Williams, he of the worst punishment, is the only one, to me, who deserves the slightest bit of leniency, at least he has been forthright and honest since it broke. No excuses, no defense, just apology after apology, as it should be. Brees, he should be ashamed and immediately removed from any Exec Board Committee seat he may hold. What a fraud. He's venturing to Tiger Woods territory in my eyes: the image he's built up is a sham.

No, he is not.  Neither is Williams, Payton or anyone.  Here is MY truth... the one I believe makes the most sense.  "SPYGATE" wasn't a real offense, it was a rule breaking that should have been stopped.  Some penalty for infraction should be due, but nothing major, just enough to make people stop doing it.  "BOUNTYGATE" also is not a real offense.  If a hit was illegal, FLAG IT.  These guys get paid huge amounts of money to play, the very idea that $1000 will make them hit someone more, or harder, is foolish.  It only served to jack guys up, no more or less and Ray Lewis' silly pregame dance.  Lets all get over it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

QUITE TO THE CONTRARY, BREES IS A VERY GOOD GUY

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I always wanted to inflict pain when I played, but no matter how much I disliked the guy I lined up against, I never wanted to INJURE them.

After the NFC championship game against the Vikings, I said "it was pretty clear that the Saints were trying to knock Favre out of the game", and everyone looked at me like I was a conspiracy theorist.

If they weren't making all those unneccesary hits, Favre probably tucks the ball and runs for a few yards instead of throwing across his body and not giving Longwell a shot at a 47-yarder.

Sorry, but what the Saints have done is dirty as s***.

The Pats never lay hard enough hits to even suspect this. There was only one hit this year by a Pats player that was memorable, and I highly doubt the Pats put a bounty on Jake Ballard.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I agree Brees is lying through his teeth or is absolutely the dumbest player known. S_ _ _ Bag is a bit too much but he lost a lot of respect in my eyes. If you have kids who play sports or are involved in youth sports you understand all sports have risk of injury and to think that some in the professional ranks were trying to injur for money is sickening.
    Any penalty Goodell wants is ok with me on this. I understand Greg Williams has done a complete mea culpa but he deserves at least the year and then apply for reinstatement and prove to me (if I was the comish) that you get it and maybe I let you back in. Same deal for Sean Peyton, I would say apply for reinstatement after 8  games half a season and I will make a decision by the 12th game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nonola. Show nonola's posts

Brees may be in denial but he's not a s---bag. Saints fans are suffering down here and most are blaming all the wrong people. Real football fans are discouraged but admit these violations were bad until the cover up was revealed that made them reprehensible.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

I disagree with Drew Brees being a s***bag but I find it funny that all the current players on the Saints are acting as if this didn't happen.  Jabari Greer and Darren Sharper still refer to them as allegations even though Gregg Williams admitted to it and the NFL's investigation proved them to be true.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

As is always the case it is the coverup that is worse then the crime... though this crime was a bit sickening... also on a legal aside this is close to assault for hire. A Major Felony in all 50 states.  I bet my cousin who works as an ADA could find a jury to convict.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I think we will find out Brees isn't the superstar the NFL has made him.  Their offensive line had something special hooked up with the NFL.  There was nobody that held like they did.  I'm expecting that to change now.  We'll see how good Brees his running around for his life trying to find a receiver.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nonola. Show nonola's posts

In response to "Re: Brees is a s c u m b a g": [QUOTE]I think we will find out Brees isn't the superstar the NFL has made him.  Their offensive line had something special hooked up with the NFL.  There was nobody that held like they did.  I'm expecting that to change now.  We'll see how good Brees his running around for his life trying to find a receiver. Posted by MichFan[/QUOTE] I agree but I can't tell my friends down here that. Losing Nicks is going to hurt Brees big time. Considering his replacement is nowhere near the player, losing him for 10 million diff over four years didn't make sense. Another problem is Graham the TE who thinks as a receiver first second and third before even considering blocking.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I am fully aware that bounties have long been a part of football...until the NFL sent out a very clear message to STOP!

Should we overlook facemasks? It was the preferred way to tackle for years! Is it a good defense to say "it used to happen all the time"?

WRs have been able to blindside unsuspecting defenders for years, so why outlaw it? Should they still do it anyway, and then deny doing it?

The game evolves, anyone refusing to evolve with it does not have to accept millions of dollars to play or coach.

On one hand you have baseball and the PED witch-hunt with people constantly crowing "think of the kids!" But this pay-for-thuggery is widely accepted because "it's always been that way"? How progressive. Apply that logic to the rest of your lives and see how that works out...

Given the scope on the team, who this team is, and where the league is obviously trying to head...this, to me, is one of the the worst on-field scandals in recent history. Not trumping Penn St, but that was off the field. Only Pete Rose's gambling scandal and the PED nonsense come to mind as being as damaging to a whole sport. Well, the Donaghy thing would count...if anyone took the NBA seriously anymore, but their more akin to WWE at this point.

For Brees to be anything but apologetic for his being AT LEAST being guilty by association is a joke. When you, or your team gets caught so red handed, you accept the punishment with some class, not spout on about what a great guy the ringleader was, and feel like you need an explanation. And you DEFINITELAY don't go on about how you've been "a member of blah blah committee working on the health and safety of the players". Oh sorry Drew, forgot you're such a Saint....HA!

The quicker he shuts his mouth, the sooner he can stop devouring his own leg.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I don't buy that Brees had no idea about the the bounty system, it was going on for years, it just isn't realistic that he never heard a word about it. 

I think it is pretty morally low for a Brees or any offensive player on the Saints to know that their defense is engaging in this practice.

I'm guessing this hurts the Saints, along with the fact that Brees is unhappy about his contract situation, to the tune of a 9-7 record next year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In Response to Re: Brees is a s c u m b a g:
    [QUOTE]I always wanted to inflict pain when I played, but no matter how much I disliked the guy I lined up against, I never wanted to INJURE them. After the NFC championship game against the Vikings, I said "it was pretty clear that the Saints were trying to knock Favre out of the game", and everyone looked at me like I was a conspiracy theorist. If they weren't making all those unneccesary hits, Favre probably tucks the ball and runs for a few yards instead of throwing across his body and not giving Longwell a shot at a 47-yarder. Sorry, but what the Saints have done is dirty as s***. The Pats never lay hard enough hits to even suspect this. There was only one hit this year by a Pats player that was memorable, and I highly doubt the Pats put a bounty on Jake Ballard.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

Gronk's one on one block on Suggs in the AFC championship was pretty special i thought, i've never seen him look soo useless. We all found out who the best TE in the NFL is that day...that is if there was any remaining doubt!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

bump

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Rame....wth? Trying to dominate the board?

Bumping EVERY thread is the same as bumping NO threads.

Is this how you amass 11k posts? 6k+ 'bump's?

Gronk FLATTENED Suggs, that was awesome. I had a non-public bounty going on. I sent Gronk a 5 and a can of soda...I hope Goodell doesn't catch wind of it, that $6 loss off the cap could really cripple the Pats.

That's one thing that hasn't been mentioned...this paying out is in direct violation of the salary cap in addition to being outlawed. Any money paid to players for ANY performance or bonus is supposed to be accounted for under the cap. These players were paid money for what they did on the field. The Saints may yet join DAL and WASH in surrending cap space in addition to the long list of penalties they've ALREADY faced. It's known Goodell and the NFLPA are working out what to do with players involved such as Vilma, I wonder if they are figuring out what to do with the cap as well. Even a $1mil penalty makes a difference.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I cant for the life of me understand why people are SOOOO upset about this, where the plays were allowed, and no one cares at all when the Giants players say they targetted a guy who had a concussion history and "rang his bell" to get him to fumble.  INTENTIONALLY GIVING A GUY A CONCUSSION is way, way way closer to evil than paying guys to do something they already get paid to do.  But no one is going to fine the GIANT players, or coach, or GM, are they?  Yet, they admitted their behavoir and intention right in the sports news.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I am fully aware that bounties have long been a part of football...until the NFL sent out a very clear message to STOP! 

RESPONSE: I'm not arguing that the punished assessed wasn't right on the money. But, what do you expect Brees to do...pile on his coach? Sure he lied about not knowing anything about the bounty system. That's disappointing...but, does that alone make him a s...bag?   

Should we overlook facemasks? It was the preferred way to tackle for years! Is it a good defense to say "it used to happen all the time"? WRs have been able to blindside unsuspecting defenders for years, so why outlaw it? Should they still do it anyway, and then deny doing it?

RESPONSE: Stop being hysterical. Again...no one is saying that laying the hammer down on the Saints wasn't the right thing to do.
         My only point is, how much is enough? Football is a violent game. The league has legislated out hits to a QB's head, below his knee, and nearly spontaneous hits made after the ball is thrown are routinely flagged for roughing the passer. WRs can't be touched 5 yards off the line of scrimmage...hitting a defenseless player is very subjective (though such a rule was long overdue). Face-mask and horse-collar tackles are routinely, and rightfully, flagged. But, the league can't legislate all of the violence out of the game, without changing the game to something other than football. 
         Though the harsh punishment was correctly assessed...my point is that the violence, and the mentality to hit to hurt will always be there, so long as football remains football.  

The game evolves, anyone refusing to evolve with it does not have to accept millions of dollars to play or coach. On one hand you have baseball and the PED witch-hunt with people constantly crowing "think of the kids!" But this pay-for-thuggery is widely accepted because "it's always been that way"? How progressive. Apply that logic to the rest of your lives and see how that works out... Given the scope on the team, who this team is, and where the league is obviously trying to head...this, to me, is one of the the worst on-field scandals in recent history.

RESPONSE: For the third time...no one is arguing that the punishment wasn't called for.

Not trumping Penn St, but that was off the field. Only Pete Rose's gambling scandal and the PED nonsense come to mind as being as damaging to a whole sport.

RESPONSE: How is "Bounty-gate scandal" "damaging to the whole sport"?
    If anything, this stuff coming to light is a positive thing...allowing the league to take a strong stance against such things.  

Well, the Donaghy thing would count...if anyone took the NBA seriously anymore, but their more akin to WWE at this point.

RESPONSE: Your comment about is an insult to the WWE...LOL!!!

For Brees to be anything but apologetic for his being AT LEAST being guilty by association is a joke. When you, or your team gets caught so red handed, you accept the punishment with some class, not spout on about what a great guy the ringleader was, and feel like you need an explanation. And you DEFINITELAY don't go on about how you've been "a member of blah blah committee working on the health and safety of the players". Oh sorry Drew, forgot you're such a Saint....HA! The quicker he shuts his mouth, the sooner he can stop devouring his own leg.

RESPONSE: The guy lied to protect his team, coaches, teammates, and, himself...from damaging discipline. But, again, calling a guy a s-bag just for this, who has done so much good work in the New Orleans community and for veterans, is harsh.    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brees is a s c u m b a g :
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    Just wondering...

Was Brees interviewed by and did he lie to the NFL or are you guys just talking about the media?

Personally I think everybody should always lie to the media. Good medicine for their constant rumor mongering.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brees is a s c u m b a g : Just wondering... Was Brees interviewed by and did he lie to the NFL or are you guys just talking about the media? Personally I think everybody should always lie to the media. Good medicine for their constant rumor mongering.
    Posted by glenr[/QUOTE]

You have to lie to the media in order for them to understand you. They have severe problems comprehending the truth.

LOL!!!  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I am fully aware that bounties have long been a part of football...until the NFL sent out a very clear message to STOP! Should we overlook facemasks? It was the preferred way to tackle for years! Is it a good defense to say "it used to happen all the time"? WRs have been able to blindside unsuspecting defenders for years, so why outlaw it? Should they still do it anyway, and then deny doing it? The game evolves, anyone refusing to evolve with it does not have to accept millions of dollars to play or coach. On one hand you have baseball and the PED witch-hunt with people constantly crowing "think of the kids!" But this pay-for-thuggery is widely accepted because "it's always been that way"? How progressive. Apply that logic to the rest of your lives and see how that works out... Given the scope on the team, who this team is, and where the league is obviously trying to head...this, to me, is one of the the worst on-field scandals in recent history. Not trumping Penn St, but that was off the field. Only Pete Rose's gambling scandal and the PED nonsense come to mind as being as damaging to a whole sport. Well, the Donaghy thing would count...if anyone took the NBA seriously anymore, but their more akin to WWE at this point. For Brees to be anything but apologetic for his being AT LEAST being guilty by association is a joke. When you, or your team gets caught so red handed, you accept the punishment with some class, not spout on about what a great guy the ringleader was, and feel like you need an explanation. And you DEFINITELAY don't go on about how you've been "a member of blah blah committee working on the health and safety of the players". Oh sorry Drew, forgot you're such a Saint....HA! The quicker he shuts his mouth, the sooner he can stop devouring his own leg.

I hate to have to agree with Jason Whitlock about anything. But, he and I appear to be somewhat on the same page:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-orleans-saints-bountygate-punishment-wont-end-violence-032212

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Scumb@g? Dislike using such harsh words when i can but certainly a lying hypocrite "in this instance". He could otherwise be a good guy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Why is Brees trying to ruin his reputation? Wow. Talk about a long fall down for the Saints.