BRENDON MERIWEATHER: AFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK..A PRO BOWLER?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

BRENDON MERIWEATHER: AFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK..A PRO BOWLER?

What a steal this guy is becoming for Belichick. he's making that largely failed draft of '07 look better now. Hope it continies. Bel has lots of confidence in and praise for this kid. Very versatile and smart. Plus he's cheap! Pats are suddenly stacked again at every defensive position through at least next year. All those future draft picks can really be to push the incumbents or just be for tinkering and getting younger or for trade baits to get even more lethal. Like on the offensive line, we can get really get better in a hurry on the cheap while phasing out the competent present guys as they get older and more expensive.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: BRENDON MERIWEATHER: AFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK!

He was a 1st rounder. So hardly a steal. Many felt that he would morph into Ed Reed, he's gradually getting to that level. Both were drafted 24th overall. Like I said it's more about living up to expectations than proclaiming him a steal. Smart football player and high FB I Q . The 2007 draft stunk (Oscar Lua ?), but alot of people expected Meriweather to be Ed Reed right away and I always felt that we would see what kind of player he was in his 2nd or 3rd year. When you have players like Sanders and Harrison at your spot on the roster it's more difficult to get significant playing time. Meriweather is looking very good and that will continue. Keep in mind that over the last 5 years you could make an argument that Ed Reed was the best DB in the NFL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Ed Reed was not "Ed Reed" right away, nice to see he is being compared to him and working to getting there!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

If they're looking QB early next year, I'd much prefer Clausen to Bradford.  Clausen is already playing in a pro-style offense, run by Charlie Weis no less so his acclimation to the NE offense would be accelerated.  Not to mention he has proven to be an excellent leader, can make all the throws and has brought his team back in the 4th quarter numerous times.  Bradford is a good player, I just prefer Clausen.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I just hope stuff like this doesnt make him go "Asante Samuel" on us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: BRENDON MERIWEATHER: AFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK!:
    [QUOTE]I just hope stuff like this doesnt make him go "Asante Samuel" on us.
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Personally I don't see anything wrong with a player wanting to get paid, it's the "American Way"......if the general public isn't expected to take the "hometown discount" then why should a professional athlete?  Why not maximize your earnings while your young and able to?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BRENDON MERIWEATHER: AFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK! : Personally I don't see anything wrong with a player wanting to get paid, it's the "American Way"......if the general public isn't expected to take the "hometown discount" then why should a professional athlete?  Why not maximize your earnings while your young and able to?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Add to that the fact that the owners make Billions, not millions, but Billions, and do much less work (honestly porbably nothing) than Asante does to actually make that money.

I didn't want him back at the price he was asking, but I fully understand (and support) why he asks for it. He is earning it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BRENDON MERIWEATHER: AFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK! : Personally I don't see anything wrong with a player wanting to get paid, it's the "American Way"......if the general public isn't expected to take the "hometown discount" then why should a professional athlete?  Why not maximize your earnings while your young and able to?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Add to that the fact that most fans have ZERO loyalty to a player.  As soon as a player has sees his better days in the rearview mirror, fans will be screaming for his head.  If it looks like the guy can be traded to better the team, fans will scream for a trade.  Remember someone posting after Welker's first game in 2007 a thread titled Troy Who?  Remember all the calls to trade Brady?  I bet that made him want to give the local fans a break...  Granted, most fans show respect to those players who have earned it, but most all fans also want what is best for their team.  We treat it like a business, so we can't blame the players for doing the same.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Ed Reed exploded on to the scene. In  all fairness though, he came into a defense that was essentially the best in all football, and replaced Rod Woodson.

Ed Reed will go down as the best combo safety ever . . . OK, maybe that is still Ronnie Lott.

At #24 Ed Reed is a steal, he exceeds anything you expect from even a top ten draft pick.

Comparing them is unfair, especially considering most of the comparison has to do with Miami.

Since Rodney went down, BM has been as good as any safety in the NFL, except for Ed Reed. If he doesn't make the pro-bowl it is a miscarriage of justice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

[QUOTE]If they're looking QB early next year, I'd much prefer Clausen to Bradford.  Clausen is already playing in a pro-style offense, run by Charlie Weis no less so his acclimation to the NE offense would be accelerated.  Not to mention he has proven to be an excellent leader, can make all the throws and has brought his team back in the 4th quarter numerous times.  Bradford is a good player, I just prefer Clausen.......
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]Clausen likely will be a top 5 pick. Bradford COULD drop all the way to the tail end of the first round. Pats may have to give serious thought to trading or SEYMOURING Brady this offseason if he insists on big-timing them in negotiations since his present deal runs out after next year.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BRENDON MERIWEATHER: AFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK! : Clausen likely will be a top 5 pick. Bradford COULD drop all the way to the tail end of the first round. Pats may have to give serious thought to trading or SEYMOURING Brady this offseason if he insists on big-timing them in negotiations since his present deal runs out after next year.  
    Posted by choircontrarian[/QUOTE]

Both are good players and should come off the board in round 1 (assuming Bradford is fully recovered).  How high or low is not clear at this point, but there could be upwards of 10 teams looking to upgrade their QB position come draft time and most of them are expected to have high picks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BRENDON MERIWEATHER: AFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK! : Add to that the fact that the owners make Billions, not millions, but Billions, and do much less work (honestly porbably nothing) than Asante does to actually make that money. I didn't want him back at the price he was asking, but I fully understand (and support) why he asks for it. He is earning it.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Agreed with the overall premise, why is it OK for owners to make billions, but athletes who want big contracts are selfish?  Players should get as much as owners are willing to pay.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BRENDON MERIWEATHER: AFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK! : Add to that the fact that most fans have ZERO loyalty to a player.  As soon as a player has sees his better days in the rearview mirror, fans will be screaming for his head.  If it looks like the guy can be traded to better the team, fans will scream for a trade.  Remember someone posting after Welker's first game in 2007 a thread titled Troy Who?  Remember all the calls to trade Brady?  I bet that made him want to give the local fans a break...  Granted, most fans show respect to those players who have earned it, but most all fans also want what is best for their team.  We treat it like a business, so we can't blame the players for doing the same.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Espnetboy3. Show Espnetboy3's posts

Ok first off, we are not taking a top QB name in the draft. We wont waste a pick to have a qb sit on the bench for at least 5 YEARS. 2nd is that BM was only compared to Ed reed cause they went to the U and were drafted teh same # and are good friends, besides that you cant compare a college kid coming into the nfl to Edward Reed, thats just unfair. Also whoever said owners do nothing are clueless, these owners are Mogul top tier business men. They work very hard long hours and run huge multiple organizations. Try to Wikipedia Robert Kraft or Danny Schneider from the redskins etc.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Ok first off, we are not taking a top QB name in the draft. We wont waste a pick to have a qb sit on the bench for at least 5 YEARS. 2nd is that BM was only compared to Ed reed cause they went to the U and were drafted teh same # and are good friends, besides that you cant compare a college kid coming into the nfl to Edward Reed, thats just unfair. Also whoever said owners do nothing are clueless, these owners are Mogul top tier business men. They work very hard long hours and run huge multiple organizations. Try to Wikipedia Robert Kraft or Danny Schneider from the redskins etc.
    Posted by Espnetboy3[/QUOTE]

Taking a QB high to groom as the replacement to a future HOF'r and icon certainly didn't work out for Green Bay........

If there is one thing we know about BB and his draft strategy, it's that we have no idea what he'll do.

Are there more pressing needs? Certainly.  Is it conceivable?  IMO, yes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Espnetboy3. Show Espnetboy3's posts

Just saying we are going to resign brady to a new deal , i dont believe this draft we will choose our qb for the half a decade later, not yet at least. I do agree we have no clue what Billy B will do.

Also people forget the 2007 draft was one of our best yet, Wes Welker and Randy Moss came from that draft, along with Brandon Meriweather. Did mankins come there or 2006? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Just saying we are going to resign brady to a new deal , i dont believe this draft we will choose our qb for the half a decade later, not yet at least. I do agree we have no clue what Billy B will do. Also people forget the 2007 draft was one of our best yet, Wes Welker and Randy Moss came from that draft, along with Brandon Meriweather. Did mankins come there or 2006? 
    Posted by Espnetboy3[/QUOTE]

Mankins was 2005.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Meriweather has been compared to Ed Reed since his days at Miami.  Its not an all of a sudden comparision cause of school and both being a late round pick. 

He also trains with Reed in the offseason.

As far as QB,  I would love to get Clausen.  I think he is going to be a good pro.  I think he will be better than Bradford.

But ultimitely, Hoyer will be our QB.  I think BB likes this guy and will continue to groom him under the system.  But thats whenever brady decides to retire.  Which I hope doesnt happen for some time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Is there really discussion of drafting a top quarterback next year going on?  Brady is 32 and will play AT LEAST 6 more years.  Not really ideal to draft Jimmy Clausen in the first round and have him sit on the bench until he's almost 30.  Just my opinion.

And whoever said consider trading Brady, there is more of a chance of a meteor hitting earth and humans going extinct before the 2010 season than the Patriots trading Tom Brady.

Oh, and Brandon Meriweather is a beast.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Re: BRENDON MERIWEATHER: AFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK..A PRO BOWLER?

Not sure how we got to owner bashing on this thread but,  

"the owners make Billions (obviously not a finance major, there are not teams in the league with billions in profits) and do much less work, honestly probably nothing." 

So Kraft taking over the team and it turning into a dynasty??? What a lucky bastarge he is. 

go figure

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

I love this guys attitude man! One helluvan athlete coming into his own.  With a tough stretch ahead of us BM has a chance to show if he is to be taken seriously in this league for now & years to come.  A pro bowl has to be in his future but it''ll be hard with the games best in the AFC in Polamalu, Sanders, Reed... Shud B interesting.  And to think i wanted Nelson or Griffin to slip to us...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: BRENDON MERIWEATHER: AFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK..A PRO BOWLER?:
    [QUOTE]I love this guys attitude man! One helluvan athlete coming into his own.  With a tough stretch ahead of us BM has a chance to show if he is to be taken seriously in this league for now & years to come.  A pro bowl has to be in his future but it''ll be hard with the games best in the AFC in Polamalu, Sanders, Reed... Shud B interesting.  And to think i wanted Nelson or Griffin to slip to us...
    Posted by 617AcrossDaBoard[/QUOTE]

Griffin  has 158 tackles and 10 INT's through his first 2.5 years and made the Pro-Bowl last year.  Nelson has 149 tackles and 7 picks over the same period of time.

Meriweather has 149 tackles and 6 picks, so the numbers are pretty close across the board. 

All three have been pretty good to this point in their careers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to BRENDON MERIWEATHER: AFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK..A PRO BOWLER?:
    [QUOTE]http://bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/?p=4379&srvc=sports&position=recent_bullet What a steal this guy is becoming for Belichick. he's making that largely failed draft of '07 look better now. Hope it continies. Bel has lots of confidence in and praise for this kid. Very versatile and smart. Plus he's cheap! Pats are suddenly stacked again at every defensive position through at least next year. All those future draft picks can really be to push the incumbents or just be for tinkering and getting younger or for trade baits to get even more lethal. Like on the offensive line, we can get really get better in a hurry on the cheap while phasing out the competent present guys as they get older and more expensive.  
    Posted by bubbakilla[/QUOTE]

I like him alot but he needs to make a name for himself before these guys will vote him to the pro bowl. The AFC has some good safeties ahead of him but I'm thinking he has a good shot next year. He just needs the press to start talking about him a little more.  And yes, you gotta love all the draft picks.. Draft day is a holiday for me.